Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.

Go down 
+5
CT-1138
TheRexMan22
Amanasaur Rex
dance2nite
Rhedosaurus
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Empty
PostSubject: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 6:33 pm

What a difference 2 years can make. After what happened to him recently, I think it's time us fans begin to think more about Colin Trevorrow.

Personally, I think that he's a nice guy, but that his career was rushed way too fast. This has led me to a conclusion: That Steven Spielberg REALLY directed JW and that Trevorrow was a proxy. Let me explain.

1. We know that Spielberg was far more hands-on with Jurassic World then he was with JP3 and with all the movies that he's been on as Executive Producer.

2. We also know that he acted as Trevorrow's 'coach'.

3. Spielberg likes working with new directors.

4. Being so new, Trevorrow couldn't have had wielded much, if any power, when JW was being made.

Now many of you are wondering this. "Rhedo, doesn't this contradict your sayings here about Spielberg being lazy and that he has to retire?" It's a fair question and I have to say that Jurassic World was a special case. It all goes back to JP3 and Joe Johnston. When JP3 was released the fanbase destroyed Johnston. And while much of it was his fault via him throwing out the original script, much of it was Spielberg's fault for being hands-off and letting the movie get made with a script being made on the fly. My thinking is that he didn't want Trevorrow to suffer the same fate and he made the movie, or at least most of it, himself and let Trevorrow get all the credit. I think that led to Trevorrow's career get pushed WAY too fast.

I also have to ask a question. When I posted that J.J. Abrams would come back to make Star Wars Episode 9, the response was overwhelming negative. I have to ask, would JP fans react the same way if Trevorrow came back to make JP6/JW3?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 6:49 pm

I agree & hope Colin doesn't come back for the sixth film, I'd prefer Bayona again or someone new. If FK is well written & has a good story then I wouldn't mind Colin & Derek doing the script again.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 8:01 pm

dance2nite wrote:
I agree & hope Colin doesn't come back for the sixth film, I'd prefer Bayona again or someone new. If FK is well written & has a good story then I wouldn't mind Colin & Derek doing the script again.

I'm beginning to wonder if that will happen at all. More so considering how many of the old guard weren't fans of JW. And even if Colin and Derek come back, I can see them being demoted to secondary writers while someone else gets the job of being the main writer.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Amanasaur Rex
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 9:05 pm

I think he did what he was meant to do in Jurassic World and that was to get the general public back in to the Jurassic franchise, did he make the perfect movie? no. Did he guarantee 2 more sequels? 80% (I wouldn't say 100% depending upon the next movie).

I think of late people have become increasingly overly harsh on Jurassic World in my opinion. Yes it's got some dialogue issues and I do expect better from the next one but of the 3 sequels it's easily the most re watchable (not saying it better than the Lost World though). I don't mind Colin being the writer as the ideas he brought to Jurassic World made it better in my opinion, i do have a problem with Connolly there though as i feel he doesn't have respect for the original trilogy and the fact that he hadn't even seen the trilogy till he got the job so he clearly lacks passion for the franchise in general.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Amanasaur Rex wrote:
I think he did what he was meant to do in Jurassic World and that was to get the general public back in to the Jurassic franchise, did he make the perfect movie? no. Did he guarantee 2 more sequels? 80% (I wouldn't say 100% depending upon the next movie).

I think of late people have become increasingly overly harsh on Jurassic World in my opinion. Yes it's got some dialogue issues and I do expect better from the next one but of the 3 sequels it's easily the most re watchable (not saying it better than the Lost World though). I don't mind Colin being the writer as the ideas he brought to Jurassic World made it better in my opinion, i do have a problem with Connolly there though as i feel he doesn't have respect for the original trilogy and the fact that he hadn't even seen the trilogy till he got the job so he clearly lacks passion for the franchise in general.

I also remember that Colin seemed to imply that the Sorna movies weren't canon, but he backtracked and outright said that they were and pointed to how the glass-breaking scene as the mobile base was teetering over the edge of cliff as a scene that he liked from TLW.

Back to top Go down
Amanasaur Rex
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Amanasaur Rex wrote:

I also remember that Colin seemed to imply that the Sorna movies weren't canon, but he backtracked and outright said that they were and pointed to how the glass-breaking scene as the mobile base was teetering over the edge of cliff as a scene that he liked from TLW.

I'm not sure that he outright said they weren't canon from memory i think he said something along the lines of the new one wouldn't focus on the 2 sequels and then people started to say they wern't canon from that quote and then he had to clarify that they were canon. From memory that is no 100% on that
Back to top Go down
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 9:49 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
What a difference 2 years can make. After what happened to him recently, I think it's time us fans begin to think more about Colin Trevorrow.

Personally, I think that he's a nice guy, but that his career was rushed way too fast. This has led me to a conclusion: That Steven Spielberg REALLY directed JW and that Trevorrow was a proxy. Let me explain.

1. We know that Spielberg was far more hands-on with Jurassic World then he was with JP3 and with all the movies that he's been on as Executive Producer.

2. We also know that he acted as Trevorrow's 'coach'.

3. Spielberg likes working with new directors.

4. Being so new, Trevorrow couldn't have had wielded much, if any power, when JW was being made.

Now many of you are wondering this. "Rhedo, doesn't this contradict your sayings here about Spielberg being lazy and that he has to retire?" It's a fair question and I have to say that Jurassic World was a special case. It all goes back to JP3 and Joe Johnston. When JP3 was released the fanbase destroyed Johnston. And while much of it was his fault via him throwing out the original script, much of it was Spielberg's fault for being hands-off and letting the movie get made with a script being made on the fly. My thinking is that he didn't want Trevorrow to suffer the same fate and he made the movie, or at least most of it, himself and let Trevorrow get all the credit. I think that led to Trevorrow's career get pushed WAY too fast.

I also have to ask a question. When I posted that J.J. Abrams would come back to make Star Wars Episode 9, the response was overwhelming negative. I have to ask, would JP fans react the same way if Trevorrow came back to make JP6/JW3?
This is starting to make more and more sense. Is it just me, or does JW feel like a Spielberg production?

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 9:56 pm

I feel like JW's legacy can be summed up best through an Ian Malcolm quote:

"...it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it, you wanna sell it."

JW feels like the embodiment of that quote. It took what Spielberg did, and made it bigger, faster, with more teeth, and became something of a spoof of itself that took itself too seriously. The problem I have with JW is the same one I have with TFA and that is that it's safe. It plays it safe, and the boldest part of JW is also one of the most controversial parts, and that's the hybrid. Otherwise, it took what was proven and just did it on a bigger scale. CEO arrives at theme park island full of dinosaurs (and on Isla Nublar no less, like they couldn't have picked ANY other island in the world), and has inspection of big dinosaur attraction, which breaks loose and attacks main tour vehicle, stranding the two kids in the middle of the jungle and they're forced to trek back to the main compound while occasionally coming across the big bad theropod dinosaur. Ending involves bug dino fight which also involves T. rex and Raptors.

It's a very safe, proven formula. TLW and JP/// use a similar formula of "opening attack leads to investigation of island where big bad theropod strands and chases characters across the island." It's formulaic and truth be told whenever JW diverts from the formula is when it's at its strongest. No rain scene was bold and worked for the movie, for example. The main dino escape and attacks happening in broad daylight were bold and worked for the movie. But the broader story has been told, and it's been done to death. I can honestly see why Trevorrow desperately wants to get away from the island formula. It's overdone.

As for Trevorrow himself, I've always got something of an anti establishment hipster attitude from him, but I always thought of him as a rather genuine person. I honestly thought his attitude would make him better for SW than JP, but Kathleen Kennedy is pretty much the epitome of the establishment, and honestly not the best person LucasFilm could have been handed off to. And I say that of her as a person, not through my biases of her involvement in what made JP/// such a disaster.

The truth I feel about Trevorrow is this: he's not a fan of Jurassic Park the franchise. He's a fan of Jurassic Park the movie. We're going to see movies based off of that. Yes, Sorna will get its mentions I'm certain, but we will likely not see it ever again in a Jurassic movie, especially as Trevorrow leads us away from the islands. Trevorrow found TLW humorless, and I'm sure he has stronger feelings of JP/// that we're unaware of. Fact is, he doesn't like the sequels. That's why he and Connolly wrote a movie that could circumvent them. Sure, the base was already there from the Jaffa and Silver script, yes the rewrites to the script Trevorrow and Connolly made DID darken the tone, however, we also know that Jaffa and Silver's script would have made further connection between the fourth film and the previous two sequels. The Raptors, for example, would have had quills like the JP/// ones. There also would have been normal JP1 Raptors that weren't part of the Raptor squad. Trevorrow and Connolly took that away and made it all about the first movie.

This is why I don't want him on 6. I don't want another JP movie following basic cliched formulas and tripe. I want smart science fiction like the first movie, I want the tone of the second movie (which Bayona will likely deliver), and I want the JP movies to be A-listers, but B-movies whittled down to a monster movie flick like so many dinosaur movies before JP. Unfortunately, I fear this is all Trevorrow and Connolly have to offer, especially Connolly whose dialogue writing leaves much to be desired.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 11:41 pm

I totally agree. I think many of these directors careers get fucked up because they go from these indie films straight into huge productions with million dollar budgets. I mean Colin made crazy money for universal with JW and it launched him way too fast I believe. It launched him into the stratosphere overnight basically.  I believe he's a nice guy with a good heart and cares about the fans. But I don't think he was ever really qualified to handle JP.

And that goes for any director honestly. I hate how these small guys immediately get put into huge franchises.

But I cannot lie. Colin has made good choices. I have sympathy for him. He obviously wants what's best for fans imo. Example. Hiring Bayona when he could have done it himself easily, and from the sound of it he's letting Bayona have some freedom. He wanted fans to get a different take.

I don't really like Colin as a director but it's a shame what happened to him. I think he's probably a standup guy.

I know I'm flip flopping all over the place here but personally I'd still rather have him on episode 9 over J.J.
Back to top Go down
Amanasaur Rex
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 2:22 am

Troyal1 wrote:
I totally agree. I think many of these directors careers get fucked up because they go from these indie films straight into huge productions with million dollar budgets. I mean Colin made crazy money for universal with JW and it launched him way too fast I believe. It launched him into the stratosphere overnight basically.  I believe he's a nice guy with a good heart and cares about the fans. But I don't think he was ever really qualified to handle JP.

And that goes for any director honestly. I hate how these small guys immediately get put into huge franchises.

But I cannot lie. Colin has made good choices. I have sympathy for him. He obviously wants what's best for fans imo. Example. Hiring Bayona when he could have done it himself easily, and from the sound of it he's letting Bayona have some freedom. He wanted fans to get a different take.

I don't really like Colin as a director but it's a shame what happened to him. I think he's probably a standup guy.

I know I'm flip flopping all over the place here but personally I'd still rather have him on episode 9 over J.J.

Thats why I like him better as a producer because he does have good ideas, but from what I've read it does seam he gave Bayona the freedom to rework the script. Whether Bayona does a better job the Treverrow is something we'll have to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 7:52 am

CT-1138 wrote:

"...it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it, you wanna sell it."

I agree with that. I spoke with Ty about this a few months ago and we both agreed that the last movie that Universal truly cared about was TLW and that it's really too late for them to go back to the franchise with the same level of care. Even more so considering how the Crichton estate gets the rights back after JP6/JW3. At this point, I'm hoping that either Fox or WB gets the rights. I honestly think that as long as Universal owns the rights, then unless they get some really special people, then it's going to remain in limbo/purgatory.

Back to top Go down
Herrerasaurus
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Herrerasaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
CT-1138 wrote:

I agree with that. I spoke with Ty about this a few months ago and we both agreed that the last movie that Universal truly cared about was TLW and that it's really too late for them to go back to the franchise with the same level of care. Even more so considering how the Crichton estate gets the rights back after JP6/JW3. At this point, I'm hoping that either Fox or WB gets the rights. I honestly think that as long as Universal owns the rights, then unless they get some really special people, then it's going to remain in limbo/purgatory.
I honestly hope we don't get any more movies after jw 3. There's only so much you can do with these movies. As for the whole Steven Spielberg situation, we have to remember that these are all theories. We do not have any substantial evidence to prove that he in fact was very involved with the production of jw. If anything in one of the interviews he said he left early because he felt colin had things under control. For Jw3 i would like Bayona or some new director to tackle it. Like others have mentioned Colin does have some good ideas so i would like him to still be involved.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Herrerasaurus wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
CT-1138 wrote:

I honestly hope we don't get any more movies after jw 3. There's only so much you can do with these movies. As for the whole Steven Spielberg situation, we have to remember that these are all theories. We do not have any substantial evidence to prove that he in fact was very involved with the production of jw. If anything in one of the interviews he said he left early because he felt colin had things under control. For Jw3 i would like Bayona or some new director to tackle it. Like others have mentioned Colin does have some good ideas so i would like him to still be involved.

I actually do hope we get more, but only if another studio gets the rights and the movies tie the two trilogies together.

We actually do have evidence that Spielberg WAS involved quite a bit. Trevorrow said the following to ScreenRant via interview.

Quote. wrote:
Well, I think part of that is because Steven has final cut of the movie. I answer to him for sure and through the screenwriting process, the story development process, we were very closely involved. And yet his notes are never, “Go write a scene that has this in it.” It’s always, “I don’t think this is as good as it can be,” “I don’t think this is working right, find a different way to do this that accomplishes this,” and because he’s a writer he knows how to communicate with other creatives in a way that is empowering and doesn’t feel like you’re just being told what to do. I certainly never felt controlled by anyone over this whole process, I felt supported.

It sounds like he was far more hands on with this movie then he was any other movie as Executive Producer to me.

Back to top Go down
Herrerasaurus
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Herrerasaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Herrerasaurus wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
CT-1138 wrote:

I actually do hope we get more, but only if another studio gets the rights and the movies tie the two trilogies together.

We actually do have evidence that Spielberg WAS involved quite a bit. Trevorrow said the following to ScreenRant via interview.

Quote. wrote:
Well, I think part of that is because Steven has final cut of the movie. I answer to him for sure and through the screenwriting process, the story development process, we were very closely involved. And yet his notes are never, “Go write a scene that has this in it.” It’s always, “I don’t think this is as good as it can be,” “I don’t think this is working right, find a different way to do this that accomplishes this,” and because he’s a writer he knows how to communicate with other creatives in a way that is empowering and doesn’t feel like you’re just being told what to do. I certainly never felt controlled by anyone over this whole process, I felt supported.

It sounds like he was far more hands on with this movie then he was any other movie as Executive Producer to me.
yea but the key here is that he said he was supported not controlled.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Herrerasaurus wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Herrerasaurus wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
CT-1138 wrote:

Quote. wrote:

Well, he just couldn't outright say it. Even today, he can't say it. Not with this current movie coming out next year.

Back to top Go down
Herrerasaurus
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Herrerasaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 3:19 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Herrerasaurus wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Herrerasaurus wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
CT-1138 wrote:

Quote. wrote:

Well, he just couldn't outright say it. Even today, he can't say it. Not with this current movie coming out next year.
For me that is still a theory. I could be wrong but i would need to see some heavy evidence.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 7:23 am

Herrerasaurus wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Herrerasaurus wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Herrerasaurus wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
CT-1138 wrote:

Quote. wrote:

For me that is still a theory. I could be wrong but i would need to see some heavy evidence.

This is the closest that you'll get to that. Universal won't show it unless somebody who's an employee leaks it on Reddit/4Chan.

Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Why would Spielberg not take the credit if he did? What would be the point?
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Why would Spielberg not take the credit if he did? What would be the point?

I answered most of that here. Also, Spielberg likes working with new directors.

Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2017 6:50 am

Colin Trevorrow is without a doubt a nice, humble and diplomatic person.

To me he is not the problem at all but rather Universal in general. They just give way too strong of a vibe that all they know (or believe) about this franchise is that fans are nostalgic about the original and do not care at all about the other 2 sequels and can make money off that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.   Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jurassic World and Colin Trevorrow in hindsight.
Page 1 of 1