Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Star Wars thread

Go down 
+45
The Malone Society
Quetzalcoatlus
Oviraptor
BoulderFaceplant
TyrannoFan
Raptor_Guard999
Robotpo
jericho
K_Ozz92
Six-Foot Turkey
Herrerasaurus
TRK/TrexKing
Troyal1
Bbrink1996
dance2nite
BarrytheOnyx
Rhedosaurus
CT-1138
TheDreamMaster
Levine
1morey
Oshronosaurus
TheRexMan22
T-rex-king
SmugTheFab
V.a.nublarensis
Nedryland
smaugtheterrible
Océane
HennexForest
Baryonyx111
Dr. Wu
GwrChurchward
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?
Velociraptor Rex
Sickle_Claw
owenpratt
Raptor Blue
CloneTrooper101
evolution_rex
Mysterious Hero M
MissDNA
Scott B
Darth Spidey
Dead2009
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2016 12:55 pm

I always thought that they were based on Viking funerals and I'm sure I remember reading that in at least one Star Wars book. In any case, why do Jedi cremate their dead?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2016 9:27 pm

could be any number of reasons. perhaps it's meant to keep people from determining the secrets of the biology of a Force-sensitive individual?

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2016 2:31 am

Who else was watching the marathon on TNT today?

smaugtheterrible
Hatchling
Hatchling
smaugtheterrible

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2016 12:40 am

RaptorLover0823 wrote:
Who else was watching the marathon on TNT today?

I was Very Happy

Also, I didn't realize until just now that Michael Giacchino ended up composing the Rogue One soundtrack. Alexandre Desplat had to leave because of reshoot scheduling, apparently. Not really sure how it's going to sound, as Giacchino only had four weeks to score the movie, but I'm hopeful. I generally like the JW soundtrack, and I think he's a logical choice for a film like this.

Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2016 4:14 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
I always thought that they were based on Viking funerals and I'm sure I remember reading that in at least one Star Wars book. In any case, why do Jedi cremate their dead?

Well without an in depth explanation which I doubt Disney ever gives because they like to only use the prequels when necessary, I'd say it's because Lucas established midichlorians as an organism existing in the blood. While it'd be crazy to think no one ever tried experimentation before, I imagine in an age of cloning, a force sensitive could be cloned into a force-wielding army.

I also like to theorize that on a cellular level, if someone could replicate midichlorians, they could imbue a person with force potential, since they use the organisms in the body to channel the power. We at least know for sure the number of them correlates with power, from Anskin, and while it's never shown if they can be given, it's been said Vader's loss of limbs and injuries directly related to him losing some of his power.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2016 4:19 pm

just for the record, midichlorians were formally retconned in the final arc of The Clone Wars and now they run with the Force really being a mystical thing that can't properly be explained after all and midichlorians are a misinterpretation of it (Yoda talks to a being as connected to the Force as you can possibly get who says "what your science calls 'midichlorians'"). basically, midichlorians aren't the ultimate origin of the Force, either a misinterpretation of it similar to the four humours in real-world medicine or just a means of measuring Force-sensitivity.

Join the Brethren!

Last edited by Oshronosaurus on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 3:08 am

Rogue One -9/10. No spoilers, go see it.

Back to top Go down
Nedryland
Veteran
Veteran
Nedryland

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 3:46 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Rogue One -9/10. No spoilers, go see it.

Agreed!

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2016 5:02 pm

If it wasn't for the fact that we'll be getting 3-7 inches of snow here in Michigan, I'd really seriously consider going to see it. Even more so considering how I never saw a single movie this year.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 1:18 pm

Mark Hamill likes Rouge One.

Box Office Mojo says that Rouge One has made over $71 million domestically, $104 million overall, and will make $150 million after this weekend.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 3:40 pm

Can someone kindly walk me through how to use spoiler tag button here please? I just figured it out manually though.

I'm kinda the odd man out here. Liked the movie but not nearly as much as everyone else.  Big spoiler.

Spoiler:

Again I know i have the unpopular opinion but I'd give it a 7 probably. Liked the movie but I just didn't click with any characters personally. The visuals and scale of things were astounding though. And it's a bummer that they had to switch composers and he only had 4 weeks to compose for this film. That's a lot of pressure.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 5:59 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
Can someone kindly walk me through how to use spoiler tag button here please? I just figured it out manually though.

I'm kinda the odd man out here. Liked the movie but not nearly as much as everyone else.  Big spoiler.

Spoiler:

Again I know i have the unpopular opinion but I'd give it a 7 probably. Liked the movie but I just didn't click with any characters personally. The visuals and scale of things were astounding though. And it's a bummer that they had to switch composers and he only had 4 weeks to compose for this film. That's a lot of pressure.

Depending on how Disney reacts, I imagine the story behind production will be interesting. I want to see what was shot for the trailer (I tend to think the TIE Foghter on the bridge shot was made up for the trailers), deleted scenes, and reworked scenes. You can tell from a shot with Jyn running with the plans amidst the AT-ACTs on the beach that the finale was likely quite different.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 9:32 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:

Spoiler:

Depending on how Disney reacts, I imagine the story behind production will be interesting. I want to see what was shot for the trailer (I tend to think the TIE Foghter on the bridge shot was made up for the trailers), deleted scenes, and reworked scenes. You can tell from a shot with Jyn running with the plans amidst the AT-ACTs on the beach that the finale was likely quite different.

Exactly. We also see
Spoiler:

I walked out of the force awakens loving it but now not so much. While I still like that film I find a lot of things that bother me about it now. I'm hoping that this film will have the opposite effect on me. I have a feeling it will probably get better with multiple viewings and I will appreciate it more in time.  When I watched it a second time today a scene really stood out to me.

Spoiler:

Sorry for the long post. Lots to talk about XD
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:

Spoiler:

Exactly. We also see
Spoiler:

I walked out of the force awakens loving it but now not so much. While I still like that film I find a lot of things that bother me about it now. I'm hoping that this film will have the opposite effect on me. I have a feeling it will probably get better with multiple viewings and I will appreciate it more in time.  When I watched it a second time today a scene really stood out to me.

Spoiler:

I tend to go for long posts all the time so don't worry about it. Very Happy

Regarding you're first spoilered section.
Spoiler:

I myself still love TFA, but the more think about it, the more it kind of gets to me. Like, I know as well as anyone the real world can suck, and life isn't always happy. However, at the end of Return of the Jedi, we see our heroes happy, celebrating that even if the Empire is not completely gone, their main source of power is, and they've come out on top and we know they'll win in the end. But with the old EU wiped away, minus one or two books that came out early, we are suddenly thrust into this new canon 30 years later, and everything is worse. Han and Leia are basically divorced, their son is Darth Vader .5 (2.0 would indicate he was better than Vader.), Luke made and academy and lost it, even R2 said "screw it" and shut down. Besides the parallels with ANH, and the somewhat hopeful ending, the film kind of leaves me bitter. I know 30 years is a long time, and there can be so much good and bad in 30 years, but you don't hear about any of the good at all.

That is where Rogue One actually left me kind of happy. Yes, it does lead right into the events that'll eventually end in TFA, but coupled just with A New Hope, the message of hope made me happy. Plus Rogue One was just a great film to me anyway.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 10:27 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:

Spoiler:

Exactly. We also see
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I myself still love TFA, but the more think about it, the more it kind of gets to me. Like, I know as well as anyone the real world can suck, and life isn't always happy. However, at the end of Return of the Jedi, we see our heroes happy, celebrating that even if the Empire is not completely gone, their main source of power is, and they've come out on top and we know they'll win in the end. But with the old EU wiped away, minus one or two books that came out early, we are suddenly thrust into this new canon 30 years later, and everything is worse. Han and Leia are basically divorced, their son is Darth Vader .5 (2.0 would indicate he was better than Vader.), Luke made and academy and lost it, even R2 said "screw it" and shut down. Besides the parallels with ANH, and the somewhat hopeful ending, the film kind of leaves me bitter. I know 30 years is a long time, and there can be so much good and bad in 30 years, but you don't hear about any of the good at all.

That is where Rogue One actually left me kind of happy. Yes, it does lead right into the events that'll eventually end in TFA, but coupled just with A New Hope, the message of hope made me happy. Plus Rogue One was just a great film to me anyway.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. I just want Disney to include a feature on the disc with some deleted scenes, and maybe a 20 minute feature showing how the movie  
Spoiler:

Wouldn't be surprised if Disney makes us double dip if they decide to do this.

Makes me kinda sad Gareth is leaving Godzilla TBH. Personally I like him.

On another note I'm really hyped up to see episode 8. Personally I think the director for 8 is a really interesting and exciting pick.

Bringing it back to your point about the 30 years that passed, I wonder if Disney will consider making films that take place in between that time period? They obviously couldn't be centered around the main cast but I'd be down to see some of that backstory. I expect episode 8 will be explaining this some too though (I hope).
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2016 11:50 pm

saw it today with friends. i admit to being a little underwhelmed (i may have set my expectations too high) but still thoroughly enjoyed it. didn't get as much of a "holy sh*t this is awesome!!!" feeling for alot of it as i do for some other movies, but, like i said, still loved it Smile

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 4:28 am

Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:

Spoiler:

Exactly. We also see
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I pretty much agree with everything you said. I just want Disney to include a feature on the disc with some deleted scenes, and maybe a 20 minute feature showing how the movie  
Spoiler:

On another note I'm really hyped up to see episode 8. Personally I think the director for 8 is a really interesting and exciting pick.

Bringing it back to your point about the 30 years that passed, I wonder if Disney will consider making films that take place in between that time period? They obviously couldn't be centered around the main cast but I'd be down to see some of that backstory. I expect episode 8 will be explaining this some too though (I hope).

I'm actually kind of scared though they're testing technology to keep Luke and the others young for future films. Like I want to see more, but certain characters in RO were a bit jarring at times. It mostly looked good to me but I had a couple issues. I don't think I could take wholes movies like that though.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 1:11 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:

Spoiler:

Exactly. We also see
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I'm actually kind of scared though they're testing technology to keep Luke and the others young for future films. Like I want to see more, but certain characters in RO were a bit jarring at times. It mostly looked good to me but I had a couple issues. I don't think I could take wholes movies like that though.

Same here. You know I actually made a topic on IMDB about this a week ago. Or atleast the subject. If you had told someone 20 years ago that CGI could do what they did in rogue one, people would have laughed at you. I can't imagine how tech will progress in the next 10-50 years and beyond. I wonder if some day far in the future(or sooner) if it won't matter if an actor is dead or old anymore?

I suspect that actors will start having to sign contracts to get their bodies scanned(like video games) so the studio will own their likeness in the future. It reminds me of that good old JP quote about being so concerned about whether you could or not, that didn't stop to think if you should. I totally agree that I don't want to start seeing this CGI actor thing become mainstream(in leading roles). Even if it looks perfect it just feels...... "wrong" and creepy to have something like that in a LEAD role if you know what I mean. Like let's say Mark Hamill died and they used him as CGI for a lead role. If I was his son I would personally be horrified to see my "dad" on screen if you know what I mean. Atleast that's my opinion.

Also I don't want anyone here to think I'm hating on technology. I love technology and I love what we are able to push and boundaries we can overcome. But it makes me think a lot about the future of films and actors.

Here is another long post(XD) if you're interested in more of my thoughts on the subject

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3748528/board/thread/264181412?d=264181412#264181412

Also would you be okay seeing a film set between ROTJ and TFA if it wasn't centered around OG Characters?
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 1:51 am

I loved R1. Especially the war movie feel of it, how it ties into ANH and K-2SO. The last few minutes are emotional and awesome as heck. I think I like it better than TFA.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 9:51 am

Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:

Spoiler:

Exactly. We also see
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Same here. You know I actually made a topic on IMDB about this a week ago. Or atleast the subject. If you had told someone 20 years ago that CGI could do what they did in rogue one, people would have laughed at you. I can't imagine how tech will progress in the next 10-50 years and beyond. I wonder if some day far in the future(or sooner) if it won't matter if an actor is dead or old anymore?

I suspect that actors will start having to sign contracts to get their bodies scanned(like video games) so the studio will own their likeness in the future. It reminds me of that good old JP quote about being so concerned about whether you could or not, that didn't stop to think if you should. I totally agree that I don't want to start seeing this CGI actor thing become mainstream(in leading roles).  Even if it looks perfect it just feels...... "wrong" and creepy to have something like that in a LEAD role if you know what I mean. Like let's say Mark Hamill died and they used him as CGI for a lead role. If I was his son I would personally be horrified to see my "dad" on screen if you know what I mean. Atleast that's my opinion.

Also I don't want anyone here to think I'm hating on technology.  I love technology and I love what we are able to push and boundaries we can overcome. But it makes me think a lot about the future of films and actors.

Here is another long post(XD) if you're interested in more of my thoughts on the subject

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3748528/board/thread/264181412?d=264181412#264181412

Also would you be okay seeing a film set between ROTJ and TFA if it wasn't centered around OG Characters?

Yes, the time I want most explored now is the post-RotJ time period. With the old EU wiped out, it's now the most barren period in the SW timeline. I wouldn't even mind some cameos, or more mature animated spin-offs (meaning not over the top violent or vulgar, but more Clone Wars where the good guys could lose and people die. I enjoy Rebels but for a show set in the same time period as Rogue One, it is far too upbeat.) to get around the actors aging.

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 4:00 pm

i'd be willing to bet that another of the spin-offs is a Thrawn Trilogy movie(s), adjusted to the current canon, especially since they brought him in for Rebels

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 5:41 pm

Rouge One: A Star Wars Story has made $290 million overall. $155 million domestically alone.

Needless to say, the competition was utterly destroyed.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 10:16 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/12/20/rogue-one-director-discusses-films-ending

Gareth discussion about the ending. Massive spoilers obviously.

If you've seen the film it's a must read though.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Rouge One has made slightly over $419 million dollars so far.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 6:05 pm

So far, it's made just under $555.5 million. It's domination at the box office is continuing.

Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 11:50 pm

Doesn't look likely that it will top JW then?
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 11:21 am

dance2nite wrote:
Doesn't look likely that it will top JW then?
You could just be joking, but the answer is no. But I'm kind of worried that this won't reach a billion.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 1:20 pm

Does it need to reach a billion to be a successful movie though?

also...

Carrie Fisher Passes Away

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2016 6:06 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Does it need to reach a billion to be a successful movie though?

As long as it makes at least $800 million, then it will be a success. One has to understand that Rouge One is in many ways a prototype movie since it's supposed to launch a series of movies that fills in gap in the Star Wars franchise. And when one considers how it's made over $687.87 million dollars so far, and how it's the 3rd largest domestic movie with $375 in the United States alone, it's safe to say that $800 million-$1 billion is more then likely.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2016 11:27 pm

yeah, iirc the general idea is pretty much just that, in addition to the Sequel Trilogy, they're gonna be making spin-off movies as well, now, which would fit in just about anywhere. my guess is that most of these will draw on the old EU or else (similar to Rogue One) be used to answer long-standing fandom questions or else just pander to certain fans. i'd be willing to bet that we'll eventually see spin-off movies focusing on Boba Fett and Thrawn, for example

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Star Wars thread
Page 4 of 31Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 31  Next