Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Overall Disney Thread

Go down 
+15
V.a.nublarensis
BarrytheOnyx
Rhedosaurus
tigris115
CT-1138
Dead2009
Minmi
DeiXnonychus
GwrChurchward
Sickle_Claw
Scott B
TheDreamMaster
Troyal1
Dr. Wu
Oshronosaurus
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 6:38 pm

One thing I can say for Brenton Thwaites, he really does look like the child of Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, so decent casting on the surface of it. But I doubt he can carry this film, at least not without Jack Sparrow popping up frequently. Speaking of Jack, Disney really seem to be hiding Johnny Depp since his films have just not been doing well with audiences or critics. I love Javier Bardem, his performance in No Country For Old Men always gives me goosebumps, but his Captain Salazaar reminded me of a cross between Severus Snape and the Penguin from Batman Returns. So, I don't know what to feel about that.

At a whopping budget of $320 million, Disney better hope and pray that audiences are in the mood for some swashbuckling pirate fantasy, otherwise they have big trouble on their hands. Personally, I'm game - I've always enjoyed this franchise more than most, but whether this will recapture the magic or give the series a fresh start is up in the air as we speak.

3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 6:47 pm

A live action Snow White movie is in the works...

It's as if the 2 modified versions of these didn't happen already...

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 7:04 am

A live action Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs?? Good luck finding a good casting for Snow White herself, Disney. Oh who are we kidding? They'll find a better casting than Kristen Stewart before long.

Back to top Go down
DeiXnonychus
Embryo
Embryo
DeiXnonychus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 3:15 pm

I was a little disappointed with Maleficent. Cinderella was pretty good and The Jungle Book was amazing imo. Beauty and the Beast looks hella good so I'm not worried too much about a new live action Snow White (especially if it's made by Disney).
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Speaking of Maleficent, part of me hopes that Disney actually straight up re-makes Sleeping Beauty faithfully and reverently, and just pretend that Maleficent was a bad hangover that should never have happened. The only takeaway is that Angelina Jolie plays Maleficent as she was meant to be: evil, intimidating, and oozing with dark charisma. But realistically, that's not likely to happen.

Back to top Go down
DeiXnonychus
Embryo
Embryo
DeiXnonychus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 12:06 am

It will happen... in the year 2040 lol.
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm

talk to me when they do a live-action remake of The Black Cauldron

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 6:40 pm

A remake of The Black Hole has never happened because Disney considered it too dark.

I find this very ironic considering how Disney has never been shy about making it's villains quite dark.

Scar anybody?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 11:19 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
A remake of The Black Hole has never happened because Disney considered it too dark.

I find this very ironic considering how Disney has never been shy about making it's villains quite dark.

Scar anybody?
Frollo. Gaston. Madame Medusa. Davy Jones. Sykes. Hans. the Coachman. the Horned King.

yeah, Disney doesn't know what the hell they're talkin' about when they say they don't want to make something 'cuz it seems too dark.

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
DeiXnonychus
Embryo
Embryo
DeiXnonychus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 2:32 am

Frollo is as pitch black as you can get in terms of Disney darkness. I really wish I understood the context of hell fire as a kid.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 4:36 am

Oftentimes I feel that Disney (but not Lucasfilm or Marvel) doesn't really know how to do villains well anymore; unless they're based on older villains like Shere Khan. They can tackle difficult subject matters like racism, broken families and ostracism, but their last truly great villain was in Tangled with Mother Gothel. Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia all had these weird/frustrating villain reveals that came in the form of a twist.

The first couple of times was interesting, but by Zootopia it just becomes completely necessary and ends up undermining potentially interesting villains. Looking back at Disney's villains from the previous century they really knew how to instill fear into the audience; they managed to be extremely dark whilst being able to tell a thoughtful and uplifting story. Don Bluth firmly believed that kids can endure any amount of darkness as long as there's a happy ending, and Disney used to hold true to that.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 9:57 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Oftentimes I feel that Disney (but not Lucasfilm or Marvel) doesn't really know how to do villains well anymore; unless they're based on older villains like Shere Khan. They can tackle difficult subject matters like racism, broken families and ostracism, but their last truly great villain was in Tangled with Mother Gothel. Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia all had these weird/frustrating villain reveals that came in the form of a twist.

The first couple of times was interesting, but by Zootopia it just becomes completely necessary and ends up undermining potentially interesting villains. Looking back at Disney's villains from the previous century they really knew how to instill fear into the audience; they managed to be extremely dark whilst being able to tell a thoughtful and uplifting story. Don Bluth firmly believed that kids can endure any amount of darkness as long as there's a happy ending, and Disney used to hold true to that.
I'll disagree on Ralph, but agree on the others. Heck, I called the villain in BH6 as soon as he showed up on screen. I don't know if they just enjoy mystery or what, but it seems like they do have trouble making villains that are rounded as villains. I mean even well established ones sort of get the shaft. Take a Maleficient, an honestly bare bones portrayal of evil, but done so well lots of people love her; then Disney makes that live-action film, and fleshes her out in a way where she becomes a victim. Maybe evil for the sake of evil isn't as compelling, but what they did do brought the character down quite a bit.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 1:19 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:

I'll disagree on Ralph, but agree on the others. Heck, I called the villain in BH6 as soon as he showed up on screen. I don't know if they just enjoy mystery or what, but it seems like they do have trouble making villains that are rounded as villains. I mean even well established ones sort of get the shaft. Take a Maleficient, an honestly bare bones portrayal of evil, but done so well lots of people love her; then Disney makes that live-action film, and fleshes her out in a way where she becomes a victim. Maybe evil for the sake of evil isn't as compelling, but what they did do brought the character down quite a bit.

I almost forgot about Maleficent, and you're right about the whole victimization BS that movie tried to pull, GOD that was so stupid!! Evil for the sake of evil is regarded as somewhat old hat, since few people in real life are completely evil all the way through. I'm not against Disney giving their villains nuance and dimension but I AM against them pussyfooting established villains or just writing rubbish villains.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 7:13 pm

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 7:43 am

Holy crap Pixar, I know people didn't like Cars 2 and said it was too silly, but wow....

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 11:45 am

Live-action Winnie the Pooh movie nabs director

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 6:50 pm

I really don't understand the rationale of a live action Winnie The Pooh movie, especially one that basically lifts the plot from Hook rather blatantly and without shame. Of all the Disney movies that do lend themselves to a cinematic live action experience, like The Black Cauldron, Peter Pan, Aladdin and Mulan, a film about one of Disney's most distinctly animated characters that skews more towards kids does not strike me as something that would look or feel right in live action.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2016 10:24 am

As of now, Moana has made just under $10 million, and is on pace to make $85-$90 million dollars so far.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Original Pirates of the Caribbean star returns for latest sequel
http://moviehole.net/2016111485original-pirates-caribbean-star-returns-latest-sequel

Quote :
Seemingly needing a payday, Keira Knightley is reportedly returning for the next “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie.

As previously reported, her franchise screen-squeeze Orlando Bloom is also returning for Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean : Dead Men Tell No Tales”.

The catch? Knightley’s Elizabeth Swann won’t appear until a post-credits scene – setting up her appearance in the already greenlit sixth “Pirates” film. Bloom’s Will Turner, however, will have a more substantial presence in this film.

Joining Johnny Depp in the Aussie-shot tentpole, out May 26, are Kevin McNally, Stephen Graham, Kaya Scodelario, Brenton Thwaites, Golshifteh Farahani and Paul McCartney.Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg direct.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2016 1:28 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Original Pirates of the Caribbean star returns for latest sequel
http://moviehole.net/2016111485original-pirates-caribbean-star-returns-latest-sequel

Quote :
Seemingly needing a payday, Keira Knightley is reportedly returning for the next “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie.

As previously reported, her franchise screen-squeeze Orlando Bloom is also returning for Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean : Dead Men Tell No Tales”.

The catch? Knightley’s Elizabeth Swann won’t appear until a post-credits scene – setting up her appearance in the already greenlit sixth “Pirates” film. Bloom’s Will Turner, however, will have a more substantial presence in this film.

Joining Johnny Depp in the Aussie-shot tentpole, out May 26, are Kevin McNally, Stephen Graham, Kaya Scodelario, Brenton Thwaites, Golshifteh Farahani and Paul McCartney.Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg direct.

The fifth movie hasn't even been out yet, and a 6th movie has already been greenlit?! I get that Disney is back in 'golden age' mode again and that they can afford some movies not doing well, but even so, this seems slightly reckless.

Scarlett Johansson wants to be a Disney princess.

Even though she said that she's wanted to do this for about 20 years, I can't help but wonder if this is Plan B in case we never get a Black Widow movie.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 5:27 pm

The trailer for Cars 3 was released.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2017 11:52 am

In addition to Will Smith, we also have Tom Hanks being courted for a live action Disney remake.... and one I've not been on board with for any length of time.

Tom Hanks being offered a villain role in live-action Dumbo

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2017 12:58 pm

I can see Tom Hanks as a villain, but I do with a lot of difficulty. Needless to say, I really don't think a Dumbo movie is the best choice for him to a villain. I just don't see him working well in that role in that movie.

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2017 4:41 pm

yeah, Dumbo is really one of those no-antagonist stories. that said, if Hanks is cast as a villain in a Dumbo remake, i'd imagine he'll be the circus ringleader in order to draw attention to animal cruelty in circuses since our perception of them has changed dramatically since the early '40s

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2017 4:44 pm

I didn't know people care so much about whether or not something is going to work in Dumbo remake/reboot.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 9:20 am

Mistral wrote:
I didn't know people care so much about whether or not something is going to work in Dumbo remake/reboot.

Considering it's live action.....

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 9:27 am

Dead2009 wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Considering it's live action.....

I guess the only reason why people would want to see it is because they want to see a Dumbo movie without any debatable form of racism (the crows) that the first movie had.
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 3:13 pm

personally, i consider it really unfair to call Dumbo racist 'cuz the crows. first off, values dissonance. secondly, the crows may have been pastiches of African-Americans (to the point that their leader is named Jim Crow) but they were good guys--they helped Dumbo! this isn't Birth of a Nation we're talkin' about, here!

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Oshronosaurus wrote:
personally, i consider it really unfair to call Dumbo racist 'cuz the crows. first off, values dissonance. secondly, the crows may have been pastiches of African-Americans (to the point that their leader is named Jim Crow) but they were good guys--they helped Dumbo! this isn't Birth of a Nation we're talkin' about, here!

Exactly this!!

Every time someone who claims to know better calls Dumbo out on account of the crows' "racism", I always remind them that they're the ones who actually helped Dumbo to learn to fly, and before that they apologized to Dumbo and Timothy for their earlier teasing, and were the first group of characters to do so in the movie. But now, I suspect Disney thinks they can write out the crows and replace them with... I don't know, maybe a sympathetic human family who befriends the little elephant. Perhaps that is where Will Smith's character and his yet un-cast family come in.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 6:52 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Oshronosaurus wrote:

Exactly this!!

Every time someone who claims to know better calls Dumbo out on account of the crows' "racism", I always remind them that they're the ones who actually helped Dumbo to learn to fly, and before that they apologized to Dumbo and Timothy for their earlier teasing, and were the first group of characters to do so in the movie. But now, I suspect Disney thinks they can write out the crows and replace them with... I don't know, maybe a sympathetic human family who befriends the little elephant. Perhaps that is where Will Smith's character and his yet un-cast family come in.

I never thought of those things before. To be fair, even though I saw Dumbo last year, it didn't really click with me. I guess I was never a big fan of the movie I was a kid.

There is a petition to reboot the 1990's "Dinosaurs" TV show.

I was never a fan of this when I was growing up in the 90's. I only saw a few episodes and when I finally did. I was so into Jurassic Park, dinosaur books, and was starting to get into Godzilla that I never really felt anything with this show. TBH, that's part of the reason why I wasn't a big fan of the original 'Land Before Time' movie. That and the VHS tape it was recorded on was messed up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Overall Disney Thread
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next