Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Main Dinosaur Antagonist

Go down 
+14
NikoRex
Minmi
JVM
Spinosaur4.4
CT-1138
Amadieus
#TRexSpinorematch
Tyrant Lizard
Mr. Robustus
Rhedosaurus
1morey
Dv-218
owenpratt
V.a.nublarensis
18 posters
AuthorMessage
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

Main Dinosaur Antagonist Empty
PostSubject: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 6:00 am

In every JP movie so far, there's always a single species that provides the biggest challenges for the human protagonists to go through. Whatever their motives are, be it protecting their child, killing for sport or stalking a specific human, these dinosaurs can be considered to be primary antagonists. So what species would you like to fill this role in JW3? Or if you'd prefer to not have any, elaborate your thoughts on why.

Personally, I don't have a specific species in mind. I'd actually prefer not to have a main dinosaur antagonist, as I think that wouldn't be important in the context of JW3's story. But if we do have to have one, I just want it to be a new species. Each movie always has a different one (Raptors, T-Rex, Spino, I-Rex, Indoraptor) and I'd like to see this continue in JW3.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 7:08 am

I think it's pretty sure that it won't be a hybrid this time, since Colin Trevorrow confirmed the Indoraptor was the last hybrid of the trilogy.
Also, you did right by saying "antagonist" instead of "villain", since the villains in this trilogy seem to be only the humans (and, in a way, also the hybrids).

That said... I would love to see a Giganotosaurus (always dreamed a JP4 with Giganotosaurus as main antagonist for years lol), but I agree that having a main dino antagonist wouldn't be the most fitting choice for JW3.

Maybe the T-Rex again? The Spinosaurus? The Velociraptors?
What if Blue somehow becomes an antagonist for some reason?

Probably there won't be one main dinosaur antagonist though... Although that would be pretty disappointing and weird, because I think people love the idea of having a bad dino to blame, to hate or to be scared of in a movie. We're used to it since 1993.

But yeah, if there has to be a dino antagonist, I would like to see a new species, like the Giganotosaurus.

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Dv-218

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 11:29 am

Although there is a chance JW3 won't have a specific dinosaur as an "antagonist" due to the context, I personally hope there is one. And if there is, I would actually like the antagonistic dinosaur to be an Allosaurus- a full grown one that is, not a juvie like in FK. It's much bigger than a raptor but smaller than a rex, built like a powerhouse yet still sleek and athletic, has pretty sharp claws and long hands, jaws that kill like a literal axe and possibly a pack hunter. Not to mention, due to it's size it can hide in forests around living areas, which will make it extremely dangerous to people. Also, it's just iconic and recognizable. I think it's about time that an actual jurassic predator will get to be the star of a Jurassic movie Smile

Also, although unlikely, I would love to see the Troodons (or is it Stenonychosaurs now?) from the game appear. They were scary as s**t, and they are perfect for some horror inducing scenes on the mainland- imagine sleeping in your tent located in a dark forest at night (let's say montana), when you suddenly get disturbed by a haunting call. You first think it's an elk, so you go outside to check it out. Suddenly, out of nowhere, you see a horde of glowing eyes surrounding you in the dark, when you realize "s*it it's not an elk" except it's too late. Something similar would be lit Smile

Besides that I would love to see Rexy (or another rex) get some scenes where she acts as a threat. A cool idea might be that she terrifies a bunch of hikers camping in the redwoods, or perhaps eating a couple of idiots who venture to an area that's closed because of the dinosaur invasion.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 11:34 am

Dv-218 wrote:
Although there is a chance JW3 won't have a specific dinosaur as an "antagonist" due to the context, I personally hope there is one. And if there is, I would actually like the antagonistic dinosaur to be an Allosaurus- a full grown one that is, not a juvie like in FK. It's much bigger than a raptor but smaller than a rex, built like a powerhouse yet still sleek and athletic, has pretty sharp claws and long hands, jaws that kill like a literal axe and possibly a pack hunter. Not to mention, due to it's size it can hide in forests around living areas, which will make it extremely dangerous to people. Also, it's just iconic and recognizable. I think it's about time that an actual jurassic predator will get to be the star of a Jurassic movie Smile

Also, although unlikely, I would love to see the Troodons (or is it Stenonychosaurs now?) from the game appear. They were scary as s**t, and they are perfect for some horror inducing scenes on the mainland- imagine sleeping in your tent located in a dark forest at night (let's say montana), when you suddenly get disturbed by a haunting call. You first think it's an elk, so you go outside to check it out. Suddenly, out of nowhere, you see a horde of glowing eyes surrounding you in the dark, when you realize "s*it it's not an elk" except it's too late. Something similar would be lit Smile

Besides that I would love to see Rexy (or another rex) get some scenes where she acts as a threat. A cool idea might be that she terrifies a bunch of hikers camping in the redwoods, or perhaps eating a couple of idiots who venture to an area that's closed because of the dinosaur invasion.

Now I want that scene to be in JW3.

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 1:52 pm

I'd like to see some non-dinosaur reptiles in the film:

* Dimetrodon
* Elasmosaurus
* Inostrancevia
* Ornithosuchus
* Prestosuchus
* Tropeognathus

As for actual dinosaurs:

* Concavenator
* Dilophosaurus
* Herrerasaurus
* Megaraptor
* Metriacanthosaurus
* Stenonychosaurus
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 7:47 pm

Dv-218 wrote:
Also, although unlikely, I would love to see the Troodons (or is it Stenonychosaurs now?) from the game appear. They were scary as s**t, and they are perfect for some horror inducing scenes on the mainland- imagine sleeping in your tent located in a dark forest at night (let's say montana), when you suddenly get disturbed by a haunting call.

They were renamed Pectinodon back in 2013. It was an old name that became discarded but got resurrected.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 10:52 pm

I really hope the T. rex takes that spot. One of the reasons FK's opening scene was arguably the best scene in the movie was that it was the first time in 21 years that the T. rex was pictured as a genuine threat (alongside the gorgeous cinematography, of course). If it's the final movie of the franchise, it would be fitting to give the T. rex the spotlight again.

Other than that, it could have the Mosasaurus, Carnotaurus, and the return of the Dilophosaurus as "auxiliary threats". We don't need anything else, really. Fallen Kingdom had lots of dinosaurs, but didn't do anything with that, most of them were basically glorified cameos. I really hope Trevorrow doesn't try to introduce a lot of new dinosaurs for the next movie, there's a lot of underutilized dinosaurs that need love in these new movies and couldn't get it because the filmmakers were more interested in showing the hybrids.

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 11:22 pm

I would agree with the above sentiment. If Jurassic World 3 is to be the last film in the franchise (for a while at least), then the main antagonist role should go to the series most iconic dinosaur and mascot. It doesn't necessarily have to be Rexy, but having a T.rex at center stage once again would be an appropriate note for the franchise to go out on.

Also, it's no surprise that as soon as they actually put some effort into making the Rex scary again, as they did with the opening scene of FK, we ended up with the best, scariest, and most JP-ish scene we've had since TLW. I'd like to see more of that in the next film. A lot more of that.

Main Dinosaur Antagonist Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 4:18 am

My question is, why does it have to always be just one main antagonist? What about having a Rex, Raptors and a Spino all take turns on the humans as antagonists?

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 4:22 am

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
My question is, why does it have to always be just one main antagonist? What about having a Rex, Raptors and a Spino all take turns on the humans as antagonists?
It doesn't have to, but that is what's been happening in the movies so far.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 6:00 am

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:

That might crowd things a bit. Give multiple dinosaurs roles, sure, but you kind of have to have a "main climax" type dinosaur.

That being said, Jurassic Park was able to tread the line between the raptors and the Rex pretty well, so it is possible to keep things somewhat balanced.

Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 7:09 am

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
#TRexSpinorematch wrote:

That might crowd things a bit. Give multiple dinosaurs roles, sure, but you kind of have to have a "main climax" type dinosaur.

That being said, Jurassic Park was able to tread the line between the raptors and the Rex pretty well, so it is possible to keep things somewhat balanced.

Yeah it would be similar to JP3 in that the Spino, Raptors and Pteranodons were all major antagonists that took turns on the humans, even if the Spino was the "face" of the movie.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
Amadieus
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 10:07 am

I actually would like it to be more like JP and the TLW when there was no main dino antagonist. Just spread it out a bit among different dino's.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 11:34 am

Amadieus wrote:
I actually would like it to be more like JP and the TLW when there was no main dino antagonist. Just spread it out a bit among different dino's.

In The Lost World the Rex was far and away the main antagonist Razz

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2018 12:08 am

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Amadieus wrote:

In The Lost World the Rex was far and away the main antagonist Razz
I'm inclined to agree with Amadieus. In JP and TLW, aside from the Raptors who were set up as incredibly villainous, it's heavily expressed that the dinosaurs aren't villains or monsters, they're just animals doing what they do. It's the humans who present themselves as the main antagonists. In Jurassic Park, it's Nedry, who is the catalyst for the Park's failure in the novel and film. In TLW, it's Dodgson in the novel and Ludlow in the film who present themselves as the main antagonists. The dinosaurs, up until JP///, had always been shown to simply be animals who just happen to come into contact with humans simply because of human stupidity.

Everything the Rexes do in both movies are easily explained. In JP, the T. rex isn't attacking the cars out of mindless hunger, she's simply curious about them. When we next see her, she's chasing the Jeep out of territoriality. She eventually gives up the chase once the Jeep is far enough away from her paddock. When she attacked Gennaro, note that she didn't completely eat him. She was using a kill to mark her territory. We see this same effect with the carcasses all over the Rex nest on Sorna. When the Rexes attack the trailer in TLW, they're doing so out of territoriality. Sarah clearly explains this. When they attack the camp on the ridge, it's because they're following the scent of their infant's blood on Sarah's jacket. This has also altered the Rexes perceived territory and the female persists in chasing the humans out of her territory.

The Raptors are the only dinosaurs ever shown to have this sadistic, insane side to them, and arguably the only true dinosaur antagonist we see in the first two movies.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Anything but T.rex or raptors. I want a new species.

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

Main Dinosaur Antagonist LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling
JVM

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2018 6:08 am

All of the films had multiple antagonists but usually one central dinosaur antagonist - the first film has 'the Big One' herself, the third through fifth films have their hybrids, and the second film is a little disputable, but I lean towards the bull Tyrannosaur, although he should probably share equal billing with his mate even if less thematic emphasis is placed on her.

Now, to be honest? I've always found this a lame and overused tactic for the franchise. I would rather have action sequences with multiple varying species than see the same one reappear four out of six times - whether it's a Tyrannosaur, a Raptor, a Dilophosaur or a new species, variety is really for the best, imo
Back to top Go down
Minmi
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Minmi

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2018 7:30 pm

I'd like to see more of the Carnotaurus or they could bring back the Ceratosaurus from JP3.

Embryo
Embryo
NikoRex

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 5:07 am

I would like to see the Spinosaurus. If they somehow miraculously stored a Spino in the Arcadia, bring it!
I mean, they've rescued some dinosaurs off-screen. Colin confirmed it. Why not.

Other than that, give me the Carnosaurus and Baryonyx as some cool antagonistic dinosaurs.
Carnotaurus sneaking around in the californian woods and Baryonyx hunting in the rivers.
Back to top Go down
Robotpo
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
Robotpo

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Every sequel has introduced a new predator - even TLW, which revolved around "Now with 3 times the T-Rex", had a special appearance by some Compies.

Presumably JW 3 will follow this pattern BUT I don't think there will be another big bad necessarily as Colin has mentioned this being a globe-trotting adventure, hence I don't know if it would make sense for the same species to show up everywhere they go.

I'd personally like to see some non-dinosaurs, like Dimetrodon or Plesiosaurus used in their own sequences, as they'd be unique visually from the carnivores we've had previously in the franchise.

There could even be a scene under or on the water with our heroes attacked by rabid Plesiosaurs when they're "saved" by the Mosaurus at the last minute...and for some reason, I could see our heroes stumbling into a Dimetrodon lair in some tunnels or an underground complex of some sort.

BTW - Colin said that they're not using another hybrid, but he never said there'd be no fictional dinosaurs in the film. The original origin for the Indominus (or Malasaurus) was it was a prehistoric species that had been undiscovered in the fossil record - they could always go that route and create another fictional predator. Something like the Therizinosaurus, only carnivorous, could make for a fun set piece.
Back to top Go down
JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling
JVM

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2019 6:11 am

Revisiting this thread a year later, my mind remains much the same that a third film shouldn't concentrate too highly on one species.

Amid the speculation the franchise may continue beyond JW3 though, my mind keeps going back to the thought a large dromaeosaur would be a cool antagonist to have if the franchise sometime. Something with the intelligence of the Velociraptor but more size and spectacle.

I don't think JW3 should be introducing any new species though.

Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2019 8:22 pm

I dont mind the idea of some company making feathered raptors that are as aggressive as the original JP batch.
Back to top Go down
CommanderKeller
Embryo
Embryo
CommanderKeller

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2019 1:39 pm

This trilogy is more connected than the original, which was more episodic.

With this in mind, in JW we have the Indominus and at the end Hoskins mentions the idea of ​​a smaller version.
''Imagine that one, a fraction of his size''

So in FK we have the Indoraptor, which is indeed that reduced-size version, and Wu mentions how they need Blue for the next iteration, not only to be a mother, but their DNA too.
''It needs to form a familiar bond with a closely related genetic link''
''Blue's dna will be part of the nex Indoraptor's makeup''

Colin has already confirmed that there will be no more hybrids, but it would be strange to leave this arc unfinished having these hints in FK.

My theory is that in JW3 we will see in some way that ''second iteration'' in the form of enhanced Raptors, with Blue as a base but with some Indominus / indoraptor abilities added.

Moments before Blue is released from the cage, we see people taking the eggs and blood samples from the lab, and Wu escapes with the help of one mercenary, these blood samples could be from any species, but as Mills said ''If it dies we have blood samples''

''A Wolf genetically is barely distinguishable from a Bulldog, but within that grey area, it's art''.

https://www.instagram.com/jurassicpark_raptors/
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 9:46 am

CommanderKeller wrote:

Colin has already confirmed that there will be no more hybrids, but it would be strange to leave this arc unfinished having these hints in FK.

There were quite a number of fans that really disliked the whole hybrids thing since Jurassic World and by the time Fallen Kingdom rolled around it is safe to say that a significant portion of the fanbase just has no interest in anything hybrids anymore.

Back to top Go down
AdamUpBxtch
Embryo
Embryo
AdamUpBxtch

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2020 5:58 am

I agree with the sentiment that the dinos aren't going to be the main antagonists of the film. They've clearly been setting up humans like Dr. Wu as the main antagonist since JW &

Spoilers:

The Dinosaurs are now all over the world, thanks to human intervention instead of leaving them on the island to die. I honestly didn't mind the Indominus being in JW because it's abilities help create the main conflict but I i could of done without the Indoraptor (Take the Indominus which was a good idea and the only one I actually can tolerate and......just add more raptor. Wow so exciting....) as it's rampage only began because Buffalo Bill wanted a trophy.

Though I wouldn't call Dr. Wu a "Villain" as he just seems to be arrogant and obsessed with his work and creations. I wouldn't call him "Evil" just "Misguided".

"In a paper for a scientific journal that was published by Wu in March 2015, he reported on the possibility of using InGen's genome library to help medical health in their research of diseases."

They're definitely going for a Dr. Frankenstein vibe with him.

PostSubject: Re: Main Dinosaur Antagonist   Main Dinosaur Antagonist Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Main Dinosaur Antagonist
Page 1 of 1