Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread

Go down 
+5
Megaspino2
Rhedosaurus
Sickle_Claw
TheDreamMaster
Dead2009
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 7:08 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
So far, Power Rangers has made just $128.6 million dollars. $80.9 million domestically.

A mere 11 million more dollars then last week...That's not good. I don't think it's been released in Japan and China yet, but even so...This is NOT a very good sign. Even if this movie does make a profit, it's only going to be a marginal profit.

At this point, it might be better for fans of the old series like me to accept that this is not going to take off like Lionsgate wanted. It's a shame, because Power Rangers really did have it's heart in the right place as far as a modern update of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is concerned, but boy did the marketing and overly redesigned aesthetic hurt it.

I just think that once people saw how it looked, that it remanded them too much like the trainwreck known as Fant4stic.

Yes, that definitely had more than a part to play in keeping people either wary of the film or just kept them well away. Then again, Fant4stic was more inspired by Chronicle, of which you can see that there was a lot of inspiration from that film put into the look of Power Rangers.

It also didn't help that strong competition from Kong: Skull Island, Beauty and the Beast (especially), and Boss Baby (of all things) really cut down its odds at getting an audience.

But even then, one would have thought that brand appeal would have made up for that in at least some form...Then again, considering how many old fans like myself eventually got sick of how Saban was milking the product when it should have ended when Power Rangers In Space ended, or at least-and more plausibly- should have gone in hibernation for a few years, you could argue that brand name also hurt it just as much.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
So far, Power Rangers has made just $128.6 million dollars. $80.9 million domestically.

A mere 11 million more dollars then last week...That's not good. I don't think it's been released in Japan and China yet, but even so...This is NOT a very good sign. Even if this movie does make a profit, it's only going to be a marginal profit.

At this point, it might be better for fans of the old series like me to accept that this is not going to take off like Lionsgate wanted. It's a shame, because Power Rangers really did have it's heart in the right place as far as a modern update of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is concerned, but boy did the marketing and overly redesigned aesthetic hurt it.

I just think that once people saw how it looked, that it remanded them too much like the trainwreck known as Fant4stic.

Yes, that definitely had more than a part to play in keeping people either wary of the film or just kept them well away. Then again, Fant4stic was more inspired by Chronicle, of which you can see that there was a lot of inspiration from that film put into the look of Power Rangers.

It also didn't help that strong competition from Kong: Skull Island, Beauty and the Beast (especially), and Boss Baby (of all things) really cut down its odds at getting an audience.

But even then, one would have thought that brand appeal would have made up for that in at least some form...Then again, considering how many old fans like myself eventually got sick of how Saban was milking the product when it should have ended when Power Rangers In Space ended, or at least-and more plausibly- should have gone in hibernation for a few years, you could argue that brand name also hurt it just as much.

I can't really agree Rhedo. I get you don't care for what came after, but being on other boards, specifically a couple Ranger forums, there's many people, including those that grew up with MMPR, that find later series to be better. Time Force, Dino Thunder, Ninja Storm, and RPM are all generally well liked, and I can't imagine they'd have ended up the same way if there had been a break and the franchise had been picked up later.

Personally, I think lack of good marketing (I saw tons of commercials for the film myself, but I also have kids and end up watching a lot of Nick and Cartoon Network, despite the fact I do watch some cartoons myself, like Regular Show and, well, Power Rangers when it comes on Nick.) toward adults, coupled with the general stigma of it being a kids franchise hurt the film. I mean, unless we're talking about toys which some kids grow out of, I rarely heard "You still like Transformers? That's for babies" when I was a kid, but when the big Bay films came out, they made huge amounts of cash, despite lacking in quality. Meanwhile, I remember times like in 6th grade, and kids being like "You like Power Rangers still? that show is for babies!", and I'm willing to say that may have carried over to adults. I oddly find Power Rangers one of the few shows where nostalgia isn't so rampant. I fully admit I get nostalgic for it, but I don't see it nearly as much as a lot of other things from the 80's and 90's.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I can't really agree Rhedo. I get you don't care for what came after, but being on other boards, specifically a couple Ranger forums, there's many people, including those that grew up with MMPR, that find later series to be better. Time Force, Dino Thunder, Ninja Storm, and RPM are all generally well liked, and I can't imagine they'd have ended up the same way if there had been a break and the franchise had been picked up later.

Personally, I think lack of good marketing (I saw tons of commercials for the film myself, but I also have kids and end up watching a lot of Nick and Cartoon Network, despite the fact I do watch some cartoons myself, like Regular Show and, well, Power Rangers when it comes on Nick.) toward adults, coupled with the general stigma of it being a kids franchise hurt the film. I mean, unless we're talking about toys which some kids grow out of, I rarely heard "You still like Transformers? That's for babies" when I was a kid, but when the big Bay films came out, they made huge amounts of cash, despite lacking in quality. Meanwhile, I remember times like in 6th grade, and kids being like "You like Power Rangers still? that show is for babies!", and I'm willing to say that may have carried over to adults. I oddly find Power Rangers one of the few shows where nostalgia isn't so rampant. I fully admit I get nostalgic for it, but I don't see it nearly as much as a lot of other things from the 80's and 90's.

From what I've heard a lot of old-school fans that are on sites like Rangerboard and Rangercrew really hate the post-Saban era. Also, I can testify that poor marketing hurt it. Since merchandising is related to marketing, I can say the merchandising isn't much better. I work in retail, (yuck) and most, if not a large amount of the Power Ranger toys are still on the shelves.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 pm

I'm on Rangercrew and that isnt the case. I also work in retail and there are times where the Power Rangers section is almost completely empty with the exception of a few stragglers.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 11:21 pm

Gonna go the middle road between the two of you. On Rangerboard, the Neo-Saban era is....mixed. Samurai is ok, Megaforce is hated, Dino Charge is mostly well liked, and I'm hearing pretty mediocre reviews of Ninja Steel. That said, around me, I'm seeing varying amounts of the toys. for example, all the Legacy Movie Rangers sold through at Toys 'R Us, but I do see a lot of stock at various stores around me.

I don't think the Neo-Saban Era has anything to do with the movie though, as most Rangerboard members I've seen really enjoyed the movie. I just noticed you said post-Saban, so if you mean the Disney season, then the reception is usually mixed. The series I mentioned in my last post are usually very well liked, while for sure Operation Overdrive is usually the most hated season, with the rest getting mixed reception. .

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2017 10:07 am

I just checked Box Office Mojo and so far, Power Rangers 2017 has made $133 million dollars. Just a $5 increase from last week. At this point, it has to do well in Japan and China just to break even otherwise, it's going to be a flop.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 11:21 pm

You can kiss that Power Rangers sequel goodbye. It bombed hard in China making just $1.2 million due to going up against Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2. and the Bollywood (India) import Dangal.

And it's only made over $135 million dollars.

That's all, folks!

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2017 5:45 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
You can kiss that Power Rangers sequel goodbye. It bombed hard in China making just $1.2 million due to going up against Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2. and the Bollywood (India) import Dangal.

That's all, folks!

Holy christ.... talk about a complete wash. They really could have had something beloved by everyone and commercially successful. At this rate, the people I feel most sorry for (in all earnestness) all the people who really hoped China and Japan would save Power Rangers and guarantee a sequel.

It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2017 8:13 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

That's all, folks!

Holy christ.... talk about a complete wash. They really could have had something beloved by everyone and commercially successful. At this rate, the people I feel most sorry for (in all earnestness) all the people who really hoped China and Japan would save Power Rangers and guarantee a sequel.

It comes out in Japan on July 15, which is odd since one would think that it would have come out much sooner since the show it's based on is Japanese. In any case, it's too little, too late at this point.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2017 8:02 pm

This article says that good toy sales could lead to a sequel for Power Rangers.

Even if this and high DVD sales do lead to a sequel, then the law of diminishing returns say that the sequel is going to do worse at the box office. If anything else, I still say it would only be made to wrap things up and nothing more. And given how Lionsgate has gained a reputation of being a bomb factory, La La Land being the anomaly, good luck with that.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

Even if this and high DVD sales do lead to a sequel, then the law of diminishing returns say that the sequel is going to do worse at the box office. If anything else, I still say it would only be made to wrap things up and nothing more. And given how Lionsgate has gained a reputation of being a bomb factory, La La Land being the anomaly, good luck with that.

As much as Lionsgate seems to have earned their status as the "bomb factory", lets be honest if this same approach that the film displayed was shown by another studio, whether it were Sony, Fox or Paramount then it would be much the same results. I do feel a little bit bad for them since this was such a wasted opportunity to bring old and new Power Rangers fans into the fold to help launch a big budget adaptation of the series.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2017 8:20 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

As much as Lionsgate seems to have earned their status as the "bomb factory", lets be honest if this same approach that the film displayed was shown by another studio, whether it were Sony, Fox or Paramount then it would be much the same results. I do feel a little bit bad for them since this was such a wasted opportunity to bring old and new Power Rangers fans into the fold to help launch a big budget adaptation of the series.

Well, giving the movie the dark and gritty tone was the fatal mistake Lionsgate made. Yes, there were other factors: Power Ranger fatigue, the look of the Zords, the revenge porn, the scene with the bull, etc. But the tone was the biggest mistake. Unless it was the 3rd final movie in a trilogy where they finally fought Lord Zedd, who probably should have been the Thanos of the PR movie trilogy, then I don't see how it could have worked.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Well, giving the movie the dark and gritty tone was the fatal mistake Lionsgate made. Yes, there were other factors: Power Ranger fatigue, the look of the Zords, the revenge porn, the scene with the bull, etc. But the tone was the biggest mistake. Unless it was the 3rd final movie in a trilogy where they finally fought Lord Zedd, who probably should have been the Thanos of the PR movie trilogy, then I don't see how it could have worked.

Rhedo did you ever actually see the movie? I'll give you the Zords and the bull joke was out of place, but otherwise? The movie wasn't that dark and not gritty. The revenge porn subplot was overblown, it was mentioned a minute and wasn't even porn, it was just like a private pic, and it isn't glorified. PR fatigue also wasn't the problem, it's the general stigma of Power Rangers as a kids show in general. The film overall was well liked by most who saw it, but it's just not in most general audience interest for Power Rangers.

Last edited by TheDreamMaster on Wed May 31, 2017 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 11:56 am

There was no revenge porn. Revenge porn is someone uploading a private tape onto youtube or something of that matter. Also the movie was dark, but not that gritty. Yes Rita's intention was to actually kill the teenagers, but other than that, it was fine. It also still holds a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes so SOMEBODY had to like it. Not everyone wants a film to fall flat on it's face because of a movie studio.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Power Rangers Movie Sequel “In Discussion”
https://www.powerrangersnow.com/power-rangers-movie-sequel-in-discussion/

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Please god let this happen. While I still have my doubts it'll pull in a huge crowd, for the fans of the film, it'd be nice to at least have one continuation. Plus, there will always be some extra interest if you bring out the actual Green Ranger.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 6:57 pm

I just want to see their take on Lord Zedd.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 7:10 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Dead2009 wrote:
Please god let this happen. While I still have my doubts it'll pull in a huge crowd, for the fans of the film, it'd be nice to at least have one continuation. Plus, there will always be some extra interest if you bring out the actual Green Ranger.

I just think if this does happen, it will only be to wrap everything up. It's hard enough to justify a sequel when the first movie underperformed and didn't break even at the box office. The law of diminishing returns only makes things that much harder. Hopefully, they don't screw up with the 'new' Dragonzord like they did with most of the Dinozords and the Megazord. If that happens, I'm REALLY going to be pissed off.

Chainsaw Killer Chainsaw Killer Chainsaw Killer Chainsaw Killer Chainsaw Killer Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 12:11 pm

Power Rangers Movie Tops Home Video Sales

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Dead2009 wrote:

Talk about a movie that just doesn't seem able or willing to die. Maybe Saban and Lionsgate are indeed seeing something that we can't. But even if they do proceed with their ambitious venture, I still think a lot of changes should be made to the sequel to make it feel more in line with the look and spirit of Power Rangers.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 4:28 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Dead2009 wrote:

Talk about a movie that just doesn't seem able or willing to die. Maybe Saban and Lionsgate are indeed seeing something that we can't. But even if they do proceed with their ambitious venture, I still think a lot of changes should be made to the sequel to make it feel more in line with the look and spirit of Power Rangers.

They must think that it was simply due to bad timing and nothing else. I just think that this will be a harder sell then what the higher-ups think. Hard to justify a sequel when the first movie didn't break even at the box-office. And, as I said before, they better not botch the design of the Dragonzord. Other then the Triceratops and Pterodactyl Zords, I hated how the others looked. If they botch how Dragonzord looks in this movie, then I'm REALLY going to hope that the sequel bombs.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 6:50 pm

You hope any film that you dont like bombs, lets be honest, lol.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 10:29 am

I'm loving that on other forums I'm on, a lot of people are seeing it now and having a lot of good things to say. I'm hoping the good home release sales and the better word of mouth push the sequel forward.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Power Rangers' final box office gross is 141.9 million

Inb4 it didnt make a sh*t ton of money therefore flop, lul.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 12:27 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Power Rangers' final box office gross is 141.9 million

Inb4 it didnt make a sh*t ton of money therefore flop, lul.

Except that in most cases, a money has to make double it's budget in order to break even, so it's still a flop. It getting crushed by GOTG Vol. 2 in China was the main reason for why it didn't break even.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 10:44 am

Legacy Wars Megazord Mode Announced
https://www.powerrangersnow.com/legacy-wars-megazord-battles-announced/

This makes me want to pick the game back up now.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Jason David Frank wants a Logan style sendoff movie for his character.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 pm

This looks amazing

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2017 11:58 pm

Saban has got rid of the PR2017 logo.

Either Saban is making a new one for a sequel or they've given up it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread   It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's Morphin' Time!: The Power Rangers Thread
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next