Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The King Kong thread

Go down 
+19
Rhedosaurus
Troyal1
evolution_rex
Dr. Wu
CT-1138
Levine
Oliphaunt
Katana
Lost
owenpratt
GwrChurchward
Sickle_Claw
Mysterious Hero M
Megaspino2
BarrytheOnyx
Raptor Blue
Dead2009
Aegyptiacus3
RolandEden
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

The King Kong thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Raptor Blue wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Raptor Blue wrote:
I'm excited but I really hope they don't have him crossover with Godzilla. Kong wouldn't have the slightest chance.

Well, I hate to burst your bubble but there IS going to be a Kong vs Godzilla movie, that is pretty much the main reason why they brought Kong into this new Legendary Kaiju universe.

As for what I think of this; 100 feet tall (supposedly when standing up) is pretty much the maximum they can make Kong without going overboard; he's pretty much as big as the Iron Giant at this point, who was still able to conceal himself in deep forests as I imagine this Kong would as well. But he'd be too big to fight giant dinosaur predators, even V-rexes would look like Raptors in front of a T.rex compared to him. But he'd still be too small to fight Godzilla who is 350 ft tall in the 2014 film, unless they show Kong as being the more agile and creative fighter than Big G.

Well, that has got to be one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.

Not to say that I'm hyped and on board for this Kong/Godzilla crossover, but I agree to disagree; I have heard far, far worse ideas. Quite a few of them actually became films.

The King Kong thread - Page 2 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 3:36 pm

I am very much looking forward to Kong: Skull Island, to see how this new iteration of Kong fits into the film universe that we were introduced to in Godzilla 2014. Though to be honest, I would be very let down if there aren't any dinosaurs in that film like the 1976 Kong remake, which I really did not care for.

I am also looking forward to the Godzilla sequel, but as for the Kong vs Godzilla movie I am on the fence. Even if they are able to size up Kong without removing that element of intimacy and, for lack of a better word, humanity that was present in the 1933 and 2005 films, then that version of Kong is going to be at a loss. Even more so if they cannot find a way to believably make the premise of a 100 foot ape fighting a 350 foot saurian work, given the tone these films seem to aspire to, which is quite grounded and serious.

Back to top Go down
Raptor Blue
Embryo
Embryo
Raptor Blue

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 4:17 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Raptor Blue wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Raptor Blue wrote:
I'm excited but I really hope they don't have him crossover with Godzilla. Kong wouldn't have the slightest chance.

Well, I hate to burst your bubble but there IS going to be a Kong vs Godzilla movie, that is pretty much the main reason why they brought Kong into this new Legendary Kaiju universe.

As for what I think of this; 100 feet tall (supposedly when standing up) is pretty much the maximum they can make Kong without going overboard; he's pretty much as big as the Iron Giant at this point, who was still able to conceal himself in deep forests as I imagine this Kong would as well. But he'd be too big to fight giant dinosaur predators, even V-rexes would look like Raptors in front of a T.rex compared to him. But he'd still be too small to fight Godzilla who is 350 ft tall in the 2014 film, unless they show Kong as being the more agile and creative fighter than Big G.

Well, that has got to be one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.

Not to say that I'm hyped and on board for this Kong/Godzilla crossover, but I agree to disagree; I have heard far, far worse ideas. Quite a few of them actually became films.

Of course there's far, far worse ideas. I never said it was THE worst idea. I said it was one of them. "Yeah, let's have a 100 ft gorilla fight a 350 ft tall, armored monster who has nuclear breath and basically can't die." There're huge problems with this. They're going to have to dumb down Godzilla to the extreme to give King Kong a chance.
Back to top Go down
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Lost

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 6:42 pm

Which one would you root for, Godzilla or Kong? Smile
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 6:54 pm

While Godzilla has the more ardent, loyal fanbase and is ultimately the greater monster, I will personally root for Kong in the upcoming films because I have more of an attachment to the big ape and consider him the underdog in this. Smile

Back to top Go down
Katana
Hatchling
Hatchling
Katana

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Was it confirmed recently that Kong is only 100ft? Ive heard that number thrown around all over the place, but I dont know why.

Im good for whoever to win. Love Kong and Godzilla, so I dont mind the outcome as long as it makes sense/is fun to watch.

Formally: Sinncrow
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2016 7:07 pm

100ft ape vs. 350ft nuclear lizard. It's going to be like The Big One vs Rexy. Laughing

-Cope (M) Brontosaurus excelsus
-Hook (F): Suchomimus tenerensis
Back to top Go down
RolandEden
Hatchling
Hatchling
RolandEden

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 9:01 am

@Oliphaunt: Thats a great comparision! But remember Rexy in this time now have a atomic breath and its radioactive. But I think the possible ways to fight Godzilla is: Kong is a subadult and needs to grow or this new Kong is going to fight a juvenile godzilla species similar to Godzilla Jr reaching a eight of 50m tall

Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 8:48 am

Kong is huge

The King Kong thread - Page 2 CnZ4X3NWgAEX1ao

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 5:40 pm

With Kong being as huge as he is, I'm guessing they will downplay the relationship between the titular ape and our blonde haired leading lady, in contrast to the previous iterations of Kong. Definitely looking forward to a new trailer. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 8:23 pm

I think they will say Kong is a subadult that way as to make him big enough for Godzilla to fight in the future.

Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 11:12 pm

I'm betting we're not going to have any sort of dynamic similar to that.

http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 2:14 pm

Here we go... Kong's new poster

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 5:13 pm

I like the idea behind the poster: the image of a soldier atop a giant skull while facing up against the enormous Kong is striking imagery, invoking Jurassic Park in a good way.

But, and please tell me if this is weird or not, but why is the flare light green? It kind of takes away from the image for me, you have this foggy, natural aesthetic and then this lime green that doesn't gel well with it's surroundings.

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 4:16 am

It's not a flare, it's a colored smoke canister. The military use them to denote specific functions for specific areas.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 4:19 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
I like the idea behind the poster: the image of a soldier atop a giant skull while facing up against the enormous Kong is striking imagery, invoking Jurassic Park in a good way.

But, and please tell me if this is weird or not, but why is the flare light green? It kind of takes away from the image for me, you have this foggy, natural aesthetic and then this lime green that doesn't gel well with it's surroundings.

Because if it was red it would be plagiarism to a Jurassic World scene Razz

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 4:13 pm

Not meaning to double post, but it's here!!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
RolandEden
Hatchling
Hatchling
RolandEden

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Kong looks so massive! But I dont think this Kong is 30 m tall. He is much taller!

Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Yeah, I'm not digging it so far. I didn't like the way it sounded before the trailer and this sort of confirms that this isn't going to be my cup of tea. It doesn't look terrible, and my opinion may change with new information or trailers, but it's not very King Kong-ish and there is something just really off about how everything looks.

RolandEden
Hatchling
Hatchling
RolandEden

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 7:20 pm

Also I notice some shots are from the same locations of Jurassic Park-World. Look 1:21-1:24 its the same forest where Chopper was chasing Indominus.

Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 7:48 pm

Skull Island filmed in Hawaii as well.

Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 5:53 am

As a monster/adventure movie, it looks awesome! Love the cinematography, direction, locations, cast.
As a Kong movie, I think this trailer confirms that the best King Kong movie will still remain Peter Jackson's one. I prefer his vision of the ape, being an actual animal, and not a monster.
But I understand that this new film wants to show Kong as a monster, so I'm still very excited to see this movie. Also, I hope they show dinosaurs!

Back to top Go down
Megaspino2
Megaspino2

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 7:30 am

I got some strange vibes from the trailer, like that 90s tv show of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Tlw and Primal Rage combined. Not a real fan of how Kong is essentially standing on two legs looking more like Bigfoot than a gorilla but perhaps that's what they were going for. I can see the appeal but it's not my cup of tea. Peter Jackson's King Kong will always be my favorite I believe.

On a side note, how is this Kong avoiding detection for so long? He seems absolutely massive, dwarfing everything on the island. Where can he hide?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 2:32 pm

Finally! King Kong standing on two legs again! Just like the old Kong films. IMO all the live action Kong films are good to guilty pleasures. Top 3 favorite ones are King Kong (1976) and (2005) plus King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962).

Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 3:01 pm

I'm kinda creeped out by Kong standing on two legs. Yeah he did it in Kong vs Godzilla and the earlier kaiju films but I'm more used to Jackson's Kong. When they did that pan up shot with him standing in the river I thought it was a person for a few seconds lol.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
I'm kinda creeped out by Kong standing on two legs. Yeah he did it in Kong vs Godzilla and the earlier kaiju films but I'm more used to Jackson's Kong. When they did that pan up shot with him standing in the river I thought it was a person for a few seconds lol.
I feel like the only one who likes and is more used to classic looking Kong lol. Have you seen the original Kong vs. Godzilla? Kong in that film is terrifying.

Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 3:40 pm

Skull Island is clearly meant to be more horror then sci-fi, which is why Kong is more terrifying then majestic+a giant spider being in the trailer. As for the "fake jungle" it was filmed on location in Vietnam and Hollywood the "fakeness" is being done through filters to evoke Apocalypse NOW! which also had a very surreal dream-like feeling to it.

Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 4:03 pm

I don't think a upright bigfoot-esque King Kong works with the type of tone they seem to be going for, it comes off as really silly. To me, if have the ability to make a realistic looking ape through motion capture like we have with modern technology, then you should go with that.

Rewatching the trailer though, I do have to say that I like the color grading and cinematography, but everything else in this movie is looking pretty subpar in my opinion.

Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 4:10 pm

A giant normal-looking gorilla isn't horrifying at all. A giant man-like ape however is horrifying and evokes memories of stuff like the Colossus of Rhodes.

Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Mysterious Hero M wrote:
A giant normal-looking gorilla isn't horrifying at all. A giant man-like ape however is horrifying and evokes memories of stuff like the Colossus of Rhodes.
100% agree. The 2005 film was more about crying then screaming and I love the 2005 film but Kong was created to be a monster. And the trailer feels like a movie that's set in the world of Godzilla, which this film is.

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The King Kong thread
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next