Posts : 38
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2017-06-21
Location : New South Wales, Australia
|Subject: Who saw the movie first before reading the book? Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:00 am
Who saw the film a gazillion times and then read the book and were blown away by how different the book is?
I remember I couldn't believe the amount that was left out of the book!
What part of the book surprised you the most?
For me personally, these are the differences that surprised me the most:
1. In the book, Tim is actually OLDER than Lex instead of it being the other way around like it is in the movie.
2. In the book, there are actually two T-Rex's not just one. There's a fully grown adult and a baby that's described to be about eight foot tall.
3. Ian Malcolm's frequent rants in the book are incredible and unforgiving. In the movie we get a completely dummed down version of Ian Malcolm
who doesn't really go off that bad. (although who can fault Jeff Goldblum in all his brilliance). =P
4. John Hammond actually dies at the end of the novel. Ian Malcolm does too (apparently), but Michael Crichton found a sneaky way of bringing
Malcolm back to life for TLW's novel.
5. There are characters who's descriptions in the book aren't anything like who they are in the movie. Alan Grant is described as "Bearded and Barrel Chested''. Ian Malcolm is described as "Balding". Robert Muldoon is described as having a "Steel Grey Moustache" although the Robert Muldoon in the movie is clean shaven right up until his death scene. Donald Gennaro is far younger in the novel than the Gennaro we see in the film.
6. There are character's who plainly don't even get a mere mention in the film. Martin Guitierrez and Ed Regis just to name a couple.
7. In the novel, after the T-Rex attack, Grant and the two kids spend the night inside a maintenance building, not in a tree like in the movie.
8. There's enourmous chunks of the story that are just left out. The T-Rex chase in the river, grant killing raptors by inserting poison into the eggs and tricking them into eating them, where they go into the raptor nest to count the animals.
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Posts : 1007
Reputation : 59
Join date : 2012-04-06
Location : Chicago
|Subject: Re: Who saw the movie first before reading the book? Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 am
I certainly did. I was born a few months before the movie even came out, and I saw the movie a year before TLW came out. I didn't read the book until I was in middle school, which was in the early 2000s.
_______________SOMETHING HAS SURVIVED
Posts : 1708
Reputation : 68
Join date : 2016-06-08
|Subject: Re: Who saw the movie first before reading the book? Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:42 am
Posts : 1507
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2012-04-07
|Subject: Re: Who saw the movie first before reading the book? Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:46 pm
I saw the movie first, and I think I knew vaguely about the book, but never read it until much later. It was when I first saw it in my school library and I was like...there's a book??? And I still dont know how it got in my school library as a kid since that book was way above junior high level....at a catholic school too
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
|Subject: Re: Who saw the movie first before reading the book?