Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?

Go down 
+18
Scott B
Nedryland
Darth Spidey
Tarbtano
JPMalcolmDilo
Levine
Aegyptiacus3
HeeeeresJohnny
Dr. Wu
Spinosaur4.4
Jurassic Gabo
Monolophosaurus
TheRexMan22
CT-1138
Pugpunasaurus
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?
InGen_Merc
Sickle_Claw
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Empty
PostSubject: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 2:21 am

Okay the purpose of this thread is to find out what everyone considers to be the best death in the JP novels. As you all know, the deaths are varied, and some inspire pity while others only serve as karmic justice. Others are the results of being in the wrong place at the wrong time(Arnold,King), but others are the results of careful, planned attacks (Wu,Diego)

So I'll go first. I think the best death in the JP novels was Dennis Nedry. I admit I'm biased because it was a dilophosaur attack...but even so this ranks to me as one of the best death scenes in the books. You really get a sense of the terror and tragedy of the scene, and it comes across as very believable.

Now I want to know what are your favorite death scenes?

Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 12:33 pm

A lot of them are my favorites, but Nedry's was the most detailed. I agree.

DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?
Embryo
Embryo
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 7:37 pm

The two I have the most memories of...would be: Nedry's death. Which scared me bad when I was stuck in the office after my last year of middle school. My mom wasn't happy, and I was about 50 shades of green. I also remember the most about the T-Rex death in TLW. Because I remember how Sarah stated why don't they fix the machine that stuns the T-Rexes...why just stand still?

And Ian was like, they were misinformed. It was violent, and gruesome...and that really made the novels better imo. But at the same time I absolutely loved how it flew in the face of the movies. Where standing still would still work on a T-Rex in the next movie coming out.
Back to top Go down
Pugpunasaurus
Embryo
Embryo
Pugpunasaurus

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 12:54 am

My favorite deaths in the novels were probably A.) Ed Regis because of how darkly funny it was for the juvenile T-Rex to fake him out and then tear him apart. And B.) Dodgson's death, because of how satisfying it was in the overall story arch of all of his atrocities. In a more personal sense it was the perfect way for Sarah to get revenge after he tried to kill her by pushing her off the boat. It was so wonderfully cinematic.

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 11:33 am

Pugpunasaurus wrote:
My favorite deaths in the novels were probably A.) Ed Regis because of how darkly funny it was for the juvenile T-Rex to fake him out and then tear him apart. And B.) Dodgson's death, because of how satisfying it was in the overall story arch of all of his atrocities. In a more personal sense it was the perfect way for Sarah to get revenge after he tried to kill her by pushing her off the boat. It was so wonderfully cinematic.

This!

Though, I'll also through in Wu's death of being ripped from the doorway by Velociraptors and being eaten alive.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 12:16 pm

Well, here's an unlikely one. Ian Malcolm.

It was a beautifully toned and extremely sentimental moment. Malcolm ultimately dies at the force of something he grudgingly opposed from the beginning. His final words were genuine, and, I think, highly personal. He doesn't care about anything anymore, because to him, it looks different on the other side, so why does it matter? I think that's how he perceived it.

Gennaro was also suitable candidate. Just because of how 'bleeping' *insert cuss* ridiculous it was.

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 12:30 pm

TheRexMan22 wrote:
Well, here's an unlikely one. Ian Malcolm.

It was a beautifully toned and extremely sentimental moment. Malcolm ultimately dies at the force of something he grudgingly opposed from the beginning. His final words were genuine, and, I think, highly personal. He doesn't care about anything anymore, because to him, it looks different on the other side, so why does it matter? I think that's how he perceived it.

Gennaro was also suitable candidate. Just because of how 'bleeping' *insert cuss* ridiculous it was.

The dysentry off screen death of Gennaro was sort of ridiculous...

Embryo
Embryo
Monolophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Probably Dodgson. That little pack of juvenile Tyrannosaurus just slowly ripping him apart. That one is easily my favorite.

There are a few really forgettable ones, like poor Eddie Carr's death, that are actually a bit interesting though. And I would have forgotten about how Gennaro lived through the first novel and then dies of dysentery. Classic.

"Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."
Back to top Go down
Jurassic Gabo
Embryo
Embryo
Jurassic Gabo

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 7:35 pm

I agree with the fact that Dennis Nedry's death was one of the best described of the novel, to admit that the end gave me a little hurt, I like the suspense Dilophosaurus. I consider my other favorite is the death of Dodgson, I love as the offspring of Tyrannosaurus they ate, while the parents of the children, that Dodgson tried not slip away from your destination.

Almost 25 years of the existence of this franchise, and we still feel like that enchanted child to see those Brachiosaurus in the lake refreshing. Long live Jurassic Park
Back to top Go down
http://jurassicgabo.deviantart.com/
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 11:57 am

Dennis Nedry. It's just so well described, and it's so gruesome and dark, Crichton describes it in such a way you can imagine it on your mind. It's just awesome. And Nedry was a bastard too, so 0 empathy towards him.

Nedry's death is the most brutal one too, IMO. Followed by Wu's death too (on the first novel). But I won't put Wu here since I still get annoyed/angry when reading his death scene everytime I read the novels. Mad

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
Monolophosaurus
Embryo
Embryo
Monolophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 12:10 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Dennis Nedry. It's just so well described, and it's so gruesome and dark, Crichton describes it in such a way you can imagine it on your mind. It's just awesome. And Nedry was a bastard too, so 0 empathy towards him.

Nedry's death is the most brutal one too, IMO. Followed by Wu's death too (on the first novel). But I won't put Wu here since I still get annoyed/angry when reading his death scene everytime I read the novels. Mad

Yeah Wu wasn't quite the cartoony secondary villain thingy in the novels like he was in Jurassic World. He was probably one of my favorite characters. His death was brutal too. If I remember correctly it describes the raptors spilling his intestines and him getting eaten alive.

"Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 12:33 pm

Monolophosaurus wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:

Yeah Wu wasn't quite the cartoony secondary villain thingy in the novels like he was in Jurassic World. He was probably one of my favorite characters. His death was brutal too. If I remember correctly it describes the raptors spilling his intestines and him getting eaten alive.

I love Wu from the novels. He's my favorite character with Ian Malcolm too. I just don't think he deserved to die in the novel, even if he did the mistakes, he wasn't a bad person. I think I would rather see the movie version die in the same brutal way than the novel one. Not that I don't like JW Wu, but he's got no personality or development, it annoys me out. I don't know what the hell they're going to do with Wu on JW2, but I predict a cliché mad scientist type character. Yeah, the raptor jumped on him and started to eat him alive by bitting his belly...Just horrible. Crying or Very sad I still can't deal with it.

Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 1:56 pm

Hey Diego we are all worry about you. Lord Kristine is especially worry. Please contact her on JPL or her twitter/facebook or where ever. Don't think about suicide. Please man.

Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 2:06 pm

Dr. Wu wrote:
Hey Diego we are all worry about you. Lord Kristine is especially worry. Please contact her on JPL or her twitter/facebook or where ever. Don't think about suicide. Please man.

This is offtopic, but I already contacted her and everyone who was worried. I'm okay, for now.

Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Sorry for not sending you an PM until just now man. I wasn't on this version so it was hard to find how to use the PM. I'm glad your okay buddy.

Embryo
Embryo
HeeeeresJohnny

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 2:59 am

Eddie's for me. The fact that he didn't die instantly was super disturbing. Seems to get the short end of the stick in both the movie and the novel.
His death also managed to knock some sense into Levine and make him realise just how dangerous this place was.
Back to top Go down
http://itsaslightlydifferentsituation.tumblr.com
Aegyptiacus3
Hatchling
Hatchling
Aegyptiacus3

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 5:27 am

JP novel - A tie between Nedry and Wu. Nedry's was much darker and more violent than the movie. Literally ripped his guts out! Wu's death was pretty unexpected too,

TLW novel - A tie between Diego and Eddie. I think Diego's was pretty scary, how he was just nabbed by the Carnotaurus', Eddie's was pretty brutal too.

Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 10:16 am

Aegyptiacus3 wrote:
JP novel - A tie between Nedry and Wu. Nedry's was much darker and more violent than the movie. Literally ripped his guts out! Wu's death was pretty unexpected too,

TLW novel - A tie between Diego and Eddie. I think Diego's was pretty scary, how he was just nabbed by the Carnotaurus', Eddie's was pretty brutal too.

Not many people bring up Diego's death and that was pretty brutal. Especially as how he got mauled by something he didn't really know what was attacking him. Levine never explained it.

Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 10:18 am

Jurassic Park: Wu and the Velociraptors, Hammond and the Compys and Ed Regis with the juvenile Tyrannosaur.

The Lost World: King being chased down by the Raptors, Dodgson with the baby Rexes, and Diego taken by the Carnotaur.
Back to top Go down
JPMalcolmDilo
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 6:31 am

I liked Howard Kings death ( I believe that is hs name). I really liked his character because he was nice and it was a shame to see him die in the long grass. I liked the death of the guy whos arms were ripped of in TLW cause it was scary and then Dodgson and King had to drive away in the car. And I liked Nedry's death and Regises death cause they were shocking.
Back to top Go down
Tarbtano
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Tarbtano

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 2:01 am

Levine's guide getting killed by the Carnotaurus in a way Levine could actually see him through its head.

Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 2:32 am

Always thought the opening of JP novel they show a kid getting attacked. So in Bahia Anasco, we see another kid getting attacked so we think "oh its that kind of novel where the kids are gonna be safe."

Nope. Nope. A baby gets ripped to shreds by the Compys right in front of a frightened babysitter.

Hatchling
Hatchling
Darth Spidey

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 2:59 pm

It's gotta be Nedry. Just so grotesque and drawn-out, but filled with suspense even though you know his fate. That scene alone shows that the JP novel is more of an "R-rated" story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClTD7BVp0C0AopETI1coujw
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 9:43 pm

Darth Spidey wrote:
It's gotta be Nedry.  Just so grotesque and drawn-out, but filled with suspense even though you know his fate.  That scene alone shows that the JP novel is more of an "R-rated" story.  

I thought that was impactful. "One final wish...that it would all be over soon."

Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 11:36 pm

On TLW I might say Dodgson's death is awesome, too.

Back to top Go down
Nedryland
Veteran
Veteran
Nedryland

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Wu and Nedry's deaths are tied for me. Both brutal, both well written. I enjoyed reading them and I still do.

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Nedry and perhaps Regis. They arguably got what they deserve. Plus they aren't Arnold or wu.

In TLW Baselton, Dodgson and gennaro are tied. Baselton was arrogant among other things so the rexes gave him a hand and lesson in humility. Dodgson was dodgson. And gennaro because his cause of death was what he was figuratively as a human being.
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Dodgson death perfectly paralleled how he tried to kill Sarah back in the boat.

Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 7:27 pm

Scott B wrote:
Nedry and perhaps Regis. They arguably got what they deserve. Plus they aren't Arnold or wu.

In TLW Baselton, Dodgson and gennaro are tied. Baselton was arrogant among other things so the rexes gave him a hand and lesson in humility. Dodgson was dodgson. And gennaro because his cause of death was what he was figuratively as a human being.

I agree 100%. Regis didn't deserve to die bc he left the kids in the car (seriously, a T.rex out there, I guess 90% of human population would do the same), but mostly bc he was an asshole and didn't care about the park worker that got hurt in the novel beggining. All he cared was to how he would cover it, he didn't care a single about that guy's life.

Back to top Go down
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Ed Regis I feel sorry for, and King, too. I don't know what it is. I guess the excessive helplessness, (if that makes sense.) How they both knew the danger was immanent. And especially with Howard King, how terrifying the moment was, knowing your death is inevitable and waiting to happen. Also, Crichton apparently enjoyed filling his characters with a bright flare of hope before cruelly destroying them. In that I mean this: with Ed Regis, he believed he was in the clear, or very nearly there. The tyrannosaur had gone and Regis was moments from hiding. Actually he was just steps away from the jungle, as Crichton describes. Just steps away. He was moments from safety. And what happens? The tyrannosaur remerges and subsequently rips his throat out.
King, too. What was happening there? He was running full-out for the treeline, hoping to reach one of the trees and climb to safety. He was sprinting. Panting. He was suffering from the terror pulsing through him and the receding shortage of breath in his lungs. You die a hundred times, mhm? It even says he didn't think he was going to make it. King literally tells himself, I'm not going to make it, but I'm to try anyway. Try he did. He must have sprinted thirty, forty yards. The trees were literally right in front of him. He was so close he was already beginning to assess what steps he would take once he got there. But it was not to be. The raptors pinned him before he reached the shade of the nearest tree. Crichton filled us with that same hope before dashing it against the rocks...

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?   Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats your favorite death scene in the Novels?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next