Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently?

Go down 
+3
CT-1138
NikoRex
Nathanoraptor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Nathanoraptor
Embryo
Embryo

How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently? Empty
PostSubject: How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently?   How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2018 2:07 pm

So, we’ve done a lot of talking about the Jurassic World duology since Fallen Kingdom’s release and it seems that everyone is decently content but left with a few pitfalls or questions.  So, let's say, if you were somehow given the chance, what would you do differently and how? I'm just curious about thoughts and opinions.

Here’s what I would do.

Jurassic World:
- I'd have the Indominus rex use some of its abilities more frequently. Also, instead of the creature being publicised as the new star attraction of JW, it would be the result of a secret project being developed by InGen, foreshadowing the sequel. Hoskins would also secretly stage the I-rex's escape, as a "field test".
- Mills would also explicitly be the man behind Hoskins and Wu; he wouldn't appear physically or be named, but Hoskins and Wu would contact him at two separate points. The first time is after the I-rex's escape, in which Hoskins contacts Mills and tells him that the I-rex's escape was a success and that Hoskins will inform him of further updates.
- I'd have Quetzalcoatlus appear alongside the Pteranodon and Dimorphodon in the pterosaur sequence. I'd also add a couple more marine reptiles to go alongside the Mosasaurus; at least one species of plesiosaur and one species of ichthyosaur.
- The raptors would turn on Owen, but in a bit more of a nuanced way, rather than siding with the the I-rex; I think the Indominus worked better as a solo threat. Instead, the raptors attack the Indominus and... it doesn't go well for them. During the fight, Charlie is killed and, after she dies, the other three raptors flee into the jungle, abandoning Owen, who they see as having betrayed them. The I-rex then kills its way through the InGen mercenaries and chases the van (call back!) with Claire and the boys in it, before they manage to escape it.
- Hoskins' death happens the same way, although his dialogue is changed; he sneers at Owen and Claire that he wasn't working alone and that they can't stop what his benefactors have planned. His last words to them are "the next phase has already begun", foreshadowing the Indoraptor.
- The ending is pretty much the same as that of the actual film; Delta and Echo are killed by the I-rex, Claire releases Rexy and Rexy and Blue team up. However, there would be a post-credits scene, where Wu is on the phone to someone; as stated above, this person is Eli Mills. Wu comments that the I-rex was, ultimately, a failure and that there are things he needs to fix for "Phase Two"; all he needs is a sample of the I-rex's DNA. The last lines of the film are spoken by Wu, "Oh, don't worry about time; I have all the time in the world."

For Fallen Kingdom:
- I’d replace Franklin with Lowery. Considering he was an employee from Jurassic World, knows Claire, and is compassionate towards the dinosaurs, it would make much more sense for him to come back and join the DPG, and he can do anything that Franklin can; also, Franklin was kind of annoying. He could be a more sarcastic comic relief, and it would be really fun to see him join in on the action and interact with the dinosaurs, considering he spent all of Jurassic World inside the Control Room.
- Another big change would be to Lockwood's character. Instead of being "Hammond 2.0.", he'd be a bit different; he wouldn't be a villain per se, but he'd have done a lot of morally ambiguous stuff in the story; some of which Wu would reveal in a monologue. However, he wouldn't be entirely heartless; the reason why he plans to transport the dinosaurs to the island preserve is because he feels that he has a responsibility to his creations.
- The next big change would be to add hints at non-Mesozoic extinct creatures, to set up future spin-offs/sequels.

• Dodos would appear, infrequently, throughout the film, serving as the film’s “comic relief”; basically, adding some levity at dark, suspenseful or depressing moments.  More specifically, the dodos would be among the animals on Nublar and would be a subversion of the common portrayal of dodos as stupid and passive… these dodos are, instead, stupid and violent.
  • Dimetrodon appears amongst the Nublar animals being auctioned at Lockwood Manor and escapes with everything else.
  • A Brontoscorpio provides a “cat scare” for the submarine pilots in the opening, swimming out of the Indominus’ eye socket, before the Mosasaurus shows up. A Cephalaspis would appear in a tank in the sub-basement lab and Dunkleosteus would be among the DNA vials in Wu’s briefcase.
  • When Maisie is exploring the laboratory, she listens to one of Wu’s audio journals, in which he states that he has successfully grown a Paraceratherium embryo to term in an artificial uterus. A pygmy Columbian mammoth would also appear in the lab and would escape with everything else.
  • Smilodon DNA would also appear as one of the DNA vials in Wu’s briefcase.

- Instead of eleven species, a seemingly random number (which the film contradicts), Mills says that he and his team can save at least fifteen species; the number of species present on Nublar in Michael Crichton’s novel. This would remove any inconsistency with the numbering, as Mills states that fifteen is the lowest possible estimate.
- Make the volcano more accurately dangerous, and by extent, remove the more over-the-top scenes like Owen surviving a pyroclastic flow, and Baryonyx shrugging off lava to the head.
- I’d show a little bit more of Jurassic World's ruins. We never got to see much of the park itself in the first place, and Fallen Kingdom kind of skims over the ruins of the park, when I think there would be a lot of pathos in the reveal of the destroyed park.
- The scene with Maisie in the lab is a little longer and is basically a self-indulgent world-building sequence; Maisie plays through several of Wu’s audio journals, before finding the “Owen with baby raptors” video. She also encounters the pygmy Columbian mammoth and the Cephalaspis.
- Tone down Owen's action-hero stunts, including his overlong fight in the auction with the henchmen. Actually, tone down Owen in general.
- When the Indoraptor is being auctioned, Wu storms off in disgust and later meets up with Owen, Claire and Maisie in one of the labs (not the same one Zia, Lowery and Blue are in), where he gives a monologue about Hammond and Lockwood’s partnership. After Hammond died, Lockwood contacted Wu and offered funding for Wu’s continued efforts; Lockwood had him create, amongst other things, the Indominus rex. After the end of the monologue, Wu turns to Maisie and says “But he always considered you his greatest success”; it is he who reveals the truth behind Maisie’s origins. After revealing this, Wu also tips Owen and Claire off to the existence of the Indoraptor, before leaving in order to “pursue some personal projects”.
- The auction would be messed up by having all of the dinosaurs being released and causing havoc and destruction in the auction, similar to the monsters in Cabin in the Woods. Naturally then, there would be no "hydrogen cyanide threatening the dinosaurs" on this version.
- Considering Wheatley spent the whole movie mistreating Nublar's dinosaurs, I, personally, think a more karmic death for him would be to be killed by one of the herbivores. During the stampede, he hides from the approaching dinosaurs behind a pillar, before an attack from a dodo drives him back into the open, where he bumps into the Stegosaurus he pulled a tooth from, which impales him on its tail spikes. In this version, the Indoraptor would instead be freed by Mills as a last resort after the auction goes to hell, and he would sic it on Owen, Claire and Maisie using the laser gun.
- Since in this version there would be no cyanide hydrogen scene, and Mills just sets the Indoraptor on the group in the auction, I would rewrite all of the final scene after Blue kills the Indoraptor: after the Indoraptor's death, instead of running off, Blue stays, and Owen, Claire and Maisie go down to the main hall, finding Zia and Lowery waiting there already. Owen approaches Blue and the scene plays out much like their final scene in the movie (but in the main hall instead of the outside of the mansion). Blue runs off through the mansion's doors, and the group follows her out of the mansion. Owen watches from the steps as she gives one last call before disappearing into the woods. The group stays watching for a few seconds, when suddenly they are surprised by Mills (who is holding the Indominus bone), accompanied by two of his armed men. Mills demands for Maisie to come with him on his car, and the main characters refuse to let him have her. This is the time he would have a rant about how you can’t stop what’s going on. In the middle of the monologue, Lowery notices some puddles in the ground (made by the rain) rippling; however, when he tries to warn Mills, he is told to shut up. Mills’ final words would be "you are gonna go back in time before Hammond decided to play God? You can't put it back in the box!"; suddenly Rexy blindsides his men (instead of the Indoraptor, like in the original movie) and kills them. The main characters look for cover, with Maisie getting separated from the others and hiding below Mills's car. Mills follows her and tries to push her out from under the car (like in the Lost World novel), when suddenly Rexy pulls Mills from under the car and kills him, plays tug of war with the Carnotaurus before scaring him off, gives her roar, and smashes the Indominus bone before going to the woods. Maisie watches her stomping off in amazement, holding closely her toy T. rex from the Jurassic Park diorama. Then, there would be a transition to the ending montage, like in the actual movie.
- In the ending montage, we see Wu opening his briefcase; there are DNA vials from many different species (including some yet to appear in the franchise, such as Smilodon and Dunkleosteus)… and a tissue sample from Blue.

What would you do?

Albertosaurus likes this post

Back to top Go down
NikoRex
Embryo
Embryo
NikoRex

PostSubject: Re: How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently?   How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 6:04 am

In Jurassic World:

Change the Indominus outbreak: I believe, there is a much more clever way for the Indominus to escape. I tought this "It set a trap, to lure us in" routine was a little bit too much. Also, Claire should have know, that she's basically much more safer in the little viewing platform, than outside in the jungle, where she could had confronted the I.rex.
The ACU approach: It's one of the worst scenes in my honest opinion. Instead carrying tranq guns, they go with cattle prods, elecronic tazers and net guns on the hunt the I.rex. Come on, they could sedate the Pachy with carfentanyl, but not a highly dangerous theropod? After Hamada got killed, they desperatley tried to fight off the I.rex, instead fleeing in terror. I would change that. I would show them with more logical weapons and how the the ACU's getting ripped apart, after you see them fleeing and trying to escape but in the end failed.
The explanation of the Indominus behaviour: I would cut almost every line Owen made about how the animal is that much hyper intelligent (as stated above with the "trap") Instead of "it set those clawmarks for distracion", the Indominus just tried to climb the fence to escape (I mean ACU told them to build the walls higher, so they've might saw it)
it didn't remove the tracking implant, because she remembered it, the thing zapped her all the time and she clawed it out.
Give Hamada a bigger role: I guess I'm the only one that thinks so, but I love his little mamushi snake story. It would be so much foreshadowing.
But I would do many scenes like you Nathanoraptor. The Quetzacoatlus on mainstreet would be so awesome and terrifying: Shot at the mainstreet: we see a giant shadow from above. Then we see the giant pterosaur in the air gliding, landing on the street and picking some park guests and gulping them.

About JWFK: I would do it kinda the same way just like you, only difference, that I would change the "Indoraptor as a weapon for war" to "an attack dog for a drug dealer" (just like Raphael in the Raptors comics). I always found that war concept outlandish. There are so many factors that wouldn't work with an animal being tossed in a war e.g. getting shot by enemies, recognizing solidiers with civilians and knowing your allies. Not to mention to feed it and give a propper shelter.
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently?   How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 10:08 pm

Some of the ideas my friends and I came up with usually revolved around Sorna. Most notably, either a poaching plot line, a mainland plot line, or a research plot line. The last one was the one I had fleshed out the most in my head. It basically would have used every unused scene from the second novel, and many from the first novel: extra exploration of the Labs compound, more research of the dinosaurs, discovery of the DX virus, Raptor motorbike chase, dilo mating dance, Rex river chase, the Carnotaurus in the Village, stuff like that. It would have been a film less blatant with the antagonist (no Hoskin types monologuing about their evil plans), and would have returned to nature being the primary driving force of conflict. It would have spread some seeds of InGen (a now defunct company) being a bit darker in nature; an idea among the fandom that first sprung up about the company in the wake of JP///. Isla Sorna would have been given preserve status as John Hammond's dying wish, forcing the main cast to sneak onto the island via boat. The cast itself would have been the unused novel characters:

-Medical doctor Roberta Carter, who was there on behalf of the Costa Rican government, hoping to find the source of a new disease cropping up in the coastal villages. Later in the movie, it would be implied this disease was the prion based DX, which was transferred to humans when escaped Compies bit them.
-Biologist Marty Guitierrez, who works for the Costa Rican government and who recruited Roberta Carter
-Howard King, a coward and a double agent working for a mysterious third party - aka BioSyn. This would lead into the possible sequel, which would involve BioSyn poaching Isla Sorna, trying to clone healthy dinosaurs for various uses like a safari preserve and animal testing.
-Ed Regis, an ex-administrator at InGen. Since the company is now defunct, he is free of all NDA agreements. He is there because he has access codes that would be helpful.
-Arby Benton, Roberta Carter's young lab assistance and nephew. He gets to experience "the cage", like his novel counterpart. Twisted Evil
-Jack Thorne, owner and manager of Thorne Field Equipment. He's basically a carbon copy of his novel counterpart.
-George Baselton also a copy of his novel counterpart, sans the InGen connection. He's a Stanford professor/professional paleontologist is also working for BioSyn and is there to make sure Howard King doesn't get cold feet. He's working for BioSyn to pay off gambling debts that he's embarrassed about.
-Richard Levine is Baselton's promising young assistant. Basically somewhat of a Billy Brennan but with a "rich-kid attitude problem" (Hey, he goes to Stanford!) He doesn't know that Baselton is working for BioSyn and feels conflicted about him when the truth comes out.

Because of the overarching motivator in this movie being DX, it would have been:
How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently? Q1eea5U

It would have had a full arching plot that ended well enough to not require a sequel, but leaves a few strings uncut in the event that one could occur. From there, it would have been the poaching plot line, which I never gave much thought towards. That one was more fleshed out by my friend, ZombieSaurian. However, because the poaching was leading to extinctions on Isla Sorna, I would have called this one:
How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently? 6SxRU8B

The final movie could have been a mainland plot, but I'm unsure what I would do with it, to be completely honest. Sickle-Claw has a really good fanfic involving the mainland plot, but set in the novel canon. I would imagine it would be a lot like that, with focus on invasive species and the impacts they can have on the environment (dinosaurs, here, being the invasive species). For that reason, I'd probably call it Jurassic Park: Invasion, or something like that.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

PostSubject: Re: How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently?   How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 8:51 pm

Okay, sorry for the thread bumping, but I need to get these thoughts written down.

Jurassic World:
Spoiler:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Megatronus Rex

PostSubject: Re: How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently?   How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2019 7:01 pm

Jurassic World
Spoiler:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuEb77i1zKVDNUSAyk_pZ-A
ChaoticianDrac
Embryo
Embryo
ChaoticianDrac

PostSubject: Re: How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently?   How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2019 4:37 am

I definitely wouldn't make the Indo smaller. The upscale from regular JP-velociraptor is part of what makes it a new species to look at.

Huh what would I change.. def. all issues with inter-film consistency, as mentioned. I would have had more dinosaurs be taken by the Arcadia, including male/female pairs. I would have had some moments in FK where it's made clear how Mills hid the basement operations from Lockwood. Also, the smaller-Indominus theme was started by Hoskins in JW, with Wu asking if the deal is intact; it seems like it was supposed to be a private InGen thing but neither InGen nor Masrani is mentioned in FK... Why did it become his thing? I would have cut out some action or extended the film to give more descriptive set-ups.

The Geeky Zoologist
Hatchling
Hatchling
The Geeky Zoologist

PostSubject: Re: How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently?   How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 8:23 am

Given the title of this topic, I thought I could share with you here the results of a years-length writing project of mine.
Those who frequents the Fanwork hub of this forum might already know this but I worked during these last few years on a novel-form rewrite of the first Jurassic World film and I have today the pleasure to share it as I just finished its translation in English. Here's a couple of links:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-LifMS1J7iPakWCPQQVOG7av4hhb3ibq/view?usp=sharing (PDF version, include maps and appendices)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12945239/1/Jurassic-World (fanfiction.net version)

And now I give you some details:

I. Points of divergence with the lore of Jurassic World films canon

Although it is mainly based on Colin Trevorrow’s Jurassic World and a bit on Juan Antonia Bayona’s Jurassic World : Fallen Kingdom, the amount of changes in story and lore are many.
While there is some elements from the Masrani Global website in this fic, neither the information from the Dinosaur Protection Group website, neither those from Tess Sharpe’s novel The Evolution of Claire, were taken into account, as the writing of this story began in 2016. Below are a few major divergences with the current film canon:
- Spinosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Corythosaurus, and Ceratosaurus were cloned before Hurricane Clarissa.
- The species that were on Nublar during the 1993 incident are the same as those on the original brochure. Thus, when InGen starts building Jurassic World in 2002, there are proceratosaurs, herrerasaurs, baryonyxes, segisaurs living in a feral state on Nublar in addition to Roberta, some dilophosaurs, gallimimuses, compies and parasaurolophuses (the brachiosaurs, the trikes, the stegos, the metriacanthosaurs and the pteranodons fell back in extinction on the island in the meantime however).
- Following agreements in 2002, Masrani has handed the Five Deaths archipelago and all its creatures to the UN via the Costa Rican government.
- The Pteranodon incursion in Canada in late 2001 has forced the UN to take more concrete measures to prevent animals from leaving the Five Deaths and people from trespassing in it. This led to the creation of the Grey Guard, an international military organization backed by the UN and the Costa Rican government and tasked to watch over and protect the Five Deaths. To describe it in a few words, think the French Foreign Legion meets the Night's Watch from GOT.
- Since the Five Deaths are protected by the Guard, its ecosystem doesn't collapse because of external influences and by the mid 2010's, there is still a healthy feral population of dinosaurs in the archipelago that is studied by scientists.
- In accordance to the 2002's agreements, the Grey Guard has also a garrison on Isla Nublar in order to help with the security of Jurassic World. In the story, they fill the role that the ACU has in Colin Trevorrow's film but have a much bigger presence and impact.
- InGen's current CEO is Benjamin Lockwood, who had succeeded Peter Ludlow after the latter's death and had been a member of its board of directors since the 70's, even after his dispute with Hammond in the early nineties. But since a few years, some health issues prevents him from totally controlling the company and InGen is actually managed by its vice-president. Lockwood himself doesn't appear in this story but he is mentioned.

II. A duology

As you will see if you open the PDF, the story is divided into two parts or books, named The Edge of Chaos and The Fallen Kingdom. As each of these books is as long as the original Jurassic Park novel by Michael Crichton, this duology has enough material for two 3 hours plus long films or a single season of eight to ten episodes.

The Edge of Chaos:

After twelve years of existence, the theme park Jurassic World on Isla Nublar is thriving and a major family destination as it houses dinosaurs and other prehistoric species brought back from extinction thanks to breakthroughs in genetics made three decades earlier.
But this is not enough to satisfy the ambitions of the park’s management who announce the upcoming exhibition of the Indominus rex, a genetically designed dinosaur hybrid whose behaviour raise more and more concerns while the phantom of the Jurassic Park’s and San Diego’s incidents linger.
When the Indominus escape, the park’s staff and the troops of the Grey Guard are thrown in a race against clock to prevent the park from falling into chaos and this while ominous signs herald the imminence of another kind of danger.

The Fallen Kingdom:

Mount Sibo has erupted and the chaos that the park’s staff and the Grey Guard had sought to contain is unleashed and threatens the survival of all on the island. As Jurassic World collapses in fire and blood, that twenty thousand people wait to be evacuated and that the threat of the Indominus still lingers, the unveiling of a plot risk of worsening the disaster by starting a conflict among men already spoiled by adversity and making Isla Nublar fall further into the darkness.

III. Additional details about the plot and the tone...

*While the first third of the first book is relatively lighthearted as it revolves around the visit of the park by the Mitchells' brother and the characters' introduction, the story gets darker and darker once the Indominus escape. The animals' attacks are as brutal as they were in Crichton's novels and there is some human on human violence. Also, some characters that survives in the films doesn't necessarily make it out alive or unscathed at the end.
* Even though Mount Sibo also erupts by the end of the first book, the eruption is treated here differently than in the Fallen Kingdom's film, more realistically and plays in most of the second book a role similar to the storm in the middle part of the first Jurassic Park.  
* As you must have guessed, the visitors suffers more during the disaster than in the 2015 film.
* A lot of characters have what could be called a grey morality and some of the protagonists are far from being saints whereas some of the antagonists have human aspects to them.
*While most of the species introduced in the first film trilogy keeps their original design, the species introduced in this duology are mostly scientifically accurate.
*Some of the herbivores species happens to be a source of threat to the humans in some scenes and are far from being only carnivore fodder.
* In addition of having a different design, the Indominus is given more dimensions and has a certain relationship with one of the main characters.
* She is also fully revealed only near the end of the first book. In the latter, I basically wanted to treat her like the shark from Jaws, the xenomorph from Alien or the Yautja in John McTiernan's Predator.

If you want to know more about it or if some points doesn't seem very clear to you, please, ask me anything. If you ever read these two books, I wish you a good and enjoyable reading experience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently?   How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How would you do Jurassic World and JW: Fallen Kingdom differently?
Page 1 of 1