Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

General Movie Discussion

Go down 
+34
Scott B
Sickle_Claw
Dead2009
Rhedosaurus
jericho
Oshronosaurus
Bbrink1996
Levine
TheRexMan22
Spinosaur4.4
Dr. Wu
Tyrant Lizard
HennexForest
DeiXnonychus
Océane
Megaspino2
Aegyptiacus3
V.a.nublarensis
Island Queen
TRK/TrexKing
tigris115
MissDNA
smaugtheterrible
dance2nite
owenpratt
TorQue
TheDreamMaster
JPMalcolmDilo
CT-1138
Mysterious Hero M
GwrChurchward
evolution_rex
Darth Spidey
BobGrill
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
The sequels for Avatar got delayed.

*Troyal1 sighs

(But not a complete sigh of shock or surprise)

I'm actually a little surprised. Given how Tom Rothman isn't at Fox anymore, one would have thought that we would have seen at least one Avatar sequel by now. Even more so considering how famous James Cameron is.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 11:54 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

The Jurassic Sequel may now have a good chance of becoming the highest grossing film of 2018 with Avatar 2 out of the picture, cannot see anything else possibly out grossing it besides Infinity War? scratch
Back to top Go down
Aegyptiacus3
Hatchling
Hatchling
Aegyptiacus3

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 2:27 am

dance2nite wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

The Jurassic Sequel may now have a good chance of becoming the highest grossing film of 2018 with Avatar 2 out of the picture, cannot see anything else possibly out grossing it besides Infinity War? scratch

I wouldn't underestimate Toy Story 4, Incredibles 2 or the Han Solo Anthology movie.

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 8:25 am

Aegyptiacus3 wrote:
dance2nite wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I wouldn't underestimate Toy Story 4, Incredibles 2 or the Han Solo Anthology movie.

Toy Story 4 has been delayed to 2019
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 10:21 am

Aegyptiacus3 wrote:
dance2nite wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Disney remains the fiercest competition on the block for Universal. The Incredibles 2 and certainly Avengers: Infinity War will certainly be among the biggest attractions for the summer, and very likely to be excellent. For some reason, I don't know if the Han Solo movie will be all that successful, it could be really good but I think it will get lost in the shuffle. Yes Rogue One made over a billion dollars, but that had much less competition to worry about. The marketing for the Jurassic sequel will need to be extremely smart and careful, appearing enticing to a wide audience but suspenseful and hopefully indicative of a quality film, but its chances of doing $1.6 billion are not that substantial, but unless it keeps doing repeat business all throughout the summer.

1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 10:43 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Aegyptiacus3 wrote:
dance2nite wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Disney remains the fiercest competition on the block for Universal. The Incredibles 2 and certainly Avengers: Infinity War will certainly be among the biggest attractions for the summer, and very likely to be excellent. For some reason, I don't know if the Han Solo movie will be all that successful, it could be really good but I think it will get lost in the shuffle. Yes Rogue One made over a billion dollars, but that had much less competition to worry about. The marketing for the Jurassic sequel will need to be extremely smart and careful, appearing enticing to a wide audience but suspenseful and hopefully indicative of a quality film, but its chances of doing $1.6 billion are not that substantial, but unless it keeps doing repeat business all throughout the summer.

I don't think many people are expecting JW2/JP5 to make as much as JW. I say around $1.2-$1.4 billion. But then again, nobody, including the most optimistic JP fan expected JW to make as much as it did. As for the 2018 lineup. This does seem to be a Disney vs. Universal race like it was back in 2015. Given how we don't have an Avatar sequel yet (which is amazing) Fox might be on the outside looking in, though not as much as the last time via the Fant4stic trainwreck. As for WB, who knows about them via the DCMU. If their plans weren't such a mess, they'd be a player in 2018, but now...yeah. As for Sony, that one Barbie movie's gonna bomb.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 3:03 pm

The Disaster Artist finally premiers tomorrow at South by Southwest. Can't wait for the wider release, this is easily #1 film I've been looking forward to ever since it was announced. I haven't actually read the book yet, because I've been trying to get my hands into the audiobook narrated by Greg Sestero himself (it's supposed to be amazing and I fully believe it from the clips I've heard). Anyway a film about The Room is just so delicious prospect that I can't wait for it. I don't even care what the reviews will say, or that James Franco is anchoring it, this will be a must watch.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Here's our first look at the Woody Woodpecker movie.

I don't think it will come to America since there's been no word on it's release here.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 5:46 pm

"a CGI-Live Action hybrid Ala Alvin and the Chipmunks"

Great.... I mean, seriously, is Universal that desperate for some loose change?? Its just as well that there is no US release, because I can't see anyone paying money too see this. I'm only assuming it's a Universal release because Woody the Woodpecker was created from animators from the studio, unless I'm mistaken.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 5:55 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
"a CGI-Live Action hybrid Ala Alvin and the Chipmunks"

Great.... I mean, seriously, is Universal that desperate for some loose change?? Its just as well that there is no US release, because I can't see anyone paying money too see this. I'm only assuming it's a Universal release because Woody the Woodpecker was created from animators from the studio, unless I'm mistaken.

What I found to be the most amazing was that Scott McNeil-the voice of Dinobot from Beast Wars and long time voice actor in general-contributed to this.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

What I found to be the most amazing was that Scott McNeil-the voice of Dinobot from Beast Wars and long time voice actor in general-contributed to this.

Sadly for all of us, these talented voice actors are thrown away in these crappy disposable animated films. Best stick to television to find their best work.

BTW, I LOVED Beast Wars as a kid, and after watching the whole show it's pretty tight! The CGI animation is obviously dated as hell, but the writing holds up magnificently. If it was given an HD re-skinning with the most basic of modern CGI animation tools, far above what they had in the 90s, it would probably be a modern day classic rather than this overlooked part of the Transformers history. For that reason among others, it's my favourite Transformers series.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 6:21 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Sadly for all of us, these talented voice actors are thrown away in these crappy disposable animated films. Best stick to television to find their best work.

BTW, I LOVED Beast Wars as a kid, and after watching the whole show it's pretty tight! The CGI animation is obviously dated as hell, but the writing holds up magnificently. If it was given an HD re-skinning with the most basic of modern CGI animation tools, far above what they had in the 90s, it would probably be a modern day classic rather than this overlooked part of the Transformers history. For that reason among others, it's my favourite Transformers series.

To be fair, he has been in far better roles and I'm sure he'll find better jobs.

You'd actually be surprised how popular Beast Wars still is after all this time. To this day, it's still being looked as the best Transformers show ever made. It's not overlooked at all. If anything, Transformers fans love it just as much, if not slightly more so. I think the Michael Bay Transformers movies are the main reason for that. I guess that's undeniably the best thing those movies did.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 3:00 pm

I can't believe I only now years later realized that "Manny" from Scarface is the same guy who played "Don Eladio" in Breaking Bad. Wow. Only recognized by the way he smiles.

Given his profile, I'm actually quite surprised he never showed up in Miami Vice. Oh well. Push it to the limit.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 4:11 pm

How Get Out Made Me Afraid of White People
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/horror/features/824921-how-get-out-made-me-afraid-of-white-people#X6p8Kkqo2hzl1Pqg.99

I'm amazed at how people can allow sh*t like this to be published, especially on a movie site that everyone frequents.

Back to top Go down
Megaspino2
Megaspino2

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 8:53 pm

The author's choice of words used throughout his "review"(?) of the movie shows that this is more of a political statement than anything. Why does everything in movies today (or at least the ones Hollywood deems "relevant") have to involve some kind of political statement? I get that the filmmaker is trying to use race as a tool of horror or suspense, but the last thing this world needs right now is more irrational fear of others of a different race/ethnicity.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Megaspino2 wrote:
The author's choice of words used throughout his "review"(?) of the movie shows that this is more of a political statement than anything. Why does everything in movies today (or at least the ones Hollywood deems "relevant") have to involve some kind of political statement? I get that the filmmaker is trying to use race as a tool of horror or suspense, but the last thing this world needs right now is more irrational fear of others of a different race/ethnicity.

If they keep up with this then it's only going to give Trump a second term. Not only that, but many Americans are really getting sick of life getting politicized. Hollywood really risking a major backlash.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 7:34 pm

The reboot of 'The Girl In The Spider's Web will come out in October 5, 2018. The leading actress will either be Scarlett Johansson or Natalie Portman.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 7:23 am

WB is going to reboot 'The Matrix'.

If you don't count superhero movies, Transformers, and Star Wars, then 2017 might be a worse year for Hollywood as a whole then 2016 was.

Back to top Go down
Megaspino2
Megaspino2

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 7:38 am

I personally don't think it's the movies themselves that are causing these losses but rather the rise of the digital movie market and the outlandish price of a movie ticket. Theaters in new york city average something like 30 dollars a ticket. That's very expensive for a one time viewing of a movie; that isn't without factoring the cost of snacks and beverages that one might buy.

Not only is it expensive it's a whole lot cheaper to watch it on Netflix, pick up the movie on DVD once it goes on sale or even buy the DVD cheaply from ebay. The novelty of seeing a movie was always the size of the screen and sound and ambiance, but now people have large TVs in their homes and some even have quality sound systems essentially rendering movie theaters obsolete.

Hollywood flourished long ago because the theaters were cheap, it was a common cultural hangout/date night, and people had small picturetubes which had terrible quality.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 7:46 am

With all the news regarding Disney's massive fiscal successes last year, all the while I kept thinking... there must be a cost to this. And of course there was, specifically all the other studios losing out to various degrees. When you look back at the 70s and 80s, Disney was at the bottom end of the roster among the major film studios. Then they really started to come into their own in the 90s by diversifying beyond animation and family films (via Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures). The 90s and early 2000s saw a good balance between the main studios, but the 2010s have become almost exclusively Disney's.

To me the ones that really indicate "bomb" are the Power Rangers movie, the King Arthur movie and The Mummy reboot. The latter is particularly egregious because the 1999 remake is still looming large in most people's memories. Pirates and Transformers, I predict will break even but not be the $1 billion dollar hits that they are half the time, and personally TF should not be there. The Alien and Apes movies might fare a lot better, with established fan bases and (likely) strong word of mouth.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 10:08 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
With all the news regarding Disney's massive fiscal successes last year, all the while I kept thinking... there must be a cost to this. And of course there was, specifically all the other studios losing out to various degrees. When you look back at the 70s and 80s, Disney was at the bottom end of the roster among the major film studios. Then they really started to come into their own in the 90s by diversifying beyond animation and family films (via Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures). The 90s and early 2000s saw a good balance between the main studios, but the 2010s have become almost exclusively Disney's.

To me the ones that really indicate "bomb" are the Power Rangers movie, the King Arthur movie and The Mummy reboot. The latter is particularly egregious because the 1999 remake is still looming large in most people's memories. Pirates and Transformers, I predict will break even but not be the $1 billion dollar hits that they are half the time, and personally TF should not be there. The Alien and Apes movies might fare a lot better, with established fan bases and (likely) strong word of mouth.

I always thought that Disney, with the exception of 1993 (Jurassic Park) and 1997 (The Lost World) basically dominated the 1990's, with most of the other studios playing catch up. To be fair, this is all based from my childhood so I could very well be wrong.

As for the slump, I think we should also add in all these political statements made by Hollywood. As I said before, people are getting sick of Hollywood making everything political and making political statements. And it's only going to get worse.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Megaspino2 wrote:
I personally don't think it's the movies themselves that are causing these losses but rather the rise of the digital movie market and the outlandish price of a movie ticket. Theaters in new york city average something like 30 dollars a ticket. That's very expensive for a one time viewing of a movie; that isn't without factoring the cost of snacks and beverages that one might buy.

Not only is it expensive it's a whole lot cheaper to watch it on Netflix, pick up the movie on DVD once it goes on sale or even buy the DVD cheaply from ebay. The novelty of seeing a movie was always the size of the screen and sound and ambiance, but now people have large TVs in their homes and some even have quality sound systems essentially rendering movie theaters obsolete.

Hollywood flourished long ago because the theaters were cheap, it was a common cultural hangout/date night, and people had small picturetubes which had terrible quality.

What theatre are you going to that's selling standard movie tickets for 30 bucks?

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 2:13 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:

I always thought that Disney, with the exception of 1993 (Jurassic Park) and 1997 (The Lost World) basically dominated the 1990's, with most of the other studios playing catch up. To be fair, this is all based from my childhood so I could very well be wrong.

When it came to animation, Disney were at the top of the game, with 2D and the newly pioneered 3D animation houses to boast. It certainly seemed that every time there was a new Disney animated feature, that was the event film of the year. There was the occasional masterpiece from another studio like The Prince of Egypt from DreamWorks and The Iron Giant from Warner Bros to garner critical praise, but often even charming animated films tended to get lost in the shuffle like Balto, or were a result of trying to copy too much of the Disney formula like Anastasia, or worse Quest for Camelot.

From a live action standpoint, each of the main studios had at least one event film to provide strong competition. WB had The Matrix, Robin Hood and the critically inconsistent Batman franchise. Paramount had a consistent streak of success with standalone films like Forrest Gump and franchise films such as Star Trek. Columbia and TriStar had Men in Black, The Fifth Element and Jumanji. And Fox had Titanic (shared with Paramount in the USA), Independence Day and The Phantom Menace. Which obviously leaves Universal with their original golden goose Jurassic Park and The Lost World, with arguably Apollo 13 and The Mummy being the next most successful after them.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 5:52 pm

The trailer for Life, Sony's killer alien movie, has footage from Spider-Man 3 in it.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 5:59 pm

When I saw that footage from Spider-Man 3, any curiosity I had for the film dropped. If Sony are really so cheap as to splice footage from a movie that most people have seen or at least a passing awareness of, then the new film in question may not have much hope.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Meh it's not as bad as Star Trek films using same exact shots (and poorly masqueraded same sets) from the previous Star Trek films. Rick Berman got lazy.
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 6:23 pm

Just got out of the new Kong movie. I really enjoyed it, a lot more than I thought I would, even. I liked the pacing, and the action. It was just the perfect length, accomplished to set out what it was supposed to do, and didn't overstay its welcome. Also, it was apparently 'bring your retired dad to the movies' day or something. There was three other father/offspring couples in the auditorium. My Dad and I always enjoyed a good creature feature, and this is one hell of a monster mash.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Exactly one year ago today, a Reddit user named Stantz1984 leaked the entire plot of the failed all-female Ghostbusters reboot, GB2016.

Thank you Stantz1984. Wherever you are, thank you.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Suffice it to say, GH2016 was a hideous SJW propaganda balloon that needed popping soon, and that leak certainly did its job in spilling the beans before Sony could sucker more people in.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   1 - General Movie Discussion - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Movie Discussion
Page 10 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22 ... 34  Next