Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

What's Your Favorite JP Film?

Go down 
+26
Robotpo
BoulderFaceplant
Rhedosaurus
#TRexSpinorematch
Megaspino2
K_Ozz92
HennexForest
Island Queen
LostWorld
BarrytheOnyx
V.a.nublarensis
Aegyptiacus3
TheRexMan22
KingGrimlock
Megatronus Rex
Levine
Spinosaur4.4
Crashfan1ooo
Darth Spidey
Tyrant Lizard
dance2nite
Dead2009
Troyal1
CT-1138
Pokesaurus
Dr. Wu
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Jurassic Park
What's Your Favorite JP Film? Vote_lcap75%What's Your Favorite JP Film? Vote_rcap
 75% [ 52 ]
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
What's Your Favorite JP Film? Vote_lcap23%What's Your Favorite JP Film? Vote_rcap
 23% [ 16 ]
Jurassic Park 3
What's Your Favorite JP Film? Vote_lcap0%What's Your Favorite JP Film? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Jurassic World
What's Your Favorite JP Film? Vote_lcap1%What's Your Favorite JP Film? Vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 69

Back

AuthorMessage
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

What's Your Favorite JP Film? Empty
PostSubject: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 1:22 pm

Jurassic Park
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park 3
Jurassic World

Mine is the original but JW is a close second for me. TLW is really good and JP3 is a mix bag for me.
Back to top Go down
Pokesaurus
Site Founder/Owner
Site Founder/Owner
Pokesaurus

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm

I went ahead and added a poll to this so people can see a tally.

"Creation, is an act of sheer will. Next time it'll be flawless"~ John Hammond, Founder/CEO of InGen
"Don't forget, a believing heart is your magic!"~ Shiny Chariot
Check out our Discord for the most up to date and active discussion!
Back to top Go down
http://jurassicmainframe.com
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 2:28 pm

TLW is darker, and edgier. It's easily my favorite film in the franchise, just because it just has so much depth. I mean, when critics say a movie has depth, I don't really get it, but with TLW I can practically feel it. There's just so much there and watching it you feel like what's there and what you feel the first time is barely any of it. There's just so much of the movie I could swim in it. It's got no clear cut antagonists, nor clear cut protagonists, the sets are amazing in that what you see on film feels like it's not even half of what's actually there. Watching the movie, it's the little things that make the biggest impact, and make you think "wow, they actually included that!" The locations are so mysterious and the whole Isla Sorna just kinda screams "You have left the Earth you know behind and have entered the world of dinosaurs". It reminds me of those old dinosaur documentaries I used to watch as a little kid, the ones that featured the old, mossy, coniferous, fern ridden world. A world that looks like it was standing in time. A lost world.

I feel like what we don't see is just as important as what we do. The shadows, and the darkness that takes away finer details also adds a sense of mysteriousness into the mix and that mysteriousness is one of the things I love about the movie. How you don't know what may be trudging through that shadowy forest, or what horrors may be lurking in that derelict building. It extends the dangerous feel from more than the "local" fauna itself; it's that feeling that the very setting isn't your home. That you, as a human, are very out of place here. I think this is easily expressed from the moment that Hammond's team sets foot on the island. They're trudging along a shallow creek, so very far from civilization, and suddenly they here thundering footfalls, and groaning. They have no idea what it is, only that it's "something big". The audience is made to think that it could be a coming at them, but what a wonderful surprise it is for both audience and the characters to see a beautiful herd of gigantic Stegosaurus to pass before you. It tells you that not only is there deadly beauty here, there is also mysterious beauty as well. And when things do go to hell, you find that the forest, which has already set itself up to be dangerous, can become an antagonist itself with Dieter getting himself lost inside it. The Lost World" is supposed to be darker and more serious. If you watch any of the interviews regarding the film, Spielberg explicitly says his intent for "The Lost World" was to make it a more foreboding environment, and a call back to the grimy, dingy jungles found in Spielberg's childhood dinosaur and creature features like "King Kong" and early takes on Arthur C. Doyle's "The Lost World". "The Lost World", in every way, was meant to be a darker experience. From the very beginning, the concept itself portrayed Isla Sorna as a very dank, dark, and dangerous place.

There is much usage of backlighting, and silhouetting of the dinosaurs in "The Lost World". It takes on more of a horror story quality than the first, using much more expressive shadows and a deeper sense of isolation. One of the most amazing things in "The Lost World" is the theme of containment. The whole point of the movie is almost exactly the opposite of the last: instead the animals breaking free of containment, they need to be contained on this tropical island. The island does not really feel like a tropical island at all. The only time you realize that it is a tropical island is when looking at it from the beach or from the sea. It kind of reminds me of Chief Martin Brodys line from "Jaws" - of course, another Spielberg film - "It's only an island if you look at it from the water". Indeed, the entire island as it is represented in the film and in the concept stage looks more like a mainland than anything else. The mountains go off into the distance, with misty clouds and other landscapes following. The first thing we are described when Dr. Ian Malcolm's team arrives on Isla Sorna in Dr. Michael Crichtons book is the volcanic lip surrounding the island. In the book, we are given set locations, and constant reminders that this entire experience is contained. We are consistently being reminded that we are on an island. Not so much with the film. The film works completely on the theme of lack of containment. Catch a T. rex and put him in a cage? He breaks out! This whole constant theme of containment and breaking free, then attempting to contain again, only to once again break free is done, dare I say, even better in the movies than it is in the books! No doubt, Crichton makes a masterful case for Complexity Theory and other mathematical theorems that intricately explain the reason Jurassic Park fails in the first book, but where the theme of control and containment comes in, that is all Spielberg. Spielberg masterfully crafts an entire literal world from "The Lost World", and it is so creepy, yet so adventurous.

No other director alive could have done this. Spielberg wanted the shadow, he wanted the twists, he wanted the macabre.  The points behind the shadows, the darkness, and the grit are all lost to him. What we don't see is just as important as what we do. The shadows and the darkness that takes away finer details also adds a sense of mysteriousness into the mix and that mysteriousness is one of the things I love about the movie. How you don't know what danger may be stalking through that shadowy forest, or what horrors may be lurking in that dirty, derelict building somewhere in the Pacific.

Albertosaurus likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 2:33 pm

JP1 original easy
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 2:35 pm

Im saddened by the lack of a "all the films" option Sad. Honestly I enjoy them all, even if each film does have its flaws, which they do.

Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 6:58 pm

1. Jurassic Park - 9.5/10
2. The Lost World - 7.5/10
3. Jurassic World - 7/10
4. Jurassic Park 3 - 5.5/10

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 9:17 pm

1. Jurassic Park- 9.5/10
2. Jurassic World- 8/10
3. The Lost World- 7.5/10
4. Jurassic Park 3- 5/10

What's Your Favorite JP Film? Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Darth Spidey
Hatchling
Hatchling
Darth Spidey

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 9:26 pm

My rankings:

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClTD7BVp0C0AopETI1coujw
Crashfan1ooo
Embryo
Embryo
Crashfan1ooo

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 11:02 am

My favorite would be the original with The Lost World and Jurassic World being tied for second, and JP /// being last.

Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 11:53 am

Jurassic Park. You can't beat the original.

Very Happy

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

What's Your Favorite JP Film? LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Jurassic Park - 9/10
The Lost World - 9.5/10
Jurassic Park /// - 7/10
Jurassic World - 8.5/10
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 12:24 pm

Okay, I'll rank them according to my opinions:

Jurassic Park - 9,5/10
The Lost World - 8,5/10
Jurassic World - 8/10
Jurassic Park III - 5/10

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

What's Your Favorite JP Film? LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
Darth Spidey
Hatchling
Hatchling
Darth Spidey

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 4:29 pm

My ratings for each:

JP1 - 10/10
TLW - 7.2/10
JW - 6.4/10
JP3 - 5/10

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClTD7BVp0C0AopETI1coujw
Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Megatronus Rex

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 6:16 pm

JP > TLW > JW >= JP3

JP - 9/10
TLW - 8/10
JW - 6/10
JP3 - 5.5/10

The reason I have JW and JP3 so close is because I really enjoy the first half of JP3 (till the end of the aviary scene to be more specific), but the second half drags it down; JW is fun but it seriously lacks replay value for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuEb77i1zKVDNUSAyk_pZ-A
KingGrimlock
Embryo
Embryo
KingGrimlock

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Jurassic Park will always have that special place in my heart. It was one of the first movies I watched as a young child. So it is definitely my favorite. Anyway here are my ratings:

Jurassic Park - 10/10
The Lost World: Jurassic Park - 9/10
Jurassic Park III - 6/10
Jurassic World - 8/10
Back to top Go down
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Jurassic Park. The theme, the tone, the characters, the effects, the script, the plot, the music, the dinosaurs. The magic. Visualizing a childhood dream.

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
Aegyptiacus3
Hatchling
Hatchling
Aegyptiacus3

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Jurassic Park easily, however I would watch TLW more because I enjoy it more.
1. JP
2. TLW
3. JW
4. JP3

V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 11:04 pm

I've had a year to think about this and I'm certain that nothing changes.

1. JP: 9.5/10
2. TLW: 8/10
3. JW: 7.5/10
4. JP3: 4/10
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 2:32 pm

I actually kind of want to change my answer a little bit. JP1 is still my favorite by a mile but the other JP movies are good for different occasions. TLW for when I'm feeling really nostalgic. JP3 for when I want to watch something short with good set pieces. JW for when I am hyping myself for JW2.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 1:55 pm

Jurassic Park will easily tower above all of the sequels in some capacity, it's the only one that is considered an important cinematic classic and is by default my favourite of the series by the vast majority of people who've seen it and the sequels.

Although if the question was on my favourite sequel, Jurassic World still comes ahead of The Lost World, which I know might be blasphemous to many here but for me there is a certain likeability factor that is missing from it's main characters as well as the tendency to come off a bit heavy handed in it's environmental message; those are it's main flaws but apart from that there is more than enough that I love about it.

1. JP: 10/10
2. JW: 8/10
3. TLW: 7.5/10
4. JP3: 4/10

What's Your Favorite JP Film? Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
LostWorld
Hatchling
Hatchling
LostWorld

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 5:11 pm

<--- My favorite in the franchise is in my username. Its scenario, portrayal of the animals, and atmosphere intrigued me the most. It's also the only one that I've seen in theaters... o:

So, my order by favorite:

1. The Lost World
2. Jurassic Park
3. Jurassic World
4. Jurassic Park ///

But... I completely acknowledge that the original is by far the best. Funny thing about JP/// is that I didn't see it until just a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Island Queen
Hatchling
Hatchling
Island Queen

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Dr. Wu wrote:
Mine is the original but JW is a close second for me.

Same with me. I had the hardest time deciding which one I liked better, but since I didn't even have a preferred island before I watched the original three times in a row (the last being on television) just prior to Jurassic World getting released to theaters, I decided to go with that one (which is a first for me, since I hardly ever prefer the first movie in a fandom or franchise, I usually prefer one of the sequels). My order (and ratings) haven't changed:

1. Jurassic Park: 9/10 (since I rarely rate a movie I really like as a perfect ten)
2. Juassic World: 8.5/10 (this is the same rating as I originally gave it)
3. The Lost World: Jurassic Park: 7/10 (passable, but not terrible)
4. Jurassic Park 3: 5/10 (forgettable, since I don't care if I ever see this one again)

HennexForest
Embryo
Embryo
HennexForest

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2016 1:12 am

1. Jurassic Park (1993) - 5/5
2. The Lost World: Jurassic World (1997) - 5/5
3. Jurassic World (2015) - 4/5
4. Jurassic Park III (2001) - 3/5

I'm very fond and like them all, but I love the first two.  Still, if I had to pick just one it will have to be JP.  Not only is it the original, but I also truly think it is overall the best of the series.  TLW does a few narrative issues, but those don't bother me too much personally.  While I really liked Jurassic World, it did have some noticable issues that I hope to see fixed in it's sequel, but overall it's a very solid movie and my favorite movie of 2015.  JP3 is the weakest of the series most certainly, but it does have it's fair share of high moments which outshines majority of it's lows.  It does help I grew up with JP3 along with the first two, giving me a sense of strong nostalgic feeling whenever I watch it.

Last edited by HennexForest on Sun May 21, 2017 12:24 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 9:58 am

JP 10/10
TLW 7/10
JP3 6/10
JW 5/10

It's one of those franchises were the first film (and novel) defines everything while the rest is an afterthought on sliding scale.
Back to top Go down
K_Ozz92
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
K_Ozz92

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 19, 2017 1:22 pm

In this order:
1.JP
2.TLW
3.JW
4.JP3

"Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth."- Dr. Wu.
What's Your Favorite JP Film? Tumblr_o344ke_PXt_X1rp0vkjo1_500
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Mistral wrote:
JP 10/10
TLW 7/10
JP3 6/10
JW 5/10

It's one of those franchises were the first film (and novel) defines everything while the rest is an afterthought on sliding scale.

As I said on the other thread, within my stay here my feelings have changed even for the worse with the later sequels. Mainly because I've had to think and "research" more about them, you know since I've had to discuss of their context. So I've done some adjusting to JP3 (-1) and JW (-2), these much better suit my general ranking systems when it comes to films franchises overall. So JP3 is now where pretty much all generic bland sequels are in my books, the middle ground of meh, and JW slips in the disgusting / contempt -category along with the likes of Rogue One and Adam Sandler films. Not quite at the bottom though, where I have things like Timeline and Jaws the Revenge rotting.

Jurassic Park 10/10
The Lost World 7/10
Jurassic Park III 5/10
Jurassic World 3/10
Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 19, 2017 7:03 pm

How anyone can put JP3 above JW is beyond me Rolling Eyes JW is a solid 7/10, it's close to TLW & nowhere near as good as JP but it's still a good enjoyable adventure film, better than JP3 that's for sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 19, 2017 7:48 pm

It's fine, people have different opinions. Objectivity doesn't exist in these matter it's all subjective, at least for the most part
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 19, 2017 9:04 pm

JP3 is way above JW for me tbh. 

I've grown to kinda dislike JW to be honest.

Like I like it, but it could have been so much more. Especially after that long wait.
Back to top Go down
Megaspino2
Megaspino2

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 19, 2017 10:23 pm

JP- 9/10
TLW- 8/10
JW- 5/10
JP3- 3/10

Jurassic Park is clearly the superior film of the franchise; sure, everything isn't perfect, but all of it clicks in such a way that it makes the film magical. A lot of the magic comes from the setting, the building style, and the dinosaur scenes, but even the small things like the lines of characters and the music help. Watching JP makes me feel like a young child again and I can't help but smile throughout the movie. For me, one of the true markers of a good movie is my desire to watch it again, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching JP.

The Lost World is only just behind JP; it lacks that certain magical feeling that shines from the park setting but it creates a whole new tone and character of its own. TLW is an example of a sequel done right, they went and built upon the foundation of JP and tried to do it in a new and fresh way. I'd argue that the dinosaur scenes in TLW are better than they are in JP and that's saying something. The environment, tone and music is great but the acting leaves a bit to be desired. The lines of dialogue are a bit flat too but overall it's nothing too terrible. The only thing disappointing with TLW is the way it bottle necked any further movies by going to San Diego. However, to play devil's advocate I don't think I'd be sad with there only being JP and TLW seeing as the two movies after were poor and mediocre respectively.

Looking back at it Jurassic World is a horribly weak film, and I have little desire to watch it again. As Troyal said, it wasn't the film that we waited over 10 years for. Right from the beginning there is nothing too fresh about the plot; it's essentially a watered down JP for the modern audience. Once again they ran with the gimmick of a bigger, badder predator. I know some people will say that it's the film's way of commentating on how desensitized as a society we have become, but at the end of the day it's the same; while JP3 also does this as well, JW pulls it off better because the movie seems to have a purpose. The raptor side-plot will never sit well with me and that's all I'll say about that. The acting is not good, Hoskins' acts like an over the top villain stereotype (whether that was the acting or writing I cannot say), Pratt is a generic G.I. Joe grunt who happens to have tamed raptors and Zach and Grey are the typical annoying kids. Bryce Dallas Howard played a good part but was limited by the script and Wong also acted well. The dialogue is horrendous, and the CGI is quite inconsistent (going from very good in some scenes to very bad in others.) The movie didn't capture any of that JP magic that the first two films had and felt almost like it was sterilized. On a side note, the strange blue-green filter doesn't look great either. However, since JW actually has somewhat of a plot, executed the more controversial parts of the film decently and created a big boom for the franchise it squeaks past JP3.

Jurassic Park 3 is just simply not a good movie; it is a popcorn flick and that's sad, especially when JP was a powerhouse in the 90s. The plot is a crappy retread of TLW, and it doesn't advance the franchise in anyway forward. The film shoehorns Grant into the mix to try and add a bit of nostalgia but Sam Neil can't save the movie. The spinosaur is poorly executed and is more like a movie monster than an actual animal. The raptors are too smart for their own good and also come off as unbelievable rather than feeling real. With this, the filmmakers break one of the cardinal rules of JP, portraying the dinosaurs as animals rather than monsters. JW also breaks this rule to an extent but doesn't do it to the extreme that JP3 does. The characters are not very good, Macy does his best with the terrible writing and Eric is actually the only JP kid who isn't fully annoying and was refreshing. JP3 also suffers from pacing problems as well as not giving the audience any time to breathe or digest anything. The ending is the rotten cherry on top of a green moldy cake as the raptor egg scene is just prolonging the movie. The military ending is not good and Billy living takes all remaining credibility and just trashes it. Much like JW I don't have any desire to watch the movie and will gladly change the channel when it appears on T.V.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Favorite JP Film?   What's Your Favorite JP Film? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next