Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Overall Disney Thread

Go down 
+15
V.a.nublarensis
BarrytheOnyx
Rhedosaurus
tigris115
CT-1138
Dead2009
Minmi
DeiXnonychus
GwrChurchward
Sickle_Claw
Scott B
TheDreamMaster
Troyal1
Dr. Wu
Oshronosaurus
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 12, 2017 4:50 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
I learned quite a bit about the Eisner era from the guy on the left.

This was honestly one of the best NC related videos I've seen in a while, and it has almost nothing to do with Doug Walker or The Haunted Mansion film. Razz

It's fascinating to learn just why the Eisner era started out so strong and then ended up practically eating its tail. Disney certainly bounced back, but at the expense of their traditional animation heritage. I hope we can get other in-depth analyses from different people on the other studios like Warner Bros, Sony and Universal and why their success streaks came and went as they did.

1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 12, 2017 12:40 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
I learned quite a bit about the Eisner era from the guy on the left.

This was honestly one of the best NC related videos I've seen in a while, and it has almost nothing to do with Doug Walker or The Haunted Mansion film. Razz

It's fascinating to learn just why the Eisner era started out so strong and then ended up practically eating its tail. Disney certainly bounced back, but at the expense of their traditional animation heritage. I hope we can get other in-depth analyses from different people on the other studios like Warner Bros, Sony and Universal and why their success streaks came and went as they did.

And Disney has learned from that very well. It's remarkable how they went from being near-death to being so dominant. I just hope we see their traditional animation come back again someday.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 12, 2017 2:40 pm

why is the Nostalgia Critic bald all of a sudden? (i haven't watched any of his videos in a long time)

on-topic, i finally saw the remake of Beauty and the Beast earlier this week. it was good, but the original was better. it's a solid re-interpretation as a direct remake (contrast Maleficent which had the whole perspective flip thing going on)

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 3:50 pm

So Mufasa and Scar definitely aren't related.

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/08/168380/the-lion-king-scar-and-mufasa-not-brothers
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Troyal1 wrote:

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/08/168380/the-lion-king-scar-and-mufasa-not-brothers

Considering how Mufusa referred to Scar as brother in the movie, I find this hard to believe or a very pointless and dumb ret-con.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 8:52 pm

it'll probably end up being that one of them was adopted by the previous king--if that's the case, and if it's Mufasa rather than Scar, that would give more of a reason for his power-grab if he thinks he should be the rightful king because of blood. that or they're just going for a more realistic take on lion family dynamics in the remake with Scar as a rogue who shows up in Mufasa's territory and takes over that way

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 10:15 am

Troyal1 wrote:

Oh this is so not going to go over well with the millions upon millions of Lion King fans out there...

And yes, I know they're basically incorporating earlier versions of The Lion King before it became what we know it today, but this is still likely to cause a bad stir in the Disney fan community by nixing that key story point.

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Considering Mufasa literally calls Scar his brother in the movie, and both Scar and Mufasa make numerous references to being blood relatives, AND considering Disney spin off material has considered Mufasa and "Taka" brothers, I'm choosing to ignore this BS.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 4:57 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
Considering Mufasa literally calls Scar his brother in the movie, and both Scar and Mufasa make numerous references to being blood relatives, AND considering Disney spin off material has considered Mufasa and "Taka" brothers, I'm choosing to ignore this BS.

Maybe it's only counting the new movie?
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 4:59 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
CT-1138 wrote:

That would be far more acceptable, but I swear they were discussing the original in this.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 5:14 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
CT-1138 wrote:

That would be far more acceptable, but I swear they were discussing the original in this.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about the original, too.

Back to top Go down
tigris115
Hatchling
Hatchling
tigris115

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Why would you do that?
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 7:33 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
CT-1138 wrote:

Yeah they are.

Shrugs lol. I mean it's really stupid but it's coming from their mouths... why can't they leave anything sacred anymore? I mean to the fans of the original they will always be related no matter what anyone says.

They should have done that for the new movie if they wanted a twist.

Edit: this is another reason why I find canon and retcons to be silly anyway. I mean if the director won't even respect the canon then what's the point of us acknowledging it?

If anything can be changed at anytime no matter how important... I mean sorry to go on a tangent but it's just so silly. They were clearly brothers in the movie. The whole point was that he betrayed his brother, not just some random lion he was friends with is it not?
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 12:16 pm

'The Lion King' Stampede Scene Took Three Years To Complete, Says Director Rob Minkoff

http://screenrant.com/lion-king-director-producer-interview/
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Get ready for Maleficent 2.

You know, I saw the first one and while I liked Angelina Jolie's performance, I thought that the movie damaged the character a bit. Even more so considering how the 1990's Disney villains have overtaken the classic ones from the 1930's-1960's. I'm all for given a character depth, that movie was not my mug of tea. A shame since I really saw some good in it.

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 11:57 am

hm. that's odd. i didn't think Maleficent was successful enough to warrant a sequel. i liked it, personally, but i think they wrapped it up pretty well--what can they possibly expand on?

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 12:17 pm

That's the thing, as bad as Maleficent was it did at least have the decency to wrap things up pretty definitively. I don't even know what would Maleficent 2 even be about, Aurora and Maleficent filing royal taxes?!? And if its written by Linda Woolverton, then the whole thing can just get stuffed.

Sorry, but this is the one Disney remake that offends me the most for the sheer level of disdain and smugness it shows towards the original Sleeping Beauty. Stromberg and Woolverton took a great, memorable villain and made her a soppy, boring antihero who never got to be truly evil. We could have gotten an interesting villain story, and what we got wasn't even a pale shadow of that.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 02, 2017 1:33 am

Disney's dominance is increasing. It only needed five films in 2016 to beat every other studio at the box office.

https://public.tableau.com/views/DisneysRisetotheTopofBoxOffice/DisneysRisetotheTopofBoxOffice?:embed=y&:display_count=yes:showVizHome=no
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
Disney's dominance is increasing. It only needed five films in 2016 to beat every other studio at the box office.

https://public.tableau.com/views/DisneysRisetotheTopofBoxOffice/DisneysRisetotheTopofBoxOffice?:embed=y&:display_count=yes:showVizHome=no

I knew that Disney was dominant last year, but I never thought that it needed just 5 movies to crush the competition. If the upcoming Terminator movie doesn't save Paramount and it goes under and when, not if Sony goes down, then things will get a lot easier for Disney since the only major competitors it will have left are Fox and, since they've been bought by AT&T and have their debt erased, WB. I don't remember any movie studio being this dominant.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Angelina Jolie Says Maleficent 2 is Going to be a ‘Really Strong Sequel’
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/884781-angelina-jolie-says-maleficent-2-is-going-to-be-a-really-strong-sequel#HRFyioiZ2BPwJz3C.99

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Angelina Jolie Says Maleficent 2 is Going to be a ‘Really Strong Sequel’
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/884781-angelina-jolie-says-maleficent-2-is-going-to-be-a-really-strong-sequel#HRFyioiZ2BPwJz3C.99

The first movie may have made enough to have earned a sequel, does the movie really deserve it? Not only that, but unless she fights someone else who has equal magic as she does, I don't see how this can go further.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Francis Xavier “X” Atencio, legendary animator and Imagineer, has died at the age of 98.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 4:40 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Francis Xavier “X” Atencio, legendary animator and Imagineer, has died at the age of 98.

If you're a fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and films (or just the 1st one), this is a very solemn moment. Among his other accomplishments as an imagineer and animator on Fantasia and Pinocchio, he also wrote the lyrics to the famous "Yo Ho! A Pirates's Life For Me" song. In addition to this, he also co-wrote the "Grim Grinning Ghosts" song for The Haunted Mansion.

But still, he lived to the grand old age of 98, that's still astonishing to me! (Pirate) Hats off to this Disney legend!

X Marks the Spot

Michael Keaton describes Tim Burton's Dumbo as "physically beautiful"

While its nothing new for an actor to build up how good their upcoming movie is (hopefully) going to be, but he alludes that this won't look just like Tim's earlier films, and that it's the same basic story as the original but with "Tim's touch". I honestly hope this one doesn't bum me out like Bill Condon's Beauty and the Beast, but there is one thing that's holding me back from being excited - Ehren "Transformers" Kruger...

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Brad Jones as the Cinema Snob reviews the old Disney movie Song Of the South.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Mick Garris is Pretty Sure a ‘Hocus Pocus’ Sequel is Finally Being Developed
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3461428/mick-garris-pretty-sure-hocus-pocus-sequel-finally-developed/

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 10:31 am

Update: ‘Hocus Pocus’ is Getting a TV Remake
http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3461662/update-hocus-pocus-getting-tv-remake/

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Maleficent 2 Recruits Pirates 5 Director, Starts Filming in 2018

Show of hands for anyone who actually wants this??

*crickets*

Yeah, no.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 6:06 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Maleficent 2 Recruits Pirates 5 Director, Starts Filming in 2018

Show of hands for anyone who actually wants this??

*crickets*

Yeah, no.

Considering how they botched the first one, what else can they do? The only option left is to have her fight another evil witch/sorceress. While that would be cool, I really don't think that Disney will do that.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 7:32 pm

“DuckTales” Heads to Disney’s Haunted Mansion in Special Halloween Crossover!
http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3463302/ducktales-heads-disneys-haunted-mansion-special-halloween-crossover/

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2017 10:18 pm

IDW is working with Disney to make a Big Hero 6 comic.

This is more important to IDW then what people think. IDW had a 91% drop in sales recently and blamed it on Marvel comics via their own SJW problems. While that's true, a other problem is that IDW too has an SJW problem via, a transgender Transformer, one of their writers mocking 9/11, and having a trans person turn G.I. Joe into an SJW propaganda piece.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   1 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Overall Disney Thread
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next