Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Horror Movie Thread

Go down 
+22
Sickle_Claw
Robotpo
doyouthinkhesaurus
V.a.nublarensis
Scott B
Dead2009
TheDreamMaster
Rhedosaurus
TyrantGojira
BarrytheOnyx
TRK/TrexKing
Dr. Wu
Hellothasaurus
Spiegel
Raptor Blue
Oshronosaurus
Lost
JPMalcolmDilo
evolution_rex
Troyal1
CT-1138
Pugpunasaurus
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 8:58 pm

I still think that they will try, or at least seriously consider, a soft reboot/prequel with Claire Redfield as the main character. After all, with all the plot holes it shouldn't be that hard to make a movie that fill in all, if not most of them. We might even see Paul W.S. Anderson gone, or at least his power massively reduced.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
I still think that they will try, or at least seriously consider, a soft reboot/prequel with Claire Redfield as the main character. After all, with all the plot holes it shouldn't be that hard to make a movie that fill in all, if not most of them. We might even see Paul W.S. Anderson gone, or at least his power massively reduced.

I hope not. Please just reboot overall. I know there will always be that guy, "Why complain they're different for the games, just play the games." Well I counter, sometimes, you don't have 8 hours to play through the game again, no matter how much you love it. Plus, sometimes you can take the material, spin it in a new way, and still make it good. They didn't do that with this series. I mean, look at Silent Hill. They did not adapt the game's story nearly at all, but they spun it in a way that I accepted it as an adaption, not a translation of the source material. They also changed the main character, but she had a very similar purpose, and it worked. Less said about the sequel, the better though.

With Alice, there was no connection. She wasn't supposed to be Jill, she just had amnesia, knew how to fight, and go thrust into the main plot of the movie, which was even more far off from the games. However, as a zombie/monster film, it was ok, and the ending teased a larger connection to the games. Problem is, from that point on, the movies became all about Alice. They never took time to really develop the secondary characters, and they rotated them out so easily. It's like they wouldn't allow anyone else to get the spotlight. My favorite example, is in the 4th film. The Axe Man monster shows up, and attacks Claire and Alice. Alice gets knocked away, and Claire actually kicks some ass. Oh, but then, the Axe Man is nearly defeated, and here comes Alice, who slides under him and delivers the final blow. Why couldn't Claire do this, the person who held her own the whole fight? Besides zombies, no one ever gets the final kill, or an actual moment that shows they are capable of surviving, it's all about Alice. Even if they wanted to make that hypothetical Claire spin-off, they couldn't get me to care because she was in 3 of these, and I never made any connection to her.

Ok, rant over. In better news, Robert Englund will be getting into the make-up chair for Freddy one more time. Not for a Nightmare sequel or reboot, but a documentary. Nightmares in the Make-Up Chair
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 11:04 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I hope not. Please just reboot overall. I know there will always be that guy, "Why complain they're different for the games, just play the games." Well I counter, sometimes, you don't have 8 hours to play through the game again, no matter how much you love it. Plus, sometimes you can take the material, spin it in a new way, and still make it good. They didn't do that with this series. I mean, look at Silent Hill. They did not adapt the game's story nearly at all, but they spun it in a way that I accepted it as an adaption, not a translation of the source material. They also changed the main character, but she had a very similar purpose, and it worked. Less said about the sequel, the better though.  

With Alice, there was no connection. She wasn't supposed to be Jill, she just had amnesia, knew how to fight, and go thrust into the main plot of the movie, which was even more far off from the games. However, as a zombie/monster film, it was ok, and the ending teased a larger connection to the games. Problem is, from that point on, the movies became all about Alice. They never took time to really develop the secondary characters, and they rotated them out so easily. It's like they wouldn't allow anyone else to get the spotlight. My favorite example, is in the 4th film. The Axe Man monster shows up, and attacks Claire and Alice. Alice gets knocked away, and Claire actually kicks some ass. Oh, but then, the Axe Man is nearly defeated, and here comes Alice, who slides under him and delivers the final blow. Why couldn't Claire do this, the person who held her own the whole fight? Besides zombies, no one ever gets the final kill, or an actual moment that shows they are capable of surviving, it's all about Alice. Even if they wanted to make that hypothetical Claire spin-off, they couldn't get me to care because she was in 3 of these, and I never made any connection to her.

If they do make a hard reboot and start all over, then it's going to take 7-8 years, possibly 10, before it ever comes out. Mainly because of how they want people to give it a fair chance and how people are willing to give it a fair chance. Kind of like how I was with JW, except with JW taking longer then people thought to make it on theaters. I still think they will try the soft reboot/semi-spinoff prequel with Claire as the lead character instead of Alice first, but based on what you said and the negative reactions about the movie so far, that's going to be a hard sell. I guess it all depends if enough fans are willing to give it a fair shot or if your mindset has become the majority opinion.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 12:49 am

Assuming life doesn't get in the way or something, I can wait that long for a reboot. I mean truth be told, I don't even need more RE movies in my life, I'd just rather have more faithful ones if they continue to make them. Much like the recent RE7 game, I'd like to see a film with more dread and mystery, with action necessary but in the backseat to the horror elements.

Personally my wish list right now is to reboot Silent Hill. If you want to talk retcons,that second SH movie was just as guilty of trying to retcon the first film, so they could make the story of the third game work. It didnt work well there either. That said personally I'd rather see them adapt SH3, or SH4, the two unconnected from the cult storylines.

While on the subject of reboots, I'm not adverse to seeing more when it comes to series I like. There's so much that's been done in fiction, I don't mind a thirteenth Jason film if it does something new. However, that new Jason film coming is on a production schedule of 7 months. I cannot imagine such a rush job will be any good. I'd rather see them give an actual budget to a new Nightmare on Elm Street film, and while I'd like England back, I'd like to see them use the budget creatively. Get someone menacing, but play Freddy up with more traits. Instead of the boiler room every time, show Freddy as a human still enjoyed some normal things like movies, and shift locations around things like that. Throw in a JP reference and let T. Rex Freddy eat someone. Just do more than the previous films did, but keep it out of the realm of comedy.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 pm

The 6th RE movie now has a 38% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Yet it somehow has a 66% audience score.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 10:01 pm

‘Conjuring’ Spinoff,’ The Nun’, Has Found its Director!
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2017 1:33 am

Dead2009 wrote:
‘Conjuring’ Spinoff,’ The Nun’, Has Found its Director!

This spin-off doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Annabelle had some history, fake or not, but the Nun was only a thing in the sequel, and was dealt with. Why spin off that one?
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2017 2:09 pm

According to Box Office Mojo, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter has made $117,451,775.

It's going to triple it's budget like I thought after all. Not only that, but despite bad reviews and word of mouth. It's still in the top 10 movie wise this week.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2017 11:38 pm

The sequel to the 'Friday The 13th' reboot is dead and World War Z 2 has been pulled off the schedule.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 am

As someone who wanted a new Friday the 13th.... hahahaha, so much for that 7 month turn around, eh Paramount?
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 4:28 pm

‘Hellraiser: Judgment’ May Be Getting a Limited Theatrical Release
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 4:52 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
As someone who wanted a new Friday the 13th.... hahahaha, so much for that 7 month turn around, eh Paramount?

If the original movie series (not counting Freddy vs. Jason) wasn't overmilked, then I wouldn't mind a sequel to the reboot since it was different yet still faithful. Besides, with Nightmare on Elm Street getting rebooted-again(!)-and Saw getting another movie-*sigh*-do we really need another slasher-horror movie getting milked to death even more?
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 5:31 pm

It's kinda hard to milk a series when an entry in said series has been done in years.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:

If the original movie series (not counting Freddy vs. Jason) wasn't overmilked, then I wouldn't mind a sequel to the reboot since it was different yet still faithful. Besides, with Nightmare on Elm Street getting rebooted-again(!)-and Saw getting another movie-*sigh*-do we really need another slasher-horror movie getting milked to death even more?

Where do you keep hearing Nightmare is being rebooted? I've heard Halloween and F13 for years now but have heard no talk since the remake flopped back in 2010. There was my post above regarding Englund returning as Freddy for a documentary, but I recall no recent Nightmare news.

Heres the thing with Saw, it needs an ending. I realize this reboot is probably to try and revitalize the franchise, but the previous final Saw film was left on an extremely unsatisfying note. Most the loose ends were tied up, but Hoffman's fate was far from set. They left room for him to escape.

Otherwise I don't really mind if a franchise milked. If it doesn't look good, I won't see it, but it's not really hurting me if others want to see it.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 8:03 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:

Where do you keep hearing Nightmare is being rebooted? I've heard Halloween and F13 for years now but have heard no talk since the remake flopped back in 2010. There was my post above regarding Englund returning as Freddy for a documentary,  but I recall no recent Nightmare news.

Heres the thing with Saw, it needs an ending. I realize this reboot is probably to try and revitalize the franchise, but the previous final Saw film was left on an extremely unsatisfying note. Most the loose ends were tied up, but Hoffman's fate was far from set. They left room for him to escape.

Otherwise I don't really mind if a franchise milked. If it doesn't look good, I won't see it, but it's not really hurting me if others want to see it.

There were talks about it being rebooted not long after the last one failed. The most recent one is this one.

And do people really care about the Saw franchise enough anymore that they want a proper ending? I ask because I can't help but wonder if it can even be profitable with people getting sick and tried of all the negativity nowadays. This isn't like the 80's and 90's where people needed a good scare now and then.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2017 12:09 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:

Where do you keep hearing Nightmare is being rebooted? I've heard Halloween and F13 for years now but have heard no talk since the remake flopped back in 2010. There was my post above regarding Englund returning as Freddy for a documentary,  but I recall no recent Nightmare news.

There were talks about it being rebooted not long after the last one failed. The most recent one is this one.

And do people really care about the Saw franchise enough anymore that they want a proper ending? I ask because I can't help but wonder if it can even be profitable with people getting sick and tried of all the negativity nowadays. This isn't like the 80's and 90's where people needed a good scare now and then.

In terms of the Nightmare reboot, 2010 was a while ago, so I'd discount just about any talks not in the last year. That said, I don't buy too much into the Kevin Bacon article because the article itself says there has been no studio movement recently. I don't think the Nightmare series will be coming back anytime soon.

As for Saw, there will always be people, horror fans and not, wanting to see something like this, a continuation or reboot. Will it make the numbers the studio wants though, even I'm willing to say probably not. It isn't a Star Wars, an Indiana Jones, or Jurassic Park, where a sequel can come out a decade or more later, and the public still remembers it. But the studios are always looking for something familiar, and depending on the franchise, I don't get too upset if they announce another installment. I'll at least wait for a trailer (cause lets be honest, I've heard Halloween was being rebooted again at least 3 times in the last year, and each time a new reason surfaced for it falling through. Supposedly John Carpenter is producing and lending an actual hand in the next one, but actual news on that was 6 months ago, so...), because half the time I don't even believe its coming out, and the rest of the time I just want to see if its going to look any good.

When it comes to Hollywood these days, especially horror films, I tend to try to support the new ideas, like The Babadook, It Follows, Don't Breath, an dso on, because I want new blood in the genre and in Hollywood in general. That said, in this day where there soon may be more Star Wars than Friday the 13th films, I still welcome a new entry, whether a new sequel or a truly new take on the concept (until it sucks anyway). Its not like the 80s and early 90s anymore, and even the recent horror franchises like Saw and Paranormal Activity wrapped up, and nothing has really taken their place as a yearly contender. Maybe Insidious, which part 4 is coming, or The Conjuring, which is getting a part 3, an Annabelle 2 spin-off, and a spin-off featuring The Nun ghost.

As a side note Rhedo, if you are even into reading up on the making of films, the Friday the 13th book crystal Lake Memories is fantastic. They made a documentary out of it a few years ago I haven't seen, its several hours long, but the book itself really gives some insight into how the films were made. It really shows where the highs were, and where the series really began to drop off. There's also some cool stuff like Freddy vs. Jason's production, and how Paramount was trying to get the two together since like 1986, when Freddy only had two or three sequels at the time, and how it was pretty much on and off until New Line finally got the rights, and even then it was still like 6 more years before they found a script that worked.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Danny McBride and David Gordon Green to Script New Halloween Movie

Paramount Exploring the Horrors of Dating Apps With ‘Gasp’

We Will Meet Sally and Franklin’s Father in ‘Leatherface’
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter has now tripled its budget.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter has made slightly over $135.6 dollars.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 5:49 pm

4th Purge movie to arrive in 2018

‘Conjuring’ Spinoff ‘The Nun’ Gets a Friday the 13th Release!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter has made $147.381 million dollars.

There will also be a Resident Evil TV show coming to Netflix.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Full ‘Jeepers Creepers 3’ Cast Includes Adrienne Barbeau!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Resident Evil made $94 million in its opening weekend in China.

That means it's made $238.5 million dollars.

I guess it's possible that we might get a spin-off/prequel series after all.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 10:50 am

Good, the more Resident Evil the better.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 3:40 pm

Second Half of New ‘It’ Adaptation Already Filming This Month?
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Horror Film set in Wizard of Oz universe in development
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/821235-horror-wizard-of-oz#7yz0X5GhaVU5R47W.99
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 3:45 pm

There have been numerous comics horror versions of Oz already, and this "edgy adult" film adaptation trend of famous fairy tales is hardly new. But that's not to say it's a doomed project from the start, it could be decent if they don't fall into cheap tactics. However, whatever they come up with, I bet Return to Oz will still remain as the scariest Oz on screen... and that's not even a horror flick.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 1:53 pm

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 11:05 pm

Robert Englund Talks ‘Wishmaster’; Franchise “Deserved More Respect”

‘Leprechaun’ Franchise Creator Almost Made Hybrid Horror Film ‘Vamprechaun’?!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Robert Englund says that he wanted Ash to win if ‘Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash’ had ever been made.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Horror Movie Thread   The Horror Movie Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Horror Movie Thread
Page 6 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next