Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?

Go down 
+8
•Caius•
Tyrant Lizard
SmugTheFab
BarrytheOnyx
Rhedosaurus
Sickle_Claw
Pokesaurus
Levine
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Empty
PostSubject: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 10:27 pm

Personally I would love to the see the Dilophosaur river mating dance be adapted in either Fallen Kingdom or JW3. That scene was always so cool in my mind, particularly because of how nailbiting it was.
Another great scene would be the Carnotaur 'hide and seek' game in TLW with Thorne in the village.
What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Pokesaurus
Site Founder/Owner
Site Founder/Owner
Pokesaurus

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2017 11:30 pm

Looks like we'll be getting one of the most requested elements of the novels, Carnotaurus, in a film after all. Razz

I had always wanted to see Hammond's darker side shown like how it is in the first JP novel. All signs point to Lockwood being a sort of incarnation of that side of him, which I suppose is a good compromise because I did always like film Hammond just being a kind old granddad.

"Creation, is an act of sheer will. Next time it'll be flawless"~ John Hammond, Founder/CEO of InGen
"Don't forget, a believing heart is your magic!"~ Shiny Chariot
Check out our Discord for the most up to date and active discussion!
Back to top Go down
http://jurassicmainframe.com
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 pm

You guys know what I want. Biosyn and dark and edgy Dodgson.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:

I still say that Dr. Wu should be a spy for Biosyn and gets revealed in JW3/JP6.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 12:48 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:

Same here! I've been hoping for months that Ted Levine was a much older Lewis Dodgson, but so far (unless he's using a false name) that might not be the case. Bayona and Trevorrow have read both the Crichton novels, so it stands to reason that they could integrate him as the man orchestrating the downfall of JW.

Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 11:18 pm

*checks off Carnotaurus*
The question is, does it have camouflage capabilities?
Back to top Go down
SmugTheFab
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
SmugTheFab

Location : In my den, rubbing my hands together and laughing maniacally.

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 11:59 pm

Levine wrote:
*checks off Carnotaurus*

I hope so. Tyrant Lizard suggested that's why Blue freaked out in the trailer - she sees the camouflaged Carno before Owen does.

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2017 12:59 am

SmugTheFab wrote:
Levine wrote:
*checks off Carnotaurus*

I hope so. Tyrant Lizard suggested that's why Blue freaked out in the trailer - she sees the camouflaged Carno before Owen does.

To be fair, somebody else came up with that hypothesis. I just piggybacked off of it.

But yeah, that would kinda make perfect sense, and give the Carno a bigger scene.

Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
•Caius•
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 1:44 pm

I read both novels for the first time in the past 2 days and to this I can say I want all of it. I think with the end of JW a couple years away, I'd love to see an R-rated remake that stuck as close as possible to the novels.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2018 11:13 pm

I'm a big fan of the subplot involving dinosaurs migrating into the mainland and being sighted in jungles in Costa Rica, and the costa rican government is trying to cover up their existence. I really wish one of the movies had used this subplot. Now, with the release of Fallen Kingdom, it seems that the movies will go in a different route regarding dinosaurs in the mainland.

I also think that the segment in the first novel where Grant takes down three Raptors in the hatchery using only his wits, a syringe and a few eggs would have made for a really cool set piece in a movie.

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
Thrasher T. Rex
Embryo
Embryo
Thrasher T. Rex

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2018 1:00 am

Mr. Robustus wrote:
I'm a big fan of the subplot involving dinosaurs migrating into the mainland and being sighted in jungles in Costa Rica, and the costa rican government is trying to cover up their existence. I really wish one of the movies had used this subplot. Now, with the release of Fallen Kingdom, it seems that the movies will go in a different route regarding dinosaurs in the mainland.

This was something I also really wanted the new movies to focus on, the idea that the dinosaurs were somehow getting onto the mainland and posing a major ecological threat. From what I understand, that was one idea that kept popping up when they were making Jurassic Park IV before it turned into Jurassic World. I felt that would be staying true to Crichton's original novels and would move the series forward while keeping it grounded. Maybe it'll be touched on in the next movie, though from what it sounds like, the Jurassic World series is taking it down a different path like you said.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2018 12:17 pm

Thrasher T. Rex wrote:
This was something I also really wanted the new movies to focus on, the idea that the dinosaurs were somehow getting onto the mainland and posing a major ecological threat. From what I understand, that was one idea that kept popping up when they were making Jurassic Park IV before it turned into Jurassic World.

That was also one of the original drafts for JP III, where Grant and a team are investigating attacks on the mainland, and it turns out to be escaped Pteranodon.

Can't say I really blame them for not going for it, though. During my idle time waiting for Fallen Kingdom, I tried making a fan-screenplay revolving around that, and couldn't go much further than that concept and a few scenes. It's a cool subplot for a movie, but I don't know if it would work as the main plot in a three-arc structured movie.

You can think of a lot of cool and interesting scenarios of the dinosaurs in the mainland, but what would be the climax, and more importantly, what would be the resolution of the problem? Rounding up the dinosaurs and sending them back to the island would be a rehash of Lost World's ending (not to mention it wouldn't really solve the problem), and the only solution for further escapes would be destroying the dinosaurs and napalming the island, which would be too dark for a Jurassic Park movie (also, it's not an element of the novels that I particularly like). That's what makes me kind of worried for what's gonna happen in the third Jurassic World.

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
Thrasher T. Rex
Embryo
Embryo
Thrasher T. Rex

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2018 3:38 pm

Mr. Robustus wrote:
Thrasher T. Rex wrote:
This was something I also really wanted the new movies to focus on, the idea that the dinosaurs were somehow getting onto the mainland and posing a major ecological threat. From what I understand, that was one idea that kept popping up when they were making Jurassic Park IV before it turned into Jurassic World.

That was also one of the original drafts for JP III, where Grant and a team are investigating attacks on the mainland, and it turns out to be escaped Pteranodon.

Can't say I really blame them for not going for it, though. During my idle time waiting for Fallen Kingdom, I tried making a fan-screenplay revolving around that, and couldn't go much further than that concept and a few scenes. It's a cool subplot for a movie, but I don't know if it would work as the main plot in a three-arc structured movie.

You can think of a lot of cool and interesting scenarios of the dinosaurs in the mainland, but what would be the climax, and more importantly, what would be the resolution of the problem? Rounding up the dinosaurs and sending them back to the island would be a rehash of Lost World's ending (not to mention it wouldn't really solve the problem), and the only solution for further escapes would be destroying the dinosaurs and napalming the island, which would be too dark for a Jurassic Park movie (also, it's not an element of the novels that I particularly like). That's what makes me kind of worried for what's gonna happen in the third Jurassic World.

Oh, I forgot about that draft! That was my favorite of the proposed storylines, because from what I gathered there was supposed to be a mainland investigation taking place concurrently with the island stuff, and I always thought that would be a great way of introducing this new idea.

As for it translating into a movie, it would be pretty tricky, but the route I always envisioned was basically a means of using all the unused material from the novels. In this case, the setup would be cases of dinosaurs ravaging crops and attacking people (maybe not children, if we're keeping with the family-friendly tone the movies had established) and certain experts coming in to investigate. The primary conflict would be the experts discovering that A) the dinosaurs were brought there by Biosyn for some nefarious purpose (new park, animal testing, weaponization, etc), and that B) the dinosaurs pose a massive ecological threat because they lack natural predators. This was the scenario #101 I came up with when I was envisioning this kind of plotline for a JP sequel, but I don't know if this would work as a sequel to Fallen Kingdom. And like you said, the ending becomes problematic because you don't want a rehash of The Lost World with the dinosaurs being rounded up and returned to the islands, and you don't want it to end with the local government or what have you killing them all. And it's not like you can introduce DX because while it would be a great subplot for a movie like this (and would be a less devastating way of killing off the dinosaurs), it would still be a tad too depressing for family audiences.

Like you said, it'll be interesting to see how Jurassic World 3 will handle this. I can only hope it's something that keeps more to this general plotline and not something too over-the-top.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2018 10:30 pm

Thrasher T. Rex wrote:
Oh, I forgot about that draft! That was my favorite of the proposed storylines, because from what I gathered there was supposed to be a mainland investigation taking place concurrently with the island stuff, and I always thought that would be a great way of introducing this new idea.

As for it translating into a movie, it would be pretty tricky, but the route I always envisioned was basically a means of using all the unused material from the novels. In this case, the setup would be cases of dinosaurs ravaging crops and attacking people (maybe not children, if we're keeping with the family-friendly tone the movies had established) and certain experts coming in to investigate. The primary conflict would be the experts discovering that A) the dinosaurs were brought there by Biosyn for some nefarious purpose (new park, animal testing, weaponization, etc), and that B) the dinosaurs pose a massive ecological threat because they lack natural predators.

Huh, that's funny... that's the solution I came up with too when I was brainstorming a way around that for my fan-screenplay: at some point of the story, the protagonists would discover that BioSyn would be behind the events, and the dinosaurs would have been proven "innocent", so there would be no military intervention (but Grant would have discovered at different points in the story that the ecosystem in Isla Sorna would eventually collapse for a lot of different reasons, and the dinosaurs would eventually die out, so the movie would end on a bittersweet note)

Basically, the protagonists would have discovered that BioSyn (including Lewis Dodgson) would have established themselves in the old Embryonics Administration Labs in Sorna, and have been mass-producing all kinds of dinosaurs, including pet Microceratuses and camouflaging Carnotauruses (who would be the main culprits of the mysterious attacks in the mainland, instead of the Pteranodon). BioSyn would have sent from Sorna a shipment containing these dinosaurs to their secret contact in Costa Rica, but a bunch of Velociraptors would have snuck aboard the ship and killed everyone on board, which would allow the other dinosaurs to escape once they reached the mainland into the jungles across Costa Rica. The Raptors sneaking into the boat would be an in-movie explanation as to what killed the crew from the S. S. Venture, and also an adaptation of something from the novels, as the novel raptors were constantly trying to migrate away from Nublar by boarding and hiding on ships.

Back to top Go down
TRK/TrexKing
Administrator
Administrator
TRK/TrexKing

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2018 2:03 am

A Whole Movie based on the novel would be swell. Might work for a TV movie/ series also.

Hatchling
Hatchling
JVM

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2018 8:55 am

I'd still love to see Cearadactylus given a chance; the Pteranodon have always been the iconic pterosaur in the films and Dimorphodon was a nice addition. It'd be cool to see a few more species.

PostSubject: Re: Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?   Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Novel elements you want to be given the 'movie treatment'?
Page 1 of 1