Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

General Movie Discussion

Go down 
+34
Scott B
Sickle_Claw
Dead2009
Rhedosaurus
jericho
Oshronosaurus
Bbrink1996
Levine
TheRexMan22
Spinosaur4.4
Dr. Wu
Tyrant Lizard
HennexForest
DeiXnonychus
Océane
Megaspino2
Aegyptiacus3
V.a.nublarensis
Island Queen
TRK/TrexKing
tigris115
MissDNA
smaugtheterrible
dance2nite
owenpratt
TorQue
TheDreamMaster
JPMalcolmDilo
CT-1138
Mysterious Hero M
GwrChurchward
evolution_rex
Darth Spidey
BobGrill
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 12:09 pm

No. I've heard some good things about it that have gotten me interested.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 6:07 pm

Oh, great. First we have a Tetris movie and now we will get a Tetris TRILOGY.

This will make the Carnosaur trilogy look like the original Star Wars trilogy...

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Ya know...I've just realized something. People on here have said that Legendary wouldnt want Godzilla and Jurassic World to compete against one another due to coming out a few weeks apart...well apparently it didnt bother Disney as The BFG is coming out this weekend 3 weeks after Finding Dory, lol.

Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 12:29 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
Am I the only one interested in seeing 'Swiss Army Man" ?
:p
Not at all, it looks great.

If you're looking for other films with ridiculous concepts that are taken seriously, I recommend Adaptation and Being John Malkovich.

http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 1:03 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
Am I the only one interested in seeing 'Swiss Army Man" ?
:p
Not at all, it looks great.

If you're looking for other films with ridiculous concepts that are taken seriously, I recommend Adaptation and Being John Malkovich.
Thanks I might check those out. 
Have you heard the soundtrack for Swiss army man! There is preview for it here on YouTube. I think it's one of the most interesting things I've ever heard. Even has a Jurassic park theme! 
https://youtu.be/u_Y_7NwuUHg
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 3:17 pm

We have our first image of Colin Trevorrow's upcoming film "The Book of Henry", as well as a synopsis and some words on what to expect from the film from Colin himself:

"“I wanted to do something that scared the hell out of me. An acoustic movie with intense emotion. The challenge was to give an audience the same tension and thrills they get from a blockbuster, but rely solely on story and character to do it.”"

The plot itself concerns two brothers; Peter and child prodigy Henry Carpenter (Jacob Tremblay and Jaeden Lieberher, respectively) who “collaborate on a scheme to rescue their neighbour (Maddie Ziegler) from abuse at the hands of her police commissioner dad.”

Apart from the image resembling something you might find in Super 8, Goonies or The Sandlot; a more mature version of the sort of films that Amblin have made. The presence of an abusive father who is also in a position of power could add a level of darkness to the film that could lead to some strong emotional scenes. Execution will be key.

At most, I can say that Trevorrow has his head in the right place, wanting to exercise some creative filmmaking before jumping up to the big leagues with Star Wars, in which he WILL need his A-game otherwise that fanbse will maul him like a pack of rabid wolverines. Personally, I can never stand it when people actively wish for a movie to critically/financially fail out of spite, you should be cheering for every director to make the best film possible. All the best to Colin, and I hope this is a bona fide home-run.

http://collider.com/the-book-of-henry-image-jacob-tremblay/

9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 11:56 pm

So I saw Purge election year tonight. Kinda disappointed tbh. I would say it's better than the first, but no where near the second. I really hope there is a 4th because the end was not satisfying IMO. 

Also after the movie was over i decided to take the plunge and see Swiss Army man! All I can say is .....
Lost for words. I can't even give a review just yet. But I will say this. I have never seen anything like it and it was bizarre, yet touching in a weird way. If you think the trailers looked good, I recommend you see it. If not stay away lol. It's more of an experience than a movie. Kinda like a drug trip.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 12:58 am

Troyal1 wrote:
So I saw Purge election year tonight. Kinda disappointed tbh. I would say it's better than the first, but no where near the second. I really hope there is a 4th because the end was not satisfying IMO. 

Also after the movie was over i decided to take the plunge and see Swiss Army man! All I can say is .....
Lost for words. I can't even give a review just yet. But I will say this. I have never seen anything like it and it was bizarre, yet touching in a weird way. If you think the trailers looked good, I recommend you see it. If not stay away lol. It's more of an experience than a movie. Kinda like a drug trip.

Least it looks like Swiss Army Man broke the chain. ID4:R, Finding dory, and The Purge all seem to have come up a bit short for you. I may see it, but I doubt I'll get to it in theaters. Next movie for me, whether its in my best interest or not, is Ghostbusters.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 1:22 am

I
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:

Least it looks like Swiss Army Man broke the chain. ID4:R, Finding dory, and The Purge all seem to have come up a bit short for you. I may see it, but I doubt I'll get to it in theaters. Next movie for me, whether its in my best interest or not, is Ghostbusters.
Not so sure I would say that just yet. More experience than movie lol. 

I want to give GB a chance but I just can't.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 11:18 am

Dead2009 wrote:

What JW trailer should have been.

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Dead2009 wrote:

Uhhh no. That's like saying Jurassic World 2 needs to be like an Alien film when it's not a horror movie.

Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Dead2009 wrote:

Uhhh no. That's like saying Jurassic World 2 needs to be like an Alien film when it's not a horror movie.

Uhhh yes.

JP is a sci fi franchise. The trailer felt like an adventure movie. Actually the whole movie felt like adventure and less sci fi. It should feel more sci fi. This trailer there is about a sci fi movie, not horror movie. And I wouldn't mind a JW2 trailer like this one. I rather see JP go to horror than adventure zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 6:17 pm

Jurassic Park is a science-fiction/adventure franchise, you cannot have a JP movie without a sense of fun and adventure. The Lost World and JP3 actually lost sight of the science fiction aspects of the series to explore Isla Sorna and it's inhabitants, but JW tapped into the original classic's Frankenstein roots with the creation of the Indominus Rex as a metaphor for human greed and lust for all things immediate and extreme; bigger, louder, more teeth et cetera.

Having seen the trailer for Morgan, I cannot see myself grafting the scenes from Jurassic World onto the style and tone of the trailer. I've seen decent fan trailers that emphasize the darker side of the film and they're awesome in their own way, but I don't think it's what a general audience at the time wanted. This is not the way I would promote the next Jurassic film; yes the tone should be darker and more atmospheric, but it shouldn't be straight up horror or R-rated territory. It has to walk that fine balance of being an adventure film, being a science fiction thriller and having some horror elements to it. Now that both the GA and the fans have had their fill of a fun, nostalgia-filled dinosaur romp, then the next film can be about going into that particular tone and direction that many of us have wanted it to return to. I'm not saying it can't be done, only that it can be done just as badly as it can be done well.

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Jurassic Park is a science-fiction/adventure franchise, you cannot have a JP movie without a sense of fun and adventure. The Lost World and JP3 actually lost sight of the science fiction aspects of the series to explore Isla Sorna and it's inhabitants, but JW tapped into the original classic's Frankenstein roots with the creation of the Indominus Rex as a metaphor for human greed and lust for all things immediate and extreme; bigger, louder, more teeth et cetera.
I'm going to have to somewhat disagree with this. TLW had an overwhelming environmental science motif throughout the film. In fact, it's to the point where people call it out for being preachy. TLW did not abandon it's scientific roots, it simply took the Man Vs Nature motif from the latter half of the first film, and ran with it, making it the center focus of the second. It naturally progressed from the end of the first film and moved the science of the movies forward.

owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 6:12 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:

Having seen the trailer for Morgan, I cannot see myself grafting the scenes from Jurassic World onto the style and tone of the trailer. I've seen decent fan trailers that emphasize the darker side of the film and they're awesome in their own way, but I don't think it's what a general audience at the time wanted. This is not the way I would promote the next Jurassic film; yes the tone should be darker and more atmospheric, but it shouldn't be straight up horror or R-rated territory. It has to walk that fine balance of being an adventure film, being a science fiction thriller and having some horror elements to it. Now that both the GA and the fans have had their fill of a fun, nostalgia-filled dinosaur romp, then the next film can be about going into that particular tone and direction that many of us have wanted it to return to. I'm not saying it can't be done, only that it can be done just as badly as it can be done well.

I agree with everything. Nice post

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 10:07 am

CT-1138 wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
I'm going to have to somewhat disagree with this. TLW had an overwhelming environmental science motif throughout the film. In fact, it's to the point where people call it out for being preachy. TLW did not abandon it's scientific roots, it simply took the Man Vs Nature motif from the latter half of the first film, and ran with it, making it the center focus of the second. It naturally progressed from the end of the first film and moved the science of the movies forward.

I agree. Anyway, what I'm saying is, they should foccus more on the sci fi subject than the adventure one. We need more scenes and dialogues that are thought provoking.

General audience ruins everything, they want a more adventure trailer bc I bet they're not that inteligent to have a real sci fi trailer that makes you think.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 2:32 pm

Spielberg’s movie, The BFG, is a bomb.

I guess you can say 'The BFG' got hit by a blast from a REAL BFG. Razz

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 2:36 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Spielberg’s movie, The BFG, is a bomb.

I guess you can say 'The BFG' got hit by a blast from a REAL BFG. Razz

Im more then a bit disappointed that Spielberg's most recent movie did not do well at the box office tbh.

Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Spielberg isn't the box office draw he was. He has spent too much time away from blockbusters to have that effect with audiences now. Besides Indy and War of the Worlds most of his stuff the last 15 years is that deeper, more mature stuff he was seeking post-Schindlers List.

And besides Indy I wouldn't expect any of his other films down the pike to be anywhere close to being over 750 million. He just doesn't have it anymore. That isn't to say he can't make good movies anymore though.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 5:18 pm

This is really quite upsetting, it's pretty much impossible to be a Jurassic Park fan and not be a fan of Steven Spielberg, who helped shape our franchise in many, many ways.

I haven't seen "The BFG" yet, I really want to once it hits the UK cinemas, but I would have thought positive word of mouth and families possessing even the slightest iota of awareness of one of the greatest filmmakers still alive would have bolstered it's box office chances. After all this is only the man who created some of our nearest and dearest childhood memories, movies and gave us a slew of classics to cherish alongside the likes of "Wizard of Oz", "Lawrence of Arabia", and "King Kong".

I know it's been sadly proven that Spielberg isn't the box office draw he used to be (and neither is Roald Dhal, even more depressingly), but Disney is now the No. 1 studio on the block, and you think it would have made better business than it did! Makes me wonder how "Ready Player One" is going to fare at the box office, considering it's aimed towards people with 80s nostalgia and memorabilia and could have a sizeable budget. One bomb, the first for Spielberg since "1941", is understandable, but if it becomes more consistent we might end up losing him.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 6:43 pm

Honestly, and this is no offense to Spielberg, I just personally haven't thought The BFG looked all that interesting. Its not about action or anything like that, just didn't seem like something that I'd take much interest in. I don't even know the story behind the film, the book, etc.

Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 6:25 am

Spielberg, at least for this kind of awe-inspiring films, isn't the one of te 70s-80s-90s sadly. That doesn't mean his movies are not good anymore. They are really good, but nothing like what we remember from our childhood.
I hoped The BFG would have been a big return to that kind of movies, but looks like it's not. Still, I haven't seen it, so I could be wrong.

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 2:25 pm

I usually wait for those kinds of movies to come out on TV or at least home release, simply because I'm too old to be sitting in a theater with kids movies, but that's still disappointing. The BFG was one of my favorite books when I was a child, and I was hoping it would have been successful. Though, the fact that The BFG was released right around the highly anticipated release of "Finding Dory" didn't help at all. "Finding Dory" blew away the competition, and is very big with kids. I was at Target yesterday picking up some stuff at the electronics department, which is right across from the toy aisles (I may have also looked at some of the toys, too. Razz - Legos have gotten EXPENSIVE!). Every kid that passed the toy aisles were screaming for Dory toys.

Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 2:31 pm

Like I said before...Disney obviously wasnt too worried with whether or not it flopped because of Finding Dory being out 2 weeks prior. They were confident in Dory being that successful that they were okay with taking a loss because they werent going to lose that much money.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 5:34 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
Though, the fact that The BFG was released right around the highly anticipated release of "Finding Dory" didn't help at all. "Finding Dory" blew away the competition, and is very big with kids.

^That is what most likely crippled any chance the movie had of succeeding or at least making a decent profit. TBH, ever since JP3 when he let Johnston, Horner, and the incompetent script writers had their way and damaged the movie franchise, I've wondered how much of movie making was in Spielberg's heart. The more I think about it, it's amazing we even got Jurassic World at all, more so considering how successful it was financially and washing out the bad taste that JP3 shoved down our throats.

Maybe it's time that he finally retires for good, or least seriously considers it.
Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 5:49 pm

I guess you forgot Lincoln was a hair away from winning Best Picture and was nominated for Best Director iirc not even like 4 years ago. He can still direct. The question is if he should stick to low-gross, critically-acclaimed historical dramas or try to return to blockbusters in some capacity.

If Indy is any good at all we have our answer.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 6:14 pm

Scott B wrote:
I guess you forgot Lincoln was a hair away from winning Best Picture and was nominated for Best Director iirc not even like 4 years ago. He can still direct. The question is if he should stick to low-gross, critically-acclaimed historical dramas or try to return to blockbusters in some capacity.

I don't know if that was the anomaly to what he is now or if that his inner Spielberg of old is still alive. In any case, you're right about Indy being the final answer. That being said, I'm not optimistic by this recent sign.

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 6:57 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Scott B wrote:

I don't know if that was the anomaly to what he is now or if that his inner Spielberg of old is still alive. In any case, you're right about Indy being the final answer. That being said, I'm not optimistic by this recent sign.

It might be an anomaly in the fact that he spent a ton of time in development for it. Years. And Lincoln is really hard to mess up epically because he is such an easy figure to tell a good film about. He also had the good fortune of replacing Liam Neeson, yes he is very epic and super cool but I can't picture him as a convincing Abe, with an even better actor in Daniel Day-Lewis. He made the picture as much as Spielberg. And Steven hasn't had the same casting luck in basically all of his millennium pictures besides that one. He had the trio in Jaws, Ford for Indy, Neeson and Kingsley in Schindler's, Hanks in Private Ryan, his cast for JP, etc. But nothing really has been as fortunate since the 70s-90s when he was at his best.

Gets the right actors for his roles and he is as good as any other director in history. Perhaps he and Christian Bale should get together again, their careers both need a revival of some sort. Lol
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 8:57 pm

So apparently they've made Sulu gay in Star trek: Beyond. http://io9.gizmodo.com/sulu-is-gay-in-star-trek-beyond-and-its-not-a-big-deal-1783271909

More Interestingly, George Takei didn't like this change.

Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 10:37 am

New "A Monster Calls" trailer, directed by J A Bayona:

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/movies/2016/07/13/87024604/

Looks great to me Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   9 - General Movie Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Movie Discussion
Page 2 of 34Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next