Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Ghostbusters Thread

Go down 
+17
Hellothasaurus
Dr. Wu
Pokesaurus
Mysterious Hero M
Spinosaur4.4
Troodon_formosus
Troyal1
Agron
BarrytheOnyx
Scott B
evolution_rex
Katana
Dead2009
Sickle_Claw
Rhedosaurus
Levine
TheDreamMaster
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 11:59 pm

If 300 million is the minimum then I could see it reaching that far, but I think Feig's suggestion of 500 million is probably more accurate and I don't see it doing that well. It has two days in the US before being forgotten by moviegoers, who will opt to see Ice Age or Star Trek Beyond.

But I can't keep myself from thinking about Warner Bros. and DC though. Man of Steel was only a mild success and Batman Vs. Superman most likely had an ungodly marketing campaign and the box office results for that were much lower than WB expected. Yet it's too late for them to turn back and they are continuing the DC universe in it's current form. Why? Because it's a huge property and they know they can make money off of it, so just because the messed up doesn't mean they're going give up on it.

I can imagine this movie flopping and Sony ignoring it, focusing on a sequel and hope that it does better. They don't really have any other choice because of the Ghostbuster's value as a property. They know they can make money on it, they just need to need to change marketing tactics (and I think this is evidence that pretending there is a political statement behind your movie doesn't really work in this way except to get positive biased reviews) and improve upon the story through acknowledging the flaws of the first one. Sony, however, tends not to care about quality or really understand it though so I think that's out of the question

http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 7:02 am

That's not how Hollywood works. Franchise starter or not if you flop, you flop. F4 is a good example.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 7:52 am

Except that Sony is is desperation mode and people do desperate and not-so-reasonable things to stay alive. F4 is something of an extreme since that was/is very bad and was never going to be profitable with all the chaos involved in it. GB2016 isn't quite that bad.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 8:06 am

Ghostbusters hasn't done good or bad though. Just average. Ala BvS.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 10:13 am

Mysterious Hero M wrote:
Ghostbusters hasn't done good or bad though. Just average. Ala BvS.

That might be enough for Sony to justify a sequel though. Not only that, but with Tom Rothman replacing Amy Pascal, he can just throw her under the bus as a scapegoat if this movie does poorly. He might do the same with Feig too.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Because why not

Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 5:46 pm

Mysterious Hero M wrote:
That's not how Hollywood works. Franchise starter or not if you flop, you flop. F4 is a good example.
And yet Fox still hoped for a sequel even after the flopping and poor response to their movie. They gave up, of course, but they were clearly still discussing. And as I said, Batman Vs. Superman is an example where a movie may not make that much but they need to continue with the franchise. BvS did make money, but there are tons of rumors that BvS went over budget and the budget was already huge to begin with, plus the ungodly amount they spent on marketing.

You don't throw away a valuable property, is what I'm saying. And of course if this is a hard flop, which it very well could be, then no we probably won't get a sequel in this form. But I'm fairly certain they'll continue to use the brand in future forms of media including more movies in the future.

Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 6:28 pm

Seeing how WB added even more dc films and barely changed anything after BvS I highly doubt those rumors.

Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 6:58 pm

I hope it does get a sequel. Screw the haters (who havent even watched the film), I thought it was great.
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 7:39 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
I hope it does get a sequel. Screw the haters (who havent even watched the film), I thought it was great.
Come on, that's inappropriate. I've said many times in this thread why I'm against this movie because of the way it was marketed. You don't have to agree with me but you've skipped the part where people actually discuss and debate, which I understand is tricky because of political aspects which would also be inappropriate, and immediately went to insulting.

Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 7:56 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
Richard Levine wrote:
Come on, that's inappropriate. I've said many times in this thread why I'm against this movie because of the way it was marketed. You don't have to agree with me but you've skipped the part where people actually discuss and debate, which I understand is tricky because of political aspects which would also be inappropriate, and immediately went to insulting.

I was actually referring to the haters who hate it solely because of things like "Waaah its all women cast!" or "Waah this is pandering to the feminist!" or "Waaah I'm not giving it a chance because it's ruining my childhood!". People who dislike the film for whatever reasons they may be while presenting a constructive argument (dislike of the marketing, what's being shown, etc) are fine and I dont consider them haters, just people who dislike the film (I guess that is a hater but under a different definition)

I've seen the film three times and 1) If anything I laughed more here then I did the original films (not saying they arent funny but it's more of an inside laugh), 2) It doesnt even brush up against the feminazi-whatever agenda and 3) If your childhood was based solely around a comedy film from the 80s you didnt have much of a childhood tbh.

I've read through here and heard the debate and your opinions, which I respect. I'm simply stating my opinions on the movie/matter. I apologize if my statement offended anyone.
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 9:31 pm

No problem, I understand.

I've been talking about the new movie too much anyway. Do you guys think they'll still do that 'all male' other movie that they were talking about awhile back?

Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 10:20 pm

The all male movie isn't happening

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
The all male movie isn't happening

Well, the one talked about isn't. As for one never happening, I'd say never say never. That said, if they ever go back to the original universe, or expand the franchise of the new GB universe, I'd bet it'll be mixed teams, just to make everyone happy.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
evolution_rex wrote:
Richard Levine wrote:

I was actually referring to the haters who hate it solely because of things like "Waaah its all women cast!" or "Waah this is pandering to the feminist!" or "Waaah I'm not giving it a chance because it's ruining my childhood!". People who dislike the film for whatever reasons they may be while presenting a constructive argument (dislike of the marketing, what's being shown, etc) are fine and I dont consider them haters, just people who dislike the film (I guess that is a hater but under a different definition)

I've seen the film three times and 1) If anything I laughed more here then I did the original films (not saying they arent funny but it's more of an inside laugh), 2) It doesnt even brush up against the feminazi-whatever agenda and 3) If your childhood was based solely around a comedy film from the 80s you didnt have much of a childhood tbh.

I've read through here and heard the debate and your opinions, which I respect. I'm simply stating my opinions on the movie/matter. I apologize if my statement offended anyone.

@Richard Levine. Evo_Rex is right.  I think you have forgot why people didn't like/go see this movie.

1. The fans and GA wanted GB3, NOT a GB reboot. Sadly, Amy Pascal kept on saying no and basically shoved a reboot down the throats of the fans.

2. While an all-female cast could have worked and been well received, it would have done so if they were the daughters/nieces of the originals. Unfortunately, given Sony's reputation, this was NOT the case.

3. Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd were basically shut out from most of the production and Paul Feig had most of the direct control, even after Amy Pascal was demoted.

4. The fact that Feig is basically a metrosexual who does not think highly what the normal male audience thinks made point 3 worse.

5. The surviving cast were strongarmed via legal means into having cameos.

6. The huge Reddit leek. That was 100% accurate and the fact that Sony purposely cut out the dance number from the movie and put it after the credits proved it. (That most likely saved the movie from being an outright bomb.)

7. Sony's censorship of legitimate criticism and modifying those to make it seem like a sexism argument.

8. How they fanned the flames and may have forced the actresses to do so and started a cultural gender war by doing so. They could of had done a PR push to legitimately address the concerns of the real fans like Reitman did, but he was the only one.

With all the flaming going on, it's impossible to blame people, especially fans, for not seeing this movie. Personally, I can NEVER go to movie with people in the business that are publicly thrashing me. If you Dreammaster, and other people like this movie, more power to you. Just remember, you're only encouraging and rewarding the people who started this mess in the first place.

In any case, I fully expect this movie to collapse with the new Star Trek movie coming out this week and how the new Ice Age movie will come out next week, I believe.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 10:35 pm

Lol you're prob one of those people who sent Leslie Jones hate as well

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 11:27 am

Mysterious Hero M wrote:

1. First of all, I don't have a twitter account.

2. I would NEVER do stuff like that.

3. How unprofessional of you to say that. So according to you, everybody who hates that movie is a racist bigot. Hm...I guess it wasn't acceptable for people to be skeptical of Jurassic World either since Joss Whedon considered that sexist. Need I remind you that it's stuff like that why Ty almost shut down JPL before JW was released and IIRC, was part of the reason why he finally shut it down for good? I demand an apology from you.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 12:34 pm

The film itself may not have feminist overtones in the movie itself but the events leading up to it where Sony and the director were attacking people over opinions because in their mind, "it's only because women are the leads" surely had feminism planted all over it.

The people that sent sh*t to Leslie Jones are jackasses but for the love of god can we stop treating celebrities like special snowflakes that are incapable of taking criticism?

Back to top Go down
Pokesaurus
Site Founder/Owner
Site Founder/Owner
Pokesaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Mysterious Hero M wrote:

Personal attacks like this are rude and unnecessary. No need to attack someone for their opinions. This is a verbal warning. You can discuss disagreements without bashing or accusing others.

"Creation, is an act of sheer will. Next time it'll be flawless"~ John Hammond, Founder/CEO of InGen
"Don't forget, a believing heart is your magic!"~ Shiny Chariot
Check out our Discord for the most up to date and active discussion!
Back to top Go down
http://jurassicmainframe.com
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
The film itself may not have feminist overtones in the movie itself but the events leading up to it where Sony and the director were attacking people over opinions because in their mind, "it's only because women are the leads" surely had feminism planted all over it.

The people that sent sh*t to Leslie Jones are jackasses but for the love of god can we stop treating celebrities like special snowflakes that are incapable of taking criticism?

I'm also going to step in and say lets drive this away from the stuff that happened with Leslie Jones. On that note though, I will say, it wasn't about her not being able to take criticism. I saw Twitter messages sent to her depicting the "original" Ghostbusters show from Filmation with comments like "There was already a monkey in Ghostbusters before you." and stuff like that. There's a difference between not taking criticism well, and having to deal with outright racism.

In any case, lets not focus on that as it's not worth starting any arguments, and it's over as Leslie Jones has come back to Twitter.

As for the feminist angle, I can't disagree with the facts of how things happened behind the scenes, but after seeing it, it doesn't come off as a feminist film, and I liked it, so for a personal opinion that is all that matters. If a sequel happens, even if they have Feig in the director's chair again, power at Sony has shifted. Rothman is in control now (and, god only knows I didn't like him when he was at FOX.), and Pascal, who was a major player in the shady stuff that went on getting this film made is gone. So whatever happens, I think we'll see a more open approach to sequels or spin-offs or other continuity films.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 2:10 pm

This is why I stay out of this topic. At this point, it doesn't matter if Ghostbusters 2016 is a good movie or not, the absolute toxic levels of hate and vitriol for both the wrong and the right reasons is beyond intolerable. For that reason, I still refuse to cough up my money for Mr Feig and Sony.

1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 7:47 am

Ghostbusters 2016 took a big 63% drop this weekend. I saw it on Forbes, but I can't link to it for some reason. Just type in Ghostbusters drops 63% and you'll see it.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 11:59 am

I just plan on getting it on dvd. I like the first two films (especially the first one) but I'm not an hardcore fan of them. Got no issues of the Ghostbusters being all female and that it's a reboot.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 6:24 pm

Here's the link to the Forbes article that I mentioned earlier. I couldn't link to it because I was on some other computer.

In any case, this is bad news for Sony. If Feig's statement about this movie needing $500 million dollars for it to be a success is true, which I don't doubt since he was one of the main power players in making this, then this movie is in big trouble.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 11:53 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Here's the link to the Forbes article that I mentioned earlier. I couldn't link to it because I was on some other computer.

In any case, this is bad news for Sony. If Feig's statement about this movie needing $500 million dollar for it to be a success is true, which I don't doubt since he was one of the main power players in making this, then this movie is in big trouble.

After all the problems, the hate, and everything, I guess I'm really not surprised. It was not a movie that would please everyone to begin with, but I figured either all the press regarding the film would either actually drive people away, or give it a huge box office just to see what all the fuss was about. Then again for those not on the internet as much as some of us, the crappy trailers probably didn't do it any favors.

What I really hope this means, and even as a fan of the reboot, is Sony goes for a different GB product. Yes, I would actually like a sequel to this, but what I'm just really hoping is that the franchise isn't killed off again for another 27 years.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 6:34 pm

From what I'm seeing on Box Office Mojo, the Ghostbusters reboot has made only slightly over $128 million dollars so far. Unless it does well oversees, which is unlikely, this is going to be a bomb.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
From what I'm seeing on Box Office Mojo, the Ghostbusters reboot has made only slightly over $128 million dollars so far. Unless it does well oversees, which is unlikely, this is going to be a bomb.

It's doing as expected for a Paul Feig film lol.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Wait...

First you were against it, then you liked it after you saw it, and now you hate it again? HUH?! confused
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 7:03 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Richard Levine wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Wait...

First you were against it, then you liked it after you saw it, and now you hate it again? HUH?! confused

Wait what. I was initally against it yeah, then had a change of heart and gave it a chance, found out I loved it, still do. What I'm saying is that the numbers they are getting are basically what other Paul Feig films get. This is normal numbers for him and his movies lol (and as far as I know he hasnt made a dud).
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 7:07 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Richard Levine wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Wait...

Wait what. I was initally against it yeah, then had a change of heart and gave it a chance, found out I loved it, still do. What I'm saying is that the numbers they are getting are basically what other Paul Feig films get. This is normal numbers for him and his movies lol (and as far as I know he hasnt made a dud).

Oh. OK. I thought that you reverted to your original mindset with the last post you made. Sorry about that. My bad. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   1 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ghostbusters Thread
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next