Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?

Go down 
+3
T-rex-king
tigris115
Minmi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Minmi
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Minmi

T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Empty
PostSubject: T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?   T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 6:50 pm

There's always been a lot of debate over wether T-Rex was an active hunter or nothing more than a scavenger. Personally, based on today's predators, I think T-Rex was both a scavenger and an active hunter. There's no reason to think T-Rex couldn't have been a hunter as it has all the things an active hunter needs: a powerful bite, strong claws, terrific vision and an excellent sense of smell. On the other hand, there's also no reason to think T-Rex couldn't have just let someone else do the hunting then come along and steal the food.

Titled "Raptor vs T-Rex", episode 11 of "Jurassic Fight Club" depicts a pack of raptors killing an Edmontosaurus, only to lose half of their meal to a hungry T-Rex (the raptors are left with nothing but their victim's tail).
Back to top Go down
tigris115
Hatchling
Hatchling
tigris115

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?   T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Alright, time to staple this can of worms shut.
Why T. rex is a hunter:
Thank you TV Tropes
Back to top Go down
T-rex-king
Embryo
Embryo
T-rex-king

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?   T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 9:55 pm

My theory is that they were just as active hunters and scavengers as today's land based predators (lions, tigers, bears oh my...pun intended). Yes they will hunt when necessary but will not pas up a free meal when presented the opportunity.

http://z6.invisionfree.com/RPLegacy/index.php?act=idx
Minmi
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Minmi

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?   T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 2:31 am

I agree, T-Rex was an opportunist. It was quite happy to actively hunt but just as happy to take something that was already dead if the opportunity presented itself. The only problem I see with scavenging is that you don't know how long the animal's been dead. I've heard palaeontologists think that Sue, the largest and most complete T-Rex ever found, died of starvation after contracting a throat infection as a result of eating rotten meat.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?   T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 1:12 pm

There has been more then enough evidence via semi-healed hadrosaur and Triceratops bones that T. rex was predominantly a hunter capable of taking down live prey. True, it did scavenge sometimes, like most large predators do, but T. rex was simply too big to be a full scavenger. It's an iron law in nature that ALL big carnivores have to hunt healthy prey because they are too big to eat corpses.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?   T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Both. I belive in both. To be honest, a lot of carnivores are scavengers when needed.

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?   T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Both. I belive in both. To be honest, a lot of carnivores are scavengers when needed.

But most big carnivores are simply too big to subsist on scavenging all/most of their lives. That's not to say they never do, but it's simply impossible for such a big animal so live on corpses for so long. Only the copperhead is the only snake that scavenges and even then it prefers to hunt. Truth is, the T. rex being mostly a scavenger was based on faulty evidence. When Lawrence Lambe found Albertosaurus remains-which may/may not have been re-categorized as Gorgosaurus-he saw that the teeth had lack or wear which he saw a proof of a scavenger. Now we know that tyrannosaur of all forms shed teeth constantly.
Back to top Go down
tigris115
Hatchling
Hatchling
tigris115

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?   T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Also I feel that saying hunter and scavenger is redundant because all terrestrial predators do so.
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?   T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Both. To sustain itself, most large predators are opportunists. They'll hunt when they can, but will scavenge when it's there.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Lost

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?   T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2017 5:09 pm

I agree with most here. To think that a formidable animal such as t-rex would pass up a kill only because it can't scavenge it is ridicilous. It's equally ridicilous that it would walk past a carcass that provides it with food.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?   T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

T-Rex: Scavenger or active hunter?
Page 1 of 1