Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!

Go down 
+17
Trexbreakout
Minmi
V.a.nublarensis
Tyrant Lizard
Spiegel
The Malone Society
Island Queen
IllOrfanato
Oviraptor
Indoraptor11
Gondrasia
Rhedosaurus
Dr. Wu
#TRexSpinorematch
Troyal1
TyrannosaurTJ
Sickle_Claw
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 11:04 am

I should elaborate on my score a bit more and since this is the spoiler thread, well it's a good place to do it.

1. BioSyn and Dodgson - This is one of those long-standing threads that has remained unresolved since the first film. It's great we finally get a resolution and the resolution is BioSyn is up to the same thing they did in the novels virtually. If anybody remembers Dodgson in the original novel he's coming from the incident in South America where he was responsible for a rabies outbreak. He did this without the knowledge and consent of the people in Chile. In the films where he's doing something similar with the Locusts (genetically modified from prehistoric DNA at that) and causing them to attack Non-BioSyn GMO crops. This is a great use of the mythos and I applaud TPTB for this. The other thing is that it felt like a reference to Crichton's other work, Prey. Prey had a case of nanobots running amok and devouring plants and animals and causing all sorts of real-world kinds of issues. I felt it was strongly implied that these locusts would eventually start attacking and eating animals, even humans. So this is a great connection to Crichton's other works here and hits a more of a sense of authenticity for me.

2. Sequel Acknowledgement - It's great we get so many JP3 references and even TLW. I appreciate the fact we're not ignoring what has come before. You get to know what happened with Ellie after JP3 and even more, you get to know her kids are grown and she had a divorce. It's nice to see Grant and Malcolm again and going back to my authenticity argument you get Malcolm who is notoriously temperamental with people acting like Malcolm.

3. Good balance of exposition, story, and action - The 2-hour and 46-minute run time is used adequately and balances the exposition and story portions properly with the action. If you've been paying attention to the previous five films with the story, the nuances, and the details I felt like this film was the reward for all that. Weakness in the previous films is the imbalance of the exposition, story, and action. You either have too much action, a little bit of story, and little to no exposition (JP3) or you have a good amount of action, a good amount of story, and little to no exposition except for where it is really needed and even then it is lacking. Dominion felt like it fielded all this properly and I was really happy to feel rewarded finally for having all these met properly for me.

4. Allegorical Meanings and "the moral of the story" - Too many people think these films are just about people and dinosaurs and that's never really been the case. The dinosaurs are a storytelling tool to get people to think about the corporate misuse and abuse of science along with other issues such as animal rights/ethics, conservation, climate change, and more aspects of real-world issues. It deals with the hubris that humanity has in thinking it can overcome and even market that ability to overcome these issues. These issues are always politicized and the experts are frequently ignored either due to avarice or greed put forth by entrepreneurs or politicians. This film is properly illustrating that point like the others and finally sends it home.

-----

The other things did make me enjoy it even more:

Return of Grant, Sattler, and Malcolm and the characterizations feel authentic enough to believe it is them.
The fate of Sorna revealed
The fate of the TLW Rex family
Grant and Ellie getting together
BioSyn and Lewis Dodgson are dealt with and done so in a way that is echoing Crichton's style.
Feathered Dinosaurs
Maisie's timeline is cleared up a bit more and its ethics/implications of it are explored a bit more in-depth
Fun new characters like Kayla Watts and Soyona Santos
Redemption for Henry Wu (I felt this was a good point to hit)
DILOPHOSAURUS IS BACK
We get a Therizinosaurus and it's pretty damn cool.

My last thing here is I want to mention the feeling of finality in this film when compared to the others. It feels like the story is complete now and this makes me happy, but it also means other stories can be told now with other characters and other areas of the world with people cohabitating with this dinosaur situation that has taken the globe. Those could be either self-contained or something altogether new that builds up into something else. Tying the last major thread that was left open makes it so we can have more story potential for something new and different now.

So this is why I gave it a 10/10, and it may drop a point or so on additional viewings. But I do consider it one of the best of the new films and applaud it so much for being the movie we've needed to tie things up completely. I feel it gives something to the people that have been paying attention to the nuances of the series from its inception to now and that's why it is a good film to me.

Well, there it is...

"So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again." - Corrax Entry 7:17

Last edited by TyrannosaurTJ on Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Malone Society likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 11:10 am

IMO Dominion is the best JW film.

Back to top Go down
The Malone Society
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
The Malone Society

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 1:36 pm

TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
I should elaborate on my score a bit more and since this is the spoiler thread, well it's a good place to do it.

1. BioSyn and Dodgson - This is one of those long-standing threads that has remained unresolved since the first film. It's great we finally get a resolution and the resolution is BioSyn is up to the same thing they did in the novels virtually. If anybody remembers Dodgson in the original novel he's coming from the incident in South America where he was responsible for a rabies outbreak. He did this without the knowledge and consent of the people in Chile. In the films where he's doing something similar with the Locusts (genetically modified from prehistoric DNA at that) and causing them to attack Non-BioSyn GMO crops. This is a great use of the mythos and I applaud TPTB for this. The other thing is that it felt like a reference to Crichton's other work, Prey. Prey had a case of nanobots running amok and devouring plants and animals and causing all sorts of real-world kinds of issues. I felt it was strongly implied that these locusts would eventually start attacking and eating animals, even humans. So this is a great connection to Crichton's other works here and hits a more of a sense of authenticity for me.

2. Sequel Acknowledgement - It's great we get so many JP3 references and even TLW. I appreciate the fact we're not ignoring what has come before. You get to know what happened with Ellie after JP3 and even more, you get to know her kids are grown and she had a divorce. It's nice to see Grant and Malcolm again and going back to my authenticity argument you get Malcolm who is notoriously temperamental with people acting like Malcolm.

3. Good balance of exposition, story, and action - The 2-hour and 46-minute run time is used adequately and balances the exposition and story portions properly with the action. If you've been paying attention to the previous five films with the story, the nuances, and the details I felt like this film was the reward for all that. Weakness in the previous films is the imbalance of the exposition, story, and action. You either have too much action, a little bit of story, and little to no exposition (JP3) or you have a good amount of action, a good amount of story, and little to no exposition except for where it is really needed and even then it is lacking. Dominion felt like it fielded all this properly and I was really happy to feel rewarded finally for having all these met properly for me.

4. Allegorical Meanings and "the moral of the story" - Too many people think these films are just about people and dinosaurs and that's never really been the case. The dinosaurs are a storytelling tool to get people to think about the corporate misuse and abuse of science along with other issues such as animal rights/ethics, conservation, climate change, and more aspects of real-world issues. It deals with the hubris that humanity has in thinking it can overcome and even market that ability to overcome these issues. These issues are always politicized and the experts are frequently ignored either due to avarice or greed put forth by entrepreneurs or politicians. This film is properly illustrating that point like the others and finally sends it home.

-----

The other things did make me enjoy it even more:

Return of Grant, Sattler, and Malcolm and the characterizations feel authentic enough to believe it is them.
The fate of Sorna revealed
The fate of the TLW Rex family
Grant and Ellie getting together
BioSyn and Lewis Dodgson are dealt with and done so in a way that is echoing Crichton's style.
Feathered Dinosaurs
Maisie's timeline is cleared up a bit more and its ethics/implications of it are explored a bit more in-depth
Fun new characters like Soyona Santos
Redemption for Henry Wu (I felt this was a good point to hit)
DILOPHOSAURUS IS BACK
We get a Therizinosaurus and it's pretty damn cool.

My last thing here is I want to mention the feeling of finality in this film when compared to the others. It feels like the story is complete now and this makes me happy, but it also means other stories can be told now with other characters and other areas of the world with people cohabitating with this dinosaur situation that has taken the globe. Those could be either self-contained or something altogether new that builds up into something else. Tying the last major thread that was left open makes it so we can have more story potential for something new and different now.

So this is why I gave it a 10/10, and it may drop a point or so on additional viewings. But I do consider it one of the best of the new films and applaud it so much for being the movie we've needed to tie things up completely. I feel it gives something to the people that have been paying attention to the nuances of the series from its inception to now and that's why it is a good film to me.

Well, there it is...

I pretty much agree with all of this. I honestly don't get some of the complaints I've heard from the film, like about the giant locusts. Personally, I loved the giant locusts. I thought they were a genuinely terrifying threat and they were an excellent expansion of the franchise's themes about genetic power and its destructive power. This franchise has always been about more than dinosaurs and Malcolm literally said in Fallen Kingdom that once genetic power is spread across the world, it wasn't going to stop with the de-extinction of the dinosaurs. The locusts also were in line with this franchise's theme of human greed abusing genetic power and its consequences. Creating locusts that would eat everything except their own crops so they could control the food industry does actually sound like something Biosyn would do. And I wish I could say that I can't see corporations today doing something that could potentially cause millions to starve and irreparable harm to the ecosystem... but no, I can totally see them doing this as well. The locusts are a great example of how humanity could cause its own extinction and it is more realistic than dinosaurs somehow being responsible for mankind's extinction. So overall, I thought the locusts were a great addition to the series.
Back to top Go down
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 5:12 pm

The giant locusts are the most Crichton-esque type of plot we've gotten in 20+ years except for the first and second films (roundabout on TLW since it differs so much from his original work and goes into a different direction altogether). The hybrid stuff in the new trilogy is also another Crichton approach here too I'd have to say as well. So it makes sense to go this route and if people would listen to the dialogue they'd hear the fact they're spliced with prehistoric DNA. The prologue even shows some large locusts too implying that these are extinct animals revived as well.

As I mentioned, Dodgson does something similar in the novel with rabies in Chile. So it makes sense he'd do something like this - on a global scale - eventually. It's why I felt this was such a good plot point to help tie everything up. His characterization is different in the film than in the novels, but he is still despicable in the same sense and just as morally and ethically challenged. Honestly, people need to really go back and read the novels here to get the nuances that Dominion has. It has some great nods to the source material presented in it in terms of characterizations.

I have no doubt a second viewing for me will still be enjoyed. I felt this film works as a decent and wonderful bookend to the series and gets what the series has always been about - human avarice and hubris. Sure people aren't going to like it, but I would say that has to do with the fact of them not wanting to think and comprehend what is before them. The series is more than just dinosaurs, it uses them as a tool and a way to get people to be more cautious in matters of public policy and capitalism with scientific endeavors.

I would challenge anybody with a negative review is that they need to try to understand and comprehend what they're seeing before outwardly decrying it. Of course, the film has faults but is a miracle at all it got made especially with respect to the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions we just went through. Then again I've been here since the beginning and I get that people don't see the franchise and the story the same way I have come to see it and that's okay. I just would hope people understand this movie brings definitely some much-needed closure to the Park trilogy and wraps up the World trilogy while also leaving the door open for standalone stories and other standalone narratives later.

"So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again." - Corrax Entry 7:17

Back to top Go down
http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 6:52 pm

Just got out of the theater and I actually liked it way more than I thought I would. I can't exactly break down everything I liked and didn't like about it after just one viewing, but the feeling I got after the film ended was one of satisfaction, which I can't say about Fallen Kingdom. Maybe it was going on with pretty low expectations, but overall I felt like it was a damn solid conclusion to the trilogy. I can't say whether or not I would rank it higher than TLW or JW, but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than JP3 or FK.

Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Jpbann10

Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 12:22 am

I really liked it. The pacing for the first 30 minutes or so is incredibly weird, and there's some jarring editing choices. The final fight isn't all that great either, and the movie needs more breathing room in general.
But the positives far outweigh the negatives. I like that the movie mostly takes place in one location, which avoids a massive problem that The Rise of Skywalker had. The character interactions are amazing, and the action scenes, especially the long one in Malta are all great.

Back to top Go down
The Malone Society
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
The Malone Society

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 12:27 am

V.a.nublarensis wrote:
I really liked it. The pacing for the first 30 minutes or so is incredibly weird, and there's some jarring editing choices. The final fight isn't all that great either, and the movie needs more breathing room in general.
But the positives far outweigh the negatives. I like that the movie mostly takes place in one location, which avoids a massive problem that The Rise of Skywalker had. The character interactions are amazing, and the action scenes, especially the long one in Malta are all great.

I absolutely loved the dinosaur black market at Malta, I thought it was a great location that helped show some of the consequences of dinosaurs being re-introduced into the larger world. The action scene in Malta also honestly kind of reminded me of The Lost World novel, which had raptor chase scenes with a four-wheeled vehicle and a motorcycle going on at the same time just like in this movie, but having it take place in a more urban setting like Malta is something we haven't seen in this franchise which was really neat. The Biosyn dinosaur sanctuary was also a fun setting in my opinion, it really reminded me of the "lost valley" locations from other dinosaur stories that have dinosaurs surviving in the modern day by living in isolated areas.
Back to top Go down
Spiegel
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 10:18 am

Just to play devil's advocate here, I'm going to focus on some of the bad aspects of the film. As I said earlier, I'm mixed but I do feel it's decent. I just don't feel like it's great.

- The plot is all over the place. It feels like there are at least 3 or 4 separate films all going on at the same time. Combined with some of the poor choices in editing, and probably removed scenes, the film just feels like a scrambled egg when you wanted over easy.

- Flimsy plot in some regards. There are a lot of elements about the plot/s that was/were great. I think there are a lot of ideas there that can lead to some amazing spin-off material. However, I don't feel like any singular plot concept was explored very much or left me wanting that much more detail.
Malta and the dinosaur black market was awesome, another sanctuary in a new environment was cool, locusts were a poor choice but the concept of dinosaurs messing up the environment in some way was cool, and the idea of corporations trying to harness what they can out of dinosaurs to make a profit was also great. However, all these things combined into a weird film that just didn't quite feel like it went anywhere. Add to that the "secret mission," aspect of things and it's just way too much. We didnt really get enough detail as to how dinosaurs were now everywhere and are just left to make our own assumptions. I did not care for that. Also, what about Blue. They went out of their way to make her this hero character and just kind of ditched her this last go around.

- Characters weren't what I hoped for. The dialogue just didn't feel like it built the characters very much for me. I didn't care about any of them too much if at all. Grant and Owen talking about raptors and arguing about their experiences would have been awesome, as an example. Also, if Owen held out his hand to one more dinosaur I would have vomited. Yeah, it worked with the trained raptors but he does it to every dinosaur he encounters and works. And again, what about Blue. Is she supposed to be a mainstay hero of the film because she felt forgotten? While I wasn't a fan of the idea of a dinosaur superhero we had gotten I wasn't expecting a 180 on that after 2 films of setting it all up.

- Redundancy . . . . Yes, I get there is only to much to do that hasn't been done but at the same time too much of it feels like its just trying to play the nostalgia factor or a child's fan fiction. We just keep getting the same scenes done over but revamped to be a little more intense.

- The final fight scene is the worst closing scene I've ever seen. What a horrible way to end the big showdown. Again, just feels like JW all over again but with different dinosaur characters.

So its not so much the concepts or plot/s. It's more as a film it just kind of sucked. It had great content that just didn't come together the way it could have. That's essentially true of the entire JW series. There are great concepts, great effects, great actors, and so on but Trevorrow didn't bring it together in a meaningful enough way. I'm happy to have had 3 more Jurassic films, I'm happy to see most of the concepts, and I'm happy that we may see more. I just feel that there are too many missed opportunities and the execution of it all is so poor. I think from just a film perspective, with all my Jurassic love aside, it wasnt that great of a movie. Decent enough for a popcorn flick but really missed the mark in what made the first film, and its sequel, amazing.

Edit: On a side note, something I dont understand is how this movie felt so great to people. However, to me, it felt the most like JP3 which has been the red-headed stepchild of the of series. JP3 is a bunch of action scenes with a redundant plot but it made sense. People want to rescue their child after others try to take advantage of the dinosaurs for financial gain and it all goes wrong. The concept of parents going to save a kid and getting trapped themselves is a simple plot but it makes sense. It doesnt require a crazy amount of dialogue or character building as its relatable that a human would do go to extreme lengths to save a loved one. The JW series feels like its more of the same, basic plots, but isnt relatable at all and what is relatable has already been hashed out but is used yet again.

The Malone Society
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
The Malone Society

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 8:47 pm

Just got out from my second viewing. While not perfect (no JP film is in my opinion), I think it ultimately succeeded in what it set out to do: giving these characters their happy endings while staying true and expanding upon the themes of the franchise. And during my second viewing I especially found myself appreciating the special effects and the animatronics they used. It's difficult for me to rank these movies since I love most of them (while JP3 still has its merits), but right now it's either my third or fourth favorite.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2022 12:35 pm

As somebody who's also part of the one JP Facebook group that Sickle Claw's an admin of, I find it very curious how more people are divided over the movie their while most people here liked it.

It even more interesting when, again, the people on Jurassic Reddit seem to be disappointed en masses.

Just read their responses here.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2022 2:10 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
As somebody who's also part of the one JP Facebook group that Sickle Claw's an admin of, I find it very curious how more people are divided over the movie their while most people here liked it.

It even more interesting when, again, the people on Jurassic Reddit seem to be disappointed en masses.

The Rotten Tomatoes score doesn't help clarify things either. Bad critical reviews but good user reviews. This film really does seem to be getting the King of the Monsters treatment. Normally when people say a film is "polarizing", it's normally just a polite was of saying nobody liked it, but that really does seem to be the case with Dominion.

And, just from personal experience, some of the people I expected to hate it ended up enjoying it, while some of the people I expected to sing it's praises ended up not caring for it at all. Hell, I didn't expect to enjoy it at all, considering that I rrally didn't like Fallen Kingdom, and I wound up really digging it.

Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Jpbann10

Back to top Go down
Minmi
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Minmi

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2022 4:21 am

Personally, I thought it was quite good. The only thing that disappointed me was not seeing much of Rexy, the Atrociraptors or the Mosasaurus. Not sure what to think of the giant locusts.

Definitely could have had a bit more dino action.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2022 6:43 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

I have actually seen this as well. On here and more importantly the Twitter fandom like it (a lot more people on Twitter than here no offense mainframe). But in terms of Reddit JP fans and Facebook I have seen people share my opinion on not liking it. It is truly one of the weirdest things I have seen.

I think the general audience really likes it across the board though. Bringing back the original actors seems to have the exact affect JW did in terms of people loving it from a nostalgia standpoint. I believe that’s why the RT score is so high. People who don’t even really keep up with the franchise  went in to see OG characters and Dino action and….

that’s exactly what they got for their money. So that equals happy customers. Just my take

Look at the crazy Nostalgia for Top Gun maverick it definitely is a selling point
Back to top Go down
Trexbreakout
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2022 11:57 pm

I thought it was great. My only issue, and I havent seen a lot of people talking about it, is that there is hardly any kill scenes. Nothing to shock or just make you go "holy shit!" like the other films have. I really liked the Dodgson death, but felt it should have gone on just a touch more. I think it lacked that horror element.
Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2022 2:10 am

Trexbreakout wrote:
I thought it was great. My only issue, and I havent seen a lot of people talking about it, is that there is hardly any kill scenes. Nothing to shock or just make you go "holy shit!" like the other films have. I really liked the Dodgson death, but felt it should have gone on just a touch more. I think it lacked that horror element.

Yep, it was too soft on the kills, played it too safe which I think was a bad thing...
Back to top Go down
JD-man
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2022 6:45 am

I watched JWD twice & my overall opinion didn't change btwn the 2 viewings. Basically, this: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 FU0zkknWQAA7U9k?format=jpg&name=medium

Also, this: https://mobile.twitter.com/Tomozaurus/status/1535059461332602880?t=198H8fwpo_33mNqck31wvg&s=07

Also also, I really like Amanda the Jedi's review...:

...& the JWD pitch meeting:

I don't necessarily agree that JWD is "without a doubt, the worst Jurassic movie yet" ( https://gizmodo.com/jurassic-world-dominion-review-chris-pratt-laura-dern-j-1848883641 ), but I do get the reasoning. This quote in particular resonates w/me:
Quote :
The locust thing might even be okay if the whole movie was about it. But the film opens, and closes, with hints of what a unified world blending dinosaurs and humans could be. In fact, the last few shots of Jurassic World Dominion are excellent and make the previous two-plus hours seem small by comparison. By shoving these ideas awkwardly into the film’s bookends, Trevorrow seems to be admitting he knows that’s the movie this could have been. But instead, he tricks you into thinking it’s about that by starting and ending there. The whole structure feels awkwardly slapped together.
There are so many great ideas for "what a unified world blending dinosaurs and humans could be", yet we see very little of that in JWD. I'd especially like to see incidents of large azhdarchids gobbling up kids (shown w/found footage so that it's not too graphic) leading to schools/parks/etc being outfitted w/giant nets (like the ones some golf courses use, but w/roofs). Maybe a bit silly, but so are the JW movies 😉 On a related note, Alteori's "DINOSAUR 2000" review ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jylThNVxHMU ) reminded me of JWD, so here's part of my comment on said review:
Quote :
I'm glad you pointed out the Carnotaurus killing those almost-ready-to-hatch baby Iguanodon & also mentioned Tarzan (which begins w/a leopard killing a cute little baby gorilla). I've been thinking about both movies recently in reference to how disappointing Dominion is: 1 of the best/darkest parts of the JP novels is when the compys eat the baby, yet no kids have ever been eaten in the movies; Dominion had the perfect opportunity to change that w/dinos & pteros re-taking over the world (& thus, conflicting w/humans much more than in the other movies) & wasted it; If Disney can kill off cute little baby characters multiple times, why can't the JP/JW franchise do so even once despite having MUCH more reason to?
Back to top Go down
Amadieus
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2022 7:13 am

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
First 20 mins are pretty decent and I was start to soften. My mistake

One of the worst films I’ve seen in a theater. This was like watching a sick loved one slowly pass on and feel relief when their life ends. I felt that when my grandad died and when I watched Dominions credits roll.

Absolutely atrocious on pretty much every level. Some of the worst dialogue from a blockbuster is found here, the set pieces have ZERO tension and the story is a complete mess. The old mains interaction is like that from a fan fiction.

And Biosyn? It’s run by tim cook. Nothing interesting or inventive with that performance.

This might have worked a bit better as a two partner with competent writers that actually showed some stuff we wanted to see. Such as the 3 years the Dinosaurs actually coexisted with humans and rounding them up, or maybe Dr Wu’s completely unearned change of heart. Oh and only 2 scenes for the trex! And one Is ANOTHER THREE WAY FIGHT, in which Rex loses again! No trex chasing in the final film?

Sorry this is scathing but it’s my review

Hate to be the one to say I told you so...

But I told you all.

Months ago.

The ending will 100% create a backlash or at the very least create a "OH COME ON!!!!...AGAIN?!?!? REALLY?!?" type of reaction.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Back to top Go down
Amadieus
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2022 7:28 am

Dominion is definitely the weakest of the trilogy for me. The pacing in the beginning is off. Scenes come and go way too fast. Due to this the story feels rushed as well. I felt little danger during the movie, I just didn't feel any of the cast was in danger.

The character of Wu was weak in this movie as well. Out of nowhere he changed his attitude and mind. No build up.

Out of nowhere the black market pilot wants to help. Again no build up

Problem with Dominion was that it had too much to tell storywise... What happened during all those years of dinos living among us? What did our characters do? What about Masrani/Ingen?

Sure JW and FK were also not that story driven, but they could do that as the movies and the stories were pretty straight forward. All the stuff that happened during and before Dominion made it so big that it would have been impossible to tell a satisfying story.

I liked the main plot idea and the OG cast did a great job. I'm also glad Blue played only a small role. Cinematography was great as well, just as the set pieces.

Would rate it 6/10. Same level as JP3 for me
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2022 10:38 am

Amadieus wrote:
Dominion is definitely the weakest of the trilogy for me. The pacing in the beginning is off. Scenes come and go way too fast. Due to this the story feels rushed as well. I felt little danger during the movie, I just didn't feel any of the cast was in danger.

The character of Wu was weak in this movie as well. Out of nowhere he changed his attitude and mind. No build up.

Problem with Dominion was that it had too much to tell storywise... What happened during all those years of dinos living among us? What did our characters do? What about Masrani/Ingen?

Let's be honest with this. The JW trilogy suffered from a lack of decent storytelling and THIS was the result. The fact that is relies on those sites to fill in the gaps between JP3 and JW, not to mention in between JW and JW:FK is ample proof of that. No other franchise is so dependent on sites as this one. Then there is the fact that Colin himself wasn't a fan of the Sorna movies, or at least failed to get why JP fans love TLW. The fact it took THIS long for the trilogy to explain what happened to Sorna and it's population when a few basic throwaway lines would have sufficed in one of the last two movies is remarkable, and not for good reasons.

I think it's fair to say that while Colin may not be a bad director, based on how awful JW:FK is and how this movie is basically the JP/JW version of ROS, that he is NOT a good scriptwriter at all.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2022 1:30 pm

I like FK. All the JP sequels are pulp B movies with the JW trilogy up to 11.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2022 4:00 pm

Dr. Wu wrote:

Again, the JP franchise was never supposed to be like that, let alone be brainless action movies which happen to have CGI dinosaurs. It's supposed to be a sci-fi franchise with quite a bit of adventure to emphasize the dinosaurs. And thus it's supposed to be smarter then what it was.

Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2022 4:19 pm

Well, the sequels starting with TLW are more pulp B movies and I understand JP wasn't an B movie, but Spielberg decided to go in that direction for TLW. The JW trilogy is the eventual extreme. You either go along with the ride or not.

Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
The Malone Society

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2022 5:31 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Dr. Wu wrote:

Again, the JP franchise was never supposed to be like that, let alone be brainless action movies which happen to have CGI dinosaurs. It's supposed to be a sci-fi franchise with quite a bit of adventure to emphasize the dinosaurs. And thus it's supposed to be smarter then what it was.

What Jurassic Park was supposed to be was a cautionary tale about abuse of genetic power with dinosaurs being used as a metaphor for its message. The first film is guilty of heavily downplaying and simplifying the novel's themes, instead focusing a lot more on the "awe" factor of the dinosaurs and the effects while making it more of a story for the family by giving Grant an arc where he overcomes his dislike of kids, something invented for the film since his novel counterpart liked kids from the beginning.

The World trilogy was a lot closer to the novels with its themes, but at the same time it did stay true to Spielberg's themes of families sticking together. The film in the franchise that I feel is most like a "brainless action movie" is Jurassic Park III, which only brings up the franchise's themes in a few throwaway lines.

Dr. Wu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2022 6:09 pm

The Malone Society wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Dr. Wu wrote:

What Jurassic Park was supposed to be was a cautionary tale about abuse of genetic power with dinosaurs being used as a metaphor for its message. The first film is guilty of heavily downplaying and simplifying the novel's themes, instead focusing a lot more on the "awe" factor of the dinosaurs and the effects while making it more of a story for the family by giving Grant an arc where he overcomes his dislike of kids, something invented for the film since his novel counterpart liked kids from the beginning.

The World trilogy was a lot closer to the novels with its themes, but at the same time it did stay true to Spielberg's themes of families sticking together. The film in the franchise that I feel is most like a "brainless action movie" is Jurassic Park III, which only brings up the franchise's themes in a few throwaway lines.

Well, they really had no choice but to focus on the dinosaurs considering how Crichton focused on how accurate the dinosaurs were supposed to be. And even then, the movie still succeeded in being much smarter then the typical blockbuster.

TLW was basically a mix between JP and a modern day adventure movie via the original 1925 movie version of The Lost World, King Kong, and One Million Years BC. JP3 is just a soulless piece of crap that wad made for the sake of Uni having a JP trilogy.

The JW trilogy is, for the most part, a dumbed down product that panders to the lowest common denominator and barely has any nuance or thought when it comes to scriptwriting.

JD-man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 12:53 am

Amadieus wrote:

Sure JW and FK were also not that story driven, but they could do that as the movies and the stories were pretty straight forward. All the stuff that happened during and before Dominion made it so big that it would have been impossible to tell a satisfying story.

I liked the main plot idea and the OG cast did a great job. I'm also glad Blue played only a small role. Cinematography was great as well, just as the set pieces.

Would rate it 6/10. Same level as JP3 for me

I agree with almost everything except your rating. I know I’m a broken record but this film being two parts would mitigate so many issues imo. We see two hours of Dino’s in the world directly after FK. We are introduced to Biosyn. We see how Grant, Ellie and Malcolm are reacting to this new Jurassic world. The end of the first part could be this huge locust headed towards crops. It would give the characters and world so much breathing room.

Also I find it weird that nobody likes the beginning. For me the first 20-30 minutes I was legitimately loving it.
Back to top Go down
Indoraptor11
Embryo
Embryo
Indoraptor11

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 12:11 pm

I first saw the movie on 9th June in Sweden (Where i live). The cinema was full packed with people enjoying it and me enjoyed it too. Some of the public even clapped at the end. The pacing felt a little off but nothing important. Some scenes in Malta reminded about "Mission Impossible" but still good. Only downside was that i needed too pee the last 20 minutes but i hold it in. I had bought a big bucket of popcorn and soda so thats why.

Then on 18th June me and a friend saw the movie again. This day i didnt had a big drink but a small and some chocolate. I liked the movie even beter now and there were some moments or things i noticed and had even fun at.

1 Beta was so cute and made funny sounds. Especially that "Kat kat" sound sounded kinda fun and cute.

2 The malta sequence was very cool with the allosaurus and the baby Baronyx and then that cool chase scene on bike and all that.

3 The therizinosaurus was really amazing. Herbevores can be lethal indeed and the noises it did was also kinda creepy.

4 The pyroraptor was really great made. At least we had some feathered dinosaur.

5 The giga was very cool as the biggest dinosaur. I liked the scene where it seems it breathes fire like a dragon.

6 the scene with the mosasaurus and whale meeting each other was very cool too.

Back to top Go down
JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling
JVM

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2022 5:33 am

I logged back in one last time to say I saw the thing after all. I enjoyed seeing the new species on screen as I always do. That's all that's worth saying, nobody cares what my 'score' would be.

Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 3:47 am

2 more reviews I really like by Common Descent...:

...& Deep Time. I haven't watched the whole podcast yet, but this video is a good summation of JWD & its problems. I especially like the Star Wars analogy, which I had never thought of, but makes sense:
Back to top Go down
Minmi
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Minmi

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 4:43 am

Apparently, it's been confirmed that the Therizinosaurus is blind.

Compsognathus
Compsognathus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2022 3:11 am

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
I disagree (and advise being careful) with using the "you did not like it because it did not line up with your fan theories" argument. Because it is dismissive, not always the truth and it is the same attitude Disney has with Star Wars. Their "If you don't like what we did then there must be something wrong with you" attitude borders on gaslighting by sort of implying that their movies were always perfect, fans were just always crazy and or evil.

I am referring to your overall messages. I get people can be dissatisfied because of certain creative decissions, yet you seem to be 100% unhappy. Not to mention the rematch motif.

Sadly, I had a car accident when I tried to see it earlier, so all of my plans had changed. Nevertheless - I have finally managed to see the movie before yesterday. And I was surprised, that I liked it more than previous JW films. It does not mean however it is a good movie. For me it was mediocre+ movie. And before I saw it, I have seen one YT review.

Pros:
- dinos and humans living side by side
- Malta
- Therizinosaur
- CGI works most of the time
- a bit more character arcs than in FW
- EASTER EGGS (has anyone noticed Stego having its dental care?)
- few shots are great
- Dilos and Dodgson Very Happy

Cons:
- you can spot that after 1st act is over, the movie is more and more choppy and has significant amount of deleted scenes
- it drags at times, this really should have been made as 2-parter
- Crichton-esque ideas (clones, locusts, genetics used for other fields) are actually OK, but its depiction in the movie is shallow. And this is something very Trevorrow-ish - ideas that are not properly translated into movie language. Same applies for dialogues
- a lot of missed opportunities when it comes to old crew and new crew coming together
- some characters (Malcolm) are really shadow of themselves. More Chaos Theory, please!
- plotholes
- uneven effects (CGI for Blue at times, animatronics for Dilo)
- no Lex and Tim, no Lowery (although visible on the screen), no plesio, pyroraptor was underused

Can someone please explain to me the timeline and the real events of Lockwood and Hammond falling out, Charlottes and Maisies story etc?

To sum up: I had fun. Despite flaws I find it to be OK.

And there is some spin-off potential. That being said - we really need some extended cuts (again). And really - some major changes on the Universal executives side. Because these are people responsible for hiring Colin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!   Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jurassic World Dominion SPOILER thread!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next