Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills Empty
PostSubject: Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills   Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Jack Anthony Ewins, as well as many others have argued how great of a hunter Ronald Tembo is, while downplaying Muldoon's skills in turn. Now, whilst I love Muldoon, I too have to admit that he really didn't have the greatest weekends at Jurassic Park. In fact, some of his actions were almost shockingly incompetent. However, I would argue that Ronald Tembo does equally as, or even more questionable things,. Here are some of the things that make no sense to me:

First, he's actually not entirely sure what the hell he is hunting, as first proven by the Parasaurolophus scene. I understand it's supposed to be the trait of the hunters, you know to show that they're only there because of money and whatever and npoot really care what they are hunting, but isn't Tembo supposed to be some sort of hunter mastermind? And out there to get the biggest trophy of all, T-Rex. At the very least, you'd expect him to know what he is going against. Not blind.

He's experienced enough to tell Ludlow not to have his InGen base camp in the middle of game trail. However, for some reason he decides to trap the infant T-Rex right next to that camp later on (as proven by the flying jeep hitting the tree where they he and Ajay are camping).. WTF is he thinking? Even if he did manage to finish off one Rex, does he expect to get them both? Does he not understand the danger they posses for the camp? Also, it seems like a really dangerous and pain staking move to drag the infant all the way from the nest next to the camp. Was that really the best tactic?

Now, this one is more of InGen team's fault in general, but how did he not know there were other people on the island? Their choppers flew just by Malcolm and gang. And Ludlow must have known Hammond was up to something. I guess I can't really directly fault Ronald himself for any of that, but still he doesn't seem to care too much about the security of the team in any case. Not only because of the previous example of luring the Rexes next to the camp, but also leaving Dieter Stark in charge who seemingly has let him down before (by the way he speaks). Dieter doesn't even seem to have guards around camp.

Before they are starting their trek through the island, he says a remark about Eddie's death: "Rex just fed, so he won't be hunting for a while". Okay, even if he understands absolutely nothing about the animal itself, he should know that animal of that size isn't going to be "fed" by one miserable little human. And in fact, there were two Rexes that ate one little body each. This assumption is so moronic it's little bit insulting. And even if the Rexes had had enough, like 10 carcasses of dinosaurs and 20 people in the last hour, who's to say they only hunt for meat? There are predators who can do it for other reasons. And you know, they do have infant they need to feed. Infant that hasn't yet left the nest even, as he said earlier.

When Ronald notices Sarah's idiotic decision to wear blood soaked clothes while traveling through the island, he rightly asks her about it. However, he should have ordered her to get rid of it, immediately. And not only get rid of it, but bury it deep underground. By failing to do that, he is putting himself and everyone else in danger. Thanks Sarah, thanks Ronald.

Nick van Greenpeace takes out the bullets from Ronald's gun, also putting everyone in danger (my arguments for Nick's case can be found here: https://jurassicmainframe.forumotion.com/t983-nick-van-owen-the-true-villain-of-tlw). But does Roland really not check his elephant gun condition even once after that? I think even Muldoon would have done that. Even if he confident about it otherwise, at the very least he should've realized the danger the Greenpeace guy possesses when he left his gun behind. In one scene beforehand, Nick blatantly even asked to see it. Wtf?

When they have camp, once again there are no guards whatsoever in sight when everyone's sleeping, and Sarah & Kelly's tent is just there out in the open. Dieter's dead, so who's supposed to be in charge now? I guess Ronald was out searching for Dieter so he wasn't the one who made the camp (which is in wide open as well), but when he came back he should've made some rearrangements at least.

Next he's talking to Malcolm and Ajay about hitting the InGen complex. He says "we'll let them sleep, one more hour, and then we hit it". But it's the middle of god damn night, and there won't be daylight for some time as proven by the rest of the film. Yet he aims have his huge caravan of people traveling then? In a territory he knows is full of raptors? Even if he doesn't know anything about raptors, he should know carnivores are much more active in the dark. And if he knows there are dangerous grasslands in route to their destination, he should know traveling in dark is the last thing they should do.

Finally, he shoots the T-Rex from no cover whatsoever. He just stands there right in the open, close by. The big game hunter indeed. At least Muldoon, while he clearly didn't understand how his own animals hunted like Grant would've, at least took sneaky approach to raptor hunting.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the guy, but he doesn't really make much sense. He's actions frustrating as some of the other characters in TLW, and of course Pete Postlethwaite's amazing performance saves a lot, but I would not agree with anyone saying he's inferior to Muldoon.
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills   Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Mistral wrote:
Jack Anthony Ewins, as well as many others have argued how great of a hunter Ronald Tembo is, while downplaying Muldoon's skills in turn. Now, whilst I love Muldoon, I too have to admit that he really didn't have the greatest weekends at Jurassic Park. In fact, some of his actions were almost shockingly incompetent. However, I would argue that Ronald Tembo does equally as, or even more questionable things,. Here are some of the things that make no sense to me:

First, he's actually not entirely sure what the hell he is hunting, as first proven by the Parasaurolophus scene. I understand it's supposed to be the trait of the hunters, you know to show that they're only there because of money and whatever and npoot really care what they are hunting, but isn't Tembo supposed to be some sort of hunter mastermind? And out there to get the biggest trophy of all, T-Rex. At the very least, you'd expect him to know what he is going against. Not blind.
He's a hunting expert, not a dinosaur expert. He wanted to hunt a T. rex, not every animal on the island. His role was more advisory than anything. He was there to direct the rest of the harvesters and to advise Ludlow and his team. His main interest was the T. rex.

Mistral wrote:
He's experienced enough to tell Ludlow not to have his InGen base camp in the middle of game trail. However, for some reason he decides to trap the infant T-Rex right next to that camp later on (as proven by the flying jeep hitting the tree where they he and Ajay are camping).. WTF is he thinking? Even if he did manage to finish off one Rex, does he expect to get them both? Does he not understand the danger they posses for the camp? Also, it seems like a really dangerous and pain staking move to drag the infant all the way from the nest next to the camp. Was that really the best tactic?
Fair point.

Mistral wrote:
Now, this one is more of InGen team's fault in general, but how did he not know there were other people on the island? Their choppers flew just by Malcolm and gang. And Ludlow must have known Hammond was up to something. I guess I can't really directly fault Ronald himself for any of that, but still he doesn't seem to care too much about the security of the team in any case. Not only because of the previous example of luring the Rexes next to the camp, but also leaving Dieter Stark in charge who seemingly has let him down before (by the way he speaks). Dieter doesn't even seem to have guards around camp.
Ludlow probably suspected something, but in his arrogance, didn't believe he'd actually try sabotaging the company he built. Besides, Malcolm's team was in a small clearing surrounded by large trees. Their vehicles were painted in woodland camo, and they themselves were wearing very inconspicuous colors. And I'd like to reiterate how extremely small the space they were parked in was, and how large the trees around them were. It's literally the size of a small parking lot:
Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills 9vy6rWZ

Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills KoUAPJU

Mistral wrote:
Before they are starting their trek through the island, he says a remark about Eddie's death: "Rex just fed, so he won't be hunting for a while". Okay, even if he understands absolutely nothing about the animal itself, he should know that animal of that size isn't going to be "fed" by one miserable little human. And in fact, there were two Rexes that ate one little body each. This assumption is so moronic it's little bit insulting. And even if the Rexes had had enough, like 10 carcasses of dinosaurs and 20 people in the last hour, who's to say they only hunt for meat? There are predators who can do it for other reasons. And you know, they do have infant they need to feed. Infant that hasn't yet left the nest even, as he said earlier.

When Ronald notices Sarah's idiotic decision to wear blood soaked clothes while traveling through the island, he rightly asks her about it. However, he should have ordered her to get rid of it, immediately. And not only get rid of it, but bury it deep underground. By failing to do that, he is putting himself and everyone else in danger. Thanks Sarah, thanks Ronald.

Nick van Greenpeace takes out the bullets from Ronald's gun, also putting everyone in danger (my arguments for Nick's case can be found here: https://jurassicmainframe.forumotion.com/t983-nick-van-owen-the-true-villain-of-tlw). But does Roland really not check his elephant gun condition even once after that? I think even Muldoon would have done that. Even if he confident about it otherwise, at the very least he should've realized the danger the Greenpeace guy possesses when he left his gun behind. In one scene beforehand, Nick blatantly even asked to see it. Wtf?
Also fair points. For a sports hunter, Roland really does mistreat his equipment. He also has the barrel of his rifle pointed upwards when it's raining, so all that rain is just going right into the barrel and getting it all wet in there.

Mistral wrote:
When they have camp, once again there are no guards whatsoever in sight when everyone's sleeping, and Sarah & Kelly's tent is just there out in the open. Dieter's dead, so who's supposed to be in charge now? I guess Ronald was out searching for Dieter so he wasn't the one who made the camp (which is in wide open as well), but when he came back he should've made some rearrangements at least.
I believe somebody had left Malcolm to stand guard.

Mistral wrote:
Next he's talking to Malcolm and Ajay about hitting the InGen complex. He says "we'll let them sleep, one more hour, and then we hit it". But it's the middle of god damn night, and there won't be daylight for some time as proven by the rest of the film. Yet he aims have his huge caravan of people traveling then? In a territory he knows is full of raptors? Even if he doesn't know anything about raptors, he should know carnivores are much more active in the dark. And if he knows there are dangerous grasslands in route to their destination, he should know traveling in dark is the last thing they should do.
I don't believe the original plan was to go through the long grass. Initially, their plan was to climb down the cliffs (in the dark, yes, but really what choice did they have?), in order to circumvent the long grass all together.

Mistral wrote:
Finally, he shoots the T-Rex from no cover whatsoever. He just stands there right in the open, close by. The big game hunter indeed. At least Muldoon, while he clearly didn't understand how his own animals hunted like Grant would've, at least took sneaky approach to raptor hunting.
Actually, he goes after the Rex from behind a log:
Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills Rolandhunting

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills   Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Fair counter arguments, and nice job noticing the rain & gun thing. Though I'm not convinced Malcolm was there guarding anything, maybe he came back from the tent or something. Also they could have just waited until the morning to continue the trek. Even as risky, certainly less risky than suicide trek in the dark with raptors. Cliffs or not.

Also I meant this second shooting with darts where there's clearly nothing in front of Ronald. And the distance is very low, he really needs to stand that close? Are the darts really that weak? Even if they are, why stand right in the open?

Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills KxBbr1a
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills   Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 8:16 pm

I always assumed his plan was to OD the T. rex and have his trophy. He probably counted on two shots of concentrated carfentanil would be enough to OD the male, since a single shot of far less dosage can bring down an enraged Bull elephant. He just didn't count on Ludlow coming in and wanting it for himself.

Also, Roland does initially hide behind a patch of grass growing around a rock when he approaches the Bull. He stands up to get a better shot, but still has the grass between him and the T. rex:
Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills Wq7JT5e

Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills 0NgxDH2

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills   Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Maybe, he was more reluctant to hunt for a final time then he was willing to admit, at least until after he learned that Ajay died. Even in the deleted scene, you can see him refer to himself and Ajay as a firing squad or something like that. People wouldn't say that unless they have a reason to.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills   Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 1:28 pm

You know, there was another a film that was released in 1997 that had similar "blood soaked cloth" story line, called The Edge. In it, Anthony Hopkins actually tells Alec Baldwin to bury the bloody item, you know so that the bear or any other creature of the forest won't follow them. But Baldwin's character foolishly doesn't do it, just throws it in the woods near their camp, and the bear comes in the night to slaughter them because of it.

THAT'S the way to do it properly. The characters in TLW are absolute morons in comparison. And Ronald is actual wild life hunter even, the character of Hopkins in the Edge was just rich businessman who was interested in wilderness survival yet had no actual experience beyond theoretical knowledge. Ronald doesn't have the excuses. Same with Sarah, she should've known not to wear it, you know for being supposedly such experienced wild life expert. Alec Baldwin's character knew absolutely nothing of the wild, and thus it made sense for him to be so careless. Also he hated the character of Hopkins so for him not to care of given instructions is logical.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills   Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2017 5:29 pm

While I do acknowledge this is done mostly for comedic purposes, I fear these guys are way too much in bed with TLW to recognize similar questionable logic characteristics in Roland, or other characters in that film. Of course what they say here in the vid is hilarious and in principal I agree with much of it, you know Muldoon is pretty funny in his incompetence when you really think about, but at the same time they always hold TLW on some kind of untouchable pedestal.

Seriously has there ever before been a group of people so much in love with something in the history of world? It's all they ever talk about, and it's why I actively stopped listening to them few years ago. I mean I can still listen to Jack individually from time to time, because alone he seems to be at least slightly more restrained and objective, but when he's paired with those other guys it all breaks loose. Recently tried again their newest podcast, and it was, of course, TLW TLW TLW all-the-rest-pales-in-comparison-and-other-opinions-are-wrong chit chat. That's the impression I always get. Which is a shame, as they get pretty big names for their interviews. Mainly people from TLW, unsurprisingly, but also from the other films. Cool stories. Heck, even the guy who played Mark Degler in JP3 was damn entertaining.

But unfortunately the TLW hype puts me off, because it's not only overwhelming, but something that's apparently not up to criticism it seems? I mean like TLW is theirs, JP is my fav film in the world, but I can still point out some things from it that are kinda wonky in it. You know, like the million little continuity errors Spielberg has. Or the questionable decisions for scientific accuracy (even for the time period). Or how it's CGI revolution kinda led into backwards trends in special effects department later on.

To put it other way. To me, listening them crapping on other films while praising all things TLW to volume 100 with no objections, is like to presumably most of you listening me crapping on JW constantly. Yes, that irritating  Laughing  Laughing  sorry, had to make that 'joke'. Friday night blues Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills   Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ronald Tembo's questionable hunting/leading skills
Page 1 of 1