Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!

Go down 
+13
Physalisfresser
Bbrink1996
scoobysaurus
TyrantKing4Ever
Mr. Robustus
Fredriksam
TyrannosaurTJ
Amadieus
Six-Foot Turkey
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Spinosaur4.4
Tyrant Lizard
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Mr. Robustus wrote:
In the first Jurassic World, I was constantly annoyed by how much the Velociraptor/Owen and Indominus rex leitmotifs were practically identical. It makes sense considering the little twist, but it's used for such different contexts for the two, that it ends up sounding really weird (and, again, he uses that theme in Fallen Kingdom for when they are taking off. Why???). In Fallen Kingdom, for some reason, he uses the Indoraptor's theme in "Neo-Jurassic Age" over  
spoiler:

Wait, the Owen/Raptors and Indominus theme identical? They are completely different themes... Also, the Owen/Raptors theme is used when the plane takes off because it starts playing as soon as we see Owen (who's there to find Blue), so it kinda makes sense.

Also, the "Indoraptor theme" is actually the Fallen Kingdom main theme. It's used firstly as a recurring theme for dinosaurs scene (like when the Brachiosaurus appears) and then also for the Indoraptor, in a scarier and more dramatic way. So the fact it's used in the final scene it makes sense, since it's not the Indoraptor theme, but the new main dinosaurs theme.

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
TyrantKing4Ever
Embryo
Embryo
TyrantKing4Ever

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Good news: Got the soundtrack in the mail today!Very Happy
Bad news: Currently have nothing to play it on...Crying or Very sad

Sony really made a questionable choice by not adding the ability to listen to your CDs on the PS4. We’ve been able to since, what, the PS1 days? I don’t care about Spotify.
Back to top Go down
scoobysaurus
Embryo
Embryo
scoobysaurus

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
I think you might be overthinking it a tad. I imagine he's pretty flexible/loose in terms of the placement of certain themes, preferring to form his soundtracks based on what he feels sounds best and what has the most impact, rather than what makes the most sense.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I will admit though that I am annoyed by the lack of Journey to the Island in these films (although that's partially made up for by the fact that it does have a significant return in it's unaltered form in the Fallen Kingdom Suite).

FK follows TLW and JP3
Spoiler:
It was a pleasant surprise at the end of the movie and it also brings it in line with the rest of the sequels other than JW.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 8:46 pm

owenpratt wrote:
Mr. Robustus wrote:
In the first Jurassic World, I was constantly annoyed by how much the Velociraptor/Owen and Indominus rex leitmotifs were practically identical. It makes sense considering the little twist, but it's used for such different contexts for the two, that it ends up sounding really weird (and, again, he uses that theme in Fallen Kingdom for when they are taking off. Why???). In Fallen Kingdom, for some reason, he uses the Indoraptor's theme in "Neo-Jurassic Age" over  
spoiler:

Wait, the Owen/Raptors and Indominus theme identical? They are completely different themes... Also, the Owen/Raptors theme is used when the plane takes off because it starts playing as soon as we see Owen (who's there to find Blue), so it kinda makes sense.

Also, the "Indoraptor theme" is actually the Fallen Kingdom main theme. It's used firstly as a recurring theme for dinosaurs scene (like when the Brachiosaurus appears) and then also for the Indoraptor, in a scarier and more dramatic way. So the fact it's used in the final scene it makes sense, since it's not the Indoraptor theme, but the new main dinosaurs theme.

Listen to "Clearly his First Rodeo" at around 0:52 and 1:52, or to the music when we first see Owen training the raptors (I don't think it was ever released on the soundtrack), and then listen to Bury the Hatchling at 1:00, or Indominus Wrecks at 0:56, 3:06 or 3:20. The leitmotifs are very, very similar, just with a different arrangement. Also, listen closely to Chasing the Dragons. It almost sounds like a sped up and heroic version of the Indominus rex's theme.

About FK's theme, yeah, I rewatched the movie today and noticed that there really are other times where that leitmotif was used, like you said. Still, that's was kind of my point: Giacchino likes to use the same theme/leitmotif in very different contexts just because it goes with the scene, and that annoys the heck out of me. The Indoraptor is a very different entity from the rest of the dinosaurs, they really shouldn't share the same theme.

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 5:17 am

Mr. Robustus wrote:
owenpratt wrote:
Mr. Robustus wrote:
spoiler:

Listen to "Clearly his First Rodeo" at around 0:52 and 1:52, or to the music when we first see Owen training the raptors (I don't think it was ever released on the soundtrack), and then listen to Bury the Hatchling at 1:00, or Indominus Wrecks at 0:56, 3:06 or 3:20. The leitmotifs are very, very similar, just with a different arrangement. Also, listen closely to Chasing the Dragons. It almost sounds like a sped up and heroic version of the Indominus rex's theme.

About FK's theme, yeah, I rewatched the movie today and noticed that there really are other times where that leitmotif was used, like you said. Still, that's was kind of my point: Giacchino likes to use the same theme/leitmotif in very different contexts just because it goes with the scene, and that annoys the heck out of me. The Indoraptor is a very different entity from the rest of the dinosaurs, they really shouldn't share the same theme.

Oh, you mean the other Indominus theme (because she has two themes in JW, which I found interesting). Yes, they are similar but really they feel different from each other, at least to me. But I can see your point.

I actually called the FK main theme the "Inevitability" theme... It gives me an idea of an unstoppable force, like the inevitable change Malcolm talks about, and both dinosaurs and Indoraptor are part of the equation.

Back to top Go down
Fredriksam
Embryo
Embryo
Fredriksam

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 5:41 am

Like i said earlier, the Indoraptor theme was really awesome and i like these two tunes i linked to Before.

However theres a track in the Movie that made me cry at the Cinema and this is the one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNVJ9nh4xDU

Just listening to it bring a tear in my Eye.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 5:45 am

Fredriksam wrote:
Like i said earlier, the Indoraptor theme was really awesome and i like these two tunes i linked to Before.

However theres a track in the Movie that made me cry at the Cinema and this is the one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNVJ9nh4xDU

Just listening to it bring a tear in my Eye.

One of the most emotional tracks of all the 5 scores... Did you notice the classic JP theme from 00:28?

Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 5:16 pm

I don't remember Indominus having two themes.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 7:22 am

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

First theme: 00:06 - 00:11

Second theme: 01:00 - 01:45

Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 11:44 am

owenpratt wrote:
Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

I thought that was just the park's theme. It plays at the beginning of As the Jurassic World Turns too
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
owenpratt wrote:
Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

I thought that was just the park's theme. It plays at the beginning of As the Jurassic World Turns too

That beginning portion of "As the Jurassic World Turns" comes from the scene where Claire and Wu are presenting the Indominus rex to the investors, hence why the theme plays.

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Vinyl of the score:

https://twitter.com/Sickle_Claw/status/1008760930295955456

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Jesus Christ that is the best soundtrack IMO.

It sends chills down my spine EACH time I watch the scene and listen to it. It's just so epic and beautiful. When they arrive at Main Street in 1:10 and that beautiful choir picks up...OMG.

I remember a lot of Masrani and Claire in the chopper flying around Nublar. Sad

Like a true Fallen Kingdom and dreams...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkDA6NQEbJQ

"Some memories are good."

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 6:09 am

Yeah, absolutely wonderful track. The way the Jurassic World theme is reprised on a minor key is so emotional.

Although I personally prefer the following track, "Nostalgia-Saurus". It really reminds me of "The Stegosaurus" track from The Lost World, bringing a feeling of awe, wonder and at the same time solemnity and fear towards these giant creatures. Wonderful. I think this is one of the best uses of the new Fallen Kingdom theme.

Back to top Go down
Bbrink1996
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bbrink1996

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 10:13 am

Giacchino's score for FK is miles better than his score for JW I think. The JW soundtrack was very forgettable besides the classic JP theme parts. FK's soundtrack does much better in setting itself apart. The Indoraptor's theme especially is really well done.
Back to top Go down
Physalisfresser
Hatchling
Hatchling
Physalisfresser

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 6:58 am

I really didn't like the soundtrack, it gave me no feels anywhere in the movie, the original score was never really used only teased. The rest of the music didn't really do any justice to the images that were shown. I don't think the Jurassic World score was great but I liked it better than the one from FK. The music of fallen kingdom was one of the reasons I didn't like the movie to much.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 7:43 am

Physalisfresser wrote:
I really didn't like the soundtrack, it gave me no feels anywhere in the movie, the original score was never really used only teased. The rest of the music didn't really do any justice to the images that were shown. I don't think the Jurassic World score was great but I liked it better than the one from FK. The music of fallen kingdom was one of the reasons I didn't like the movie to much.

Give it another chance if you can though! Both to the film and the score.

Back to top Go down
Physalisfresser
Hatchling
Hatchling
Physalisfresser

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 8:02 am

owenpratt wrote:
Physalisfresser wrote:

I liked the movie actually, I just didn't like the music, but I might give the score a second go.
Back to top Go down
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Dv-218

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 8:28 am

My absoulute favorite ost in the franchise, alongside JP and TLW. The new main theme is fantastic and instantly memorable, and the choir is a nice touch.
The indoraptor's theme fits perfectly, really horror-like and gothic. I also loved how giacchino integrated some of the themes from the previous movies in this one (especially during *that* scene, the classic JP theme is used in a way that makes the scene even sadder).
If there is one moment that did feel kind of iffy to me, was when they reprised the "open paddock 9" theme during elli's death scene..it just didn't fit lmao.
Back to top Go down
Physalisfresser
Hatchling
Hatchling
Physalisfresser

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 10:33 am

owenpratt wrote:
Physalisfresser wrote:

I gave both the movie and the soundtrack a second go, and now I like them both, the more epic feel of the Fallen Kingdom score feels fresh and sets the movie in a different tone than the others, which is good! I somehow still liked the JW score, but I think I like this one better now. I just wish they would have used the JP Theme a bit more obvious, but it would have probably been criticised by other people if they did.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Physalisfresser wrote:
owenpratt wrote:
Physalisfresser wrote:

I gave both the movie and the soundtrack a second go, and now I like them both, the more epic feel of the Fallen Kingdom  score feels fresh and sets the movie in a different tone than the others, which is good! I somehow still liked the JW score, but I think I like this one better now. I just wish they would have used the JP Theme a bit more obvious, but it would have probably been criticised by other people if they did.

Don't know if you noticed, but in "Volcano to Death" you can hear the cello playing the JP theme, at the same time the Maisie's theme (or, anyway, one of those new themes) plays.

Glad you liked it this time around, it sure is a wonderful score Very Happy
Can't even choose a favorite one... but I know that the new main theme is fantastic, especially when used for the Indoraptor. A big use of choir.

Back to top Go down
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Dv-218

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 1:46 pm

After rewatching, I have to say that my favorite rendition of the main theme (which is epic and awesome by itself) is "the neo-jurassic age". I just love how it starts in a calm way during Malcolm's speech,and then slowly escalates as it starts showing the dinosaurs interacting with the modern world-it felt like a perfect theme for a new beginning/"oh s*it what whe have done" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Dv-218 wrote:
After rewatching, I have to say that my favorite rendition of the main theme (which is epic and awesome by itself) is "the neo-jurassic age". I just love how it starts in a calm way during Malcolm's speech,and then slowly escalates as it starts showing the dinosaurs interacting with the modern world-it felt like a perfect theme for a new beginning/"oh s*it what whe have done" Very Happy

Yes! Such a feeling of inevitability to it, both mysterious, dark and majestic. Masterful crescendo by Giacchino.

Back to top Go down
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Dv-218

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 5:38 pm

^I agree 100% Smile mysterious and dark was definitely the vibe I got there lol.

I will say, the only bits I did not really like were when somw he reused the JW score (except the ruins and maisie freeing the dinosaurs). The raptor theme during the plane scene was ok, but that open paddock 9 reprise during Mills death scene (which was brutal as heck) felt way too funny lol Very Happy

But besides that, the rest of the score is absoulutely fantastic and a huge step up from JW (it's like night and day imo).
Back to top Go down
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 1:06 pm

I like the Fallen Kingdom score more than the Jurassic World score, and I listened to the JW score about a hundred times in my life.

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 2:56 pm

Just realized one thing about the Fallen Kingdom score...

The theme that we associated (maybe incorrectly) to Maisie always plays when dinos are about to die:

- When TV announces the dinosaurs will be left to die
- Dock scene aka Brachiosaurus death scene
- Blue's surgery
- Gas chamber scene

It's like a "Death theme" while the JW theme might be a "Life theme" (it plays when Claire rides to Lockwood, who could save the dinosaurs, and when Maisie saves them by pushing the button).

Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 6:51 am

I re-watched the movie and payed attention to the scenes with music NOT present in the Fallen Kingdom album score version.
Here they are:

Spoiler:

Hopefully they will release these tracks soon.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 7:49 am

After 3 views, I’d say the new stuff was really good, including the remixes old themes. What I wasn’t a fan of was where previous JW music was used, like Mills death flat out reusing the queues for Claire opening Paddock 9 in the previous film. It didn’t quite fit there.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 12:56 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
After 3 views, I’d say the new stuff was really good, including the remixes old themes. What I wasn’t a fan of was where previous JW music was used, like Mills death flat out reusing the queues for Claire opening Paddock 9 in the previous film. It didn’t quite fit there.

Yeah, that was a weird musical cue. I really think that particular piece should have been exclusive to the Paddock 9 scene from JW. Reusing it just sort of waters it down a bit imho.

Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 10:23 am

TheDreamMaster wrote:
It's the same cue, but there's an added Organ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!   Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Michael Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next