Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Star Wars thread

Go down 
+45
The Malone Society
Quetzalcoatlus
Oviraptor
BoulderFaceplant
TyrannoFan
Raptor_Guard999
Robotpo
jericho
K_Ozz92
Six-Foot Turkey
Herrerasaurus
TRK/TrexKing
Troyal1
Bbrink1996
dance2nite
BarrytheOnyx
Rhedosaurus
CT-1138
TheDreamMaster
Levine
1morey
Oshronosaurus
TheRexMan22
T-rex-king
SmugTheFab
V.a.nublarensis
Nedryland
smaugtheterrible
Océane
HennexForest
Baryonyx111
Dr. Wu
GwrChurchward
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?
Velociraptor Rex
Sickle_Claw
owenpratt
Raptor Blue
CloneTrooper101
evolution_rex
Mysterious Hero M
MissDNA
Scott B
Darth Spidey
Dead2009
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 6:09 pm

Short answer is yes, there were attempts in the old continuity. By a Geonosian.
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 6:29 pm

and there are some still-functioning battle droids in Rebels. most recently, it was some activated by a Geonosian (probably directly inspired by that EU story) but the first big one was by General Kalani, a minor character super tactical droid who appeared during the Onderon arc of The Clone Wars. the gist of it is that, when the order was sent out for all the droid armies to deactive, he calculated that it might have been a trick by the Republic and told his droids to ignore the order and kept "fighting" for the Separatists until Phoenix Squadron (including Rex, Anakin's second-in-command for the 501st) stumbled on them. he's still running around in the galaxy somewhere, but has come to terms with the war ending because neither the Republic nor the Separatists won--the Empire did

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 7:07 pm

T-rex-king wrote:
Just a personal pet peeve...it's Rogue One, not Rouge One

They had the latter trending on Twitter when the first trailer dropped lol!

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 7:12 am

It looks like the Boba Fett movie isn't dead yet. It will probably be shown in 2020.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 am

Still don't care all that much about the idea of a Boba Fett movie. Maybe there's a creative way to portray him without leaning on what the Prequels showed us with Boba being a clone of Jango Fett, like never getting to see his face like how the movie Dredd never showed us Karl Urban's face. One idea I heard from a friend of mine that would interest me is if Jango's cloned son is killed and a new bounty hunter takes his place, complete with a different voice. That be a perfect slap to the face of having Temeura Morrison's voice replace the original voice of Fett in The Empire Strikes Back.

The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 2:06 pm

This has turned to one of those franchises for me where there is "obligation" to watch the new upcoming films, even though I don't particularly want to anymore. You know like season 15 of TV series where the fire has long burned out. Alright, the new actual Episodes I'm "sort of" looking forward to (I guess? am I?) but the standalone cash movies I couldn't care less about. Still I feel like if I don't watch them I'm missing something out and left ignorant, as it's such a pop culture phenomena. So I guess I just have to watch them, all 477 of them in sight... it feels like going to work
Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 8:46 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Still don't care all that much about the idea of a Boba Fett movie. Maybe there's a creative way to portray him without leaning on what the Prequels showed us with Boba being a clone of Jango Fett, like never getting to see his face like how the movie Dredd never showed us Karl Urban's face. One idea I heard from a friend of mine that would interest me is if Jango's cloned son is killed and a new bounty hunter takes his place, complete with a different voice. That be a perfect slap to the face of having Temeura Morrison's voice replace the original voice of Fett in The Empire Strikes Back.

Jason Wingreen thought Star Wars was odd and a simple paycheck. No qualms whatsoever his voice was replaced. The mantle idea is just not good either. Who in their right mind would don the same exact armor and mask and pretend they are Boba Fett instead of making their own name? Kylo Ren would make more sense trying to be Vader at this point.

Accents change over time anyway, and he wasn't around his dad anymore. Boba's voice could change and be reasonable without the mantle stuff.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Scott B wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:

Jason Wingreen thought Star Wars was odd and a simple paycheck. No qualms whatsoever his voice was replaced. The mantle idea is just not good either. Who in their right mind would don the same exact armor and mask and pretend they are Boba Fett instead of making their own name? Kylo Ren would make more sense trying to be  Vader at this point.

Accents change over time anyway, and he wasn't around his dad anymore. Boba's voice could change and be reasonable without the mantle stuff.

I'll throw a nerd fit if they do go with the mantle idea for a Boba movie. Not because I'm in love with what they did to Boba, but I feel like that is slapping Lucas in the face. I get he sold it all to Disney, its theirs to do with as they please, but they bought it and are selling the current editions as the canon offering right now. Just because someone, even Lawrence Kasdan who I believe originated the story idea of the Fett mantle, who had involvement in previous Star Wars entries, I don't feel has the right to overwrite a particular piece. For all the sacrilege it'd be, if Disney said "We want to shape our own Star Wars universe, so we're remaking the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy, and making our canon from there" in like 30 years, I'd more ok with that, than if Disney suddenly said "We appreciate what we paid for from George, but his prequels are too infamous. We're going to be remaking Episodes I-III in our own idea of what happened, and they are the canon version now. We'll look to see if Clone Wars still works before deciding it's canon fate." (Which would cause problems for their Rebels series as well.).

In the new EU, some guy has Boba's Sarlacc damaged armor, which they don't really explain how it got where it was. I figure it means Boba did escape, or someone killed the Sarlacc and retrieved stuff from it's insides. I don't mind moving forward someone using the mantle, or using the armor as an intimidation tactic. It makes for a different story than some of the outlandish things done to Boba in the old EU.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 2:01 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Scott B wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:

Jason Wingreen thought Star Wars was odd and a simple paycheck. No qualms whatsoever his voice was replaced. The mantle idea is just not good either. Who in their right mind would don the same exact armor and mask and pretend they are Boba Fett instead of making their own name? Kylo Ren would make more sense trying to be  Vader at this point.

I'll throw a nerd fit if they do go with the mantle idea for a Boba movie. Not because I'm in love with what they did to Boba, but I feel like that is slapping Lucas in the face. I get he sold it all to Disney, its theirs to do with as they please, but they bought it and are selling the current editions as the canon offering right now. Just because someone, even Lawrence Kasdan who I believe originated the story idea of the Fett mantle, who had involvement in previous Star Wars entries, I don't feel has the right to overwrite a particular piece. For all the sacrilege it'd be, if Disney said "We want to shape our own Star Wars universe, so we're remaking the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy, and making our canon from there" in like 30 years, I'd more ok with that, than if Disney suddenly said "We appreciate what we paid for from George, but his prequels are too infamous. We're going to be remaking Episodes I-III in our own idea of what happened, and they are the canon version now. We'll look to see if Clone Wars still works before deciding it's canon fate." (Which would cause problems for their Rebels series as well.).      

In the new EU, some guy has Boba's Sarlacc damaged armor, which they don't really explain how it got where it was. I figure it means Boba did escape, or someone killed the Sarlacc and retrieved stuff from it's insides. I don't mind moving forward someone using the mantle, or using the armor as an intimidation tactic. It makes for a different story than some of the outlandish things done to Boba in the old EU.

^All of this. You can't all of a sudden replace the old Boba Fett with a 'new' one. That would be like how the 1986 Animated Transformers movie replaced Optimus Prime with Rodimus Prime (And even then, they least they had enough common sense to have Megatron to fire the killing shots.) and how JP3 shoved down a new big carnivorous dinosaur down our throats (Spinosaurus). The only way how that can work was if Jango had a conventional biological son that he abandoned before he had Boba, and even that probably wouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Maybe I just don't know enough about Boba Fett to even comment on him properly. I tried to dive headlong into discussing a character who I think is kind of overrated anyway.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 3:22 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Maybe I just don't know enough about Boba Fett to even comment on him properly. I tried to dive headlong into discussing a character who I think is kind of overrated anyway.

I mean if you know the movies, you know enough. In terms of actual canon, Boba is only in Episode II, V, VI, and a handful of Clone Wars episodes. Maybe a novel or a couple comics but I'm not as up to date on those. My complaints mostly fall on screwing with what Lucas wanted. In terms of the films I'm not even a huge fan of Episode II, but I respect Lucas because he did what he wanted with his own money, and didn't back down to all the people who were already complaining about Phantom Menace. I don't think it'd be fair that he, and to a lesser extent Dave Filoni with Clone Wars, built an actual story for the character and then someone who hasn't been involved in the franchise for years, or potentially at all comes and completely changes the character. Lucas may not own Star Wars anymore, but it would feel like a huge disservice to him, especially after all that early controversy over Disney tossing out his sequel treatments. (Not that his treatments may have been fantastic, and TFA turned out mostly fine.)

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2017 3:57 pm

I remember reading that Sith/Dark Force users lightsabers have been ret-conned that the synthetic crystals are non-canon and that they get them from dead Jedi and their negative use of the force somehow corrupts the color of the blade into red. Is that true? If so, how did Klyo Ren get his lightsaber if he didn't make it? Is he the first Dark Force use to make his own lightsaber then?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Synthetic crystals are still canon. They were re-established although they are exceptionally dangerous to use now.

Getting them off dead Jedi and corrupting them hasn't ever been right though IIRC.

Kylo Ren just found a red kyber (grates me to write kyber instead of kaiburr) crystal and used that. Since red can be found naturally.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
I remember reading that Sith/Dark Force users lightsabers have been ret-conned that the synthetic crystals are non-canon and that they get them from dead Jedi and their negative use of the force somehow corrupts the color of the blade into red. Is that true? If so, how did Klyo Ren get his lightsaber if he didn't make it? Is he the first Dark Force use to make his own lightsaber then?

So from what I remember, I think this was referring to the Inquisitors, when originally talked about recently. From Wookiepdia, it says "Kyber crystals were inherently attuned to the light side of the Force, and would attempt to resist any effort by dark side practitioners to utilize them in lightsabers. To this end, the only way a Sith, or other darksider could make use of a kyber crystal was to use the Force to dominate the crystal, bending it to their will. This process would cause the crystal to "bleed", as if it were a living organism, resulting in the distinctive crimson-bladed lightsabers synonymous with the Sith. However it was also possible to "heal" a kyber crystal corrupted in this way. The only known instance of purifying a corrupted kyber crystal was when Ahsoka Tano purified the two crystals she retrieved from the Sixth Brother's lightsaber following his defeat. In this case, the crystals turned white."

There's another article where synthetic kyber crystals are still a thing, but by official sources, the lightsabers of all canon Sith were not synthetic, and made by the method above.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 11:16 am

Star Wars: Episode VIII Title Officially Revealed as Star Wars: The Last Jedi!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 11:38 am

It's alright.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 11:59 am

The Last Jedi sounds like a fair title to me; it's certainly better than The X Strikes Back or Attack of the Y. Nice and straightforward.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 1:37 pm

Is it just me, or does the title pretty much give away that Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is finally going to kill off Uncle Luke?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Maybe Luke's gone to the dark side and there are no jedi. Except Rey when she eventually becomes one.

Or after Luke trains Rey to become Jedi Knight and she leaves him to fight off Ren in Cloud City -equivalent location, where her friends are being held hostage by the new Empire after Lando-equivalent betrayed them, maybe Luke just dies off (naturally or by own hand). And we will have just one new Jedi in the galaxy. Again.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 4:21 pm

I would be sorely disappointed if the Empire similarities were that obvious. Somehow, that wouldn't fit with Rian Johnson's style; Abrams on the other hand is no stranger to drawing such parallels.

As for Luke, I don't know. He might make it into the next film, and die there. Remember, 'Jedi' is a plural for itself.

Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 4:55 pm

I like the title, simple yet effective, better than "The First Order Strikes Back" which was rumoured last year.
Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Good title. Might have been too on the nose for IX.

The only question is if it refers to Luke or Rey. Likely Luke. Since Rey can still train and NOT be a Jedi. And without it paralleling ESB. Return of the Jedi lowkey refers to Anakin Skywalker.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 3:18 am

Scott B wrote:
Good title. Might have been too on the nose for IX.

The only question is if it refers to Luke or Rey. Likely Luke. Since Rey can still train and NOT be a Jedi. And without it paralleling ESB. Return of the Jedi lowkey refers to Anakin Skywalker.

To be fair, Jedi can be plural. So "The Last Jedi" could refer to the last group, or in this case Luke and Rey.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Star Wars: Rouge One has made over $1 billion dollars.

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 pm

incidentally, our old webmaster Tyrannosaur commented on facebook that the new title is rather ominous, especially with how it was presented--red lettering instead of the usual yellow, so who knows what all this could mean?

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 9:52 pm

I still say that Luke is going to get offed by his deranged nephew.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smaugtheterrible
Hatchling
Hatchling
smaugtheterrible

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 11:52 pm

I'm almost hesitant to even guess who the "Last Jedi" is (or are). It could be Luke, it could be Rey... that all seems too simple though. Maybe it's even Kylo Ren! I still hope for more focus on non-Jedi force users, as well.

Either way, I'm hoping for a good movie!

Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 12:46 am

Goosebumps! I can guess this is the one where we'll learn whether Ren's really evil at heart, or if he can be turned.

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 12:34 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
I still say that Luke is going to get offed by his deranged nephew.

I have to ask. Considering how the X-wings were more heavily armed and armored then the TIE fighters, at least the TIE intereceptors had better firepower, and how Lucas based Star Wars off WW2, is it possible that the TIE fighters were based off the Japanese Zero and other lightly armed and armored fighter early in the war and the X-Wings were based off American planes F4 Wildcat, F4U Corsair, and the F6 Hellcat.

I've been thinking about that for sometime, even more so with a really good book about Japanese military aircraft of WW2 that I got for Christmas.

I'm sorry, but if they have to do away with Leia, I'm going to be very mad if Kylo takes out Luke. We may not need an OT carry over past Episode IX, but Kylo got his big kill with his father. Having him kill off Luke, it comes in in that bad fanfiction kind of way (similarly, despite my love of TFA, to how I relate Rey's sudden instantaneous knowledge of how to use the Force.). Unless you've never read that fan fiction, you know the one, "I've got this character, and he's the most powerful Sith, he learned from Darth Plagueis but they thought he died, but he didn't. And he was Darth Maul's father, so he's got the red and black tattoos, and he uses two double blades lightsabers. And when he shows, he kills Luke and destroys everyone, except my OC Jedi, who has to learn to use all the Force because they're the only Jedi left now."

Kylo Ren certainly isn't that over the top, and I guess you could argue he's a younger guy fighting older characters, but I really don't feel he deserves to kill off anymore of our major characters.

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 4:01 pm

smaugtheterrible wrote:
I'm almost hesitant to even guess who the "Last Jedi" is (or are). It could be Luke, it could be Rey... that all seems too simple though. Maybe it's even Kylo Ren! I still hope for more focus on non-Jedi force users, as well.

Either way, I'm hoping for a good movie!
hell, for all we know it could actually be referring to Ahsoka!

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Star Wars thread
Page 6 of 31Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 31  Next