Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

JPLegacy Memorial Thread

Go down 
+46
Cha0ticArch0saur
RolandEden
Mysterious Hero M
Nublar7
Hellothasaurus
smaugtheterrible
Spiegel
Levine
Monolophosaurus
evolution_rex
Lord Kristine
Clonehunter
jpsacu
Prowler
Carcharodontosaurus
JVM
Megaspino2
MissDNA
Theta Rex
CloneTrooper101
BarrytheOnyx
Baryonyx111
Rex Prime
Nedryland
Lost
Raptor_Guard999
Océane
urban ratite
Katana
TRK/TrexKing
Paleoman
Metal Gear Rex
Tarbtano
Troyal1
Pugpunasaurus
Crimsonraptor
Rhedosaurus
Dead2009
GwrChurchward
Sickle_Claw
TheRexMan22
CT-1138
Dr. Wu
Spinosaur4.4
TheDreamMaster
Pokesaurus
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 10:47 am

Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 11:50 am

Dead2009 wrote:
#MakeJurassicMainframeGreatAgain

lol! Donald Trump! I like that Dead2009.

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 1:33 pm

I have both warm and bad memories of the site. All and foremost it was a great place of information, just as I hope this forum can hopefully be if it grows a little. I used to pop around in JPL for years and years strictly reading it, ultimately creating a profile there circa 2013-14 and posting for about half a year or something... until (surprise) I was driven mad by certain person in charge we probably don't have to name here, and had to quit. Thankfully, the atmosphere here is relaxed.
Back to top Go down
Prowler
Hatchling
Hatchling
Prowler

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 7:54 pm

I wanted to share something I put together using maps from the JPL encyclopedia.
The Five Deaths + Plus Nublar
Warning: Dimensions = 10557 x 10404
http://orig09.deviantart.net/39cd/f/2017/038/d/f/the_five_deaths___nublar_by_ethereal_hawk-day7hwh.png

I remember seeing this image somewhere on the main JPL site or the encyclopedia.
http://www.erbzine.com/mag41/rjpel04.jpg

The 87 mile line between Nublar and Sorna was done using the marker underneath Sorna. The Nublar map was shrunken to match how the other map compared it to the 5 Deaths (Tacano was a good point of reference due to its near similar size and shape). I edited out the writing and rewrote everything on Nublar to avoid the blurred look then erased the water with magic eraser to fit the background of the main map.

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Prowler wrote:
I wanted to share something I put together using maps from the JPL encyclopedia.
The Five Deaths + Plus Nublar
Warning: Dimensions = 10557 x 10404
http://orig09.deviantart.net/39cd/f/2017/038/d/f/the_five_deaths___nublar_by_ethereal_hawk-day7hwh.png

I remember seeing this image somewhere on the main JPL site or the encyclopedia.
http://www.erbzine.com/mag41/rjpel04.jpg

The 87 mile line between Nublar and Sorna was done using the marker underneath Sorna. The Nublar map was shrunken to match how the other map compared it to the 5 Deaths (Tacano was a good point of reference due to its near similar size and shape). I edited out the writing and rewrote everything on Nublar to avoid the blurred look then erased the water with magic eraser to fit the background of the main map.

That's pretty cool how you made maps from pgs of the old JPL encyclopedia. How long did all that take you?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Prowler
Hatchling
Hatchling
Prowler

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Two days due to classes and how slow it takes to edit these images because of their size.

TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 11:31 am

It took me about 9 months or so to realize after shutting down JPL that I was still a fan of the Jurassic series. My own opinion of the franchise was soured (potentially permanently) due to the stress of maintaining JPL and dealing with the oodles of drama that I really had zero desire with putting up with at all.

I kept away from everything because I was very much finished, but I did miss the simplicity of cataloging the information present in the franchise for digestion on the encyclopedia. People love their head canons though, and arguing for them, but I want to show what I've spent cataloging since I was a teenager and share it with those that believe in the mission of it. That said, D4E and I were talking about this and we started to pull a chat together on Facebook regarding bringing back the encyclopedia in a significant capacity and giving another shot at just running the encyclopedia to finish it altogether. We all agreed the mission was a good one to have to begin with, so we got to work on it. The encyclopedia was a good cause I felt was most important but kept getting overshadowed to the heaps of people forgetting to human.

So we created Jurassic-Pedia and I brought it on March 3rd with a wider opening coming May 23rd in time of TLW's anniversary. Kristine begged me for a forum though to let people do their fan fics and showcase other positive aspects of fandom. That said, I gave her one on the pretense that if it goes to hell and becomes otherwise a cesspool of negativity and vitrol that I can pull the plug and we all re-direct back to working on the encyclopedia. I hope it doesn't because things like art, writing, posting custom toys, props, vehicles, and other creative stuff is positive nurturing and the fandom needs a lot of that as time goes on. That positive nurture is really all I ever wanted.

That said, it's been up and running with the content from JPL of the various media and other aspects of the franchise since the start of the month of March. Fan stuff will be confined to Bungalow only though. I have talked with Pokes here about mentioning Pedia on Mainframe on Skype. He's given me his blessing with allowing this place and Mainframe here to mutually benefit each other as much as possible on that note. Something I'm happy for.

As for people who don't agree with the encyclopedia? That's on you. I'm not doing any or favoring my own head canons here. Believe it or not, that's still on you. I'm not forcing anybody to conform to the facts as we transcribe them. I'm presenting what has been without bias and what the franchise demonstrates itself to be through the media they come out with.

That said, the site is http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/

Be well.

"So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again." - Corrax Entry 7:17
Back to top Go down
http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 11:45 am

TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
It took me about 9 months or so to realize after shutting down JPL that I was still a fan of the Jurassic series. My own opinion of the franchise was soured (potentially permanently) due to the stress of maintaining JPL and dealing with the oodles of drama that I really had zero desire with putting up with at all.

I kept away from everything because I was very much finished, but I did miss the simplicity of cataloging the information present in the franchise for digestion on the encyclopedia. People love their head canons though, and arguing for them, but I want to show what I've spent cataloging since I was a teenager and share it with those that believe in the mission of it. That said, D4E and I were talking about this and we started to pull a chat together on Facebook regarding bringing back the encyclopedia in a significant capacity and giving another shot at just running the encyclopedia to finish it altogether. We all agreed the mission was a good one to have to begin with, so we got to work on it. The encyclopedia was a good cause I felt was most important but kept getting overshadowed to the heaps of people forgetting to human.

So we created Jurassic-Pedia and I brought it on March 3rd with a wider opening coming May 23rd in time of TLW's anniversary. Kristine begged me for a forum though to let people do their fan fics and showcase other positive aspects of fandom. That said, I gave her one on the pretense that if it goes to hell and becomes otherwise a cesspool of negativity and vitrol that I can pull the plug and we all re-direct back to working on the encyclopedia. I hope it doesn't because things like art, writing, posting custom toys, props, vehicles, and other creative stuff is positive nurturing and the fandom needs a lot of that as time goes on. That positive nurture is really all I ever wanted.

That said, it's been up and running with the content from JPL of the various media and other aspects of the franchise since the start of the month of March. Fan stuff will be confined to Bungalow only though. I have talked with Pokes here about mentioning Pedia on Mainframe on Skype. He's given me his blessing with allowing this place and Mainframe here to mutually benefit each other as much as possible on that note. Something I'm happy for.

As for people who don't agree with the encyclopedia? That's on you. I'm not doing any or favoring my own head canons here. Believe it or not, that's still on you. I'm not forcing anybody to conform to the facts as we transcribe them. I'm presenting what has been without bias and what the franchise demonstrates itself to be through the media they come out with.

Be well.

Are you going to pop up over here from time to time like when JW5/JP2 comes out?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 11:52 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:

Are you going to pop up over here from time to time like when JW5/JP2 comes out?

I've been very limited in my interactions due to my mental health. That said I do a bit of interacting on JPToy's Proboards and the Facebook groups for JP: The Group and JPToys as well. Really I just want to keep my interactions positive and stay the heck away from forum moderation altogether. I just want to be a regular member of the fandom that does the encyclopedia. So it is possible I can and might pop out here at intermittent and infrequent points. Otherwise I'm going to be working on the encyclopedia or keeping busy in other ways.

"So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again." - Corrax Entry 7:17
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 12:01 pm

TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I've been very limited in my interactions due to my mental health. That said I do a bit of interacting on JPToy's Proboards and the Facebook groups for JP: The Group and JPToys as well. Really I just want to keep my interactions positive and stay the heck away from forum moderation altogether. I just want to be a regular member of the fandom that does the encyclopedia. So it is possible I can and might pop out here at intermittent and infrequent points. Otherwise I'm going to be working on the encyclopedia or keeping busy in other ways.

I thought as much, but figured I'd ask anyway. Besides, and don't take this the wrong way, you always seem more at home in the one Facebook group then you did at JPL, at least from what I remember.

Back to top Go down
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Because I wasn't pressured with trying to keep a positive environment for everybody and deflecting jerk behaviors to shut down such stupidity. I can easily ignore it and not have to get thrusted into the role of a watch dog or so as I'm a regular member and it's not my problem. That is particularly taxing on me given what all I've been through as a person.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 12:07 pm

TyrannosaurTJ wrote:

Be well.

This cannot have been easy to open up to, but I'm glad you did. I still can't quite get my head around the chaos that was the closing of JPL, but I loved it and it's associated encyclopedia from first seeing it. Thanks for showing up, and sharing the link to the new site.

JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 12:13 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
TyrannosaurTJ wrote:

Be well.

This cannot have been easy to open up to, but I'm glad you did. I still can't quite get my head around the chaos that was the closing of JPL, but I loved it and it's associated encyclopedia from first seeing it. Thanks for showing up, and sharing the link to the new site.

No problem. I knew there were a lot of good people that believed what you believed that I unfortunately stepped on with needing to disconnect and get away altogether to get into a better mental state.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 12:57 pm

TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
TyrannosaurTJ wrote:

Be well.

No problem. I knew there were a lot of good people that believed what you believed that I unfortunately stepped on with needing to disconnect and get away altogether to get into a better mental state.

How you compare building this new site and rebuilding the encyclopedia when compared to updating it back in the JPL day? I mean, one would think your mental health would have improved when making this via lack of stress and such which, in turn, would make this easier as well.

Back to top Go down
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

How you compare building this new site and rebuilding the encyclopedia when compared to updating it back in the JPL day? I mean, one would think your mental health would have improved when making this via lack of stress and such which, in turn, would make this easier as well.

Basically the focus of Pedia is the media itself of the franchise instead of including a community. The problem with the community first and foremost is the fact that head canons are given priority over the actual canon and then debated when people don't agree with or subscribe to those head canons for a variety of reasons. People get incensed and carried away with wanting to direct others to see the franchise how they see it instead of how it actually is. This is a two prong problem, NBC Universal is vague at best and doesn't nearly exercise anything close to the control that something like Lucasfilm's story group would on Star Wars. What direction we did get is very small and quiet and sometimes the evidence of said contradictions speaks for itself. The stress for me was in arguing this with others continually and tirelessly to whit when the other side refuses to acknowledge they're neither right or wrong given what's being presented entirely.

The other aspect is the fandom getting bent out of shape over different opinions. For some reason a lot of people have taken issue with needing to remember to consider thoughts and feelings of people and not be a bunch of jerks to each others. Many will use the freedom of speech argument to escape accountability. That said, I don't have to concern myself with forcing others to be accountable and being decent people between each other because I can focus on my own accountability with the data I present on the encyclopedia as well as coordinating that with the editors we have. It's easier to manage my own accountability instead of playing a juggling act in that while trying to shepherd the fandom due to how broken and embittered it all is at times. I was embittered myself until I took my 8 to 9 month break and established a new approach once I placed my feelings.

So, Pedia cut all that yuck out. I isolated it down to the subjects and stuff that we all agreed should be the focus, the media in the franchise and cataloging it for optimal digestion for the fandom. People can disagree with the encyclopedia, fine. We do have our methods with presenting it in a manner of not just being detached in some aspects, but of being scientific about it while doing so. If the person doesn't wish to acknowledge that and cling to these notions this isn't entirely our problem because we are maintaining our accountability and regularly fact checking to make sure we're on the same page and not misleading the fandom (ourselves and others). It feels good for me to do this because it is the pursuit of knowledge in this case in trying to reconcile the real animals with the animals created fictionally for the franchise to help with an aspect of science communication. I love paleontology and I love the science, and I also love Jurassic Park so that's why the marriage in some respects and why we gave the fictional animals their own binomial genus and species names to help fulfill that. The real world aspect is where JP has certain applications that not a lot of other fictional universes have because of how it meshes with actual paleontology in our world while still maintaining its sense of fiction with its world.

In short, Pedia has been a healthier task for me because I'm staying away from the drama and the yuck of it all while there are a lot of others to pick up said slack and keep it to a level of quality. It's been helpful for my mental health to establish a bit of a direction again. JPL consisted of going in too many directions all at once for me.

As for Bungalow on the site, Kristine basically parlayed me for a fandom forum though to showcase the pluses. I took some time and thought about it given my disposition towards message boards. So I gave her basically her own corner on the pretense that it stays positive. She said she is up to the task. I'm only there if something breaks basically. The fandom needs more creative endeavors and less debating.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 1:54 pm

TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Basically the focus of Pedia is the media itself of the franchise instead of including a community. The problem with the community first and foremost is the fact that head canons are given priority over the actual canon and then debated when people don't agree with or subscribe to those head canons for a variety of reasons. People get incensed and carried away with wanting to direct others to see the franchise how they see it instead of how it actually is. This is a two prong problem, NBC Universal is vague at best and doesn't nearly exercise anything close to the control that something like Lucasfilm's story group would on Star Wars. What direction we did get is very small and quiet and sometimes the evidence of said contradictions speaks for itself. The stress for me was in arguing this with others continually and tirelessly to whit when the other side refuses to acknowledge they're neither right or wrong given what's being presented entirely.

The other aspect is the fandom getting bent out of shape over different opinions. For some reason a lot of people have taken issue with needing to remember to consider thoughts and feelings of people and not be a bunch of jerks to each others. Many will use the freedom of speech argument to escape accountability. That said, I don't have to concern myself with forcing others to be accountable and being decent people between each other because I can focus on my own accountability with the data I present on the encyclopedia as well as coordinating that with the editors we have. It's easier to manage my own accountability instead of playing a juggling act in that while trying to shepherd the fandom due to how broken and embittered it all is at times. I was embittered myself until I took my 8 to 9 month break and established a new approach once I placed my feelings.

So, Pedia cut all that yuck out. I isolated it down to the subjects and stuff that we all agreed should be the focus, the media in the franchise and cataloging it for optimal digestion for the fandom. People can disagree with the encyclopedia, fine. We do have our methods with presenting it in a manner of not just being detached in some aspects, but of being scientific about it while doing so. If the person doesn't wish to acknowledge that and cling to these notions this isn't entirely our problem because we are maintaining our accountability and regularly fact checking to make sure we're on the same page and not misleading the fandom (ourselves and others). It feels good for me to do this because it is the pursuit of knowledge in this case in trying to reconcile the real animals with the animals created fictionally for the franchise to help with an aspect of science communication. I love paleontology and I love the science, and I also love Jurassic Park so that's why the marriage in some respects and why we gave the fictional animals their own binomial genus and species names to help fulfill that. The real world aspect is where JP has certain applications that not a lot of other fictional universes have because of how it meshes with actual paleontology in our world while still maintaining its sense of fiction with its world.

In short, Pedia has been a healthier task for me because I'm staying away from the drama and the yuck of it all while there are a lot of others to pick up said slack and keep it to a level of quality. It's been helpful for my mental health to establish a bit of a direction again. JPL consisted of going in too many directions all at once for me.

As for Bungalow on the site, Kristine basically parlayed me for a fandom forum though to showcase the pluses. I took some time and thought about it given my disposition towards message boards. So I gave her basically her own corner on the pretense that it stays positive. She said she is up to the task. I'm only there if something breaks basically. The fandom needs more creative endeavors and less debating.

I really do hope that when the rights revert back to the Crichton estate,that they sell it off to a movie studio that is able to sort everything all out. Disney, WB, or Fox. After all, Universal isn't going to do anything but let the fans sort it out.

Back to top Go down
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I really do hope that when the rights revert back to the Crichton estate,that they sell it off to a movie studio that is able to sort everything all out. Disney, WB, or Fox. After all, Universal isn't going to do anything but let the fans sort it out.

Unfortunately the guidance with the canon was only offered by Crichton in 1997/1998 when he made the separate media comment because he was bitter about TLW turning out like it did and so different from his book when he was interviewed. The Interview was about the Effects of the Jurassic Park Phenomenon and was included recently on the Blu-ray that came out for the trilogy.

When the JPTG came out in '11 Uni and Telltale basically tried to make it within the canon only to make the matter muddy because of Trevorrow's inclusion of the Visitors Center ruins in Jurassic World. Other aspects have made it into the canon though thanks to the Masrani Global site where it talks about the island previously having a tribe on it and the name of the Mountain being Sibo like in the game. Sure, you could say Masrani tried to rebuild the original Visitors Center before giving up on it altogether as a retcon to make it fit, but the problem is we need something official to say that instead of a fan. It could be presumed of course, but this is a way different than something hidden in the film that ties to the source material like the version numbers thing altogether. They're basically shown and not outright and overtly said at all.

Something like JPTG is more firmly in the films than something like Trespasser because of how much backing Universal and Telltale gave it when they were getting ready to release it. It got included on their Blu-ray release specifically with a lot of fan fare to support that. Trespasser was pegged as a "digital sequel" to TLW back in 1998 when it came out, but there's so many things wrong with it that it is basically in a parallel canon to the films. Though some things did make it on the Masrani site like Hammond's birth date and middle name. So it makes us re-examine its subsequent status again too actually.

The Encyclopedia is always changing because of Universal working with the franchise. It's my hope some day they'll smooth out the inconsistencies effectively and amicably enough.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 2:55 pm

TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Unfortunately the guidance with the canon was only offered by Crichton in 1997/1998 when he made the separate media comment because he was bitter about TLW turning out like it did and so different from his book when he was interviewed. The Interview was about the Effects of the Jurassic Park Phenomenon and was included recently on the Blu-ray that came out for the trilogy.

When the JPTG came out in '11 Uni and Telltale basically tried to make it within the canon only to make the matter muddy because of Trevorrow's inclusion of the Visitors Center ruins in Jurassic World. Other aspects have made it into the canon though thanks to the Masrani Global site where it talks about the island previously having a tribe on it and the name of the Mountain being Sibo like in the game. Sure, you could say Masrani tried to rebuild the original Visitors Center before giving up on it altogether as a retcon to make it fit, but the problem is we need something official to say that. It could be presumed of course, but this is a wee-bit different than something hidden in the film that ties to the source material like the version numbers thing altogether.

Something like JPTG is more firmly in the films than something like Trespasser because of how much backing Universal and Telltale gave it when they were getting ready to release it. It got included on their Blu-ray release specifically with a lot of fan fare to support that. Trespasser was pegged as a "digital sequel" to TLW back in 1998 when it came out, but there's so many things wrong with it that it is basically in a parallel canon to the films. Though some things did make it on the Masrani site like Hammond's birth date and middle name. So it makes us re-examine its subsequent status again too actually.

The Encyclopedia is always changing because of Universal working with the franchise. It's my hope some day they'll smooth out the inconsistencies effectively and amicably enough.

That and the fact that both games bombed doesn't make it easier for people to consider them canon. I'd like to believe that Universal would explain everything better myself. Sadly, it's going to take some really special people for that to happen. And if the 13 years of musical chairs between JP3 and JW mean anything, then I'm not holding out any hopes.

Back to top Go down
Spiegel
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

When the JPTG came out in '11 Uni and Telltale basically tried to make it within the canon only to make the matter muddy because of Trevorrow's inclusion of the Visitors Center ruins in Jurassic World. Other aspects have made it into the canon though thanks to the Masrani Global site where it talks about the island previously having a tribe on it and the name of the Mountain being Sibo like in the game. Sure, you could say Masrani tried to rebuild the original Visitors Center before giving up on it altogether as a retcon to make it fit, but the problem is we need something official to say that. It could be presumed of course, but this is a wee-bit different than something hidden in the film that ties to the source material like the version numbers thing altogether.

That and the fact that both games bombed doesn't make it easier for people to consider them canon. I'd like to believe that Universal would explain everything better myself. Sadly, it's going to take some really special people for that to happen. And if the 13 years of musical chairs between JP3 and JW mean anything, then I'm not holding out any hopes.

There could be a chance, if everyone is lucky, that something like what Fox is doing with the Aliens series happens. They announced they were assembling a team to create a rule book of sorts for all future Alien Franchise movies. I forget exactly what they referred to the group as but basically they will review all of the films and assemble guidelines for future production. In doing so I believe they will perhaps also clarify some of the canon concepts in the series. Of course, they may not and it could end up being nothing more than a waste of time or completely throw everything on its head but only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/JurassicRolePlay/index/
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Spiegel wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

There could be a chance, if everyone is lucky, that something like what Fox is doing with the Aliens series happens. They announced they were assembling a team to create a rule book of sorts for all future Alien Franchise movies. I forget exactly what they referred to the group as but basically they will review all of the films and assemble guidelines for future production. In doing so I believe they will perhaps also clarify some of the canon concepts in the series. Of course, they may not and it could end up being nothing more than a waste of time or completely throw everything on its head but only time will tell.

Totally forgot to respond to you Spiegel. Sorry about that. XD

What you said is true, Fox's handling of Aliens hasn't been the greatest either though in the past, but it is good they're coming around from that mentality to wanting to make everything more in sync with each other. I can only hope other fictional franchise properties follow the example of Disney & LucasFilm and in some respects the MCU as well. Looking back, the Alien universe been fraught with just as many continuity issues (and more in some ways) than the Jurassic series. I can only hope Uni tightens their grip on the continuity. If it does I'll be busy changing things on the encyclopedia, but that's going to happen with new stuff either way.

Work is continuing on the 'pedia. I'm still in the process of integrating and rebuilding our old sections from JPL into the encyclopedia and in their respective categories. Going to use the newer and comprehensive game information that was gathered a while ago integrated with JPL's old information. I finished skinning the Bungalow forum for Kristine on Friday with the exception of a few minor tweaks here and there. I actually based it upon the TLW skin from JPL in some ways as well as the green theme too. Here is the link if you want to check it out and post your art, stories, and pictures. Kristine also has a bit of a promotion going on as well too: http://jurassic-pedia.com/forum/

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Hey Ty, it's good to see you again.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 26, 2017 1:54 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Hey Ty, it's good to see you again.

Hey there, Good to see you too TDM.

Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 9:34 pm

A year later and I catch myself typing jplegacy.org/board. Sigh...
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 9:37 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
A year later and I catch myself typing jplegacy.org/board. Sigh...

I still have the bookmark on the top right corner of my iPad in safari, right beside this site. And it's going to stay that way Smile
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Its great to see this place is still alive and well (albeit a small but recurring audience). Gonna try my best to boost activity before TLW anniversary and Pedias official opening. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:08 pm

You know when I look at the number of joined new members since I registered here four months ago, and see it's only 32, I would be lying if I said that's impressive or even adequate. Also despite being about the same in size, Jurassic Outpost forum still gets the #1 spot if you do a google search for "jurassic park forum". I guess because of the association of that site/brand.

But still, given that forums in 2017 are not the powerhouse they once were, like 10-15 years ago, it's not bad at all. And also, more importantly, at least the active and semi-active community that is here, is quite talkative. Maybe with JP5 the traffic will increase a bit too. Of course getting to JPL traffic levels is probably never going to happen, not here or elsewhere that's not twitter/facebook/etc, but nobody expects that anyway. I think 500-100 by JP5 would be nice, even acknowledging 75% of those accounts would be inactive/non-posting.
Back to top Go down
TRK/TrexKing
Administrator
Administrator
TRK/TrexKing

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:24 pm

You also have to remember that we aren't here to be number one. We are here to be a place where people can discuss what they want. Sure it's JP centric, but general discussion also.it doesn't matter who is number one.

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:29 pm

It's a nice thought, but nice thoughts don't always reflect reality. If Jurassic Outpost (or whatever else source) gets majority of the traffic in the future, or even if no-one gets traffic, this site will continue being what it is now. Which is fine, but even bigger places have died when activity has eventually plummeted down. Active members don't stay active forever in small communities. That might take years of course, but I've seen it happen too many times.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:32 pm

TRK wrote:
You also have to remember that we aren't here to be number one. We are here to be a place where people can discuss what they want. Sure it's JP centric, but general discussion also.it doesn't matter who is number one.

I agree mostly. Quality >>> quantity all day long. 

But at the same time I see what Mistral is saying. There are a good 10-20 people that I was good friends with from the JPL that simply moved on to Outpost(just a few) or completely went dark all together, which was pretty crushing for me.

I agree it's definitely not a competition and I have nothing against Outpost, I understand there was some drama there behind the scenes that I wasn't a part of. But at the same time like @Mistral said, I'd like to see a bit bigger membership. Don't get me wrong, everyone here is great, but we all have our own opinions that are well known(lol) so I want a bigger membership for more varied discussion. And of course as I mentioned earlier I'm still quite sad about some friends that I have no idea where they went after JPL closed. 

But I'm extremely appreciative of what we do have. I think in the past few months the site has been more energetic in discussion than it was 6 months ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:34 pm

I just checked what percentage my post count is in regards to the entire forum, currently sits at 5,49% lol. And number of started threads at 3,73%. I guess that's mildly concerning. Especially since that is in 4 months
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JPLegacy Memorial Thread
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next