Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Empty
PostSubject: Interesting Isla Sorna Geography    Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 4:24 pm

So, I'm pouring over some TLW production photos, screencaps, and promotional imagery (because what the Hell else does a man do at 1 a.m. in the morning?) and something very striking about the way Spielberg and Kaminsky filmed the Kauai unit keeps popping out to me.

Unlike how Spielberg filmed the first Jurassic Park on Kauai, with a mixture of dense jungle locations and locations with mountainous background, TLW used Kauai to portray exclusively large mountainous volcanic cliffs among the backgrounds, with the Redwoods unit being used to almost exclusively film the dense jungle parts. There are no mountains shown in the Redwoods, and they're there. Trust me, they're there. Mind you, this is all discounting any studio usage, and refers only to on location shoots.

Kauai Unit (exclusively volcanic cliffs in background):
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Hog8TXI

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  2QgvLGD

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  DBEQKpp

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  7hzJvcj

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  M6sktJk

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Vk16JNb

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  6RfLMwk

Redwoods Unit (exclusively dense jungle):
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  GwTTPoY

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  YYsmM3r

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  L1inioM

This got me to thinking about how Isla Sorna is described in the novel: an eroded volcanic crater, with large volcanic cliffs bordering dense jungle. "From his vantage point, he was able to see to the far side of the island. a rim of hard black cliff miles away. Between here and the cliffs they saw nothing but gently undulating jungle." - Michael Crichton's "The Lost World"

Which got me thinking: are the visuals of TLW the movie more inspired by the novel than we realize? The silhouette and image of novel Isla Sorna was utilized sparsely among some promotional material:
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  AGcaFug

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  ADjneoL

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  7E6hzNP

But the more I examined the more I found it: craggy volcanic cliffs overshadowing dense jungle.

It's there on the VHS cover:
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  N5AuAOS

On the promotional images:
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  YYbKIcB

And and even the KP Skips pop-ups!
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  X5KwYad

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  13lmfgR

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  XYsJzNq

What do you guys think? Am I reading too much into the scenery here? Or do you guys think that it's more intentional than we realize?

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Henrique_Z_Tomassi
Embryo
Embryo
Henrique_Z_Tomassi

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Isla Sorna Geography    Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2020 5:21 pm

What about this one?

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Isla_s10

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Banner11
Back to top Go down
http://jurassicpark44.org
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Isla Sorna Geography    Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Henrique_Z_Tomassi wrote:
What about this one?

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Isla_s10

Highly speculative map from Bernard Kyer. The map itself is also production used, not screenused, and matches almost none of the maps shown on screen.

TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Isla Sorna Geography    Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2020 6:04 pm

Actually that map is from Joel Meine originally. Brachio was the one that suggested that they didn't go to the town in TLW, but an outpost which can't be proven without some back breaking continuity retcons from higher up. He did try to revise all the film canon locations based off of this assessment though. Problem being is the film locations are nebulous it involves a lot of guesswork and detective work to match things up. Brachio's revisions and such did push for a more significant contribution tied in with that, which I'll explain in a moment.

Joel Meine originally tried to hybrid Trespasser and novel canon in on the original Sorna map then, that's sort of where I came in at the time to do a revision that kept it strictly film-canon oriented due to the discrepancies and overall lack of cohesion between the novel version of Sorna and Trespasser version of Sorna.

So now the thing I was going to mention in closing here: The one really big thing Brachio did determine with the map is that between the prop map doesn't really match up with the maps in the film. The topography is vastly different so that's what spawned the need to make a new topographical map based off that. It just got over zealous because the idea was if the map changed then everything else could have changed. So the issue with that is that the new map was unable to clue us in on the exact locations of the buildings on Sorna while the prop map very much pointed out like the location of the Worker's Village. I know that's where T-Rex_Master and ACR came in trying to reconcile the mountain layouts with what we saw in the films. The issue is that it was 95% speculation from analyzing the films to find cohesion for placement of the locations.

Revised Map:

http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/sorna.png

Documentation Post:

http://jurassic-pedia.com/jpls-isla-sorna-map-sf-notes-and-annotations/

"So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again." - Corrax Entry 7:17
Back to top Go down
http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Isla Sorna Geography    Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2020 6:29 pm

Here's a list of all of the maps that are either "official" or appear in the film...

Hammond's computer map (False color)
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  6mBBQkz

InGen encampment AV map (possible variant of the false color map on Hammond's computer)
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  PPsIjQa

Alt colorized variant of the trailer map (from the TLW Scrapbook) This is the one that Pedia based our map on.
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  GC2ohos

Satellite view from Eddie Carr's GPS (released by Todd Marks, who worked on the computer sims for the movie)
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  CMbieZt

Topographic map also from Eddie Carr's GPS. This is part of the load screen and wasn't shown in the movie, but a view of it can be spotted running in the background on the computers in the RV trailers:
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  FkhCwio

Full Las Cinco Muertes sat view, which matches the GPS map above. This was released a part of a teaser Universal released for an upcoming limited edition boxed set.
Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  VK6ukeJ

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Isla Sorna Geography    Interesting Isla Sorna Geography  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting Isla Sorna Geography
Page 1 of 1