Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Unpopular Movie Opinions

Go down 
+18
newLEGACYinc
TyrannoFan
#TRexSpinorematch
HennexForest
Tyrant Lizard
TyrantGojira
Troyal1
K_Ozz92
V.a.nublarensis
Aegyptiacus3
smaugtheterrible
TheRexMan22
Rhedosaurus
TheDreamMaster
Océane
BarrytheOnyx
Dead2009
The Geeky Zoologist
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
The Geeky Zoologist
Hatchling
Hatchling
The Geeky Zoologist

Unpopular Movie Opinions Empty
PostSubject: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 3:34 pm

This a thread where we can thougthfully express our controversial opinions about movies.

Here's some of mine (from the least controversial to the most one) :

- TLW is the best Jurassic Park sequel to date. (Ok that one was quite safe)

- Even if Rogue One is not perfect, it's still a way more respectable and better movie than The Force Awakens which, while having a nice look, is very overrated and feels hollow because it has nothing to offer outside of fanservice. Also I prefer RO over the Return of the Jedi whose second part is not that great (yes, it has to do with these furry balls called ewoks).

- The Hobbit trilogy might not reach the heights of the Lord of the Rings but it's still way better than most of the 2010's blockbusters. Many didn't like it because it took too much liberty with the original book ? JP took way more liberties with its source material than The Hobbit trilogy and people still liked it.

- John Carter is an excellent adventure movie and it's really a shame that it flopped at the Box-office.

- Peter Jackson's King Kong is better than the original. Yes, it takes one hour to arrive on Skull Island but at least the characters are fleshed out and the anticipation of meeting Kong is bigger. I'm sorry to say that but I laughed in front of the original when I shouldn't have (it has nothing to do with the effects but more with the acting of extras and some situations that feels off), on the opposite the 2005 version is one of the rare movies that fills me with emotions.

- I actually like The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and prefer it over The Temple of Doom (Kate Capshaw's character was irritating as hell).
Would I be too daring if I say it was better and more satisfying than JW for me ?

Now you can sue me.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Jurassic Park III was not a bad movie.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Some that popped to mind, maybe think of more later

- Zombie movies are boring
- Comic book movies are boring
- Slasher horror movies are boring
- Pulp Fiction is the least interesting Tarantino film I've seen
- Starship Troopers is unfunny trash (except for Michael Ironside)
- Evil Dead 2 is 'fine' but the original was 100 times better
- Dark Knight is boring and Ledger as Joker is irritating
- Godfather 3 is better than Godfather 2
- I don't "get" Space Odyssey 2001
- King Kong 1933 looks more realistic than King Kong 2005
- Ghostbusters (all versions) isn't particularly funny
- Temple of Doom and Last Crusade are both better than Raiders of the Lost Ark (but which is still great)
- Die Hard 3 is the best of the said franchise
- Alien Resurrection is better than Alien 3 and Predator/Prometheus/AVP films
- Jurassic World is the worst JP sequel and it has terrible fake plastic CGI that looks worse than in 1993
- I hate Daniel Craig both as actor and Bond
- There hasn't been a good Star Wars film since 1980
- Phantom Menace is garbage but Revenge of the Sith and Clones are even more garbage
- Citizen Kane is visually revolutionary but as movie bores me to death
- Spielberg should've retired years ago
- Late 90's was the pinnacle of special effects in movie industry
- 1960's/70's sexploitation movies are for the most part golden
- Arabian Adventure is an amazing film from 1979 that no-one knows exists
- Winona Ryder is my favorite actor

Last edited by Mistral on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 4:27 pm

- I really enjoy Disney's Mighty Joe Young, The Lone Ranger, John Carter and Tomorrowland. All of them flops, and all of them mixed to negative reception, but they are all entertaining in various ways, and bring something different to the live action Disney catalogue.

- The Hobbit trilogy is not as good as The Lord of the Rings, but they get more hate than they deserve. There is still more heart and sincerity behind them than most 2010s blockbusters, and seeing it thrown under the bus to make Fantastic Beasts look good (and Peter Jackson bad in turn) really pisses me off. And I enjoyed Fantastic Beasts, but it's way more of a cash-grab than The Hobbit.

- Congo is a huge guilty pleasure for me, I always laugh at Tim Curry's OTT Hungarian accent and get a kick out of Ernie Hudson's straight man dynamic with the other scientists. I also love the Jerry Goldsmith score.

- I think The Phantom and The Shadow from the 90s are entertaining proto-superhero films with great casting, solid production values and a nice sense of adventure, proving to be pretty faithful to the pulp heroes they were based on.

- Gravity is one of the most overrated movies of the 2010s; the score is an attack on the senses, the characters are idiots, and while the acting and effects are really good, I can never get invested in it.

- Guardians of the Galaxy is overrated and DUMB. At best, I only care about Starlord, Groot and Drax, but Gamora is boring and Rocket is grating. The visual effects for space and the alien worlds are not that impressive. The climax made me face-palm in the cinema.

- I kinda enjoy Spider-Man 3, more than the two Amazing Spider-Man films.

- Maleficent is a TERRIBLE movie and a complete insult to the original Sleeping Beauty.

- Wreck-it-Ralph was a hugely disappointing film for me; the beginning and ending are great, but Vanellope was annoying and unfunny, same with King Candy (great twist though). I'm also not a fan of the focus on Candy Land, when you have other awesome video game worlds to explore.

- I think the changes in the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman make the film more well rounded and watchable, covering up plot holes and fixing characterization to a certain extent; but the theatrical cut is a ruined mess.

Unpopular Movie Opinions Dinosa12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 4:30 pm

All I remember from Tomorrowland is the blatant Coca Cola product placement, you know them drinking coke and pointing to the camera that they need to drink more coke, and more coke. That was a pretty funny commercial I have to admit.

Anyway, moving on
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Not really funny, no. I didn't even REMEMBER there being coca cola in it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Even exiting the cinema that was the only thing I remembered. Guess the marketing worked, at least for me Laughing

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

I dunno, maybe the whole thing with product placement (unless it's REALLY obvious like in most Sony movies) tends to go over my head and I just shrug it off. It's weird. A lot of people had quite a bit to say about the product placement in Jurassic World, and my reaction was along the lines of "Huh??"

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Had to add spoiler tags to that post because it was stretching the page, lol.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 5:04 pm

It's one of those things where I don't really mind too much it happening in the background, but when they shove it into the screen and even dialogue it's bit too much.

And cheers Dead Razz
Back to top Go down
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 9:20 pm

-Thomas and the Magic Railroad is an enjoyable & sweet movie
-Tangled is the best movie to come out of Disney during 2000-Present
-Pretty colors is a valid reason to like a movie (The Good Dinosaur for example)

TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 12:21 am

Mistral wrote:
All I remember from Tomorrowland is the blatant Coca Cola product placement, you know them drinking coke and pointing to the camera that they need to drink more coke, and more coke. That was a pretty funny commercial I have to admit.

Anyway, moving on

Reminds me of Man of Steel, and the Smallville fight. I remember the movie, but I damn well remember the scene where they fight in front of Sears and get slammed through an IHop.

As for Unpopular Opinions:

-Halloween 6, the Producer's Cut version anyway, is a halfway decent Halloween movie despite going completely supernatural.
- Unless revealed later, the problem with The Force Awakens is not it's repetition of A New Hope, it's the lack of explanation for why certain things happen. By that I mean, even Lucas saying Anakin was strong in the force didn't equate him to suddenly realizing mind tricks were a thing, and moving objects with the force, etc.
- Ghostbusters 2016 is a good movie. I liked it.
-Rob Zombie's 31 is his best film since The Devil's Rejects. Wile not a film I loved, I thought it was ok.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 7:29 am

Super Mario Bros. is the greatest 'It's so bad, it's good' movie of all time, if not the 1990's.

Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas is a fun movie to watch.

Godzilla 1998, while not a real Godzilla movie, isn't a bad giant monster movie.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 10:03 pm

I like Transformers ...

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
smaugtheterrible
Hatchling
Hatchling
smaugtheterrible

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 11:59 pm

The Geeky Zoologist wrote:
The Hobbit trilogy might not reach the heights of the Lord of the Rings but it's still way better than most of the 2010's blockbusters. Many didn't like it because it took too much liberty with the original book ? JP took way more liberties with its source material than The Hobbit trilogy and people still liked it.

I really enjoy The Hobbit trilogy. There was definitely stuff (particularly in the 2nd and 3rd ones) that could probably have been cut, and there were also a lot of questionable adaptation decisions and some cringeworthy dialogue, but they're fun movies. I particularly like watching all the special features on the Blu-rays, same as with the LotR films.

The Geeky Zoologist wrote:
- I actually like The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and prefer it over The Temple of Doom (Kate Capshaw's character was irritating as hell).
Would I be too daring if I say it was better and more satisfying than JW for me ?.

I also like KotCS a lot more than ToD, which, in my opinion, is by far the worst movie of the series. Last Crusade is my favorite, with Raiders second, but there are some great moments in KotCS.

Might think of some more unpopular opinions later, but I also like RotJ the best of all the Star Wars movies, even though I acknowledge that Empire is probably the "best" one. And I like the ewoks!
I also generally like the prequels and I've probably watched AotC the most out of those (it's not that bad if you can just laugh through/semi-ignore the Anakin/Padme "romantic" scenes...)

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2017 11:44 am

smaugtheterrible wrote:
I really enjoy The Hobbit trilogy. There was definitely stuff (particularly in the 2nd and 3rd ones) that could probably have been cut, and there were also a lot of questionable adaptation decisions and some cringeworthy dialogue, but they're fun movies. I particularly like watching all the special features on the Blu-rays, same as with the LotR films.

I love the Hobbit behind-the-scenes extra features, they give you such a detailed impression of how the business works... but am mostly bored watching the films itself. The last one, Battle of Five Armies, was downright garbage, while the other two were merely passable to me.

HOWEVER, having said that, I immensely loved the portrayal of Lake Town in Desolation. Maybe because the fact it's (mostly) a real set, and architecture and characters and everything there were so authentic and interesting. Even if it really had almost nothing to do with the books... again...
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Ready To Rumble is a great professional wrestling movie to watch.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 1:16 pm

While people like to compare the Transformers movies to the Pirates of the Caribbean films, none of the Pirates movies even come close to the level of badness in any of the Transformers sequels. As such, I actually like watching them every now and again, more so than even the original Transformers at any rate.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Code:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
- I really enjoy Disney's Mighty Joe Young.

- I think The Phantom and The Shadow from the 90s are entertaining proto-superhero films with great casting, solid production values and a nice sense of adventure, proving to be pretty faithful to the pulp heroes they were based on.

I like the 1990's version of Mighty Joe Young myself. Never could find out why it flopped. It's dark in some places but it has a lot of heart. As for Phantom, that suffered from the fact that it never got a big fanbase here in the U.S.A. since it never really got a major comic book name behind it except for a few flings with DC and Marvel.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

I like the 1990's version of Mighty Joe Young myself. Never could find out why it flopped. It's dark in some places but it has a lot of heart. As for Phantom, that suffered from the fact that it never got a big fanbase here in the U.S.A. since it never really got a major comic book name behind it except for a few flings with DC and Marvel.

I think there were a number of small reasons that contributed to Mighty Joe Young flopping. They were not officially published, but the evidence is in the environment that the film was released, and it becomes a little more understandable when you take them all into account:

a) It was based on a very old stop-motion film that mainstream audiences didn't know or care about. To them it probably just appeared to be another special effects driven creature feature trying to ride the Jurassic Park/Godzilla high.

b) Based on some early posters and trailers, it was originally set for a summer 1998 release, but Disney moved it to December to avoid competing with Emmerich's Zilla. The first trailer indicated a rip-roaring summer film (closer to what it ultimately was), but the next trailer was more "family friendly", resulting in a confused marketing campaign.

c) It was released in an ultra-competitive holiday spot; you had animated films like A Bug's Life and The Prince of Egypt; and FIVE films came out on December 25th that year, including The Thin Red Line and the Robin Williams movie Patch Adams. It probably got lost in the shuffle.

d) For a while, live action Disney films were of a much smaller budget and generally considered "cutesy" and not really mainstream attractions.  Old IP aside, Mighty Joe Young was something of an anomaly with it's darkness, bigger budget, and action set pieces. This was changed of course by the advent of Pirates of the Caribbean, Disney's first PG-13 film not released by Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures.

Back to top Go down
Aegyptiacus3
Hatchling
Hatchling
Aegyptiacus3

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 6:46 pm

King Kong 2005 has some of the best VFX to date and holds up incredibly well

Last edited by Aegyptiacus3 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 6:50 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I think there were a number of small reasons that contributed to Mighty Joe Young flopping. They were not officially published, but the evidence is in the environment that the film was released, and it becomes a little more understandable when you take them all into account:

a) It was based on a very old stop-motion film that mainstream audiences didn't know or care about. To them it probably just appeared to be another special effects driven creature feature trying to ride the Jurassic Park/Godzilla high.

b) Based on some early posters and trailers, it was originally set for a summer 1998 release, but Disney moved it to December to avoid competing with Emmerich's Zilla. The first trailer indicated a rip-roaring summer film (closer to what it ultimately was), but the next trailer was more "family friendly", resulting in a confused marketing campaign.

c) It was released in an ultra-competitive holiday spot; you had animated films like A Bug's Life and The Prince of Egypt; and FIVE films came out on December 25th that year, including The Thin Red Line and the Robin Williams movie Patch Adams. It probably got lost in the shuffle.

d) For a while, live action Disney films were of a much smaller budget and generally considered "cutesy" and not really mainstream attractions.  Old IP aside, Mighty Joe Young was something of an anomaly with it's darkness, bigger budget, and action set pieces. This was changed of course by the advent of Pirates of the Caribbean, Disney's first PG-13 film not released by Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures.

To be honest, if it was released in the summertime, I think it would have done a lot better. Not only that, but it would have given giant monster movie fans something to wash out Emmerich's notorious Zilla movie. Granted, the animated cartoon did that quite well, but even so, the movie had far more heart then Emmerich's movie does. And this is from somebody who still doesn't think that it's a bad giant monster movie. Yes, it would have come across as kind of a King Kong knockoff, but people would have still known what they were getting with Joe, which didn't trick anybody. (Except marketing, but that's not the fault of the movie.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 pm

I feel much the same way as well. Had it come out a few weeks after Zilla, it might have been greeted with a warmer reception and made a bit more money than it ultimately did in December. In fact, I remember seeing a Siskel & Ebert episode on YouTube, in which Gene Siskel asserted that "Compared to Godzilla, Mighty Joe Young is a triumph", even though he thought 'Joe' was average at best it certainly didn't suffer in comparison to Zilla.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 7:24 pm

Aegyptiacus3 wrote:

King Kong 2005 has some of the best VFX to date and holds up incredibly well

That is my favorite King Kong movie as well. TBH, I personally like Son Of Kong better then the original 1933 King Kong.
Back to top Go down
smaugtheterrible
Hatchling
Hatchling
smaugtheterrible

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 11:33 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
While people like to compare the Transformers movies to the Pirates of the Caribbean films, none of the Pirates movies even come close to the level of badness in any of the Transformers sequels. As such, I actually like watching them every now and again, more so than even the original Transformers at any rate.

I haven't seen any of the Transformers movies, but I generally like the PotC sequels (which I suppose could be considered another unpopular movie opinion Razz ). My favorite is the first film, but I also like At World's End a lot. It's incredibly convoluted, and I can definitely see why many people don't like it, but I personally enjoy it. It also has one of my favorite movie soundtracks of all time. The fourth one was kind of disappointing for me, but had some cool scenes. It probably could have been a better movie if they didn't try to make it an adaptation of a book that has nothing to do with PotC.

Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 12:55 am

I might also add that I quite like watching The Phantom Menace.

I mean, it clearly isn't a very good movie, much less a good Star Wars movie, obviously, but, well ... it's better than AOTC, it still entertains me, and the score is one of the best in the world. Not to mention the Podrace scene, Darth Maul, and Qui-Gon Jinn are all very cool.

Except ... Jar Jar Binks ... I can't ...

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 7:11 am

TheRexMan22 wrote:
I might also add that I quite like watching The Phantom Menace.

I mean, it clearly isn't a very good movie, much less a good Star Wars movie, obviously, but, well ... it's better than AOTC, it still entertains me, and the score is one of the best in the world. Not to mention the Podrace scene, Darth Maul, and Qui-Gon Jinn are all very cool.

Except ... Jar Jar Binks ... I can't ...

I like that movie myself too. Not only does it have what I consider the best lightsaber fights-Darth Maul vs. Obi Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn-but it also has a nice exploration angle that gives us a great view of the widelife. Something that I don't think was fully explored in the original movies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 8:36 am

To me Phantom is terrible, but less terrible than Clones AND Revenge for three reasons:
A) The music is great and memorable, in fact one of William's best in all of his career. Meanwhile I only remember one theme from Clones (the love one) and nothing from Revenge
B) There are still real locations and sets and craft used in quite few places, not all is CGI crap
C) Nostalgia for getting hyped up and seeing in theaters as 9 years old

Rogue One is almost as bad as the prequels, mainly because they made just a fan fiction film and didn't even try to come up with new ideas, but because the execution is not as bad I give it a pass and hold it higher. Just about. TFA was almost as unimaginative as well but above for same reasons
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 9:44 am

The Phantom Menace, despite being my 2nd least favorite, is still the last one to not feel "digitalized".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 9:57 am

Yes

Except the gungan-droid battle which looks absolutely terrible
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions   Unpopular Movie Opinions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unpopular Movie Opinions
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next