Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films

Go down 
+7
Troyal1
TheDreamMaster
Sickle_Claw
V.a.nublarensis
CT-1138
Tyrant Lizard
owenpratt
11 posters
AuthorMessage
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Empty
PostSubject: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 3:32 pm

Is there a moment, a scene, a shot, a character in the Jurassic films, that for you is often overlooked or underrated by many?
A thing that gets you everytime while watching the movie, but that nobody talks about?

For example:
In Jurassic World, there is a scene when Masrani is in the paddock observatory and says "..and that?" and we see the broken glass, and Claire answers "She tried to break the glass", so Masrani answers "I like her spirit".
I absolutely love that little moment, but I'm shocked at how few times it's been discussed or even mentioned on the forums/Twitter/etc by people and fans.
I remember I was surprisingly scared with that little shot of the broken glass the 1st time in the theater. It was like a sort of remake of the nursery broken fences from which the Raptors escape in the 1st JP movie. It doesn't show you the creature, but it makes you feel its presence, and its high level of danger. With that single shot, Colin Trevorrow really did a very Spielberghian-suspense thing, showing us the madness and aggressive side of the Indominus, without showing the actual animals. The music was chilling too there.

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 5:25 pm

The moment in control room in Jurassic World, when Owen finds out that the ACU team are going after the Indominus with non-lethals, and he turns to Claire and Masrani and says "These men are going to die." I though Chris Pratt did a fair job throughout the film, but his delivery on that line gave me chills.

Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 5:33 pm

The moment in the high hide when Ian, Kelly, and Eddie are up in it and the T. rex roars. It's a great moment that's often overlooked due to the awesome trailer sequence that follows. 

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 7:39 am

Malcolm and Sarah's conversation after the Stegosaurus attack. I find the dialogue engaging somehow.
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 11:28 am

I think in the film, a good example of an under rated moment at least for me in JP that doesn't get talked about a lot..Grant in the tree with the kids. A nice quiet scene where he talks with them and they bring up the question of what he will do with his life now that the dinosaurs are back. He replies..."
I guess we'll just have to evolve."

Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 11:55 am

The plane scene in Jurassic Park ///. Not the Spinosaurus attack, when they are coming in, and we see all the herds below. It's a short scene before the landing sequence starts, but with the dinosaurs being further away, the CGI looks really nice, and it gives a great sense of majesty. Even Grant is awed once again by them for a moment. It's a much more well done scene than the herds at the river later in the film.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 9:15 am

The fact that Jurassic World opens with a broken egg. Like Jack Anthony Ewins said in a JW commentary, it symbolizes very well how JW is a "new animal", a new trilogy. You notice this especially if you do a marathon of all the movies.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 7:42 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
The moment in the high hide when Ian, Kelly, and Eddie are up in it and the T. rex roars. It's a great moment that's often overlooked due to the awesome trailer sequence that follows. 

That's my favorite part of the scene.
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 8:21 pm

I like the Rex Roar in the high hide...it really does a good job of "implication" without showing us the dinosaur. You get the anticipation of waiting for the Rex to appear fully on screen and see how massive it truly is by the way the trees move.

Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 6:33 am

The 15 seconds or so of black screen and wind/growls background sounds at the very beginning of The Lost World. I still wonder why Spielberg decided to do that, but imo it's really genius. I imagine people who watched JP in 1993, waiting impatiently for TLW to come out, and then, after the Universal logo, they can't wait to see the film, but Spielberg is like "Wait... wait... you hear the wind, the growls? suspense, dude, suspense" lol
I love that moment.

Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 11:25 am

The moment in JW where Zach Mitchell is talking to his mom on the phone while the Rex is behind him eating the goat. Its a nice contrast to the first movie where the kids are glued to the window while the Rex eats the goat. Here Zach couldn't care less and its a testament to this generations jaded feeling about the dinosaurs.

Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:
The moment in JW where Zach Mitchell is talking to his mom on the phone while the Rex is behind him eating the goat. Its a nice contrast to the first movie where the kids are glued to the window while the Rex eats the goat. Here Zach couldn't care less and its a testament to this generations jaded feeling about the dinosaurs.

Also when Zach almost misses the Mosasaurus because of her girlfriend selfie

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 11:29 pm

one that i think isn't acknowledged enough is Masrani's sense of foresight (even if it's a little too late and doesn't come up much after) where, when he learns that Indominus has tried to escape and decides to call in Owen

"We have the best structural engineers in the world."
"So did Hammond."

also, as to the high hide scene, one little bit in there had to be pointed out in a youtube comment for me to realize it: before Malcolm even speaks after the roar, the very first thing he does is turn off the lantern. why? he was remembering the first rex attack, when she was lured over to the other car by a light!

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 6:09 am

Oshronosaurus wrote:

also, as to the high hide scene, one little bit in there had to be pointed out in a youtube comment for me to realize it: before Malcolm even speaks after the roar, the very first thing he does is turn off the lantern. why? he was remembering the first rex attack, when she was lured over to the other car by a light!

Awesome detail!

Back to top Go down
LostWorld
Hatchling
Hatchling
LostWorld

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 6:11 pm

In TLW, when Roland and Ajay discovered the Rex nest for the first time. The way the two are reacting to the sight and the flies while overlooking a partially eaten carcass. You can almost feel you're in there with them (this film is drenched in atmosphere). Great subtle acting, and the (short) scene is a good setup for what will happen later that night - especially just following the light, adventurous game trail scene. Chilling.

Last edited by LostWorld on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Troodon_formosus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Troodon_formosus

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 5:30 pm

Malcolm's reaction to seeing the rex with its snout in the tent Sarah and Kelly are sleeping in. He stands there immobile from shock, because he's seen this before. On the tour road at Jurassic Park, outside the tyrannosaur enclosure. The animal jams its head into the vehicle, where Tim and Lex should have been safe, putting them in mortal danger. He's not just standing still out of fear, he's flashing back to that moment on the tour road. It's happening again. Except this time, it's his kid.

The Forgotten World Characters: Cessna (Pteranodon longiceps masranii ♀)
Back to top Go down
http://exploresecondearth.boards.net/
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Jurassic Park - There are many high caliber scenes in the first film, and there really isn't a part of the film that isn't extensively covered. But to steal from Belated Media, I think the ice cream scene between Hammond and Ellie is one of the best overlooked scenes in the franchise. Not only is it a nice repreive from the tension and adventure scenes before it, but it illustrates how the fun-loving energy has been taken out of Hammond and how his dreams are crumbling around him. Not only is his dream dying, but he too faces the inevitable end like the dinosaurs he brought back to life. He clings desperately to his dream. The slowly melting ice cream is a subtle reflection of that frailty of both himself and his dream, and his own desire for some sort of great legacy to leave.

The Lost World - A lot of great scenes have been covered by fans here, so it was hard to come up with something different. But if I had to chose a scene, I would go with the reunion between the T. rex Buck and the Infant. The baby runs towards his father and the Male utters a low, almost lion like growl that betrays warmth and parental instinct. Then he turns around and viciously snarls at Ludlow, and catches him and gently demonstrates how to hunt and kill Ludlow to the infant, even gently nudging him towards making the kill. A heartwarming moment between two ferocious predators.

Jurassic Park /// - Grant's monologue about astronomers and astronauts. This is something I can relate to as an artist, dinosaur lover, and as a person as a whole. It perfectly encapsultes the desire to see something real and tangible that is also extraordinary, just as well as the Hammond eating ice cream scene in Jurassic Park.

Jurassic World - The tracking shot of the Cretaceous Cruise transitioning to the ACU hunting down the Indominus rex. It starts with an image almost right out of Dinotopia with humans and dinosaurs living harmoniously side by side, but the beautiful illusion is shattered when we see the stern, steely machinery operating at high speed just to keep the illusion going. It's a reflection of the less glamorous mechanical workings underneath a glamorous theme park setting, the man behind the curtain as it were. And like Ellie said in the first film: "It's still a flea circus. It's all an illusion!"

Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films   Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Underrated or often overlooked moments in the Jurassic films
Page 1 of 1