Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Jurassic World Mapping Project

Go down 
+2
Gojira2014
Troodon_formosus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Troodon_formosus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Troodon_formosus

Jurassic World Mapping Project Empty
PostSubject: Jurassic World Mapping Project   Jurassic World Mapping Project Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2016 8:41 pm

I think we need a new, comprehensive Jurassic World map. As of such I'm commencing a project for that now. Anyone who wants to help, come on ahead! I'd like it to be comparable to the old JPL map for Isla Nublar, which most of you probably remember:
JPL Nublar Map:

So I'm proposing that we start with that, erase everything but the Visitors' Center and Mount Sibo (so that we may have some reference points between the two films), and then edit the geography to accommodate for the geological changes that occur to the island in between the films. Then, add in everything from Jurassic World with its own logos and such.

To determine the locations of the Jurassic World features I present the film-canon maps of Isla Nublar circa 2015: first, the map from the website. Note that it is highly stylized and cartoonish, intentionally making the area north of the Wall (Sector 5) appear smaller than it is in reality. Also, it's important to note that the old Visitors' Center--commonly thought to be within Sector 5--is NOT in Sector 5, it's in Sector 4!

Then, the prop from the film used by InGen Security when tracking iRex:
In-Film Prop Map:
This map is reasonably accurate and gives a pretty good idea of where the monorail and transport roads are, as well as a number of other features. However, the labels for Sectors 5 and 6 are swapped erroneously here. That's a mistake; Sector 5 is the northernmost sector, whereas Sector 6 is the one east of the Jungle River.

Then, this other prop map that appeared in the brochure:
Brochure Map:
Unfortunately, high-resolution images of this map are very rare. The best I could find was this prop replica on eBay, which shows a few buildings not on the other maps: the Events Center, Zipline Towers, Rock Climbing, and Security. If anyone actually has the brochure in their possession, and could upload some pictures, that'd be cool of you.

Finally, the Control Room map.
Control Room Maps:
Sadly there are not a lot of high-quality pictures of this one either. But we do get to see some other features in the park: the Weather Station is given a proper location (the hurricane-shaped icon on the coast), we see a Lagoon Outflow (also on the western coast), a Water Power Generator (the lightning-bold symbol on the coast), the Sudden Drop (cliffs on the eastern coast of Sector 6) and the Western Ridge (a mountain range in the west). There are a LOT of other labels on this map, and if anyone can at all find a way to make them visible, through whatever technological wizardry you have access to (or bribing Trevorrow into giving us a closer look at it, that works too), that would be AWESOME.

Through scouring the website and other media, here's a list of locations that would need to be mapped, apart from those we already know:
-Casa de Caballeros (a set of visitor cabanas)
-Weather Station
-Weather Station Supplies
-Water Power Generator
-Employee Residential Area (Jake Johnson discusses its existence in his interview--probably located in Sector 1 or 2)
-Tun-Si Reservation (also discussed by Jake Johnson in his interview, probably located near Mount Sibo)
-Geothermal Power Generator (again, probably located near Mount Sibo)
-Tyrannosaur Holding Pen (for Rexy's intended replacements--probably located near the IMAX Theater)
-Recycling Facility
-Food Production Facility? (only appears in the JW game, but its in-film existence would make sense)
-Asset Wellness Facility?
-Head/Administrative Office?
-Engineering Office (existence indicated by the in-film prop map, but not located)

...There are probably more, but that's what I've got for now. Along with these there are the locations which appear either in the film itself or on the various maps. According to the website, there are 37 shops on Main Street, along with 12 sit-down restaurants and 8 cafés, and the video cameras on the website indicate the existence of a minimum of six maintenance alleys and an employee break room (appearing to be located off of a maintenance alley). I'm thinking Main Street and the lagoon should have a zoomed-in inset area to view more clearly, as in the brochure map.

If anybody else has found things that should be mapped, feel free to post them. The days of JPL may be over but that doesn't mean that what's left of us can't create some damn good maps.

The Forgotten World Characters: Cessna (Pteranodon longiceps masranii ♀)
Back to top Go down
http://exploresecondearth.boards.net/
Gojira2014
Hatchling
Hatchling
Gojira2014

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Mapping Project   Jurassic World Mapping Project Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2016 10:20 pm

I'm in!

Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Megatronus Rex

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Mapping Project   Jurassic World Mapping Project Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2016 1:17 am

That brochure is only $20...? I can buy that right now and have it by Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuEb77i1zKVDNUSAyk_pZ-A
Troodon_formosus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Troodon_formosus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Mapping Project   Jurassic World Mapping Project Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2016 6:04 pm

Sweet! Hopefully we can get this underway soon.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Mapping Project   Jurassic World Mapping Project Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Sounds like an excellent venture, I look forward to the finalized results!!

Perhaps we can finally solve the mystery of that sharp, jutting peninsula at the southern tip of the island.

Jurassic World Mapping Project Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Troodon_formosus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Troodon_formosus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Mapping Project   Jurassic World Mapping Project Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2016 6:58 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Sounds like an excellent venture, I look forward to the finalized results!!

Perhaps we can finally solve the mystery of that sharp, jutting peninsula at the southern tip of the island.
My best guess for that region is that rising sea levels have swamped all but the highest of ground in the south, turning the formerly broad and rounded area of the island into a tidal marsh with only a narrow area of land exposed to air all of the time. This, along with erosion and a lesser degree of human interference, has resulted in the current structure of Isla Nublar's southern tip.

Back to top Go down
Troodon_formosus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Troodon_formosus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Mapping Project   Jurassic World Mapping Project Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 7:38 pm

The monorail tracks on the prop map don't match up with those on the website map, so I'm using the website monorail track map rather than the prop map. The problem with the prop map is that the tracks never leave Sector 3, whereas in the film, they clearly do.

As of now I've altered the outline of the island (keeping as close to the original as I could), including the estuaries of the Jungle River and North River. The distortion of Sector 5 in the website map is especially apparent when I mapped the North River; it extends to about the same longitude as Mt. Sibo, which is over halfway across the sector. The distortion makes it look like it's small, but it actually extends quite far into the island interior, even farther than it did in 1993, probably due to erosion of the mountains.

I tried to keep the Jungle River estuaries relatively near where the original estuary was. In addition, the Lagoon is situated on top of where some of the Jungle River used to be, strongly implying that the River is the Lagoon's source of water (treated with salt by JW staff, probably).

I've also added the monorail track, other bodies of water inland, sector boundaries and walls, and service roads indicated by the prop map. I have drawn on a basic layout of the buildings around the Lagoon, but they'll be overlain by icons as per the original JPL map, so they're just placeholders at the moment. I have yet to create any new icons, that's the next order of business.

Back to top Go down
Dino_Guy_II
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Mapping Project   Jurassic World Mapping Project Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 11:40 am

Hey! Sorry if I'm a bit late, but is there a chance I could join the project too?
Back to top Go down
Troodon_formosus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Troodon_formosus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Mapping Project   Jurassic World Mapping Project Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 6:56 pm

Sure, if you have anything that would help identify the locations of particular areas (or skill with Microsoft Paint!) that would be great!

Back to top Go down
CommanderKeller
Embryo
Embryo
CommanderKeller

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Mapping Project   Jurassic World Mapping Project Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 8:40 pm

Any news in this project??

https://www.instagram.com/jurassicpark_raptors/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Mapping Project   Jurassic World Mapping Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jurassic World Mapping Project
Page 1 of 1