Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Is anybody worried about the franchise future?

Go down 
+24
Spiegel
Oviraptor
Dilophosaurus
lblanc
TyrannosaurTJ
1morey
Mr. Robustus
doyouthinkhesaurus
Six-Foot Turkey
Bbrink1996
BarrytheOnyx
BoulderFaceplant
Sickle_Claw
Dead2009
Spinosaur4.4
Rhedosaurus
Deinonychus
#TRexSpinorematch
Megatron
Frills n Thrills
Tyrant Lizard
Troyal1
Physalisfresser
TheDreamMaster
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
BoulderFaceplant
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2018 6:17 pm

One great thing about the JW films is you can take or leave them as canon, similar to the Star Wars sequels. Like, officially yes they’re canon, but the two trilogies are very separate from each other in a way that invites alternate timelines and so forth.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2018 6:38 pm

BoulderFaceplant wrote:
One great thing about the JW films is you can take or leave them as canon, similar to the Star Wars sequels. Like, officially yes they’re canon, but the two trilogies are very separate from each other in a way that invites alternate timelines and so forth.

Are we really going there with this? I know that how individual fans and viewers take in and contextualize this sequel trilogy (or indeed the first two sequels) is entirely up to them, like with Star Wars and Star Trek... but I really don't want to invite the notion of viewing them as an alternate timeline like the Abrams Trek films. I already had to re-contextualize the Star Wars sequel trilogy as basically fanfiction follow-ups to the George Lucas six part saga because I ultimately felt they didn't do justice to the name and character of Star Wars. Having to do that to Jurassic Park, even while traits of Fallen Kingdom instill divisiveness, is just another unwanted burden.

Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 2:42 am

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Here's the problem, though. For many old school fans, JW was only marginally better then JP3 and not much of an improvement. Even many fans who like the movie admit that it should have been better/slightly smarter. In other words, if JW had managed to united the fanbase, or at least unite enough of them to form a convincing consensus and managed to bring enough good will, then that would be one thing.

But with the movie dividing the fanbase and how recent events have turned the divide into a canyon...ehh...That's a hard sell for many people. If the MCU tried that for a while, then they can get away with it since they have built up enough goodwill from the fans, GA, and critics. This franchise hasn't done nearly enough of that.

Playing it completely safe and making films only to appease the old school fans who are content with the status quo in order to instill "goodwill" is a surefire way to kill the franchise, or at the very least prevent it from growing.

Focusing only on the general audience and casual public also has a downside. Keep in mind that the majority in the general audience and casual public will probably only see the film once and then forget about it or not care for anything else Jurassic afterwards.

It is the hardcore fans who kept the franchise alive during the 14 year wait between JP3 and JW. It is the hardcore fans who will buy the merchandise and keep buying JP related stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 11:03 am

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:

Focusing only on the general audience and casual public also has a downside. Keep in mind that the majority in the general audience and casual public will probably only see the film once and then forget about it or not care for anything else Jurassic afterwards.

It is the hardcore fans who kept the franchise alive during the 14 year wait between JP3 and JW. It is the hardcore fans who will buy the merchandise and keep buying JP related stuff.

But they are trying to appeal to hardcores as well. What do you think the Rex smashing the Spino skeleton was? The old Visitors Center? All of the online content? Bringing Malcolm back? That's all pure fan service for the hardcores. To suggest that the hardcore audience is being completely left in the cold is disingenuous.

Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 11:58 am

Yeah but those things that you mentioned are included more because Universal really believes the myth that the general public is only really nostalgic about the original Jurassic Park than anything else.

Malcolm returning is more of a selling tool with that myth in mind. They know he is a character that is very popular even with the most casual moviegoer. So it is more that rather than Universal going out of their way to do fan service for hardcore fans

Notice that for the second sequel in a row, no characters from The Lost World or Jurassic Park 3 have returned.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 1:01 pm

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
Yeah but those things that you mentioned are included more because Universal really believes the myth that the general public is only really nostalgic about the original Jurassic Park than anything else.

Malcolm returning is more of a selling tool with that myth in mind. They know he is a character that is very popular even with the most casual moviegoer. So it is more that rather than Universal going out of their way to do fan service for hardcore fans

Notice that for the second sequel in a row, no characters from The Lost World or Jurassic Park 3 have returned.

What characters from TLW or JP3 could make sense returning?

I’m pretty sure you don’t want the Kirby family right?
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
BoulderFaceplant wrote:

Are we really going there with this? I know that how individual fans and viewers take in and contextualize this sequel trilogy (or indeed the first two sequels) is entirely up to them, like with Star Wars and Star Trek... but I really don't want to invite the notion of viewing them as an alternate timeline like the Abrams Trek films. I already had to re-contextualize the Star Wars sequel trilogy as basically fanfiction follow-ups to the George Lucas six part saga because I ultimately felt they didn't do justice to the name and character of Star Wars. Having to do that to Jurassic Park, even while traits of Fallen Kingdom instill divisiveness, is just another unwanted burden.

This is sadly remarkable. We have a large part of the fanbase that's willing to see this new trilogy as an alternate timeline and we have the people who are making said trilogy basically-so far anyway-ignoring the Sorna movies. I never thought I would ever see this.

Troyal. I would like to see Eric Kirby since he was the only one in the family that had any form of common sense in the entirity of JP3. Oh, and we'll have him say that his mother, Amanda, got killing in a explosion via a crash with a gas tanker truck.

lol!

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
BoulderFaceplant wrote:

This is sadly remarkable. We have a large part of the fanbase that's willing to see this new trilogy as an alternate timeline and we have the people who are making said trilogy basically-so far anyway-ignoring the Sorna movies. I never thought I would ever see this.

Like I said, I do not sanction this burden, or that section of the fanbase.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 6:22 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
BoulderFaceplant wrote:

Like I said, I do not sanction this burden, or that section of the fanbase.

I just hope this mindset doesn't spread. I've seen at least one person in the JP Facebook group I'm in say this before seeing it here.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 6:28 pm

Troyal1 wrote:

Exactly. This franchise has made it very clear from film to film that most of these characters would rather not get involved with Ingen and this whole thing again. I'm all for old characters from other films returning, but only if it makes sense, and I really can't think of a scenario in which a character from TLW or JP3 would get involved again. And personally, I'd rather JW:FK not have some sort of jarring Vince Vaughn cameo appearance myself Laughing

At the end of the day, I'm just glad we're getting another kickass looking Jurassic Park film. Really having a hard time understanding why that isn't enough for some people. Entitlement I guess. Makes me wonder where this attitude came from though. Maybe some people feel as though they're owed exactly the film they want for staying aboard the fandom during the dead period *shrugs*

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 6:36 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:

Exactly. This franchise has made it very clear from film to film that most of these characters would rather not get involved with Ingen and this whole thing again. I'm all for old characters from other films returning, but only if it makes sense, and I really can't think of a scenario in which a character from TLW or JP3 would get involved again. And personally, I'd rather JW:FK not have some sort of jarring Vince Vaughn cameo appearance myself Laughing

At the end of the day, I'm just glad we're getting another kickass looking Jurassic Park film. Really having a hard time understanding why that isn't enough for some people. Entitlement I guess. Makes me wonder where this attitude came from though. Maybe some people feel as though they're owed exactly the film they want for staying aboard the fandom during the dead period *shrugs*

Do you at least get way fans like me are concerned about the franchise via the direction (Sorna not being treated well) and the lack of transparency? Because as much as the fans wanted this franchise to come back, this wasn't what many fans thought would happen.

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 6:58 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

Do you at least get way fans like me are concerned about the franchise via the direction (Sorna not being treated well) and the lack of transparency? Because as much as the fans wanted this franchise to come back, this wasn't what many fans thought would happen.

Sure, and you have every right to be critical if you so see fit, but it gets to a point where it starts to border on looking entitled, and considering that a lot of the so-called "hardcore" fans all want different things from this franchise (look at  your wants from the franchise and put them up against, say, Spino's wants for the franchise), it hits me as counterproductive , and perpetuates the septic environment within the fandom that seems to be cropping up lately.

Being critical is one thing, and I think it's important that people are critical. That's obviously how things improve. It's another thing to feel owed. This franchise, in various ways, has given me thousands of hours of entertainment over the course of my life. It gave me something to be passionate about, and still does. I'll be critical 'till the cows come home, but considering all that this franchise (and yes, Universal) has given me, I'll damn sure never feel as though I'm owed anything.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Sure, and you have every right to be critical if you so see fit, but it gets to a point where it starts to border on looking entitled, and considering that a lot of the so-called "hardcore" fans all want different things from this franchise (look at  your wants from the franchise and put them up against, say, Spino's wants for the franchise), it hits me as counterproductive , and perpetuates the septic environment within the fandom that seems to be cropping up lately.

Being critical is one thing, and I think it's important that people are critical. That's obviously how things improve. It's another thing to feel owed. This franchise, in various ways, has given me thousands of hours of entertainment over the course of my life. It gave me something to be passionate about, and still does. I'll be critical 'till the cows come home, but considering all that this franchise (and yes, Universal) has given me, I'll damn sure never feel as though I'm owed anything.

That's fair. It's just that, and maybe I'm putting this the wrong way, I see what is happening and wonder how it will effect the franchise in the long term. I want this franchise succeed since I'm a JP fan more then I am an MCU fan. And when I see how successful the MCU is, I always ask "Why can't this franchise try to be as successful, or at least successful enough to hold it's own?"

Not only that, but I remember how back in JPL, that many fans did feel owned after the trainwreck known as JP3, and, I couldn't truly blame them since I was like that to a degree. (But even then I was skeptical of the movie considering the musical chairs of directors, writers, and scripts that happened before the movie finally came out.) I can't help but wonder if that mentality is still alive, but many fans don't know it.

I guess I feel frustrated and angry rather then entitled and owned.

Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 pm

Yeah I dont't think it is fair to suggest that if anyone is not thrilled about this next film it is only because they feel entitiled or feeling owed.

Many just don't like that the series has been turned from Jurassic Park to Jurassic Mutants. I get why it was done in Jurassic World, to put the emphasis on the dangers of humans playing with nature but when the second film in a row has a plot that also centers around the creation of yet another more badass mutant then that takes away all the focus away from the dinosaurs and it is just a little too similar for me.

Im sorry, I don't think it is fair to say that others have to be grateful that they are at least getting something from Universal if they don't like it. I disagree with this idea that the correct way to be a fan is to accept whatever Universal gives us because they gave us Jurassic Park.
Back to top Go down
Bbrink1996
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bbrink1996

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 6:40 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
And when I see how successful the MCU is, I always ask "Why can't this franchise try to be as successful, or at least successful enough to hold it's own?"

That's easy. The MCU has over 50 years worth of stories to draw inspiration from. JP has 2 novels which inspired the movies. Marvel Comics was always more popular and succesful than JP so it is not surprising really. And with a premise of "cloned dinosaurs in a theme park" there is only so much you can do before it becomes stale.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 8:49 am

Bbrink1996 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
And when I see how successful the MCU is, I always ask "Why can't this franchise try to be as successful, or at least successful enough to hold it's own?"

That's easy. The MCU has over 50 years worth of stories to draw inspiration from. JP has 2 novels which inspired the movies. Marvel Comics was always more popular and succesful than JP so it is not surprising really. And with a premise of "cloned dinosaurs in a theme park" there is only so much you can do before it becomes stale.

But that doesn't mean that you can't do more with the franchise using other dinosaur movies as inspiration. After all, the first two JP movies were inspired by the original 1925 version of The Lost World and The Valley Of Gwangi. Surely, they can find other dinosaur movies to look at. Even cancelled/unmade movies.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 4:19 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Here's the problem, though. For many old school fans, JW was only marginally better then JP3 and not much of an improvement. Even many fans who like the movie admit that it should have been better/slightly smarter. In other words, if JW had managed to united the fanbase, or at least unite enough of them to form a convincing consensus and managed to bring enough good will, then that would be one thing.

But with the movie dividing the fanbase and how recent events have turned the divide into a canyon...ehh...That's a hard sell for many people. If the MCU tried that for a while, then they can get away with it since they have built up enough goodwill from the fans, GA, and critics. This franchise hasn't done nearly enough of that.

Playing it completely safe and making films only to appease the old school fans who are content with the status quo in order to instill "goodwill" is a surefire way to kill the franchise, or at the very least prevent it from growing.

I agree, you have to change things up. Fans may have kept the franchise alive, but it was the general public that made JW as big as it was, and Universal knows this. Concessions have to be made on both sides, and sadly those usually get made in favor of what gets the most money. Some people see JW as a remake with a few tweaks, and while I don't really agree, it's easy to see the formula works, because The Force Awakens did the exact same thing and made even more money.

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
BoulderFaceplant wrote:

Sadly, I'm already doing this. I don't pretend the sequels didn't happen in JW, but with myself wanting to preserve Sorna as it was at the end of JP3, I just pretend there's a timeline where JW and further events happen, and then there's one where JP3 ends it all, and the dinosaurs just go on thriving for however long. I'm a huge Halloween fan, and those films have like 3 different timelines, about to be four when the new one comes out, so I'm used to it.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 6:40 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I agree, you have to change things up. Fans may have kept the franchise alive, but it was the general public that made JW as big as it was, and Universal knows this. Concessions have to be made on both sides, and sadly those usually get made in favor of what gets the most money. Some people see JW as a remake with a few tweaks, and while I don't really agree, it's easy to see the formula works, because The Force Awakens did the exact same thing and made even more money.  

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
BoulderFaceplant wrote:

Sadly, I'm already doing this. I don't pretend the sequels didn't happen in JW, but with myself wanting to preserve Sorna as it was at the end of JP3, I just pretend there's a timeline where JW and further events happen, and then there's one where JP3 ends it all, and the dinosaurs just go on thriving for however long. I'm a huge Halloween fan, and those films have like 3 different timelines, about to be four when the new one comes out, so I'm used to it.  

TBH, I'm already starting to do this myself. And before JW, I did it before by pretending that JP3 never happened and that only the first two movies are canon. Between how poorly that one site is treating the Sorna movies and how this new trilogy seems to ignore them, it's very easy for fans to see this new trilogy as an alternate timeline. Again, I don't want to do this, but events have kind of made me do it.

Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 am

Considering the Jurassic Franchise a multiverse with alternate timelines and canons is actually not a bad idea at all. Jurassic, like Star Wars already has plenty of different timelines and canons with the different books, comics, videogames and movies.

One could argue that there is the Steven Spielberg and Michael Chrichton Jurassic Park. Wich is the first 2 movies while JP3, JW and JWFK are Universal's Jurassic Park since they have little or no hands on work from Spielberg or Chrichton.

Just like (With the backlash of The Last Jedi) many SW fans are considering the first 6 movies and the old Expanded Universe as their canon because all that was created with the series creator George Lucas, while others accept Disney's canon (Rebels, Spin Offs and Episodes 7 and 8 ) as their canon.

Although... It is actually kinda hard to pretend that Jurassic Park 3 is not part of my canon since despite it establishing a few things that were very unpopular, it actually was still a prominent part of my childhood. It was still a real nice surprise to see Dr. Grant back in the lead role and in retrospect, one can appreciate the fact that is was the last JP movie that did not try to downplay Isla Sorna but rather embrace it's wonder.

I however love the idea of having the IDW Dangerous Games comics as my canon since I loved those.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2018 7:20 pm

Okay, so this question of mine doesn't really pertain to the fate of the franchise moving forward but it is about Fallen Kingdom itself:

Are the cast (specifically Chris, Bryce, Jeff and Rafe) phoning in their performances?

And just to clarify: this isn't me who's asking it, but one of my friends on Twitter who so far has hated all of the trailers (calling it Sharknado levels of ridiculous, of all things, eugh!) and said that the actors looked bored. And back when the first teaser was released, a film panel group on YouTube also said that Chris looked bored throughout his scenes in the teaser trailer. I'm reaching for any kind of logical excuse why anyone would think that, and was curious if you guys had any opinions or insights into this?

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2018 10:56 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Okay, so this question of mine doesn't really pertain to the fate of the franchise moving forward but it is about Fallen Kingdom itself:

Are the cast (specifically Chris, Bryce, Jeff and Rafe) phoning in their performances?

And just to clarify: this isn't me who's asking it, but one of my friends on Twitter who so far has hated all of the trailers (calling it Sharknado levels of ridiculous, of all things, eugh!) and said that the actors looked bored. And back when the first teaser was released, a film panel group on YouTube also said that Chris looked bored throughout his scenes in the teaser trailer. I'm reaching for any kind of logical excuse why anyone would think that, and was curious if you guys had any opinions or insights into this?

Maybe I’m just a fanboy but everything I’ve seen so far indicates the opposite.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2018 11:10 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:

Don't mean to jump on your friend or anything, but if he's calling it "Sharknado levels of ridiculous", then I wouldn't take his opinion on anything JP/JW related to seriously.

As far as the dialogue itself, it seems fine to me. Most assuredly better than the dialogue that we heard in the trailers for the first JW ("What kinda dinosaur they cooked up in that lab", etc...). Nothing mindblowing or anything, but on par with any other big budget blockbuster. I especially like Bryce's readings on "Do you remember the first time you saw a dinosaur?" and "It was all a lie!". Pratt seems a lot more natural this time around, whereas I felt a few of his readings in JW were a bit awkward.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2018 2:35 am

Tyrant Lizard wrote:

As far as the dialogue itself, it seems fine to me. Most assuredly better than the dialogue that we heard in the trailers for the first JW ("What kinda dinosaur they cooked up in that lab", etc...). Nothing mindblowing or anything, but on par with any other big budget blockbuster. I especially like Bryce's readings on "Do you remember the first time you saw a dinosaur?" and "It was all a lie!". Pratt seems a lot more natural this time around, whereas I felt a few of his readings in JW were a bit awkward.

Those are some good examples! And I agree that as far as cheesy lines go, there haven't been any to compete with the ones in the JW trailers. Chris's reading of "They're dinosaurs; wow enough!" definitely needed to be ADR'd.

Ultimately, I think the "bored" comments just left me bemused more than anything else.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2018 6:33 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:

Chris is too much of a JP fan to do that and Bryce, between being a mother and being the daughter of Ron Howard, can't get away with that. She has too much at stake.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2018 1:45 pm

I have not seen anything that would indicate the actors are phoning in their performances. I don't think that's possible for such well known actors in their primes. Their careers literaly depend on how well they are acting.
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

It's just that their plan is so murky compared to other franchises-the MCU, Star Wars, and even the DCEU, that many of us just have no clue where they are going. I really don't want to be a total fanboy, but at the same time, is it too much to ask for some clues where this franchise is going? Because I don't see that many.

That's kind of what I like about it though. That the future is unpredictable and can go in any number of directions. To me, that's pretty damn exciting, and what makes it better is that it opens the door more all sorts of speculation. I honestly prefer that to a Marvel type situation where you know exactly what's going to happen and how long it's going to take to get there.

Exactly. I don't care what anyone says, I think Sorna has been handled just fine. I really don't understand why people are screaming about it. It would be pretty dull if Jurassic was as predictable and as tame as MCU (one of the dullest franchises of all time, imo).
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Sharknado level??? Tell your friend he's not your friend anymore lol.

Also, so far there haven't been any lines of dialogue as bad as:

"That's her tracking implant, she clawed it out"
"How would it know to do that"
"She Remembered where they put it in"
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Because Sorna is the second most important location in the entire franchise, the main setting of 2 sequels, it's destiny is a huge plot point and yet these 2 new sequels (JW and JW:FK) are treating it like it never existed, was never relevant and from what I have seen they are even afraid to even mention it by name simply because Universal does seem to really believe the myth that nobody cares about TLW and JP3 when that is very very far from reality.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

It's just that their plan is so murky compared to other franchises-the MCU, Star Wars, and even the DCEU, that many of us just have no clue where they are going. I really don't want to be a total fanboy, but at the same time, is it too much to ask for some clues where this franchise is going? Because I don't see that many.

That's kind of what I like about it though. That the future is unpredictable and can go in any number of directions. To me, that's pretty damn exciting, and what makes it better is that it opens the door more all sorts of speculation. I honestly prefer that to a Marvel type situation where you know exactly what's going to happen and how long it's going to take to get there.

Exactly. I don't care what anyone says, I think Sorna has been handled just fine. I really don't understand why people are screaming about it. It would be pretty dull if Jurassic was as predictable and as tame as MCU (one of the dullest franchises of all time, imo).

You do realize that you're in the minority-which is fairly small-on both issues, right?

Dead2009 wrote:
If you honestly think movie studios arent making movies for the casual audience, you havent been paying attention to how any of this works. Hardcore fanbases are and always will be the vocal minority.

Funny, that didn't stop Deadpool fans from fighting for a proper Deadpool movie to get rid of the one from Wolverine: Origins. Nor did it stop Godzilla fans form forcing Sony to kill off a sequel. Also, Biollante, one of Godzilla's most memorable foes, was a fan creation via a contest Toho had. The last time I checked, Godzilla was quite more niche then Jurassic Park.

Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 6:27 pm

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
Because Sorna is the second most important location in the entire franchise, the main setting of 2 sequels, it's destiny is a huge plot point and yet these 2 new sequels (JW and JW:FK) are treating it like it never existed, was never relevant and from what I have seen they are even afraid to even mention it by name simply because Universal does seem to really believe the myth that nobody cares about TLW and JP3 when that is very very far from reality.

But that's just simply false.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is anybody worried about the franchise future?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next