Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

JPLegacy Memorial Thread

Go down 
+46
Cha0ticArch0saur
RolandEden
Mysterious Hero M
Nublar7
Hellothasaurus
smaugtheterrible
Spiegel
Levine
Monolophosaurus
evolution_rex
Lord Kristine
Clonehunter
jpsacu
Prowler
Carcharodontosaurus
JVM
Megaspino2
MissDNA
Theta Rex
CloneTrooper101
BarrytheOnyx
Baryonyx111
Rex Prime
Nedryland
Lost
Raptor_Guard999
Océane
urban ratite
Katana
TRK/TrexKing
Paleoman
Metal Gear Rex
Tarbtano
Troyal1
Pugpunasaurus
Crimsonraptor
Rhedosaurus
Dead2009
GwrChurchward
Sickle_Claw
TheRexMan22
CT-1138
Dr. Wu
Spinosaur4.4
TheDreamMaster
Pokesaurus
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 2:58 pm

Yeah, I have to be honest I don't like your guys' usage the JPL name. I think it's great that you guys are trying to make a new site and you have my full support on that. You can get away with it legally because any trademarks or copyrights belong to Universal and Ty truly did not own any of it, and the domain name is up for grabs, but it does come off as kind of disrespectful. JPL has a fanbase, and while you say it's to keep the memories alive, it feels like you're just taking advantage of the notoriety of it's name.

http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Why not "Jurassic Legacy"?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
Why not "Jurassic Legacy"?
Or "Jurassic Park Legacy's Legacy"...

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 5:09 pm

Nublar7 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:

Short version: Some people just want JPL back, and 5 of them are trying to bring it back. It's currently got a Twitter, and eventually they want to make a website and a forum .While they may be members here, this project is not affiliated with us, and the Portal will stay regardless of what happens. I think that sums it up. Very Happy  
6 core people but also receiving help from others. All good people who only want to try and restore the good memories and feels of JPL. Will it be exactly the same? No, that's impossible, the old version is gone. Rebuilt from scratch with similar elements(one element that has already been mentioned in this thread) and some new things. We already have a couple of exciting new ideas in the pipeline.

The rest of the group will be unveiled at a later point, but I feel we have a tremendous team capable of honoring the old JPL in the right way. If we fail it is on us and will never take away from what the original JPL had going for it. Our attitude from day one was to create a place for the fans by the fans. We have no intention to compete or back stab or anything else like that, we only want to coexist and continue to add new things for Jurassic fans. The Jurassic community as a whole is the most important thing to us, there won't be any walls on our sides. In fact we will constantly promote other sites like this one and hope that there could be fun future crossover projects to continue to only strengthen this community. We have no desire to be #1 or anything like that, we only want to exist.

@Nublar7 I'm not against you and others reviving JPL, or at least keeping it's spirit alive but I have to ask.

Isn't it far too soon for a revival? Wouldn't it be better off for you to have waited until 2016 was over and all the sadness from the shut down was gone/massively reduced? With all due respect, it feels...tacky to revive a site that has been shut down for a little over a month. Not only that, but by looking at the negative responses, I really think that a lot of this wouldn't have been as bad then as it is now.

I'm not as against this like a lot of the old members are, since I wanted Ty to sell off the old site. (In fairness, I don't blame him for not doing so like a few members here do.) It's just that I think you and the other staff members were so focused on reviving JPL that you failed to see the larger picture and didn't see what the fanbase here, not to mention those who went to other sites, would think about reviving it so soon.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Nublar7 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:

Short version: Some people just want JPL back, and 5 of them are trying to bring it back. It's currently got a Twitter, and eventually they want to make a website and a forum .While they may be members here, this project is not affiliated with us, and the Portal will stay regardless of what happens. I think that sums it up. Very Happy  

6 core people but also receiving help from others. All good people who only want to try and restore the good memories and feels of JPL. Will it be exactly the same? No, that's impossible, the old version is gone. Rebuilt from scratch with similar elements(one element that has already been mentioned in this thread) and some new things. We already have a couple of exciting new ideas in the pipeline.

The rest of the group will be unveiled at a later point, but I feel we have a tremendous team capable of honoring the old JPL in the right way. If we fail it is on us and will never take away from what the original JPL had going for it. Our attitude from day one was to create a place for the fans by the fans. We have no intention to compete or back stab or anything else like that, we only want to coexist and continue to add new things for Jurassic fans. The Jurassic community as a whole is the most important thing to us, there won't be any walls on our sides. In fact we will constantly promote other sites like this one and hope that there could be fun future crossover projects to continue to only strengthen this community. We have no desire to be #1 or anything like that, we only want to exist.

Sooooo why cant the good memories be restored on here? I dont understand what reviving a site with the old name accomplishes to be honest. That was the entire point of this site's existence. To me, people never gave this place a chance because they never wanted to move on after the original JPL closed and IMO it'll never be the same.

Back to top Go down
Theta Rex
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Theta Rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 7:09 pm

I'm gonna have to agree, for the time being, about the... pointlessness (for lack of a better term) of a new site. We have this place right now and even here our situation isn't exactly well-grounded, so how's making a different site going to help? You're just gonna make this even harder to deal with than it already is.

Veteran
Veteran
Nedryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Using JPL' name cheap and disrespectful and it looks rather embarrassing that a few members here and there have taking it upon themselves to be the chosen few to resurrect a site that they didn't own in the first place and also had a very good and respectable send off.

Using the Twitter handle is bad enough but to be planning a site under the JPLegacy name? Come on guys. You're basically leaching off of JPL's former glory. Do you think any of us wanted JPL to go down? No, we didn't. We could have quite easily called this place JPL but we didn't, because it wasn't right and it never will be.

As has been said, you're well within your rights to make a JP site but why be cheap and quite frankly petty enough to call it JPL? Even so, why can't you just try and put all your ideas to good use here? Why is this place such a problem, especially in regard to creating something new from scratch?

Back to top Go down
Monolophosaurus
Embryo
Embryo
Monolophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Ugh, everybody is splitting off. Everything was better when JPLegacy was around and the fanbase basically only existed there. Any other sites were either irrelevant or had the same members as JPLegacy. Now there is like 47 fansites, since JPLegacy was deaded, and none of them satisfy me, not even this one.

This is really quite a pickle.

"Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 8:21 pm

Which is why this new JPL is just gonna divvy things up more. It'll just drive yet another wedge in this block of a fandom (sh*t metaphor but whatever).
Back to top Go down
Monolophosaurus
Embryo
Embryo
Monolophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
Which is why this new JPL is just gonna divvy things up more. It'll just drive yet another wedge in this block of a fandom (sh*t metaphor but whatever).

Yes. Only if this one is as great as JPLegacy will it satisfy me, which probably won't happen. Regardless, it won't win over the entire community and it seems as though it will just split us off even more.

"Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."
Back to top Go down
Spiegel
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 8:32 pm

If all those members came back to a site with same or similar name, especially if they knew it was founded by the other members it might mean something again and draw them back there. I mean, dont get me wrong, I see no problem with doing it here but if they choose not to,what are you can you do? I'm just saying there could be some good things that come from using the name... but I do understand everyone's reservations.

Honestly I think the issue with so many fansites comes down to the fact that there was way more internal division than was ever imagined. Hell, you saw in our little tiff RL. Different opinions about situations, the site, or certain people. Opinions that werent expressed before are just coming to a head, that ol' ban hammer kept people quite. At least thats my take on all of this.

Finally, in my opinion over the use of the name:

Use it. JPL wasn;t just about the site name or about who ran it. It was the community, effort, and the work. In the end if JPL was handed over would we have gone with a name change? Just a thought, or would we continue it as JPL? My point is just that its really not about the name to me, though I think it could help reunite members, but about the people.

Lord Kristine
Veteran
Veteran
Lord Kristine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 9:10 pm

The new JPL will have really interesting features, though.

Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Lord Kristine wrote:
Can you address the criticisms stated about using JPL's name please?

Theta Rex
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Theta Rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 10:14 pm

If this new JPL has some wonderful feature that solves all our current problems, gets everybody to come to a common consensus, drags in significantly more of our old members, makes this whole forum redundant and faxes a clearly-worded letter to everybody scattered about the fandom wondering what the hell to do anymore, then you might be on to something.

Until then, I remain highly skeptical.

Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 10:52 pm

I'm just sitting here hoping we can all come together no matter what site it's on.
Back to top Go down
smaugtheterrible
Hatchling
Hatchling
smaugtheterrible

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 11:38 pm

1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 <a href=1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 186g6r

I'm still not quite sure what to think about using JPL's name, though... it might attract people familiar with the name, but it's not really JPL. And for some people, a site that isn't JPL might be more attractive anyway, especially if they had gotten stuck in the middle of drama at some point. What's so bad about just making something new and different (with the possibility of eventually bringing back some things like the encyclopedia)? The idea of building something new during the downtime until JW2 sounds like an interesting way to keep busy... with the proper motivation.

Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 11:58 pm

That brings up a good point. Not only is it disrespectful to the old site, but you might not be able to gain the membership as you think might get. JPL was pretty infamous, people complained about it everywhere online. So if they see the name, they're going to associate it with their hate.

Choosing a new name is really the best option, I see no reason to use JPL.

Lord Kristine
Veteran
Veteran
Lord Kristine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:20 am

evolution_rex wrote:
Lord Kristine wrote:
Can you address the criticisms stated about using JPL's name please?

Yeah. I think naming it something like Jurassic Legacy would be cheap, like we're a knockoff. As is, we have Ty's blessing, so if he's okay with us taking on the name, I am. It's not something I take lightly.

PS: We originally considered another name. If this is really an issue, perhaps we ought to run a poll then take it up with Josh.
PPS: I originally pitched the name Stegoceraland.

Last edited by Lord Kristine on Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Theta Rex
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Theta Rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:22 am

You can call it JPL, make it look identical to the old site, anything and everything, and it won't be JPL in anything but name, if even that.

JPL was. It isn't anymore. It won't be again. No matter how much you wish it so.

Veteran
Veteran
Lord Kristine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:24 am

Theta Rex wrote:
You can call it JPL, make it look identical to the old site, anything and everything, and it won't be JPL in anything but name, if even that.

JPL was. It isn't anymore. It won't be again. No matter how much you wish it so.

It's going to be very different from the original layout. Very.

Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:32 am

I dont see how its disrespectful if the idea is to honor the good deeds of JPL and reunite the community. I sort of get where everyone is coming from if its the exact same name and maybe a slight variation would be good.

Also, JPL was about the community. It wasnt about a nice lay out and it wasn't about the name. However, the one thing the name does do is serve as a beacon to the 11,000 registered members at the time of closing that we're reuniting. Yes, I know JPP is intended to do that but right now we have 275 members of the 11,000. Thats 1/40th. If a name and pretty page bring them back than good.

This reminds me of American Politics right now. Liberals and Conservatives, though its hard to flesh out who's who. So who is Trump and who is Hillary? Anyone want the role of uncle Bernie?

evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:59 am

It is disrespectful if you didn't get Ty's permission, then that's better. I still comes off like you're trying to make your website popular by using an older site's name, but being given permission is like being given ownership, so that isn't really an issue. I guess I'm fine with it. However, I still think the infamy of the name is worth considering.

Nublar7
Embryo
Embryo
Nublar7

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:23 am

evolution_rex wrote:
It is disrespectful if you didn't get Ty's permission
We did.

Just give us a chance, we are doing it with heart and soul and the absolute best intentions.

Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:54 am

So if it's not going to be JPL in any way besides the name then what's the point. Why not instead of going "MUH SITE" try to help out here and make this place better.

Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 2:58 am

Nublar7 wrote:
evolution_rex wrote:
It is disrespectful if you didn't get Ty's permission
We did.

Just give us a chance, we are doing it with heart and soul and the absolute best intentions.
You obviously didn't bother to read the rest of my post.

Nedryland
Veteran
Veteran
Nedryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 5:01 am

Mysterious Hero M wrote:
So if it's not going to be JPL in any way besides the name then what's the point. Why not instead of going "MUH SITE" try to help out here and make this place better.

They're using the JPL name for marketing purposes, that was pretty much confirmed to me by someone anyway. They want to ride the wave of JPL's popularity instead of working with anyone else here. The fact they have Ty's blessing doesn't mean anything, Ty doesn't give a crap lol like really doesn't give a crap. He walked away and he really doesn't give a crap.

The fact that they are using the name only with regard to a brand new site is even cheaper and ridiculous than a total carbon copy. Really guys, if you actually respect the JPL name and what JPL brought to the JP community you would actually respect it's end.

Back to top Go down
Lord Kristine
Veteran
Veteran
Lord Kristine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 10:22 am

Okay, when I said marketing, what I meant was that we want to be honest about this being JPL 2. NOT draw in crowds. Understand?

Just to clarify: JPL 2 is what Mewtwo is to Mew. It is our Thorn Valley, also.

Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Theta Rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:11 am

That comparison implies you're trying to copy the website and improve on it in every way.

I don't have to explain why that's an unbelievably lofty order right there.

Veteran
Veteran
Lord Kristine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:15 am

Theta Rex wrote:
That comparison implies you're trying to copy the website and improve on it in every way.

I don't have to explain why that's an unbelievably lofty order right there.

Well, the redesign is pretty magical, let me tell you.

Veteran
Veteran
Nedryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:19 am

1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Post-61252-shaq-laughing-gif-imgur-tumblr-nBdv

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   1 - JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JPLegacy Memorial Thread
Page 8 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next