Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Is anybody worried about the franchise future?

Go down 
+24
Spiegel
Oviraptor
Dilophosaurus
lblanc
TyrannosaurTJ
1morey
Mr. Robustus
doyouthinkhesaurus
Six-Foot Turkey
Bbrink1996
BarrytheOnyx
BoulderFaceplant
Sickle_Claw
Dead2009
Spinosaur4.4
Rhedosaurus
Deinonychus
#TRexSpinorematch
Megatron
Frills n Thrills
Tyrant Lizard
Troyal1
Physalisfresser
TheDreamMaster
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 6:28 pm

How so?

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

It's just that their plan is so murky compared to other franchises-the MCU, Star Wars, and even the DCEU, that many of us just have no clue where they are going. I really don't want to be a total fanboy, but at the same time, is it too much to ask for some clues where this franchise is going? Because I don't see that many.

That's kind of what I like about it though. That the future is unpredictable and can go in any number of directions. To me, that's pretty damn exciting, and what makes it better is that it opens the door more all sorts of speculation. I honestly prefer that to a Marvel type situation where you know exactly what's going to happen and how long it's going to take to get there.

Exactly. I don't care what anyone says, I think Sorna has been handled just fine. I really don't understand why people are screaming about it. It would be pretty dull if Jurassic was as predictable and as tame as MCU (one of the dullest franchises of all time, imo).

You do realize that you're in the minority-which is fairly small-on both issues, right?

Dead2009 wrote:
If you honestly think movie studios arent making movies for the casual audience, you havent been paying attention to how any of this works. Hardcore fanbases are and always will be the vocal minority.

Funny, that didn't stop Deadpool fans from fighting for a proper Deadpool movie to get rid of the one from Wolverine: Origins. Nor did it stop Godzilla fans form forcing Sony to kill off a sequel. Also, Biollante, one of Godzilla's most memorable foes, was a fan creation via a contest Toho had. The last time I checked, Godzilla was quite more niche then Jurassic Park.

Oh, you did research??? I'm pretty sure many other people find the way they've handles Sorna is A-ok considering the massive time jump from JP3 to 4. Expecting absolutely nothing to have happened to the island in that time is crazy.
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 6:30 pm

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
How so?

Because they aren't treating Sorna like it never existed.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 6:32 pm

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

It's just that their plan is so murky compared to other franchises-the MCU, Star Wars, and even the DCEU, that many of us just have no clue where they are going. I really don't want to be a total fanboy, but at the same time, is it too much to ask for some clues where this franchise is going? Because I don't see that many.

That's kind of what I like about it though. That the future is unpredictable and can go in any number of directions. To me, that's pretty damn exciting, and what makes it better is that it opens the door more all sorts of speculation. I honestly prefer that to a Marvel type situation where you know exactly what's going to happen and how long it's going to take to get there.

Exactly. I don't care what anyone says, I think Sorna has been handled just fine. I really don't understand why people are screaming about it. It would be pretty dull if Jurassic was as predictable and as tame as MCU (one of the dullest franchises of all time, imo).

You do realize that you're in the minority-which is fairly small-on both issues, right?

Dead2009 wrote:
If you honestly think movie studios arent making movies for the casual audience, you havent been paying attention to how any of this works. Hardcore fanbases are and always will be the vocal minority.

Funny, that didn't stop Deadpool fans from fighting for a proper Deadpool movie to get rid of the one from Wolverine: Origins. Nor did it stop Godzilla fans form forcing Sony to kill off a sequel. Also, Biollante, one of Godzilla's most memorable foes, was a fan creation via a contest Toho had. The last time I checked, Godzilla was quite more niche then Jurassic Park.

Oh, you did research??? I'm pretty sure many other people find the way they've handles Sorna is A-ok considering the massive time jump from JP3 to 4. Expecting absolutely nothing to have happened to the island in that time is crazy.

Actually, yes. I did. Very few fans wanted the Sorna population to be wiped out. Or did you not pay attention to the reactions by fans here? Also, many fans on a JP Facebook group I'm on also hated it by quite a large majority.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Dead2009 wrote:

But very few fans wanted the Sorna population to be wiped out. Or did you not pay attention to the reactions by fans here?

I see that as a vocal minority and that most fans are just fine with it because it's actually helping the story progress in the new film.
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 7:12 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Dead2009 wrote:

Actually, yes. I did. Very few fans wanted the Sorna population to be wiped out. Or did you not pay attention to the reactions by fans here? Also, many fans on a JP Facebook group I'm on also hated it by quite a large majority.

A large majority? Any proof of this or are you just exaggerating?
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

Love ya, dude, but you just had to poke the bear, didn't you? Laughing

That being said, since this thread is active again, let's try to keep all discussion of Sorna's handling and any reservations about Universal in this thread. If these things must be discussed, it's probably best to keep them contained to a single thread (much like the spoiler thread) and not let this crap poison the rest of the board.

Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Jpbann10

Last edited by Tyrant Lizard on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

Love ya, dude, but you just had to poke the bear, didn't you? Laughing

Ha! I'm just sick of seeing all the doom and gloom over an island that's not necessarily needed in the story anymore. My favourite island is literally being blown up but I'm not going crazy about it haha
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 7:31 pm

Sorna is mentioned on that website.

But within the films, they are acting like it does not exist and/or is totally irrelevant. I am not saying it is removed from canon, just that these new films do everything they can to act like it does not exist. Wich is true.

By the way, yes most hardcore fans don't seem too happy about how they have handled Sorna.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/

Last edited by #TRexSpinorematch on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 7:32 pm

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
Sorna is mentioned on that website.

But within the films, they are acting like it does not exist and/or is totally irrelevant. I am not saying it is removed from canon, just that these new films do everything they can to act like it does not exist.

I think we'll see when Fallen Kingdom comes out. I'm pretty sure it'll at least get a mentioning during some expositional dialogue.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 7:35 pm

I Hope I am wrong and we get to see Sorna at least once. To many it is as nostalgic as Nublar.

But it seems very unlikely since Universal does really believe the myth that nobody knows or cares about anything in TLW and JP3.

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Ha! I'm just sick of seeing all the doom and gloom over an island that's not necessarily needed in the story anymore. My favourite island is literally being blown up but I'm not going crazy about it haha

Well, since this particular thread has been bumped, I figure it might be a good idea to keep these things contained to this thread, much like we're keeping spoilers contained in the spoiler thread. That way people can still discuss their reservations, but that particular discussion won't end up engulfing the rest of the board.

Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
doyouthinkhesaurus
Embryo
Embryo
doyouthinkhesaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 8:25 pm

If I'm honest I'm not really worried if the franchise or "universe" is ruined. If it happens to end up like Star wars, (which I know is super divisive but imo only the originals, prequels, and EU are canonical.) I'll just ignore the bad movies and use a form of headcanon like I do for things like Star Wars or say Silent Hill. That way I don't have to have the bad with the good and can enjoy the good without having a poor taste in my mouth.

PM me and we'll talk about vidya and movies.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 6:50 am

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
But very few fans wanted the Sorna population to be wiped out. Or did you not pay attention to the reactions by fans here?

I see that as a vocal minority and that most fans are just fine with it because it's actually helping the story progress in the new film.

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

I'd have you know that I'm in a JP Facebook group that's much larger (over 20,000) then this one (many members here are admins/mods of said group) and the amount of people who are unhappy with this and think that this is a bad idea far exceed the good. I'm on 2 other groups and people aren't happy with how Sorna is being treated on those groups either.

I guarantee you, that if this conversation was on JPL, you would be in the minority.

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

Have you thought that keeping Sorna with a dinosaur popuation of some sort is needed to expand the franchise even more via having a cartoon show that takes place in between JP3 and JW? Have you thought about how it might lead to the other islands being explored? I'm not the mainland plot, but not like this.

Let's put it this way, have you paid attention to how fans got outraged over how KK threw out the old Star Wars EU and how she was forced to re-canonize much of it? You can say it doesn't matter, but it does since it only gives Universal the mindset that they can do whatever they want with this franchise.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Bbrink1996
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bbrink1996

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 7:19 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Have you thought that keeping Sorna with a dinosaur popuation of some sort is needed to expand the franchise even more via having a cartoon show that takes place in between JP3 and JW? Have you thought about how it might lead to the other islands being explored? I'm not the mainland plot, but not like this.

Let's put it this way, have you paid attention to how fans got outraged over how KK threw out the old Star Wars EU and how she was forced to re-canonize much of it? You can say it doesn't matter, but it does since it only gives Universal the mindset that they can do whatever they want with this franchise.

Can you ever make a post without mentioning your cartoon idea or Universal/Disney/Spielberg/Kathleen Kennedy?

Literally every post you make will at one point devolve into either of those subjects and it is becoming very, very tiresome to read so please put some effort into the discussion without trying to push your own agendas.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 9:47 am

Bbrink1996 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Can you ever make a post without mentioning your cartoon idea or Universal/Disney/Spielberg/Kathleen Kennedy?

Literally every post you make will at one point devolve into either of those subjects and it is becoming very, very tiresome to read so please put some effort into the discussion without trying to push your own agendas.

Bbrink please don’t call out other users if you have problem. Send one of us a PM and we’ll handle things.

I’ll reiterate, since I’m even the one that started this thread, we all have ideas for this franchise and things we’d like to see. I think we can civilly discuss this, but can we leave the studio/producer/director bashing out of all of it for a while. Discussing an idea for a Cartoon here I’m fine with in this or a relevant thread, but anywhere else just because it is what you want, doesn’t really need to come up. I’m not singling any person out here, we are all passionate fans of this franchise. However, we need these agendas being pushed to stop.,

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 12:19 pm

I think we should start a poll here so i can see for myself haha
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

I'd have you know that I'm in a JP Facebook group that's much larger (over 20,000) then this one (many members here are admins/mods of said group) and the amount of people who are unhappy with this and think that this is a bad idea far exceed the good. I'm on 2 other groups and people aren't happy with how Sorna is being treated on those groups either.

I guarantee you, that if this conversation was on JPL, you would be in the minority.

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

I believe that you've seen lots of people upset with it, but I find it hard to believe that a majority don't like it because MANY fans aren't as vocal and in order to determine if the majority of the fanbase are disappointed, you'd need to ask all fans, not just a few.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 1:12 pm

The actual reason Sorna was "soft-decanonized"/"pseudo-retconned" is because having two different islands with dinosaurs where different movies took place is unnecessarily complicated to the general audience. There's even a meta joke about that in JP III, when both the Kirbys and Udesky get the two islands mixed up when recruiting Grant. Also, as important as some of the events in TLW and JP III are to the lore, the general audience doesn't really remember those two films, because A) they weren't that huge of a hit when they came out, and B) there's a 14 year gap between JP III and JW.

It's kind of disappointing as a fan of the franchise, but I totally get the reason why these new movies don't reference the events of the old sequels. And I personally don't take those accompanying websites too seriously, because I know deep down that they write their ways around the movies, and not the other way around. It's entirely possible (even likely) that Fallen Kingdom and Jurassic World 3 will contradict the information on those sites, in either small or big ways.

Heck, some of the ways the sites try to connect the two movies are really silly. I mean, supposedly ALL of the Sorna dinosaurs were transported to Isla Nublar, and ALL of them (including the Spinosaurus and an indefinite number of T. rex) conveniently died for non-disclosed reasons in-between movies? I don't know, I think it's much easier to accept that it's all just been retconned. After all, the Jurassic Park franchise is not a stranger to retcons. It's easy to forget, but Isla Sorna's existence is by itself a really big and silly retcon, if you think about it.

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 12:30 am

So here's a thought:

We have no idea how JWFK is going to do. The last movie we thought would be modest, and it became a giant. I'm not sure if I believe that'll happen here again or not. That said, Universal seems to have their sights firmly set for the third film already, announcing a release date, bringing Trevorrow back, etc. The general public doesn't seem to care too heavily on reviews, but reviews so far are...not high.

If JWFK underperforms though, what happens? Based on mild spoilers, this film could technically end the franchise without another sequel anyway. We know based on contracts, Universal only has rights for another film (though negotiations can happen and they may go back for the rights after.), so they'll probably be looking to use that regardless. But do they drop Trevorrow much like Star Wars did? Do they allow Trevorrow to direct but give writing duties to another team (since Trev/Conolley seem to be pretty hit or miss.)? And then if we end up with another film with a slashed budget, I hope they keep some of these animatronics around because building new ones will go out the window. I mean in terms of directing whatever happens here can't be directly based on Trevorrow, but script problems can.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 12:39 am

I certainly don’t believe the plans for JW3 will be changed in any meaningful way unless the film is some sort of total bomb. I think Universal sees Colin as the man making them lots of money and they will let him do whatever he wants.

I really do wish he’d step back and not do JW3 though. That’s honestly killing my hype.  Even if fallen kingdom is garbage, atleast we know it’s shot very beautifully.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 12:44 am

Troyal1 wrote:
I certainly don’t believe the plans for JW3 will be changed in any meaningful way unless the film is some sort of total bomb. I think Universal sees Colin as the man making them lots of money and they will let him do whatever he wants.

I really do wish he’d step back and not do JW3 though. That’s honestly killing my hype.  Even if fallen kingdom is garbage, atleast we know it’s shot very beautifully.

Very true. I also feel, similarly to JJ Abrahms now directing SW9, Trevorrow kind of...missed a step. Like, had he been directing this film, I would hope it still had all these animatronics and the cinematography was decent and such. I mean, the original Star Wars trilogy had varying degrees of success with different directors for each film, but I think it'd be a better option than potentially just making an uneven trilogy. Unlike some people, I don't really hold anything against Trevorrow. I actually like Safety Not Guaranteed, I think JW is competently made with a bit too much CGI but a mediocre script, and I haven't seen Book of Henry. I'd almost rather have Trevorrow direct with a new writing team on the script honestly. Though I guess how he sticks to said script would have to be seen since so far he's basically been directing work he and Derek Conolley wrote.

Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 am

I think new writers is a must considering the reviews for Fallen Kingdom.
Back to top Go down
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 10:01 am

Mr. Robustus wrote:
The actual reason Sorna was "soft-decanonized"/"pseudo-retconned" is because having two different islands with dinosaurs where different movies took place is unnecessarily complicated to the general audience. There's even a meta joke about that in JP III, when both the Kirbys and Udesky get the two islands mixed up when recruiting Grant. Also, as important as some of the events in TLW and JP III are to the lore, the general audience doesn't really remember those two films, because A) they weren't that huge of a hit when they came out, and B) there's a 14 year gap between JP III and JW.

It's kind of disappointing as a fan of the franchise, but I totally get the reason why these new movies don't reference the events of the old sequels. And I personally don't take those accompanying websites too seriously, because I know deep down that they write their ways around the movies, and not the other way around. It's entirely possible (even likely) that Fallen Kingdom and Jurassic World 3 will contradict the information on those sites, in either small or big ways.

Heck, some of the ways the sites try to connect the two movies are really silly. I mean, supposedly ALL of the Sorna dinosaurs were transported to Isla Nublar, and ALL of them (including the Spinosaurus and an indefinite number of T. rex) conveniently died for non-disclosed reasons in-between movies? I don't know, I think it's much easier to accept that it's all just been retconned. After all, the Jurassic Park franchise is not a stranger to retcons. It's easy to forget, but Isla Sorna's existence is by itself a really big and silly retcon, if you think about it.

To be fair, given that the population on Sorna dropped due to InGen creating the 4 illegal species, we can't say for sure which dinosaurs did or did not get transported (other than the four new species, Mamenchisaurus, Pachycephalosaurus, Stegosaurus, and Parasaurolophus)
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 10:04 am

The irony of it all is that Trevorrow is now one of the most popular people among the Star Wars fandom since he was the one that told Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson not to ruin Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi and was fired for it.

Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 11:04 am

The writing duo for Jurassic World 3 doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Not only is Trevorrow returning (nothing against him, but he really needs a good proof-reader), but he is joined by Emily Carmichael, which, while a big fan of the franchise herself, her only work of note is writing Pacific Rim: Uprising, one of the worst sequels in recent memory. Although to be fair to her, there were three other writers credited for that movie, so the bad parts might've not been her fault.

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 11:07 am

Mr. Robustus wrote:
The writing duo for Jurassic World 3 doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Not only is Trevorrow returning (nothing against him, but he really needs a good proof-reader), but he is joined by Emily Carmichael, which, while a big fan of the franchise herself, her only work of note is writing Pacific Rim: Uprising, one of the worst sequels in recent memory. Although to be fair to her, there were three other writers credited for that movie, so the bad parts might've not been her fault.

Apparently, the script in Uprising was a completely different one from what she wrote. She wrote an entire draft that featured Charlie Hunnam's character and since he had to leave the project, the script had to be re-written.
Back to top Go down
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2018 8:29 pm

If you would have asked me a decade ago where the franchise should go I probably would have told you a television series with a plot buildup that started like TLW novel and film (to a point) with a team researching and care taking the animals on Sorna to a build up and ending with that same team's success pushing them to trying to put together a more secure biological preserve together sort of like a half JP/JW kind of hybrid except without the approach of selling the dinosaurs as a product of entertainment and selling them in from a conversationalist point of view.

I played with this idea a lot while I was in my teens and well into my adulthood before I realized that I was basically writing a sequel to JP3 just for me and a select few. That's kind of the paradox of fandom, when you care so much about the material you write your own ending and get turned off to any idea or anything of that sort that is different from that or even borrows a little bit from it. So needless to say I feel a lot of my embitterment towards the franchise in the post 2014 time frame was actually because I knew I would never see this played out with the announcement of Jurassic World. I had invested myself more in something I wanted to see than just merely being open to additional material to the franchise and I think that's why a lot of us (in a certain sense) are still embittered because of this fact.

When JW came out and it made the creative choices it did the film itself basically flipped over the table in a sense of all the ideas we had contributed and brought together in the near decade since JP3. So that problem is what I think the fandom's ultimate problem with the new trilogy is. It's taken me a while to honestly come to terms with recognizing this fact and working it back so I can remain open to the franchise's future. I do have some worries though, it's mostly about how it's getting all tied together and how it functions as a complete story with book ends. I still want something done with Sorna, but the way the viral and supplementary media is going with it is that the island was pillaged and the animals were mostly taken off. That caused an ecological collapse of some kind. I still hold out hope that Sorna will be restored though as that isolated lost world we had in place in both TLW and JP3 respectively though however. It's a nice fantasy and something to day dream lazily about I admit.

Outside of all that my only real legitimate concerns aside from "dotting the I's and crossing the T's" is that Trevorrow minimizes the whole use of over played and over used cliches. I am a bit concerned about him getting removed from the SW9 production, but then again I consider his success a stroke of luck in this case. I just hope him working with Bayona helped Trevorrow with the ability to hone the director and script writing craft in a positive. These I feel are just reasonable concerns though, basically "JP6/JW3 needs to be good!" kind of thing.

"So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again." - Corrax Entry 7:17
Back to top Go down
http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
lblanc
Embryo
Embryo
lblanc

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2018 6:08 am

I already alluded to what I’d like to see from JW3 on another thread but I’ll give it a bigger overview here of what I think would work.

Spoilers of course for those who haven’t seen Fallen Kingdom.:
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2018 6:21 am

lblanc wrote:
I already alluded to what I’d like to see from JW3 on another thread but I’ll give it a bigger overview here of what I think would work.

Spoilers of course for those who haven’t seen Fallen Kingdom.:

:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is anybody worried about the franchise future?    Is anybody worried about the franchise future?  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is anybody worried about the franchise future?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next