Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

General Movie Discussion

Go down 
+34
Scott B
Sickle_Claw
Dead2009
Rhedosaurus
jericho
Oshronosaurus
Bbrink1996
Levine
TheRexMan22
Spinosaur4.4
Dr. Wu
Tyrant Lizard
HennexForest
DeiXnonychus
Océane
Megaspino2
Aegyptiacus3
V.a.nublarensis
Island Queen
TRK/TrexKing
tigris115
MissDNA
smaugtheterrible
dance2nite
owenpratt
TorQue
TheDreamMaster
JPMalcolmDilo
CT-1138
Mysterious Hero M
GwrChurchward
evolution_rex
Darth Spidey
BobGrill
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
The Nut Job 2 only made $8.9 million on it's opening debut and only had slightly over 4,000 theaters showing it.

Wow. That is just bad.

I think it's great. Awful movies deserve failure.
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 15, 2017 5:24 am

Jackie Chan didn't deserve to get tacked on to that

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 am

Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
The Nut Job 2 only made $8.9 million on it's opening debut and only had slightly over 4,000 theaters showing it.

Wow. That is just bad.

I wonder if its an omen that barring Disney, DreamWorks and Illuination, other CGI animated film studios are starting to undergo a phase of decay. And that you can't make money off the same formula that Shrek and DreamWorks created that subsequent studios have abused to death. Meanwhile, I wonder what this means for the remaining animated films to come out this year. Pixar will be fine of course, but there are a few more on my mind: The Lego Ninjago Movie (which has to do just as well as The Lego Batman Movie, somehow), Sony's The Star which just looks lousy as all hell, and... The MLP movie, which no matter where you fall on the show and its fandom its going to be an interesting film to watch at the box office.

General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 6:17 pm

China has been restricted from investing in Hollywood, as well as sports and hotels.

This means that Hollywood isn't as much of a de facto propaganda tool of the Chinese and that China won;t be able to hide its atrocities as easily.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 19, 2017 2:34 pm

The was a clash between Sony and the director of The Dark Tower about the first cut of the movie.

Jordan Vogt Roberts goes Josh Trank on CinemaSins.

This really bothers me since he's going to direct the upcoming Metal Gear Solid movie. As a huge Metal Gear Solid fan, I don't see a hard adaptation of that game working since it has far too much moving parts. And we know how much Sony sucks.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 10:22 am

Frankly, CinemaSins has had a tirade like this coming in a long time. Vogt-Roberts might have been very careless in his Twitter ranting, but he has a right to stand up and defend the film he made, no matter how good or bad other people think it is. In a world that's pretty cynical by itself, we don't need CinemaSins.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 12:03 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Frankly, CinemaSins has had a tirade like this coming in a long time. Vogt-Roberts might have been very careless in his Twitter ranting, but he has a right to stand up and defend the film he made, no matter how good or bad other people think it is. In a world that's pretty cynical by itself, we don't need CinemaSins.

That may be true, but even so. You don't pull this when you're just starting your career. Look at Josh Trank.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 1:06 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Wow. That is just bad.

I wonder if its an omen that barring Disney, DreamWorks and Illuination, other CGI animated film studios are starting to undergo a phase of decay. And that you can't make money off the same formula that Shrek and DreamWorks created that subsequent studios have abused to death. Meanwhile, I wonder what this means for the remaining animated films to come out this year. Pixar will be fine of course, but there are a few more on my mind: The Lego Ninjago Movie (which has to do just as well as The Lego Batman Movie, somehow), Sony's The Star which just looks lousy as all hell, and... The MLP movie, which no matter where you fall on the show and its fandom its going to be an interesting film to watch at the box office.

Haha I hadn't even thought about the MLP film. I'm actually super interested to see what the box office for that is, considering it also appeals to many adults.

If the movie is well received among the fans it could be a big hit. It's actually quite genius to adapt it into a film. Half my friends are "Brony".

Also I agree about Cinema sins. Although this isn't the first time the director of Skull Island has had an outburst about something. I think the guy has a short temper and just can't stand to be quiet.

Idk if you guys heard about the airplane incident.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Wow. That is just bad.

Haha I hadn't even thought about the MLP film. I'm actually super interested to see what the box office for that is, considering it also appeals to many adults.

If the movie is well received among the fans it could be a big hit. It's actually quite genius to adapt it into a film. Half my friends are "Brony".

Also I agree about Cinema sins. Although this isn't the first time the director of Skull Island has had an outburst about something. I think the guy has a short temper and just can't stand to not say something.

Airplane incident?

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:

That may be true, but even so. You don't pull this when you're just starting your career. Look at Josh Trank.

Except Josh Trank made a bomb of a film, while Vogt-Roberts made a fun, and entertaining film that made decent rating and a good amount of money, something neither of which Craptastic 4 can claim. So unlike Trank, Vogt-Roberts actually has a leg to stand on in defending his movie.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Wow. That is just bad.

Also I agree about Cinema sins. Although this isn't the first time the director of Skull Island has had an outburst about something. I think the guy has a short temper and just can't stand to not say something.

Airplane incident?

Sat next to a trump supporter on a plane and he was so upset by the guys social media that he went on Twitter and bitched about it in 75 tweets. He even took a photo of the dude. Made fun of him and his appearance to his followers.

Quote :
The feud really kicked off, however, after Vogt-Roberts realised that, in the process of leaving his seat, the man had broken his (Vogt-Roberts's) phone charger cord.

He eventually related his decision to take the other man's cable in compensation, writing: "BUT I GOT YOUR CORD MOTHER F------. BYEEEEEEEEEEE".

Quote :
"And that might conclude this Twitter saga. Be kind. Take responsibility. The world is changing. The patriarchy is dead. The cord is mine," he wrote in a final post.

Controversially, the director also posted videos and photographs of the passenger, although these have also now been deleted, along with the majority of the posts.

The guy broke jordans charger by accident. Most of these tweets are now deleted. But still It was a shameful display. He even had the nerve to talk about echo chambers later on lmao.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/11/28/kong-skull-island-director-live-tweets-string-criticisms-alt/

http://mashable.com/2016/11/28/jordan-vogt-roberts-kong-skull-island-twitter-rant-seatmate-alt-right/#Yw.B.KS92GqO

^you can read some of the tweets yourself of the last link.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Wow. That is just bad.

Airplane incident?

Sat next to a trump supporter on a plane  and he was so upset by the guys social media that he went on Twitter and bitched about it in 75 tweets. He even took a photo of the dude. Made fun of him and his appearance to his followers.

Quote :
The feud really kicked off, however, after Vogt-Roberts realised that, in the process of leaving his seat, the man had broken his (Vogt-Roberts's) phone charger cord.

He eventually related his decision to take the other man's cable in compensation, writing: "BUT I GOT YOUR CORD MOTHER F------. BYEEEEEEEEEEE".

Quote :
"And that might conclude this Twitter saga. Be kind. Take responsibility. The world is changing. The patriarchy is dead. The cord is mine," he wrote in a final post.

Controversially, the director  also posted videos and photographs of the passenger, although these have also now been deleted, along with the majority of the posts.

The guy broke jordans charger by accident. Most of these tweets are now deleted. But still It was a shameful display. He even had the nerve to talk about echo chambers later on lmao.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/11/28/kong-skull-island-director-live-tweets-string-criticisms-alt/

http://mashable.com/2016/11/28/jordan-vogt-roberts-kong-skull-island-twitter-rant-seatmate-alt-right/#Yw.B.KS92GqO

Shocked Shocked Shocked

And THIS is who will direct the Metal Gear Solid movie?! He complains about people needing to treat each other better after treating a Trump supporter who he doesn't even know like sh*t. What a hypocritical dick. And what does he consider 'alt-right'? For all I know, JVR would consider anybody who's not a centerist alt-right, which in real life, isn't anywhere close to being true. How this guy got the role of the director, I'll never know. I was never on board for a Metal Gear Solid movie, even more so how Sony/Avi Arad are involved, and JVR I always saw as too green. Now, I can NOT support this movie at all. I hope that Sony goes under before this movie gets made and the project goes to another studio and a new director is picked.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Joss Whedon's ex-wife blasts him as a hypocritical feminist.

I know that this is from a jilted ex-wife, but with that being said, considering how Joss attacked Trump's daughter (who's actually quite liberal), insulted Nicole Kidman when she said that Trump needed a fair chance, and wrote a VERY sexist Wonder Woman script, I really don't have a choice but to believe what she says.

Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 2:25 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Wow. That is just bad.

Airplane incident?

Sat next to a trump supporter on a plane  and he was so upset by the guys social media that he went on Twitter and bitched about it in 75 tweets. He even took a photo of the dude. Made fun of him and his appearance to his followers.

Quote :

Quote :

Controversially, the director  also posted videos and photographs of the passenger, although these have also now been deleted, along with the majority of the posts.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

And THIS is who will direct the Metal Gear Solid movie?! He complains about people needing to treat each other better after treating a Trump supporter who he doesn't even know like sh*t. What a hypocritical dick. And what does he consider 'alt-right'? For all I know, JVR would consider anybody who's not a centerist alt-right, which in real life, isn't anywhere close to being true. How this guy got the role of the director, I'll never know. I was never on board for a Metal Gear Solid movie, even more so how Sony/Avi Arad are involved, and JVR I always saw as too green. Now, I can NOT support this movie at all. I hope that Sony goes under before this movie gets made and the project goes to another studio and a new director is picked.

This story has a part 2!
General Movie Discussion - Page 24 LM8n0HC

Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 9:42 pm

James Cameron Now in 'Full-Tilt Production' on 'Avatar' Sequels

http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/24/james-cameron-avatar-sequels-production/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

In case you're wondering what the hell that means like I was.

Quote :
“We’re in full-tilt production. We’re in what we call ‘scouting,’ which basically is shooting for me. I’m on the stage all day long during the scouting process, because there are no sets or locations, other than in the virtual world, so I do all my location-scouting with a troop of actors that go through the virtual sets, and give me a sense of the scale and position, lighting, that sort of thing. Then, I’m in rehearsals with my principal cast and I start with them at the end of September.”

Edit: also , Jay And Silent Bob Reboot Starts Filming This Fall.

http://screenrant.com/jay-silent-bob-reboot-filming-start-date/
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Anyone watching Death Note today? Heard it's pretty mixed but I'm excited nonetheless.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 10:17 pm

Troyal1 wrote:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/24/james-cameron-avatar-sequels-production/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Quote :
“We’re in full-tilt production. We’re in what we call ‘scouting,’ which basically is shooting for me. I’m on the stage all day long during the scouting process, because there are no sets or locations, other than in the virtual world, so I do all my location-scouting with a troop of actors that go through the virtual sets, and give me a sense of the scale and position, lighting, that sort of thing. Then, I’m in rehearsals with my principal cast and I start with them at the end of September.”

This is going to underperform. It's been 8 years since the first Avatar hit and nobody knows the reason why it took so long. OK, Tom Rothman, who was heading Fox at the time the first one was released, might have had some influence, but that fact that it made so much money would have made him change his mind of any shortcomings he had.

Besides, he's focused on reviving the Terminator franchise. That and I still think he might consider being involved in reviving the Alien franchise as well.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 10:18 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Anyone watching Death Note today? Heard it's pretty mixed but I'm excited nonetheless.

I haven't but I got a notification about it on my phone today! Do you have access to Netflix?

I'm not into Death note and no nothing about it but I think the visuals look cool.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 10:20 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:

Quote :

This is going to underperform. It's been 8 years since the first Avatar hit and nobody knows the reason why it took so long. OK, Tom Rothman, who was heading Fox at the time the first one was released, might have had some influence, but that fact that it made so much money would have made him change his mind of any shortcomings he had.

Besides, he's focused on reviving the Terminator franchise. That and I still think he might consider being involved in reviving the Alien franchise as well.

I agree, look I like Avatar and so did a lot of over people. But half of it was the incredible 3D and special effects. It might be a major success but after all this time will that many people care about it on a Star Wars level? It's not proven as a franchise.

I'm doubting it myself. Unless it's really revolutionary
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 11:50 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:

I haven't but I got a notification about it on my phone today! Do you have access to Netflix?

I'm not into Death note and no nothing about it but I think the visuals look cool.

Yeah, I've got Netflix. I actually just watched it.

Visually, it's a great film. That said, it's a mixed bag overall. If you have never really read the manga or watched the anime, you might enjoy it. Sadly, I'm tied down more than I thought by the source material, and the changes they made really bugged me. Willam Dafoe as Ryuk the Death God is amazing, but he's really underused. The actor who plays L is also really good, and with the changes made, is about as close to the source material as they could still get. The rest, well, is mixed for me. If you're going in blind, I think you might find a pretty decent film in here. For me, trying to fit 13 manga volumes, or 52 anime episodes into an hour and a half didn't translate super well (hell, the Japanese film was split into two parts and it still only covered half the manga.). The major changes, like Light's personality and the relationship he has with Mia, were really annoying to me.

Personal opinion.... 5/10.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2017 12:20 am

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:

Yeah, I've got Netflix. I actually just watched it.

Visually, it's a great film. That said, it's a mixed bag overall. If you have never really read the manga or watched the anime, you might enjoy it. Sadly, I'm tied down more than I thought by the source material, and the changes they made really bugged me. Willam Dafoe as Ryuk the Death God is amazing, but he's really underused. The actor who plays L is also really good, and with the changes made, is about as close to the source material as they could still get. The rest, well, is mixed for me. If you're going in blind, I think you might find a pretty decent film in here. For me, trying to fit 13 manga volumes, or 52 anime episodes into an hour and a half didn't translate super well (hell, the Japanese film was split into two parts and it still only covered half the manga.). The major changes, like Light's personality and the relationship he has with Mia, were really annoying to me.

Personal opinion.... 5/10.  

Damn. I've actually heard the 5/10 thrown around a lot. I'm worried for Godzilla vs Kong.
Back to top Go down
jericho
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2017 2:44 am

I read part of a Death Note novel, and it was kinda, rad,
saw a couple, live action movies, are there more?
saw all the anime,
and like, the novel makes it pretty clear, that we're all insane, for thinking Light Yagami, was going to shun and destroy everything they were doing to turn you into a drone,
by BECOMING an insane, flesh colored suit wearing sycophant Japanese note writer, like, he wanted to be an alternative, gothic god, by,
becoming an insane Japanese office worker?
huh... I think SOMEONE killed our favorite super hero... nice and early in the show...
then zombie light took over, and what, it got good? shakujo!

but uh, last movie I watched was Tropic Thunder; before that it was Surf Ninjas, I feel pretty good, about my choices lately...

did you hear, what they wanna do, with Ninja Turtles?
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Lily Collins joins 'Tolkien' as Edith Bratt, the wife and muse of J.R.R. Tolkien

The more I hear about this film, at least from a casting standpoint, the more I like it.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 7:45 pm

It looks like this summer was even worse for Hollywood then we thought.

This looks to be the first summer since 2006 that the summer box office made less then $4 billion dollars. It also took a 16% drop from last year.

It wasn't for Guardian Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man: Homecoming, then this summer would REALLY be ugly. So far, it looks like Avengers: Infinity War and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom/JP5 are the two movies that will carry next summer.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 11:43 pm

Best picture push for 'War for the planet of the apes'

http://deadline.com/2017/08/oscars-fox-best-picture-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-1202158378/

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6x0v6f/fox_planning_big_best_picture_oscar_push_for_war/

Umm I think it deserves nomination (and possibly a win) for visual effects but best picture seems like a stretch imo. Or maybe I'm biased because i didn't care for it that much.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 3:26 pm

King Arthur concept art by Kieran Belshaw

I know King Arthur: Legend of the Sword was one of the most easily forgotten blockbusters of 2017, but this little discovery on Art Station got me really irked me, not because it reinforced more of that aggravating vision of Arthurian mythology we got, but because near the beginning they were actually going in the right direction for visualizing Arthurian Britain. Camelot looks EXACTLY how it should look, a grand, inspiring castle gleaming in brilliant sunlight and surrounded by lush countryside! Even the version of it when held in Vortigern's power looked pretty good for what it was.

But what we get is, according to the artist, a"later version getting closer to what the producers wanted", which is a grey, murky, characterless ruin with random bits of rock jutting out all over the place. Its just frustrating to think that maybe, just maybe, they could have had a five or six film saga about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table if: they didn't use the words "cinematic universe" anywhere near it and been so nakedly commercial about it, they kept it faithful to the spirit and look of the myths and legends, and they didn't make it look like every bad attempt to rip off something clearly successful for different reasons. We could have gotten an Arthur film (or film series) worthy of Tolkien. But instead, we have another lost opportunity.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 6:46 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
King Arthur concept art by Kieran Belshaw

I know King Arthur: Legend of the Sword was one of the most easily forgotten blockbusters of 2017, but this little discovery on Art Station got me really irked me, not because it reinforced more of that aggravating vision of Arthurian mythology we got, but because near the beginning they were actually going in the right direction for visualizing Arthurian Britain. Camelot looks EXACTLY how it should look, a grand, inspiring castle gleaming in brilliant sunlight and surrounded by lush countryside! Even the version of it when held in Vortigern's power looked pretty good for what it was.

But what we get is, according to the artist, a"later version getting closer to what the producers wanted", which is a grey, murky, characterless ruin with random bits of rock jutting out all over the place. Its just frustrating to think that maybe, just maybe, they could have had a five or six film saga about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table if: they didn't use the words "cinematic universe" anywhere near it and been so nakedly commercial about it, they kept it faithful to the spirit and look of the myths and legends, and they didn't make it look like every bad attempt to rip off something clearly successful for different reasons. We could have gotten an Arthur film (or film series) worthy of Tolkien. But instead, we have another lost opportunity.

I honestly don't get what's so hard about King Arthur to make a respectable movie about. Medieval times, knights, horses, warfare, sorcery, blood, coming to age, death, primitive artillery (catapults and trebuchets), a magic sword and sheath, castles, love, and friendship. It's very easy. All you really need to add is a few mythical animals (dragons, unicorns, and griffins) and that's all you really need to spice it up.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

This looks to be the first summer since 2006 that the summer box office made less then $4 billion dollars. It also took a 16% drop from last year.

It wasn't for Guardian Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man: Homecoming, then this summer would REALLY be ugly. So far, it looks like Avengers: Infinity War and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom/JP5 are the two movies that will carry next summer.

It's also the first time since summer 2009 that there has not(yet) been a billion dollar summer movie.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/6mk08r/2017_is_the_first_summer_without_a_billion_dollar/
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2017 5:31 am

Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

It's also the first time since summer 2009 that there has not(yet) been a billion dollar summer movie.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/6mk08r/2017_is_the_first_summer_without_a_billion_dollar/

These days studios are realizing that a movie has the potential to be a billion dollar hit if it's placed in the Spring or Winter months, as we've seen from Beauty and the Beast, Zootopia, CA: Civil War, Fate of the Furious and the last two Star Wars movies. I'm certain that if Batman v Superman didn't have all those that it had problems and wasn't as widely disliked as it was (and the only version we ever saw was the ultimate edition) it would have made it to $1 billion no problem. The last summer release to hit a $1 billion globally was Finding Dory in 2016.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2017 1:02 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

These days studios are realizing that a movie has the potential to be a billion dollar hit if it's placed in the Spring or Winter months, as we've seen from Beauty and the Beast, Zootopia, CA: Civil War, Fate of the Furious and the last two Star Wars movies. I'm certain that if Batman v Superman didn't have all those that it had problems and wasn't as widely disliked as it was (and the only version we ever saw was the ultimate edition) it would have made it to $1 billion no problem. The last summer release to hit a $1 billion globally was Finding Dory in 2016.

Or they can just MAKE BETTER MOVIES! Look, I get that superhero movies and Star Wars are the rage now. But if you make a good movie and have a good marketing campaign, it will succeed. There's a market for non-superhero movies too. Jurassic World proved that. You can even throw in the 2014 version of Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island. (Granted that was a spring movie, but I'm adding it since it fits with the non-superhero movies the succeeded.)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Movie Discussion
Page 24 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29 ... 34  Next