Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Suggestion for the actual forum

Go down 
+3
Troyal1
Levine
thingBreaker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
thingBreaker
Embryo
Embryo

Suggestion for the actual forum  Empty
PostSubject: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:19 pm

So I understand licenses aren't cheap for forums, but whoever is in charge here needs to make sure that if this forum outgrows it's free abilities (for lack of a better term), that the database can be exported and downloaded so you can migrate it to another host (as opposed to just backing it up to the local server).

Don't take this the wrong way, but a free phpbb forum doesn't actually scream professionalism especially without a top level domain attached to it. Get that settled before people keep migrating over here to minimize disturbances. Register jpuniverse.com or something. I guess you could keep using phpBB, although vBulletin is pretty much the standard.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thingbreaker.com
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Right now I think we are okay, but we are definitely considering growing and perhaps even purchasing our own domain in the event we get "that big", but for now I think we are good for now.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:49 pm

What Richard said. I think right now this is acting as a haven for us to congregate.

Just to throw this out there.... If we do go down the path of getting big and growing the site. I'd be more than happy to help with a money donations, or some other help. Smile
Back to top Go down
thingBreaker
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:55 pm

Seriously though, it's like $12 for a domain name. You can have it redirect to this forum. Let me know which one you want and I'll buy it for you. Then people can just type in that name and even if you eventually host your own forum it'll direct them to the right place....
Back to top Go down
http://www.thingbreaker.com
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:57 pm

thingBreaker wrote:
Seriously though, it's like $12 for a domain name. You can have it redirect to this forum. Let me know which one you want and I'll buy it for you. Then people can just type in that name and even if you eventually host your own forum it'll direct them to the right place....

Is this a legitimate offer? PM me privately. I'll talk this over with the staff.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 9:02 pm

thingBreaker wrote:
So I understand licenses aren't cheap for forums, but whoever is in charge here needs to make sure that if this forum outgrows it's free abilities (for lack of a better term), that the database can be exported and downloaded so you can migrate it to another host (as opposed to just backing it up to the local server).

Don't take this the wrong way, but a free phpbb forum doesn't actually scream professionalism especially without a top level domain attached to it. Get that settled before people keep migrating over here to minimize disturbances. Register jpuniverse.com or something. I guess you could keep using phpBB, although vBulletin is pretty much the standard.

Is vBulletin what JPL used? I loved that. Not familiar at all with web terms.
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 9:02 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
thingBreaker wrote:

Is vBulletin what JPL used? I loved that. Not familiar at all with web terms.

Yeah, vBulletin is the forum host for JPL, along with GoDaddy.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 9:04 pm

If love to see it make a return if possible. Not to copy or anything, but I found it extremely useful to use. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 9:24 pm

I asked Ty, and he said that it cost 30-40 dollars every couple years (he couldnt afford month to month). Could work, if we get backers.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Consider me a potential backer if we get to that point. Also god bless you guys who made this. I mean that. I really do
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 10:21 am

Would it be possible to send money via normal mail instead of via online? Right now, I'm kind of paranoid about making a Pay Pal account and having hackers steal all my money.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 10:30 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Would it be possible to send money via normal mail instead of via online? Right now, I'm kind of paranoid about making a Pay Pal account and having hackers steal all my money.

The chances of someone stealing your money through the postal service is a lot higher than it would be if you sent it through PayPal.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 10:40 am

Dead2009 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

The chances of someone stealing your money through the postal service is a lot higher than it would be if you sent it through PayPal.

I don't doubt that, but at least I know the postal service won't steal all my money in one big blow like hacker can. So at least I have that knowledge.
Back to top Go down
GwrChurchward
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 3:25 pm

I will support this, but will it work?
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 4:08 pm

GwrChurchward wrote:
I will support this, but will it work?

If youre asking if sending money for the domain will work, it's already been done!  cheers

Back to top Go down
tigris115
Hatchling
Hatchling
tigris115

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 6:15 pm

I definetly think the look of the forum itself needs a spit

The dinosaur encyclopedia thread needs to be updated after JW

And here's a novel idea- an international section
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 6:18 pm

@tigris115

What do you mean by "spit"? Like a new look? Because we are definetely always looking into how we can look better.

And do you mean the Dinosaur Fact Files at the very top? Sure, we can update those.

And what do you mean by an "international" section?
Back to top Go down
tigris115
Hatchling
Hatchling
tigris115

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
@tigris115

What do you mean by "spit"? Like a new look? Because we are definetely always looking into how we can look better.

And do you mean the Dinosaur Fact Files at the very top? Sure, we can update those.

And what do you mean by an "international" section?

I meant a place where people who speak languages other than English can meet
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 7:50 pm

We will consider it to determine it's viability.

Also, I looked into potentially "moving hosts" to a better server and it is unfortunately impossible. Apparently the data for the forum is locked in some kind of "Forumotion database" which we arent allowed to access, so even if we could transfer we cant. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Suggestion for the actual forum  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestion for the actual forum
Page 1 of 1