Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?

Go down 
+8
Troodon_formosus
Megaspino2
Aegyptiacus3
JPMalcolmDilo
Physalisfresser
Megatronus Rex
CT-1138
Tarbtano
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Tarbtano
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Tarbtano

JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Empty
PostSubject: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 12:35 pm

In 2001, controversy ripped through the JP fandom when newcomer to the scene, Spinosaurus, trounced long time fan favorite, Tyrannosaurus rex. While I can commend JP3 for introducing the popular audience to a new super theropod, and one that looks very distinct from Tyrannosaurus, I won't defend the decision making behind it. I didn't like how it was done, but it happened. However after 2001, the endless debating ensued talking about the points of the fights. Many of them, understandable given audience and fanbase, discussion why the Tyrannosaurus rex lost for _____ reason and ______ reasons it should have won.

This isn't the spot to debate them because lord knows we've all seen enough "Spino vs. Trex" threads.

No, instead this was a criticism of one of the most commonly cited arguments, but just on a biological level and not on the debate side. A statement I've seen echoed across a good dozen youtube videos, JPL's encyclopedia, game forums; and chatrooms. That the Tyrannosaurus rex in Jurassic Park 3 was a "subadult". 90% of the time in the context of,
Quote :
Oh the Rex was just a subadult, an adult would have been much bigger.
Quote :
It was a subadult, so it was a lot less experienced of a fighter
Quote :
The Rex was a subadult, so the Spino only killed a youngster

"Subadult" in biological terms is just signifying something is not an adult. In layman's terms its usually used to denote something of the equivalent of a teenager, a stage after child and juvenile, but before maturity. However, here's the thing. The JP3 Rex wasn't small, at all.

JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Latest?cb=20140916024049

The Tyrannosaurus from JP3 was 11.2 meters long and 4.4 meters tall. For comparison, here's the individuals from all the films; with all figures rounded to tenths.

Rexy* - 12-13.4 meters long, 4.9 meters tall
TLW Male "Buck"- 12 meters long, 4.5 meters tall
JP3 Rex - 11.2 meters long, 4.4 meters tall

*Rexy's size estimates are all over the place so I used the latest ones

Is it smaller than Rexy and "Buck"? Yes, but only just barely. We're talking about a size difference of around 11% tops in comparison to Rexy and even less so in comparison to Buck. That is pretty minuscule and well within the range for various adults. Remember, just like how not every man is 6'3, not every Tyrannosaurus is going to be 40+ feet long. Considering the JP3 individual's size is actually pretty close to TLW's adults, it's more a factor that Rexy is an outlier than the JP3 Rex is undersized. The individual we saw in the third film, in comparison to both the rest of the franchise and IRL fossil Tyrannosaurus rex is about average actually. Remember that in biology, "Adult" =/= Absolute Maximum size. Adult usually denotes that one is sexually mature and partaking in courtship/mating. The Tyrannosaurus from JP3 is well within the adult size range for the species (again, not all adult Tyrannosaurs are >40 feet long), and has scars on its muzzle which clearly came from another large carnivore. Yes, this is due to it being a refurbished TLW prop, but the fact the scars are there means that canonically it has gotten in a scrap before. If this was a true subadult, we'd expect it to be a lot smaller (on the order of 30 feet or so) and not have those markings.

And what of the other major allegation leveled at it?

- Inexperienced -

Not likely at all. It's an adult animal so it's been hunting, fighting, and killing on its own. Even if it was a true subadult, it would still have experience by merit of living away from its family since it was young. Saying "Subadult = doesn't know anything" is huge ignorance of biology by attributing human subadulthood (teenagers living off parents) to animals.

As for actually "knowing how to fight", may I remind you these are creatures of instinct. They don't learn much from one conflict to another, they fight based off what sensory input and instinct tells them too. Even if it did learn from experience, the argument falls flat soon as you bring Rexy into this. Rexy is an animal who've lived almost her whole life in captivity. She'd never have fought another large carnivore before confronting the Indominus, aside from possibly a noticeably smaller Baryonyx. In comparison, the JP3 Tyrannosaurus grew up on Sorna and has been confronting and interacting with an entire ecosystem of larger or similarly sized Tyrannosaurs and other large carnivores as it grew up. So if one insists "experience" plays a big role, by that logic the JP3 Rex would have more experience than Rexy.

Now, am I bashing Good Ol' Rexy or playing the part of the dumb-ox Spino Fanboy? No. I've just been hearing this argument (almost entirely trumpeted by a very Pro-Rex crowd) for fifteen years and it's bugged me for most of those years. It runs on faulty logic and seems to exist solely to support a confirmation bias of "Rex should have won because _____", despite making little sense in the context of the both biology and the films. Heck, as dumb as the Pro-Spino side can be as the extremes on the other side, I hardly ever see anyone point out the Spinosaurus had an airplane crash into it not ten minutes before fighting the Tyrannosaurus; and thus wasn't in peek form in the match up.

Come on guys, we're better than this. It's been over a decade and a half. Can't we drop the excuses finally? The Spinosaurus fought and killed an adult Tyrannosaurus rex. It might have been by mandate from the director and paleo adviser, and may not have been a fondly remembered scene, but it's canon and it happened. Just because we don't like it doesn't change it.

Last edited by Tarbtano on Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 12:46 pm

Interesting assessment Tarb! Certainly makes me rethink my stance on the whole JP/// Subadult T. rex thing. Another thing that would lend credence to the JP/// T. rex being an adult specimen is the fact that, despite the size of the ILM model, the animatronic that we briefly see was the Bull T. rex animatronic from TLW. The Bull T. rex animatronic was created by modifying the female mold from the first movie. So, the T. rex Buck animatronic from TLW was on the same scale as Rexy from the first movie.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Tarbtano
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Tarbtano

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 1:08 pm

Ah, more proof this excuse is a farce. Thanks for the compliment by the way. If you want my honest opinion, if the JP3 rex was a genuine subadult, we would have seen a minimum 30% size difference between it and the range set by the previous two films. So that be something on the order of 27-30 feet long, 10-12 feet tall, and maybe 4 tons. Put that next to the 40+ foot, 9 ton Spino and it would have been an enormous size mismatch. The JP3 individual was just an average sized adult. Slightly smaller than the other ones we'd seen before, and maybe not absolutely full size yet, but only by a slime margin to the point it makes no real difference.

Angry fanboys saying the Spino would suddenly get utterly curbstomped by say, TLW Male, because it beat a male slightly smaller than that individual is like saying; "I can lift my 120lb friend with ease, but trying to lift 130lbs would shatter my spine".  Neutral

Far as I'm convinced in-canon, an adult InGen Spinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus stand a pretty equal chance of killing each other. We just happened to see one fight the Spino won.
Back to top Go down
Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Megatronus Rex

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 2:58 pm

I don't necessarily agree, but I do think this was a well thought out analysis.

A size difference of merely 3' would still yield a big weight difference in a creature such as the big theropods, no?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuEb77i1zKVDNUSAyk_pZ-A
Physalisfresser
Hatchling
Hatchling
Physalisfresser

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 4:28 pm

To add a bit to the paleontology part of this discussion: A average T.rex is about 10m (33 ft?) in length. I never really liked the "subadult" approach and I think it's just a way to make Spino's victory a bit less significant. Actually the Spino in the movie is around 15m (50 ft) long if remember correctly, which ist the actual size estimate for the Spino, made by paleontologists.
Back to top Go down
Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Megatronus Rex

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 5:49 pm

The Spino's given size was 43ft going by the JP3 size chart.
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 5:54 pm

Physalisfresser wrote:
To add a bit to the paleontology part of this discussion: A average T.rex is about 10m (33 ft?) in length. I never really liked the "subadult" approach and I think it's just a way to make Spino's victory a bit less significant. Actually the Spino in the movie is around 15m (50 ft) long if remember correctly, which ist the actual size estimate for the Spino, made by paleontologists.
43ft, but yeah. The JP/// Spino is pretty close to the average size for a Spino. 

Also, I thought the average T. rex was closer in range to around the upper 30ft. CM 9380 was 39ft, FMNH PR 2081 was 42ft, AMNH 5027 was 40ft, MOR 555 was 38ft, and BHI 3033 was 36ft. From what I can tell, most adult specimens range somewhere around 35-40ft long. JP/// T. rex was 37ft long, and would be right smack in the middle of the average T. rex size.

Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Megatronus Rex

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 6:52 pm

Perhaps it's just my head-canon, but the JP rexes seem slightly bigger than average real life Tyrannosaurs. It could be InGen's genetic meddling, or something else. With Rexy being an impressive 44ft and the couple from TLW being 40-42ft, it gives me that thought. The JP/// male looks undersized compared to them, but yeah, he does appear to be adequately-sized when placed into our real fossil record.

However, I don't think those that believe the male is a sub-adult are simply trying to downsize the Spino's accomplishment, or what-have-you. There are those rabid, ignorant fanboys, of course, but as far as my belief goes, I found it easier to believe the sub-adult idea due to the size difference between the Tyrannosaurs in the movies.

I can't make a full response to the OP at this time, but later tonight I'll have some minutes to spare. This is fun.
Back to top Go down
JPMalcolmDilo
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 8:04 pm

I think its just T Rex fans being sore losers lol. I understand why though...
Back to top Go down
Aegyptiacus3
Hatchling
Hatchling
Aegyptiacus3

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 8:15 pm

Tarbtano wrote:
Ah, more proof this excuse is a farce. Thanks for the compliment by the way. If you want my honest opinion, if the JP3 rex was a genuine subadult, we would have seen a minimum 30% size difference between it and the range set by the previous two films. So that be something on the order of 27-30 feet long, 10-12 feet tall, and maybe 4 tons. Put that next to the 40+ foot, 9 ton Spino and it would have been an enormous size mismatch. The JP3 individual was just an average sized adult. Slightly smaller than the other ones we'd seen before, and maybe not absolutely full size yet, but only by a slime margin to the point it makes no real difference.

Angry fanboys saying the Spino would suddenly get utterly curbstomped by say, TLW Male, because it beat a male slightly smaller than that individual is like saying; "I can lift my 120lb friend with ease, but trying to lift 130lbs would shatter my spine".  Neutral

Far as I'm convinced in-canon, an adult InGen Spinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus stand a pretty equal chance of killing each other. We just happened to see one fight the Spino won.

Completely agree! I've been trying to explain this to people for ages! That the male JP3 Rex realistically depicts the appropriate size for an average Tyrannosaurus - 11/12 metres. I know this isn't technically canon because it's from the novel, but Wu states that "dinosaurs mature rapidly, attaining full size in 2-4 years" so if we assume this was a Sorna-bred T.rex, it would pretty much be at full size anyway.

CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 8:54 pm

Megatronus Rex wrote:
Perhaps it's just my head-canon, but the JP rexes seem slightly bigger than average real life Tyrannosaurs. It could be InGen's genetic meddling, or something else. With Rexy being an impressive 44ft and the couple from TLW being 40-42ft, it gives me that thought. The JP/// male looks undersized compared to them, but yeah, he does appear to be adequately-sized when placed into our real fossil record.
Oh they definitely are. The way I measured the JP T. rex from the first movie, she seems to be roughly 16ft tall at the hip, and the Jurassic World size charts seem to agree with the assessment. Sue herself is only 13ft tall at the hip.

BTW, this is how JPLegacy got the size for the TLW Bull T. rex. Anyone know how they got to this conclusion? 
JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Cl3OV5u

Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Megatronus Rex

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 9:01 pm

JPMalcolmDilo wrote:
I think its just T Rex fans being sore losers lol. I understand why though...
It's not about that at all, at least not for me. It's about analyzing the fight from both sides and not letting bias affect one way or the other. With this sort of claim, one could easily say the Spinosaurus fans are looking for any way to make it more impressive.
Back to top Go down
Megaspino2
Megaspino2

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 9:18 pm

You present some interesting arguments. I would like to add though that there is evidence that dinosaurs really didn't stop growing:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/03/adult-dinosaurs-still-growing_n_4194913.html

A quote from the article, " As to what continued growth looked like, Horner argues that it involved larger rather than longer..."

Simply put it seems that height and length may not be the way to tell if a dinosaur is older, but rather bulk/mass. If this is true, then there may be enough to still prove that the rex in JP3 isn't as old as rexy or TLW pair. And to anyone that tries to say I'm a "rex fanboy" I simply point to my screen name Razz.

Here's a render of the CGI model of the JP3 used in the film (from the size chart) :

Spoiler:

And here's some shots of the CGI model of TLW male in the movie :

Spoiler:

To me, the male rex from TLW looks significantly bulkier in the tail and neck than the JP3 rex. Even the JP rex does :

Spoiler:

To me, the JP3 rex is not as bulky or robust as the other t.rex in the franchise. If we go by the article which points to older dinosaurs having been more massive then it seems that the TLW pair and rexy are both older than the JP3. More bulk equals more muscle and weight which means that those animals may have fared better than the individual seen in JP3.
Back to top Go down
Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Megatronus Rex

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 9:45 pm

That's a bit of what I meant earlier, that 3ft may not look like a big difference, but it does help in allowing for more mass. It's the same with bodybuilders and the like, in that there's only so much muscle you can pack onto a skeleton, so someone taller can theoretically gain more muscle than someone shorter.
Back to top Go down
Tarbtano
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Tarbtano

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Megaspino2 wrote:
You present some interesting arguments. I would like to add though that there is evidence that dinosaurs really didn't stop growing:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/03/adult-dinosaurs-still-growing_n_4194913.html

A quote from the article, " As to what continued growth looked like, Horner argues that it involved larger rather than longer..."

Simply put it seems that height and length may not be the way to tell if a dinosaur is older, but rather bulk/mass. If this is true, then there may be enough to still prove that the rex in JP3 isn't as old as rexy or TLW pair. And to anyone that tries to say I'm a "rex fanboy" I simply point to my screen name Razz.

Here's a render of the CGI model of the JP3 used in the film (from the size chart) :

Spoiler:

And here's some shots of the CGI model of TLW male in the movie :

Spoiler:

To me, the male rex from TLW looks significantly bulkier in the tail and neck than the JP3 rex. Even the JP rex does :

Spoiler:

To me, the JP3 rex is not as bulky or robust as the other t.rex in the franchise. If we go by the article which points to older dinosaurs having been more massive then it seems that the TLW pair and rexy are both older than the JP3. More bulk equals more muscle and weight which means that those animals may have fared better than the individual seen in JP3.

While this is interesting and the article is accurate in that dinosaur growth rates were very unique, it still falls short on one problem.

The model for the JP3 Rex is identical to the other two films'. Not only is it a handy way to try to keep things in scale, but it's a very pragmatic choice from just a time perspective. Do you really think the filmmakers would try to make this fight any less impressive and waste digital effects artists' time by intentionally making the JP3 rex scrawnier?

The reason the model looks different if both the pictures you're using are of the Buck Rex and Rexy in motion. In comparison, you used the JP3 individual while it was standing completely still, upright, and in profile. Look again using a screenshot from JP3

JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Jurassic-park-3-spinosaurus-vs-tyrannosaurus-rex

JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Trex_vs_spinosaurus_by_kongzillarex619

Aside from color, there really isn't any difference in terms of bulk between the three. As as CT posted, the size difference between the LW Buck and the JP3 Rex is incredibly negligible at best. In fact if we used the lower size estimates for Buck, he's actually slightly smaller.

Rexy is the largest Tyrannosaurus we know of in canon, and wouldn't doubt she's got a good half a ton or so on either of the two from TLW or the individual from JP3. That's not what I'm debating here. I'm also not debating the idea the JP3 individual is a bit younger than the previous films' animals, the bright color suggests that (but brighter color is typically a trait of an adult in their prime so take of that what you will). However by a good chunk of the fandom insisting the JP3 Tyrannosaurus is a subadult, not only does that directly contradict it's size estimation, but also the model and animatronic they used for it.
Back to top Go down
Megaspino2
Megaspino2

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Here's about the best shot of the bull standing still in TLW:

Spoiler:

For whatever reason the tail still looks thicker, maybe it's something to do with the darker lighting. Are you sure they're using the male CGI model and not the female?

Either way I kind of agree that it isn't a pure sub adult in the sense that it's a "teenager".
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 10:26 pm

Tarbtano wrote:
The model for the JP3 Rex is identical to the other two films'. Not only is it a handy way to try to keep things in scale, but it's a very pragmatic choice from just a time perspective. Do you really think the filmmakers would try to make this fight any less impressive and waste digital effects artists' time by intentionally making the JP3 rex scrawnier?
Actually... that isn't entirely correct. Unlike JP and TLW, ILM didn't 3D scan models into their computers for JP///. Rather, they did what they did with many of the dinosaurs from JW, and built skeleton models, then added layers to them. In the first two movies, ILM scanned maquettes from SWS into the computer. They did the same thing for the T. rex in JW, using the same scanned maquette as the original: 
JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  GIn7oKl

From there, a wire frame was built and tweaked as needed. They then added a solid layer and colored that in, creating the CGI creation we saw on screen. 
JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  How-4-minutes-of-cgi-dinosaurs-in-jurassic-park-took-a-year-to-make

However, in JP///, they did the same thing they did in JW. They created a CGI skeleton and added various layers, then the solid skin layer that they colored in: 
JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  TdeBC99
JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  EZvqvnT

Anyway, to get back to my original point, the JP/// CGI T. rex was not the same as the models from the first two, and in fact did not even use the same kind of technology to be created as the first films used.

Tarbtano
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Tarbtano

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 10:29 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
Tarbtano wrote:
Actually... that isn't entirely correct. Unlike JP and TLW, ILM didn't 3D scan models into their computers for JP///. Rather, they did what they did with many of the dinosaurs from JW, and built skeleton models, then added layers to them. In the first two movies, ILM scanned maquettes from SWS into the computer. They did the same thing for the T. rex in JW, using the same scanned maquette as the original: 
Spoiler:

From there, a wire frame was built and tweaked as needed. They then added a solid layer and colored that in, creating the CGI creation we saw on screen. 
Spoiler:

However, in JP///, they did the same thing they did in JW. They created a CGI skeleton and added various layers, then the solid skin layer that they colored in: 
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Anyway, to get back to my original point, the JP/// CGI T. rex was not the same as the models from the first two, and in fact did not even use the same kind of technology be be created as the first films used.

[Added spoilers to shorter post size]
I stand thankfully corrected, forgive me Crichton for I have gotten a JP fact wrong. And sadly proven of another potential waste-of-time endeavor JP3 partook in, depending on perspective. Point that the JP3 Rex's model wasn't really any leaner than the other two, with the scale picture looking that way due to posing, stands though.

Megaspino2 wrote:
Here's about the best shot of the bull standing still in TLW:

Spoiler:

For whatever reason the tail still looks thicker, maybe it's something to do with the darker lighting. Are you sure they're using the male CGI model and not the female?

Either way I kind of agree that it isn't a pure sub adult in the sense that it's a "teenager".  

Bit of the darkness and angle. Hold your arm out and look along its side as you move it around, and you'll see what I mean. The tail on Buck is about 70% the size of the ribcage, about the same scale on the JP3 Rex.
Back to top Go down
Troodon_formosus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Troodon_formosus

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 7:12 pm

The only real "subadult" evidence I can see is its lighter coloration than the TLW buck, but there are other reasons that it might not have taken on its adult color yet.

Can we agree that JP///'s Spino just has monstrously strong arms due to being a mutant? I mean everybody's okay with the Pteranodons from JP/// being mutants, and that movie did focus mainly on things that went wrong on Isla Sorna, so the spinosaur being one of these "accidents" makes thematic sense.

The Forgotten World Characters: Cessna (Pteranodon longiceps masranii ♀)
Back to top Go down
http://exploresecondearth.boards.net/
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 8:07 pm

Troodon_formosus wrote:
The only real "subadult" evidence I can see is its lighter coloration than the TLW buck, but there are other reasons that it might not have taken on its adult color yet.

Can we agree that JP///'s Spino just has monstrously strong arms due to being a mutant? I mean everybody's okay with the Pteranodons from JP/// being mutants, and that movie did focus mainly on things that went wrong on Isla Sorna, so the spinosaur being one of these "accidents" makes thematic sense.

I think the strong arms were okay. Spinosaurus (the real one) had bulky strong arms too so I don't see that as a problem.

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Megatronus Rex

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:11 pm

From my understanding, real Spinosaurs' arms were pointed inward and couldn't even rotate downward, making it impossible for a real-life situation of T.rex neck snapping to happen.
Back to top Go down
Tarbtano
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Tarbtano

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:13 pm

All JP theropod's arms are rotated the wrong way.

Faelrin
Embryo
Embryo
Faelrin

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 1:02 am

Very interesting. While I always kind of thought of the situation akin to how it could play out in JPOG (either of them winning, or chasing the other off, and then throw in potential experience, individual characteristics, luck, etc, into the mix), its nice to see some reasoning that supports that particular Tyrannosaurus could be/is an adult. Also nice mention of the Spinosaurus totally being injured (right?), from the plane. I forgot about that completely, as I haven't watched this movie in so long.

As much as I'm wondering what the deal is with the color choice (production reasoning, or in universe explanation), it could be anything, until someone comes out and says why. I see the colors used to claim its not grown, but did the infant rex have brighter colors like the JP3 one, or was it more like the buck from TLW, aka its parent? But yeah there's probably a dozen ways to explain why it was different. Design choice (I'm leaning on this since most dinosaurs in JP3, and even the pteranodons where different then before), genetics or individual variance (I'm assuming it works this way), breeding season, or it being not fully grown, etc.

Also yes, the wrists are pronated versus being supinated, like they would be in real life. I'm sure there's probably a ton more of potential explanations for that as well (like pronated wristed theropods being accurate to the JP universe, genetic tampering, etc), though its probably just a design mistake that just stuck.
Back to top Go down
Tarbtano
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Tarbtano

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 2:00 am

Heck, one way to read the brighter color could be the opposite reasoning as the "Brighter = Younger" claim. Most of the time the brightest reptiles and birds are breeding age males. Younger males, but not young as in sub-adult; young as in they're in their prime. Most of the time the darker males are either older adults or very young individuals since bright colors usually make for bad camouflage.

CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 11:44 am

Faelrin wrote:
I see the colors used to claim its not grown, but did the infant rex have brighter colors like the JP3 one, or was it more like the buck from TLW, aka its parent? 
Unlike his father, which had a sort of olive drab green going on, the infant T. rex from TLW took the male color scheme and made it reminiscient of a baby Alligator. The yellow was less dull, and more of a highlighter yellow. The underbelly took on pinkish tones, and the green was bright and youthful: 
JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  AvhUlSE

Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Megatronus Rex

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Faelrin wrote:
Very interesting. While I always kind of thought of the situation akin to how it could play out in JPOG (either of them winning, or chasing the other off, and then throw in potential experience, individual characteristics, luck, etc, into the mix), its nice to see some reasoning that supports that particular Tyrannosaurus could be/is an adult. Also nice mention of the Spinosaurus totally being injured (right?), from the plane. I forgot about that completely, as I haven't watched this movie in so long.

As much as I'm wondering what the deal is with the color choice (production reasoning, or in universe explanation), it could be anything, until someone comes out and says why. I see the colors used to claim its not grown, but did the infant rex have brighter colors like the JP3 one, or was it more like the buck from TLW, aka its parent? But yeah there's probably a dozen ways to explain why it was different. Design choice (I'm leaning on this since most dinosaurs in JP3, and even the pteranodons where different then before), genetics or individual variance (I'm assuming it works this way), breeding season, or it being not fully grown, etc.

Also yes, the wrists are pronated versus being supinated, like they would be in real life. I'm sure there's probably a ton more of potential explanations for that as well (like pronated wristed theropods being accurate to the JP universe, genetic tampering, etc), though its probably just a design mistake that just stuck.
It's not as if the plane hit it dead-on. That would've resulted in the plane more or less being a crumpled mess on the runway. Instead, it glanced the Spino's hip, which you can see during the subsequent fight. I'd hardly consider that a significant wound that played any factor in its performance. I mean, it took hits from a Tyrannosaur to the same leg and got right back up, as well as a bite to the neck and none of that brought it to any mortal standing.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2019 5:31 am

I never believed the idea that the JP3 T Rex was a "sub adult" or "teenager" for one simple reason..

The entire goal of JP3 was to firmly establish that the Spinosaurus species was much bigger and much more powerful than the T Rex species.

Now wich is the more effective way to acomplish that goal? By having the Spino quickly kill a fully grown adult T Rex (wich the previous film said was the greatest predator that ever lived) or by having the Spino kill a teen T Rex?

It makes no sense, to say it was a teen. If it really was a sub adult T Rex then that would be like having a pro boxer beat a teen boxer to show how great the pro boxer is.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
LostWorld
Hatchling
Hatchling
LostWorld

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2019 1:03 pm

I don't agree with the sub-adult term that's been attached to the scene, but my initial impression upon seeing JP3 for the first time (in 2011-ish during my first ever Jurassic marathon) was that the rex in that film was noticeably less imposing and formidable than the rexes from the previous two films (before the outcome of the short brawl had been determined). Its general build didn't appear to be quite as massive, and the vocalizations also seemed to be relatively... weaker? I don't know if that was just coincidence or intentional while the film was being produced, but the 'official' size chart makes sense for that particular T.rex. It also displayed different behavior towards a human group than TLW male, with it leaving its food to pursue Grant and the others (a sign of a more youthful, curious, and inexperienced rex... ?) while TLW male sniffed around the camp/food source not giving a you-know-what about all the screaming humans flailing about.

I've never been a fan of how the Spino was way oversold here (especially with it supposedly being a semi-aquatic animal that can somehow go toe-to-toe with apex land dwelling large carnivores... on completely dry land!), or Jurassic dino brawls in general. During the very brief fight, the film at least showed that the tyrannosaur seemed to have the better battle instincts/strategy (Spino was on the defensive almost the whole time), landing a bite to the neck that should have done some permanent damage, and then a charging head ram. The only problem was that this was Spino's film, so it tanked everything with insta-repair before pulling out the insta-death card to great effect, SHOCK, controversy (a big seller!) and..... yeah.

To get back to the topic of sub-adult, the JP3 tyrannosaur was around 3 feet shorter than the male from TLW. While it may not seem much at all when anything is that size, the difference in pure mass and weight between two mature male crocodiles is actually quite big.

Taken from Wikipedia regarding Saltwater Crocodiles:      

Quote :
[...]The weight of a crocodile increases approximately cubically as length increases (see square-cube law). This explains why individuals at 6 m (19 ft 8 in) can weigh more than twice that of individuals at 5 m (16 ft). In crocodiles, linear growth eventually decreases and they start getting bulkier at a certain point. Dominant males also tend to outweigh others[...]

If that comparison can even somewhat be applied to two mature male tyrannosaurs (about twice the length of a full grown Saltwater Crocodile) separated by just a length of 3 ft., perhaps it can help explain some things. In any event, my ideal scenario would have been for the brawl to have no conclusion (some scrapping and warding away type stuff), Grant and the others escape, and the series' icon goes back to its meal not to be seen again. I would have even been fine if super Spino would have been the one to ward the rex away from the area if Horner and Johnston were so stuck on over-selling it as the big bad of that particular film.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?    JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JP3 Tyrannosaurus: Subadult?
Page 1 of 1