Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Mosasaurus size

Go down 
+2
Mosasurfus
1morey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

Mosasaurus size Empty
PostSubject: Mosasaurus size   Mosasaurus size Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 6:49 pm

So, I think that whoever runs the DPG website did a similar method that I did to come up with the Mosasaurus' size.

I had read the Mosasaurus card when it was revealed on their Facebook page, but I didn't really memorize it. The other day, I was really bothered back when JW was out, people said the Mosasaurus was astronomically huge (Especially claims that it was 667 feet long, which someone screwed up somewhere in their math).

Anyways, I was telling a friend, my best estimate for the Mosasaurus' size, using the Indominus rex as reference.

When the Indominus rex eats Nick, you can see that half his body is in the I. rex's mouth (with some space at the back of the jaws and of course the back of the head.)

Eric Edelstein is 6' 4'', so I estimated that the Indominus rex's head was roughly 6-7 feet long total.

When the Mosasaurus snatches the Indominus, while never given an exact side by side, reference, I could see that the Indominus rex's head length matched a good portion of the Mosasaurus's head, so the Mosasaurus' head was over 7 feet long.

I looked at a still of the Mosasaur eating the Pteranodon and Zara. Katie McGrath is 5' 6'', and since a person's arm span is 1/1 with a person's height, and using her exposed arm as a measuring tool, I concluded that the entire Mosasaur's head was roughly 10 feet long at the minimum, and twelve feet as the maximum.

I looked at this image:

Mosasaurus size Mososaurus_hoffmanni_size_by_harry_the_fox-dc87cv7

It states that the Mosasaurus in the image has a 1.7 meter long head, and a total length of 15 meters. I applied the same proportions to the Jurassic World Mosasaur with my own measurements (using my minimum of 10 feet for the head, ergo 3 meters):

1.7/15 = 3/x

X = 26

Ergo, according to my measurements, the Jurassic World Mosasaurus is 26 meters long.

The Dinosaur Protection Group officially states that the Mosasaurus is 25.9 meters. (So, canonically, the Mosasaurus is roughly 85 feet (84.97 feet to be exact.))

I was off by a tenth of a meter. This may be coincidence, but I was pretty dang close.

Of course, this is still a monstrous size, but I was actually surprised how close I was to the canon material (Again, I did not completely read its bio card, so I was originally assuming I'd get something in the low 70s range.)
Back to top Go down
Mosasurfus
Embryo
Embryo
Mosasurfus

Mosasaurus size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mosasaurus size   Mosasaurus size Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 5:44 am

Good job on the math! I hope we get to see more of the Mosa in JW3!
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

Mosasaurus size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mosasaurus size   Mosasaurus size Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 8:31 am

My friend estimates it at 40+ meters based on comparisons I don't know about. It's possible that the Mosasaurus changes size from scene to scene. You should use scenes from JWFK to see if these calculations hold up.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

Mosasaurus size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mosasaurus size   Mosasaurus size Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 10:49 am

I think there's even an interview with ILM for the first Jurassic World where they admit it doesn't have a consistent size throughout the movie. Kind of like the Brachiosaurus in the first Jurassic Park.

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

Mosasaurus size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mosasaurus size   Mosasaurus size Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 10:51 am

Yeah it seems quite a bit smaller when it attacks the indominus compared to the rest of the movie. Looks better too imo. The CGI in that last tracking shot really is amazing.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

Mosasaurus size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mosasaurus size   Mosasaurus size Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 6:16 pm

That would make as large as the largest bull sperm whales and slightly smaller then what most blue whales get.

It makes you wonder how it would do in a fight against a giant squid.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mosasaurus size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mosasaurus size   Mosasaurus size Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mosasaurus size
Page 1 of 1