Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters Empty
PostSubject: Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters   Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Who are your favorite & least favorite novel characters?

One person to each only please.

Mine:

Jurassic Park

Favorite: Malcolm. It's just so much fun, everything about him in this. As a kid when I first read the book I got somewhat bored in his endless monologues about mathematics and shapes and cotton prices and natural order and chaos and so on, you know because I just wanted it to lead to the action. But with repeats and repeats and repeats of reading they have easily become my favorite parts. But it's just not the speeches he gives that make him so enjoyable, it's the whole characterization Crichton gives for him that surpasses even what the film gave us. It's just brilliant, multi dimensional portrayal. A true rock star.
Least Favorite: Gennaro. It's difficult since I like all the characters in this novel, but had to pick someone. So while I do not having anything against him, the film did much better job in integrating his character into Ed Regis and thus connecting the best of both worlds. As a side not I also don't understand his interaction with Grant at the end when they start arguing on what should be done in the aftermath.

The Lost World

Favorite: I'm not huge fan of this novel, and it's a far cry from the first one (ironically just like in the movie universe) however the character of Levine is easily the best part of it. He's like the spoiled, arrogant version of Daniel Jackson doing paleontology. I just love his selfish attitude, child like wonder and counter arguments with Malcolm who's in turn unfortunately turned somewhat annoying. I especially like the scene where they enter Levine's home and it's all kept in perfect condition under the sheets, with him wanting perfect order and no-one touching anything.
Least Favorite: Arby. Useless, boring version of Tim. Why is he there? Why are there kids again in the first place? Levine's arrogance was fun, but this kid is more like a smug. And he brings nothing to the story, they could've handed the "computer wizardy" role to Doc Thorne so he could've been to some in the expedition. There are other characters that annoy me in this novel too, incl Kelly, but Arby's easily number one.
Back to top Go down
Aegyptiacus3
Hatchling
Hatchling
Aegyptiacus3

PostSubject: Re: Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters   Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2017 7:26 pm

JP:
Favourite - Malcolm (Love his rants/lectures)
Least - Regis (Useless coward)

TLW:
Favourite - Sarah Harding (Total badass)
Least - Dodgson (Well written, but I just dislike him)

Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters   Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2017 9:04 pm

JP: Favourite - Wu and Malcolm, but I think I'll put Wu above Malcolm *don't fire me* because I like scientists and I felt Wu was genuine. I liked everything about his character. I could write a book about how I identify sometimes with him and how great he is. He's a scientist, smart, a caring person (he shows concern about the kids, offers himself to be a bait for the raptors, help Arnold and Muldoon) and not to mention his conversations with Hammond were amazing. Chapter 4.4 is one of my favorites. He did some mistakes with genetics and was a bit arrogant, but those are flaws that just make him more human. All humans are flawed. I like the scene where he helps Muldoon when he's hurt, or when he helps Arnold to find what the hell Nedry did to the systems, or how he offered himself to go and turn back the power, or even when he helped Alan Grant to find the right path to turn back the power. Hell, I love every scene with him, even the moments before his death. He takes science so seriously and wants to discover new things. So yeah, unpopular opinion here, but I just love his character on the novel. Might as well explain why I'm so crazy to see his character on the movies. Smile

Least - Tim, Hammond, Lex, any of those XD

TLW: Favourite - Malcolm
Least - Richard Levine. Yes, Levine above Dodgson.  Mad

Also, I don't dislike Regis because of what he did to the kids. To be honest, people call him a coward but 90% of the human population would have done the same as him. He left the kids, but he was scared as hell and didn't want to be dino food. He wasn't a coward IMO, since it's natural for humans when scared to run, I would have done the same. And I ask you, if you were in his position with a T.rex out there, would you stay there or try to escape? Adults get scared too, not only kids. What makes me dislike him is how cold and calous he was when bringing a wounded worker to medical help, how he didn't care a single about his life.

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters   Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 5:12 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Also, I don't dislike Regis because of what he did to the kids. To be honest, people call him a coward but 90% of the human population would have done the same as him. He left the kids, but he was scared as hell and didn't want to be dino food. He wasn't a coward IMO, since it's natural for humans when scared to run, I would have done the same. And I ask you, if you were in his position with a T.rex out there, would you stay there or try to escape? Adults get scared too, not only kids. What makes me dislike him is how cold and calous he was when bringing a wounded worker to medical help, how he didn't care a single about his life.

Yeah, but most people probably at least would yell at the kids to come along or try to drag them with, or something.

But IMO that wasn't really the worst part in his behavior, it was when he decided not to go back to the incident place when he heard kids voices down the road. Rather he turned back to return to the visitor center and started imaging excuses.

I still like the character though, he's different Smile especially the part where he seems annoyed to play catch with Lex Smile although as I said the film handed it better by integrating him to Gennaro.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters   Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:

Yeah, but most people probably at least would yell at the kids to come along or try to drag them with, or something.

But IMO that wasn't really the worst part in his behavior, it was when he decided not to go back to the incident place when he heard kids voices down the road. Rather he turned back to return to the visitor center and started imaging excuses.

I still like the character though, he's different Smile especially the part where he seems annoyed to play catch with Lex Smile although as I said the film handed it better by integrating him to Gennaro.
That's why I don't like to have kids around, bc if something happens to them, I'll be responsible, even if I did nothing wrong. It's not like kids can't run or stuff. But I think everyone reacts differently. I can't say I would be all brave and get them out with me or not run like crazy.

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters   Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:

That's why I don't like to have kids around, bc if something happens to them, I'll be responsible, even if I did nothing wrong. It's not like kids can't run or stuff. But I think everyone reacts differently. I can't say I would be all brave and get them out with me or not run like crazy.

Well the kids can't always run if they're little enough, and even if they can, perhaps not fast enough Wink Sometimes you of course have no choice in being someones company.

I don't know, personally it's the kind of thing you just would have to do, just like in if you were driving on the road and suddenly had car crash in front of you with it's driver and/or passenger thrown to the ground or something. Most would go to help. Natural instincts and sort of general responsibility to do something.

But each to it's own. And of course none of us can really predict what would happen at the sight of T-Rex, in dinosaur theme park, in thunderstorm Laughing
Back to top Go down
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters   Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 am

JP:

Favorite: Dr. Grant. He may be an everyman, but unlike some I like everyman kind of heroes. And he had a beard!

Least Favorite: Lex. My pain-in-the-neck sister wouldn't have been even half as whiney.

~

TLW:

Favorite: Man, this one is really hard. I like Dodgson, Levine, King, Thorne, and Eddie from this novel. Hard to pick a favorite. So, I guess, for now I'll say King. Because he had a wild time on the island, surviving the car crash and trying to reach the boat on time. And he hit obstacles (Packys, Trikes, T-Rexes, trees. . .) but he managed to plow through. Until the end when he got caught by raptors. That chase scene was quite extreme. I won't lie, I was rooting for him to make it. Why not? He wasn't evil like Dodgson. He felt regret towards Sarah's supposed death. Just goes to show that even if you aren't as twisted as everyone else, if you're on the bad guy's team you're gonna end up biting the dust.

Least Favorite: Baselton. I mean, come on. I pitied him as he was dying, like I do with every character, but there wasn't anyone who added less to the story than Baselton.

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters   Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite & Least Favorite Novel Characters
Page 1 of 1